The Knees Over Toes Guy

My comment wasn't intended to put down KOTG or his methods. In fact, I'm very much interested in them and have already incorporated some of his exercises like backwards uphill running and the nordic hamstrings to my workouts. This is thanks to you starting the thread, so much appreciated.

For the record, I'm 6'4'' with long arms. I never was a squat god but did and do DL in a respectable range. I agree that as you get older, you need to adjust your training. Closing in on 40, I do mostly lighter front squats and a lot of Bulgarian split squats these days.

I appreciate it. I am certainly not putting down your methods or squatting or deadlifting. I see great benefits of these lifts.

You said you had long arms, I am assuming you might have long legs relative to your torso height. If so, I would recommend hex bar deadlifting v. straight bar. If your legs are not extremely long v. your torso, then straight bar deadlifting might be just fine for you.

I just want the young guy who is working his tail off in the weight room and seeing little to no results (that was me for 30 years, trying every program on the planet and every variation of every lift imaginable) to try out a new method. I don't know if KOT is better for some/most/all, but I do know it is vastly better for me. And that is due to my extremely long legs and the inability to really get much good out of squatting or deadlifting in the traditional sense.

30 years of hard work in the gym is one thing. It is another when you see little to 0 results, no matter what you try, and then stumble upon something like this. I don't want someone else having to struggle for 30 years, beating their head against the wall, like I did.

Sword

Sparrow
So for squats should I literally be going all the way to the floor? Im flexible enough to do it. When I am that far done it doesnt feel like my butt is pulling me out of it.

So for squats should I literally be going all the way to the floor? Im flexible enough to do it. When I am that far done it doesnt feel like my butt is pulling me out of it.
With traditional two leg squats - everything I read was that the deeper you go, the better it is, even if the weight will be obviously lighter.

ATG Split Squats are meant to go all the way down. With the ATG Split Squat, going all the way down not only fully works the muscles, it works your flexibility as well. To get all the way down with an ATG Split Squat takes time and work to get that flexible. 7 months in and I am still using 2 inch Yellow Pages book under my front foot.

r3d

Woodpecker
With traditional two leg squats - everything I read was that the deeper you go, the better it is, even if the weight will be obviously lighter.

ATG Split Squats are meant to go all the way down. With the ATG Split Squat, going all the way down not only fully works the muscles, it works your flexibility as well. To get all the way down with an ATG Split Squat takes time and work to get that flexible. 7 months in and I am still using 2 inch Yellow Pages book under my front foot.

How long did you have to stretch before you could an ATG squat with proper form? Just curious. I've been at it 2 weeks and I'm still a long way out. Though I get noticeably better each time, very rewarding.

How long did you have to stretch before you could an ATG squat with proper form? Just curious. I've been at it 2 weeks and I'm still a long way out. Though I get noticeably better each time, very rewarding.

I've been doing ATG Split squats for 7 months now and I still need a 2" lift under my front foot and I use assistance to balance on the way down for the first few reps until I get my grove.

So I still cannot fully do them. But I get closer every workout and I get more reps in a deeper range. So it gets better and I can see muscles/size in my legs that I never saw in the previous decades of lifting. So it is working.