The Matt Walsh Thread

Cynllo

Kingfisher
Other Christian

It was interesting seeing him field those questions.

On the broader Con, Inc. movement, it appears to me that there has been a carefully crafted strategy, which is they wrap themselves in the battle of the culture war. To be on the right-wing side of that (largely non-war) is essentially be rebellious, transgression etc. They have used that as their main selling point, but it is wrapping for the Trojan horse of social and economic liberalism.

I think Bill Kristol used to be the figurehead of Con, Inc. and the intellectual right. Regardless of whatever Trump was up to, one good thing he was responsible for was the virtual end of the neoconservatives within the right. The neocons are now essentially within and welcome in The Democratic Party. Since then Shapiro has been cemented as the figurehead of Con, Inc.

I have heard Shapiro say a few times that the bottom-line is that the two sides in America have to agree to let each other live their lives, as they wish. So people can become trans or they can choose not to bake a cake for trans-people and not face recrimination. So, although Shapiro may live his life in a conservative manner, he is fine if you do not, so long as you allow him the same. But, this is not conservative. It's libertarian, or liberal.

"The culture war" wrapper also contains within it, economic liberalism, which is to say that if businesses can do what they want, the results will be generally good. This has no bearing on previous conservative ideas or Christian teachings. It is liberalism.

These donors have woefully failed in this effort, as America is towards the high end of government spending as a percentage of GDP. If the government handled healthcare, then America would be maybe the 2nd or 3rd most taxed country after Cuba. They have also woefully failed in social liberalism, where people can do most of what they want "just as long is it does not directly infringe on others". As they live in a country where left-wing constituencies can do much of what they want; and right-wing ones just have to go away.

Libertarianism is a pipe-dream. It is born of a relatively rare temperament that only a small percentage of the population have. It could only be a social-political reality via a dictatorship. Once the dictatorship looses control, so to would the libertarian environment disappear.

Most of the front-facing people in Con, Inc. probably believe most of what they say, but they have virtually no institutional access from which they could make any changes. And the people who control the movement have made the decision that it's best to try and make a voting-block out of conservative Americans and allegedly conservative immigrants. The Groypers pushed them on that point. Charlie Kirk went from handing out green cards left and right to lamenting the deliberate decline of white demographics. He didn't make that leap on his own.

On such a heritage + immigrant voting block. It doesn't work. The UK Labour Party sought to fashion a voting block out of the working-class, university educated leftists and immigrants. It fell apart and now the fake conservative party are trying to put together the same coalition but with the sharp-elbowed middle-class rather than leftists. Already failed.

This relates to one point that Walsh brings up in this video. That is that America is not a country - it has no unifying principle. But he thinks that you can bring together people from all over the world, with vastly different ideas and suddenly fashion a unifying principle ... with a liberal-leftist dominated institutions. There isn't such an example without an authoritarian power letting everyone know where they have to stand. Again, take that power out, and history shows there is no unifying principle among these people.

This is brightly-coloured choreographed astroturf:

191022-TRUMP-JR-KIRK-TURNING-POINT-CSU-37.jpg

My guess on Walsh is he means most of what he says, but his idea of what can work (a unified mass immigration zone) is not working now and he has no idea how to make it work. On top of that he has clearly moved to the right along with all/most other Con, Inc. personalities. Walsh doesn't need to know any specific agenda above his head. You can find enough people like Walsh, wind them up and watch them go. Someone like Greenwald has more integrity.

Cynllo

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Whoever is out of power and against the current cultural trends will be the ones clamoring the most for their right to free speech. Once they get a seat at the table and establish their position, all the idealism about free speech goes out the window and it's all about fortifying their position and keeping people from able to challenge their power. That's why in the past it was the left that championed free speech the most and now in the the last decade it's been the right that is now fighting for free speech.

This is spot on. Though I think it's more complicated than that. I've seen a lot of polls and from observation, I would say people who are right-leaning are naturally more in favour of free speech.

You are right that free speech was used by the left to weaken the remnants of a functional society; and once they got power, the principle of free speech was quickly forgotten. The relatively small number of people who are genuine liberal and libertarian believers have been ejected from the left; because they actually believe in principles that could be universal (if only most people believed them). The actual left (minus the power structure) is only interested in establishing an environment that is comfortable for them. One in which competitiveness, excellence, individualism are attacked. i.e. they attack the natural leaders and doers of society, so they can be comfortable. Most don't even care about being successful, they just don't want others reminding them they are not. All of their claimed principles are only used to remove competition and achieve that environment. When one of their own tramples all over their alleged principles (e.g. Justin Trudeau black face 3X), the principles suddenly disappear, as what they really support is the power structure that providers the safe, easy, managed society that is good for them.

On the other hand, conservatives are opposed to such a safe, easy and managed society. They don't really need, want and are insulted by this pathetic nannying which dominates society. They would like to rise and sink on their own merits and are much more likely to see materially successful people as allies, rather than oppressors. They don't need or want to use free speech to henpeck society into a nanny state; while leftists are dependant on it. Thus being against free speech is more of a left-wing position when they are in power, as opposed to a right-wing position when they are in power. Further, you can see in this recent study that the right (who are being pummelled and have very little institutional presence where they heavily self-censor) are much softer than the left when they are in power.

I have observed that the left are extremely lenient in letting their leaders off the hook for trampling all over their alleged principles. Maybe the best example is all the anti-war Obama supporters who didn't want to know about Barry's adventures and drone programs. Conversely, the majority of the Trump base was incensed when he threw a few missiles into Syria. I also noted how all of the right-wing voices I've known for 20 years or so never supported the establishment Republican candidates - Bush, Romney, McCain. They were as against them as they were Gore, Obama and Crooked H. Yet I would always see the more off-grid left support someone like Nader or Bernie and say how abominable the establishment Dem candidate was. Then they would emphatically get behind the establishment Dem candidate. It was now the Republican who was abominable and a Nazi. Again, this is because leftists are dependant on the safe, easy (for them) managed bureaucracy. Conservative actually tend to have the principles they claim to have.

This is one reason why democracies always swim left. The other is that most people are inclined to social liberalism if they have excess capital beyond subsistence.

The only people who are naturally in favour of free speech are liberals and libertarians, who both believe in the power of their ideas to win out the court of ideas. And many of their ideas are quite good, but only if most people really agree with them, which they don't.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
Being married to a woman like the one in the video would be torture. She doesn't even have decent looks to make up for her racist and woke values. Even for a black man, I can't imagine such a woman would be pleasant to be married to.

I am glad Matt Walsh is not ashamed of the color of skin he had the misfortune to be born with.

This video does make me wonder if white men that 'transition' to black men will be accepted in the new America as was a theme for the classic movie 'Soul Man.'

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
I found this funny. Why not just create a new snack with a female name similar to Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-man? Now they lose male customers to get female (plus a few shemale) customers and I am sure most baseball fans are male.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
What people usually don't know about Matt Walsh is that he was a popular independent blogger for years before he joined up with Daily Wire in... maybe 2013-14? And in the last few years he started doing video content as well. Maybe he is to some extent controlled opposition but being familiar with his old blog content from about a decade ago, I haven't noticed his perspective having really changed that much from back in those days.

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Walsh was with Glenn Beck's The Blaze before he joined Daily Wire. He didn't have the same reach he did since he hadn't quite mastered the art of (righteous) Twitter trolling yet but he pretty much had the same stances he does now and he had the same sort of sardonic sense of humor and wit. I remember loling at this video he did while sitting in his car on transgenderism where he talked about how it would be better it would we were all just one amorphous blob with no distinct characteristics.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
Matt Walsh doesn't seem to like the idea of female pastors. It seems that we can add Presbyterians as a woke denomination that has lost its way. How can people feel comfortable attending such a church service?

What Christian denomination has not been corrupted by the woke crowd?

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
He makes a good point that just because a father is physically in the home doesn't mean that the home is not a fatherless home.

These are parents that just want to be friends and be 'cool' and 'trendy' and likely care more about social media approval over raising decent kids.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
I worked in China and I was asked many times where I am from and it didn't bother me. This is a common basic question to ask when meeting someone. Even a lot of Chinese were asked this when meeting each other because the city had a lot of migrants from various other cities. If someone complains to me if I ask where he or she is from, I will mention this and ask why it bothers him or her.

It seems some Asian leftists living in western nations only think this happens to Asian people. If they dislike being in a place where they stand out, they should stay in their home country.

dicknixon72

Pelican
I worked in China and I was asked many times where I am from and it didn't bother me. This is a common basic question to ask when meeting someone. Even a lot of Chinese were asked this when meeting each other because the city had a lot of migrants from various other cities. If someone complains to me if I ask where he or she is from, I will mention this and ask why it bothers him or her.

It seems some Asian leftists living in western nations only think this happens to Asian people. If they dislike being in a place where they stand out, they should stay in their home country.

My mother is Taiwanese and I am very clearly of somewhere else facially. You know who always asks me where I'm from without fail?

Other Orientals.

So, check your own privilege first, Wang Chung...

P.S. My favorite part of that video is the Chinese Jew. C'mon...

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
Doesn't Ben Shapiro cut this guy's paychecks?
He also cuts checks for Michael Knowles. While I'm very dubious of anyone who takes his shekels, they both seem to be making young, Catholic men ask good questions that are pushing them back to Tradition. While I don't think that is their intention, it's certainly a by-product. Once Shapiro realizes this we will see if they become muzzled, speak out against Traditionalists or part ways with the little man. There's really only two paths ahead for them and we will see sooner rather than later which they choose. In the words of Robert Frost, hopefully "the one less travel by..".

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
He also cuts checks for Michael Knowles. While I'm very dubious of anyone who takes his shekels, they both seem to be making young, Catholic men ask good questions that are pushing them back to Tradition. While I don't think that is their intention, it's certainly a by-product. Once Shapiro realizes this we will see if they become muzzled, speak out against Traditionalists or part ways with the little man. There's really only two paths ahead for them and we will see sooner rather than later which they choose. In the words of Robert Frost, hopefully "the one less travel by..".
Shapiro is Orthodox Jewish which is a bit more traditional vs. the typical Jews you see in Hollywood that seem confused about rules discussed in the Torah. Orthodox Jews agree with traditional Catholics on many rules such as ones regarding adultery, marriage, and abortion. One thing they might disagree with is war in the Middle East. Shapiro is a neo-con when it comes to this.

I would say that Shapiro is more traditional than Biden who is the first Catholic president since JFK and it makes me wonder if the Catholic religion must have split between the real one that Knowles and Walsh must follow and the light version that Biden follows.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
My mother is Taiwanese and I am very clearly of somewhere else facially. You know who always asks me where I'm from without fail?

Other Orientals.

So, check your own privilege first, Wang Chung...

P.S. My favorite part of that video is the Chinese Jew. C'mon...
Kaifeng is famed for its Jewish past. Perhaps her ancestors are from this city.

Enoch

Hummingbird
Shapiro is Orthodox Jewish which is a bit more traditional vs. the typical Jews you see in Hollywood that seem confused about rules discussed in the Torah. Orthodox Jews agree with traditional Catholics on many rules such as ones regarding adultery, marriage, and abortion. One thing they might disagree with is war in the Middle East. Shapiro is a neo-con when it comes to this.

I would say that Shapiro is more traditional than Biden who is the first Catholic president since JFK and it makes me wonder if the Catholic religion must have split between the real one that Knowles and Walsh must follow and the light version that Biden follows.
They also disagree on a rather important point. Who or what was Jesus? According to Shapiro, Jesus was just another Jew who tried to overthrow the Roman empire and got crucified for his troubles.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
They also disagree on a rather important point. Who or what was Jesus? According to Shapiro, Jesus was just another Jew who tried to overthrow the Roman empire and got crucified for his troubles.
Yes, I know they are not 100% in agreement. However, my guess is still that Shapiro is closer to their views on most issues vs. Biden which is shocking considering Biden shares their faith. Shapiro at least seems more serious about his religion than Biden.

I think on most issues (especially cultural ones), the speakers on The Daily Wire agree although there are slight variations between the hosts. I would guess Matt Walsh is the most traditional but I have only watched Andrew Klaven a few times and I have only seen a few clips from Candace Owens.