Clergy & Monastics The Monastery Experience

Sol Invictus

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
I've been wanting to visit a monastery for a while now, and I'm hoping to be able to do this next month. There are actually two different monasteries in my state, one a Greek Orthodox monastery for male monastics (St. Anthony's) and a female one under ROCOR (St. Paisius). I saw Roosh's video about his visit to St. Anthony's in Arizona a couple of years ago, but I would be interested in hearing about other's experiences at a monastery, either from just a quick visit or an extended stay. What was your visit like? Was there anything unusual about your experience? What should one expect when visiting a monastery?

NickK

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I stayed one night at a local monastery with the intention of testing myself becoming a novice monk in the future.

I didn't last one night.

I had a terrible headache, couldn't sleep, didn't attend the morning liturgy and by sunrise I was gone. :laughter:

HKBhusal

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
For a day trip community service project through my church, I visited a small orthodox monastery for nuns. We chopped up firewood to prepare the monastery for the winter season. Very quaint experience and rewarding.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I've been wanting to visit a monastery for a while now, and I'm hoping to be able to do this next month. There are actually two different monasteries in my state, one a Greek Orthodox monastery for male monastics (St. Anthony's) and a female one under ROCOR (St. Paisius). I saw Roosh's video about his visit to St. Anthony's in Arizona a couple of years ago, but I would be interested in hearing about other's experiences at a monastery, either from just a quick visit or an extended stay. What was your visit like? Was there anything unusual about your experience? What should one expect when visiting a monastery?
There are many different ways to approach a visit, so you have to ask yourself what you are seeking. To start, I would find out their service schedule and bookstore hours, and try to plan a trip around that if going just for the day. If you like the day trip, perhaps plan a longer trip in the future. If you would like to talk to a monk or priest, it would be worth contacting them before.

For a first visit, my expectation would be to attend a service that feels like the "major leagues" and buying an edifying book or two.

Sol Invictus

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
For my first visit, I would definitely just want to do a day trip, just to check out the monastery and see how the environment is. Talking to a monk would probably be on the list as well.