The Motorcycle Thread

kaotic

Owl
Gold Member
Southern California weather has me riding non stop - except some rainy days or cold ass nights.

Riding during the day in the winter here isn't bad at all.

roberto

Pelican
Gold Member
I got mine going again today. She wasn't happy. Doesn't do them any good to be left outside in the rain. I used it only a month ago, but she wouldn't fire. Cleaned the plug contacts and sprayed brake cleaner down the inlet until she eventually caught and started spluttering enough to draw some fuel through the carb. Really should strip the carbs but its so old and such a pain in the arse to get to the carbs that I just did it the animalistic way. Will park her inside and start her up every week from now on.

Malone

Pelican
Gold Member
I am trying to sell my XR1200 to switch it to another bike, so it's been in a commissioned shop for a couple months. Really starting to miss having a bike. :/

I bought a Triumph T120 Black Graphite and a Black and Grey Honda Grom at the end of January. I live in St Louis, Missouri and I have been riding both the last two months. (I do not own a car.) The weather here has been crazy. It snowed again the other day. I had the dealer put some dual sport tires on my Triumph and I am glad they did. Where I work, the roads are so bad, I should have bought an enduro.

So, after I come back from my vacation in June. I am going to dump the Grom and get something like the KTM Duke 390 or a similar sized supermoto that I can drive on the interstate. Oh, and I am not fucking with a carburetor anymore, either.

It's now mid may so there should be some bike action now the winter has gone.

Let's revive this thread. What are you riding?

I ride a Honda Africa Twin 750 from the 90s.

Blackfriar: my buddy just got a new (2018) T100 and he's loving it. He's putting in lots of miles because he wants to take it to San Diego next summer. It sounds great on the stock exhaust; cruise control, heated grips, ABS and traction control... this ain't your Daddy's Triumph.

I hear you re: carbs. I have a ZX11D and it's really finicky at the start of the season. If I don't do the gas stabilizer ritual just right when I put it away I have to take them off to clean them out; the choke is very touchy as well, with a fraction of a mm between 'perfect' and 'too much'. I still love the bike though, pulls like a beast.

Took the bike over to the next valley to catch up with some friends.

On the way back I decided to go home over the top of the mountains and off road. Saw cows, deer, Fox and a squirrel and the bike was handling beautifully on the loose stuff.

Home now and I’ve got that nice light fatigue of knowing I’ve been throwing a bike bike around off road.

Callixtus

Robin
Looking to get into adventure/dual sport riding. Never been on anything with two wheels and a motor in my life. Done plenty of ATV and mtn bike riding, some skills are transferable I imagine.

Any recommendations on a first bike? I've narrowed it down to DR-Z400S, KLR 650, and WR250R. I'm a little turned off by the KLR's weight, but I have two buddies who ride them as their first.

My plan is to get my bike and all my gear in order before I take my MSF course so I can immediately hit the road and hone my skills after being certified.

Little about me and the riding I want to do:

- 28, 6'2", 200 lb and fit.
- looking to ride mostly trails with about a 45-60 min ride to the nearest destination on 50 MPH or so county roads.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Mr. Ripley

Sparrow
It really depends on how you like to ride.
The WRR like to rev, has a wide ratio gearbox and has updated suspension.
Whereas, the DRZ is a lot more torquey and is carbureted.

Callixtus

Robin
Yeah, I've done a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos on those two bikes. I can see pros and cons to each.

I'm leaning more towards the DR-Z at the moment. I like the simplicity of the carb over fuel injection and they're more available and about $1000 less on the used market in my area. Not to mention the aftermarket seems to be a little more extensive on that bike as well.

Both hold their values really well from what I've heard, worst case if one doesn't work out for me I can change it up next season and not lose out too much.

Also after talking to one of my buddies, he's advised against the KLR for our trails around here. He's gotten into some situations where he would've prefered a leaner bike. Decisions, decisions...

I also need to factor in the terrain here, too. There's very little flat land around here. The torque of the DR-Z may be preferable

RoadKill503 said:
Looking to get into adventure/dual sport riding. Never been on anything with two wheels and a motor in my life. Done plenty of ATV and mtn bike riding, some skills are transferable I imagine.

Any recommendations on a first bike? I've narrowed it down to DR-Z400S, KLR 650, and WR250R. I'm a little turned off by the KLR's weight, but I have two buddies who ride them as their first.

My plan is to get my bike and all my gear in order before I take my MSF course so I can immediately hit the road and hone my skills after being certified.

Little about me and the riding I want to do:

- 28, 6'2", 200 lb and fit.
- looking to ride mostly trails with about a 45-60 min ride to the nearest destination on 50 MPH or so county roads.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Get yourself over to advrider. They literally discuss this topic every day.

Rode over a mountain pass today go have lunch in Italy. Wentwith4 mates.

So many bikers out it looked like a bike convention at the top of the pass.

Tex Cruise

Pelican
Ski pro said:
So many bikers out it looked like a bike convention at the top of the pass.

This video is one of my favourite bits of road, note the brilliantly positioned Pie Shop at the top of the pass. You should see all the bikes there on a sunny weekend.

kaotic

Owl
Gold Member
Went to the biggest biker event here on the West Coast USA - man if you're trying to save money, this is the worst place to go.

So much cool shit to look at, shit to buy, ideas for your own bike, from parts to paint jobs.

After my recent trip to Italy, I decided I needed a bike with a bit more power.

Upgraded my old one to a more recent KTM adventure with a bigger engine. Picking her up this week.

I now have two bikes. Not sure to sell the original or try to do a full restoration and then sell at a profit. Or just keep it.