The Movie Thread

demolition

Woodpecker
Tail Gunner said:
I just watched the Disney film "John Carter of Mars," which I enjoyed. It is an old-style adventure story based on the Barsoom Series, written by Edgar Rice Burroughs in the 1910's-1920's, published in newspapers and magazines, and eventually collected into books.

It is a classic science fiction / fantasy film without much SJW garbage, except for a sword fighting princess of Mars, which was probably part of the original story. Burroughs created the idea of ships that sailed on light even before solar power was invented. As an Earthman, John Carter has great strength in the low gravity of Mars, so he was an early superhero (kind of like Superman, who had great strength because he came from another world). Worth a watch.

BTW: There is also a very interesting subplot about a small group of men hidden within society (on both Earth and Mars) who intentionally cause societal strife and violence for the purpose of feeding off it. Considering what is happening in modern society, that subplot may resonate with some viewers.

The movie is actually surprisingly faithful to the books, given that this is a 100 year old property with no substantial IP holder fighting for proper adaptation.

The movie blends some elements from the 1st and 2nd books together. But the major plotline beats are done well.
Some of the noticeable deviations are at the beginning, when the film goes out of its way to depict the US Military as aggressive/evil rather than the AmerIndians. Dejah Thoris is far more action-heroine in this film too. In the book, the most she does aggressively is shine a light. The book never presents human women as equal to men as fighters, as that's not particularly credible in this swashbuckling type of tale. The books' depiction of the Tharks (15ft green men) would probably be considered extremely offensive today, though it's simply honest rather than propagandistic.

I read the books some time ago mixed in with some other modern fiction, and aside from the 1st book (which isn't great, it has rocky pacing) I found them more entertaining than the contemporary works.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
newlife said:
The Yoji Yamada Samurai Trilogy is great. All 3 films depict masculine gentleman and soft feminine women. Great stories of honor.

I have seen "The Hidden Blade" twice. It is a truly outstanding film.

I did not realize that the director had done two other samurai movies. I just ordered the other two films.

CaptainS

Hummingbird
Linda Hamilton, what did you do to yourself? I hope all that smoking was worth it because her voice is deeper than Arnold's - and her face looks a LOT older.

Captainstabbin said:
Linda Hamilton, what did you do to yourself? I hope all that smoking was worth it because her voice is deeper than Arnold's - and her face looks a LOT older.

She looks rough for 62.

But what is more shocking and oh-so-balanced is the Mexinator killing lots and lots of US Border guards. He had a fucking smile on his face doing it - must be a Liberal and Mexican-Immigrant dream of sorts slaughtering border agents.

They really are getting as subtle as sledgehammers with their shitty propaganda.

Remember - don't give Hollywood any cent anymore - at the very least boycotting anything that has so fucking much propaganda in it.

Syberpunk

Pelican
Gold Member
Simeon_Strangelight said:
Captainstabbin said:

She looks rough for 62.

But what is more shocking and oh-so-balanced is the Mexinator killing lots and lots of US Border guards. He had a fucking smile on his face doing it - must be a Liberal and Mexican-Immigrant dream of sorts slaughtering border agents.

They really are getting as subtle as sledgehammers with their shitty propaganda.

Remember - don't give Hollywood any cent anymore - at the very least boycotting anything that has so fucking much propaganda in it.

An 18 rated version of same trailer has been released:

I can't believe, I'm saying this but aside from the propaganda it feels far more earnest and character driven than I expected. That was a one bad teaser trailer they released months ago.

Richard Turpin

Kingfisher
Terminator and T2 have a big place in my heart. I started lifting weights the day I bought 'Muscle & Fitness' with Arnold on the cover promoting his (then unknown) big break into movies; The Terminator! I still get goosebumps when I watch that film.

I certainly won't be paying to watch this new one (same old overused motifs, globohomo agenda-pushing etc). I'll hate-watch it on download at some point. Hopefully at least the sfx will be good, so maybe some techno-nerd can edit out the shit bits and make a decent 15 minute short film out of it.

< Oh I missed also the first scene where the white patriarchal cops attack a naked woman and she takes them all out. Guess the feminazi liberal crowd cheered at that too - we all know that cops shoot down naked women in some remote locations constantly, the policeman likely wanted to rape her and called for backup.

Fucking A..... And the Mexinator released all the innocent border-hopping immigrants from their cells while murdering the border agents - how very progressive.

renotime

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
I saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood for the second time. Brad Pitt is fucking cool as hell in this movie. He's basically John Wayne, if John Wayne was a stuntman and occasionally did acid. One of my favorite scenes was when Pitt dropped off Leo and drove back to his shitty trailer in Van Nuys. LA must have been incredible back in the day. And that violent scene with Vanilla Fudge blasting in the background. Gawd damn.

Best movie of the year.

renotime

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
How can it remind you of something if you haven't seen it? Plus, Mann and Tarantino are very different filmmakers. Mann is always going for realism while Tarantino is borderline satire.

Sombro

Ostrich
Agnostic
renotime said:
How can it remind you of something if you haven't seen it?

Becasue the description just stated reminded me of a movie where:

a) There was a violent scene; and
b) Vanilla Fudge was playing in the background.
c) and I played said clip.

I have no idea whether it's similar or not, just obviously pointing out that there are only so many movies where:

a) There was a violent scene; and
b) Vanilla Fudge was playing in the background.

Seriously, do I have to explain it any further?

Syberpunk

Pelican
Gold Member
Richard Turpin said:
Terminator and T2 have a big place in my heart. I started lifting weights the day I bought 'Muscle & Fitness' with Arnold on the cover promoting his (then unknown) big break into movies; The Terminator! I still get goosebumps when I watch that film.

I certainly won't be paying to watch this new one (same old overused motifs, globohomo agenda-pushing etc). I'll hate-watch it on download at some point. Hopefully at least the sfx will be good, so maybe some techno-nerd can edit out the shit bits and make a decent 15 minute short film out of it.

I don't what drug I was on the other day, when I mildly liked that trailer...

God its so sad to see the series got some of its original actors from the Cameron films for.....this.

The first film was what got me into learning keyboard (that and to play some Final Fantasy music on it)

But you know what I'm really sick of? In every modern CGI heavy film? CGI fire and muddy looking backgrounds, CGI fire and explosions. GGI fireballs for the last 10 years are getting worse and worse.

Solitaire

Robin
I watched "Endgame" with a friend, last weekend. I know I'm late to the party, but I wasn't about to pay any amount of money to watch it, so just getting around to it. It's on Netflix now so we sat through it. His teen sons liked it enough to watch again. His wife seemed to enjoy most of it, though even she groaned along with my buddy and me when the grrlpower BS happened at the retarded final battle scene.

I sat through it partly because I had nothing better to do, also that I wanted to be able to see the SJW spectacle myself. This entire movie was utter nonsense. The dialog was godawful. Pacing was nonexistent. CGI was mostly rotten. The whole thing was way too long. Dumb self-referential in-jokes every three minutes. I might have laughed once or twice, at Tony Stark's one-liners; that's it. Turning Thor into Lebowski was as ham-fisted a move as I've ever seen in my life. This was trash, down to the last second.

Solitaire

Robin
jcrew247 said:
Has anyone seen the movie Birthday Girl with
Nicole Kidman?

Its about a guy that gets a Russian Bride.
I'm interested in going to Ukrane as well, so looking forward to seeing it soon.

I did watch this, a few years ago - with my now ex-wife, a Russian girl I met in Tatarstan, 1998. I remember a few bits about it, but pretty much anything I say would spoil it. It's set in England, so don't know about their immigration laws, but here in the states a 'mail order bride' isn't really possible. American citizens have to go out of the country to meet their intended, before either marrying them outside the country, or bringing them to the US on a K-1 visa (K-2 for any children). If you do watch it, come back and tell us what you thought.

Here's some more SJW editing of history:

This is based on the flights of the close to edge of Space by James Glashier and Henry Coxwell. Eddie Redmayne plays James Glashier - so who plays Henry Coxwell? He's not in the movie. He's been replaced by a woman called Amelia Wren who never existed. Also in the trailer Amelia is portrayed as the stronger and more talented of the two.

There's also an Indian guy playing a character called John Trew in the trailer, what the fuck is that about?!

Here's an article about the real guys:

Two Aeronauts Break World Record for Altitude in a Balloon

On 5 September 1862, James Glaisher and Dr. Henry Tracey Coxwell ascended in a hot air balloon to an estimated 11,000 metres above sea-level in what was at the time the greatest altitude in a manned balloon ever recognised.

Glaisher was a meteorologist based in Greenwich, England. Like Coxwell, who was a dentist, he was a pioneering balloonist in an era when large crowds gathered to watch ascents in a form of popular entertainment. The September 1862 flight, however, which was one of many the pair carried out, was undertaken for scientific purposes–in order to take measurements of the atmosphere’s temperature and humidity.

In order to take the necessary measurements, Glaisher and Coxwell are said to have brought upwards of seventeen instruments in their basket along with the obligatory sandbags. The instruments would have to be monitored throughout the flight in order to successfully record the moisture levels.

Within 30 minutes of take-off, the balloon broke the world record as they reached 8,000 metres above sea-level. After this incredible feat, Glaisher and Coxwell were, quite literally, in unknown territory, as very little was known at the time about the effect of flying at such an altitude. As the balloon continued to rise through the atmosphere, the two men began to have considerable difficulty breathing and were almost unable to disentangle a cord used to release gas and begin their descent.

Fortunately, after losing and regaining consciousness, Coxwell managed to grip the cord with his teeth and the balloon finally began its descent back to Earth. The actual altitude their balloon reached that day is unknown, as neither was capable of taking a reading. But estimates range from 9,000 to over 11,000 metres, easily breaking the world record at the time.

< Yeah - inspired by a true story and changed it fully by our cultural marxist propaganda department filled to the brim with feminazis and non-binary tri-genders.

It has also almost a fantasty movie feel to it, but I guess that is how the dumbed down populace likes it. Don't show us reality, show us how stronk wahmen and diverse men made the West's accomplishments happen. That way we may believe in the lies right until the West strangely collapses - obviously for reasons of being damaged by the straight White patriarchy.