The Movie Thread

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Oh right, I forgot. To be honest some of the dialogue didn't really grab me, it was more about the physicality of the movie and all the misunderstandings.

And of course nostalgia for a time when men and women could have normal conversations, ie the diner scene where he's reading Henry Miller.

Hypno

Hummingbird
For those with AMC: they are having breaking bad marathons each Sunday, leading up to their broadcast of El Camino, and then Season 5 of Better Call Saul. Season 4 of Better Call Saul drops on Netflix in the U.S. Feb. 9.

they are also having a Dirty Harry marathon. Not sure when, I just autorecorded it.

Kurgan

Kingfisher
I forgot to mention I saw 1917 a few weeks ago. You don't see many films about World War I. I thought it was well-paced and kept me wanting to see more. I can't believe woke jerk-offs were hating on this because of a lack of diversity when you clearly saw Indian and Black troops in the fight. Probably because there was no women in it. Pffttt.

Does anyone know of how any other movies set in World War I?

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Kurgan said:
I watched "Journey's End" this past weekend. More about the psychological toll of war than about the battles. Very well-acted. Worth a watch.

Another one that pops to mind is "Paths of Glory," which is a 1957 American anti-war film with Kirk Douglas directed by Stanley Kubrick. You cannot go wrong with Kirk Douglas or Stanley Kubrick.

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
Zagor said:
Watched The Gentlemen. Typical Guy Ritchie. If you liked Snatch, you'll like this, even though it's not as good.

Actually I just saw THE GENTLEMEN a few nights ago and I think its Ritchie's best work yet. SNATCH was good (though LOCK STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS was better IMO) but THE GENTLEMEN which was definitely in the same vein (Brit gangster / crime genre) ; but this was more polished story telling while somehow maintaining a slightly menacing feel to a very funny film.

Great characters by a great cast . Mathew McConaghey was great as always but Colin Ferrell was brilliant and Hugh Grant was phenomenal and showed some real range and acting chops. Id be surprised not to see Hugh nominated for supporting actor awards next year.

Good all round fun movie and worth seeing in theater.

Athanasius

Kingfisher
Couple of additional WWI films.

- All Quiet on the Western Front. Great novel. There's a classic 1930 film by that name with Lew Ayres, which I have not fully seen, but I have seen a very good Hallmark movie produced in 1979 with Richard Thomas in the lead role.

- They Shall Not Grow Old. I've been wanting to see this and actually confused it with the movie 1917. It's a Peter Jackson colorized documentary.

Athanasius said:

- All Quiet on the Western Front. Great novel. There's a classic 1930 film by that name with Lew Ayres, which I have not fully seen, but I have seen a very good Hallmark movie produced in 1979 with Richard Thomas in the lead role.

- They Shall Not Grow Old. I've been wanting to see this and actually confused it with the movie 1917. It's a Peter Jackson colorized documentary.
Another movie you should check out is "Stalingrad" it is a German film produced in 1993. I feel like its way better then "Enemy at the Gates".

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
petaraki95 said:
Athanasius said:

Another movie you should check out is "Stalingrad" it is a German film produced in 1993. I feel like its way better then "Enemy at the Gates".
We are discussing WWI films, not WWII films. There are many great WWII films, not so many WWI films.

Salinger

Woodpecker
I wish they'd make a WWI film about Manfred von Richthofen. It would have to be an independent film though because no Jewish-run studio would want to touch that. I know there was an old film about him, but from what I remember it sucked.

With today's technology and a conservative use of CGI, the fight scenes would be much more impressive and there is a good story there to tell. He starts out as a cavalry officer when he enters the war, then joining the air service and gaining fame, later forming The Flying Circus with all of the Elite German pilots, followed by him getting injured in a dogfight and having to crash land his plane. And of course, ultimately getting shot down and killed before the war ends.

After typing this, I now see there was a film called The Red Baron released in 2008. Anyone see it?

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
Salinger said:
I wish they'd make a WWI film about Manfred von Richthofen....The Flying Circus with all of the Elite German pilots, followed by him getting injured in a dogfight and having to crash land his plane. And of course, ultimately getting shot down and killed before the war ends.
T
After typing this, I now see there was a film called The Red Baron released in 2008. Anyone see it?
Yes I remember that movie

Prufrock

Robin
Kurgan said:
Another great WWI movie that hasn't been mentioned yet is Gallipoli (1981).

Directed by Peter Weir (Master and Commander, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Dead Poets Society, Witness, etc). Gallipoli also features Mel Gibson in a supporting role.

The trailer on YouTube is low resolution, so here are the first and final scenes. Obviously the final scene contains a spoiler, so don't watch all the way to the end if that kind of thing ruins the movie for you. Personally, I find that spoilers only ruin shallow, gimmicky movies. That is not the case here.

Also, don't forget to check out the original translation of Ernst Jünger's Storm of Steel, which was out of print for many decades. An independent publishing house called Mystery Grove made it available again this past fall. I purchased a physical copy on Amazon, and they gave me the kindle version for free as well.

M3B

Ostrich
Gold Member
PapayaTapper said:
Zagor said:
Watched The Gentlemen. Typical Guy Ritchie. If you liked Snatch, you'll like this, even though it's not as good.
Actually I just saw THE GENTLEMEN a few nights ago and I think its Ritchie's best work yet. SNATCH was good (though LOCK STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS was better IMO) but THE GENTLEMEN which was definitely in the same vein (Brit gangster / crime genre) ; but this was more polished story telling while somehow maintaining a slightly menacing feel to a very funny film.

Great characters by a great cast . Mathew McConaghey was great as always but Colin Ferrell was brilliant and Hugh Grant was phenomenal and showed some real range and acting chops. Id be surprised not to see Hugh nominated for supporting actor awards next year.

Good all round fun movie and worth seeing in theater.
Agreed. Thought it was fantastic.

Didn't like the Charlie Hunnam character at first. Thought he was trying to be a bit too much like Tom Hardy, but then he grew on me as the film developed.

griffinmill

Kingfisher
renotime said:
Watched what might be Scorsese's most underrated and unknown movie last night, it's called After Hours. It was made in the 80s and of course it was shot in New York. Clocking in at an hour and 40 minutes it might be the shortest movie Scorsese has ever made.
It's a great film and one of my favourite Scorsese films. It's surreal but always maintains a degree of realism. It's about a guy who leaves his apartment trying to get laid and is ultimately punished for it. It's interesting that every female character he meets is nuts. Another very underrated Scorsese comedy from that period is King of Comedy.

jcrew247

Kingfisher
I was disappointed with the new Terminator Dark Fate movie.
The action was pretty good early, but the plot was boring.
It could be more creative than just being a feminist tough-girl movie.
They could have made her some future tech genius or something else
more new and creative to the future survival.
Aside from that, I think the movie failed because Arnold is just very old and so is Linda Hamilton. So no one and most audiences no longer
find it interesting or exciting to see geriatric Arnold fighting a stronger younger dude. I don't think any of Arnold's recent movies have been hits. They just got to bring in a new younger Terminator and replace Arnold.