The Movie Thread

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
That's weird, I was just watching some random clip of him talking about John Wayne the other night.

His best movie is obviously Paths Of Glory.

Kirk was great in most movies, and didn't use his career to peddle sjw nonsense or drama, a classy man from a classier time. This sci-fi flick 'Saturn 3' from 1980 had him in his late 60s working out and doing all his own stunts, the robot was pretty nightmarish to me as a little kid though lol. Harvey Keitel as usual is compelling, but they dubbed over him unfortunately. The score for the movie was composed by Elmer Bernstein, who also used much of it for the sweeping action and adventure scenes of the animated movie Heavy Metal a year later in 1981.

Hypno

Crow
He had a nice cameo in Wall Street as Bud Fox's father.

Carl Fox : Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. ...

Carl Fox : He's using you, kid. ...

Carl Fox : I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Hypno said:
He had a nice cameo in Wall Street as Bud Fox's father.

Carl Fox : Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. ...

Carl Fox : He's using you, kid. ...

Carl Fox : I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore.

That was Martin Sheen.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I can recommend "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" as worth a watch. Academy Award-winner Guillermo del Toro was involved with the film. Set in 1968, it actually has a number of very funny scenes at the beginning of the film before it veers into the horror genre.

Glaucon

Ostrich
Gold Member
sometimes the best things are for free

Warhammer 40k "movie", made from an audiobook. Very good masculine vibe. The artstyle is interesting, it is low budget, but I like it.

It was a true passion project for the director.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I watched "The Red Violin" last night for the second time. It is just a beautiful film: the story, the period costumes, the music, the cinematography, the cast of characters, etc. Highly recommended.

I also enjoyed "Birth of the Dragon" about the early days of Bruce Lee and what led to his creation of his own fighting style. The film was not what I expected, in a good way. Very entertaining. Recommended.

Aurini

Ostrich
Tail Gunner said:
I can recommend "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" as worth a watch. Academy Award-winner Guillermo del Toro was involved with the film. Set in 1968, it actually has a number of very funny scenes at the beginning of the film before it veers into the horror genre.

I read the story about the Scarecrow as a kid. Fantastically creepy.

Before people say 'muh gay agenda', I'll just say that it was pretty well known that Freddie was gay (in fact I'm shocked people didn't pick it up sooner), and the movie did a good job keeping that in the background and making it more about the music and the growth of the band than his subsequent AIDS diagnosis and the gay lifestyle.

Rami Malek did an absolute bang-up job playing Freddie, singing like Freddie Mercury can't be easy but he nailed it.

But where the film struggles is that it didn't give too much backstory into the rest of the band, and the pacing was off - it was basically Freddie meets Smile, joins them, struggles a little and then all of a sudden this doesnt feel like me manga they're writing the track the film is named for, then Freddie spirals out of control before the film ends with the performance at Live Aid john (regardless of what you think about Live Aid - it's the reason we have brainless celebrities spouting SJW buzzwords and stances today).

Also playing is that while I like Queen, I don't love Queen - good band, but not nearly as good as say Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, about equal to the Eagles, but definitely better than Aerosmith.

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
Tail Gunner said:
I watched "The Red Violin" last night for the second time. It is just a beautiful film: the story, the period costumes, the music, the cinematography, the cast of characters, etc. Highly recommended.

[img=300x500]https://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/v22vodart/21597/p21597_v_v8_aa.jpg[/img]
I second the recommendation RED VIOLIN (1998) Its a sweeping epic (in the classical definition) that spans several centuries and continents as it follows the violin from Italy to Poland to England to China to Canada. Its definitely a slow burn but pays off well. There really is a little something here for everyone: music and culture, politics and passion, crime and intrigue, history and even the backstage intrigue of the auction business. More art film than popcorn movie but fantastic cinema and definitely worth a watch

Salinger

Woodpecker
Speaking of sweeping epics...The English Patient has recently become one of my favorite films. I never saw it originally when it was in the theaters and never caught it on cable until this winter. While it is a long film (which probably turned some people off), it is also an epic masterpiece.

What amazed me the most is that the movie involves at least 5 different genres. It's a war film, an adventure, a drama, a romance, and a mystery all rolled into one. Amazing direction, writing, and performances too.

Athanasius

Pelican
renotime said:
That's weird, I was just watching some random clip of him talking about John Wayne the other night.

His best movie is obviously Paths Of Glory.

My favorite film with Douglas in it is "Out of the Past." It was really Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer's film, but really well made. "You're like a leaf that wind blows from one gutter to another."

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I just watched one of the worst films that I have ever seen: "The Dead Don't Die." Plenty of star power in this zombie film, but the film dragged on and went absolutely nowhere -- very very slowly. It was like a Hollywood insider-joke film with the audience paying the price. This gentlemen said it well in his review:

In my 50 years of life, i have never walked out of a movie...until now. I lasted just over 30 minutes. It's not scary. It's not funny. Not even dumb funny. The writing and dialogue are so bad, and for such big name actors their performances were wooden, and they seemed as bored to be on screen as i was in the theatre. What was the direction? I have no idea what the director/writer/producer/whomever green-lit this movie was thinking.

You have been warned. Stay away from this stinker.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Tail Gunner said:
I just watched one of the worst films that I have ever seen: "The Dead Don't Die." Plenty of star power in this zombie film, but the film dragged on and went absolutely nowhere -- very very slowly. It was like a Hollywood insider-joke film with the audience paying the price. This gentlemen said it well in his review:

In my 50 years of life, i have never walked out of a movie...until now. I lasted just over 30 minutes. It's not scary. It's not funny. Not even dumb funny. The writing and dialogue are so bad, and for such big name actors their performances were wooden, and they seemed as bored to be on screen as i was in the theatre. What was the direction? I have no idea what the director/writer/producer/whomever green-lit this movie was thinking.

You have been warned. Stay away from this stinker.

Cr33pin said:
Made the mistake of watching this last night (steaming the torrent for free)

I figured Bill Murray in a Zombie flick... it can't be all bad. However even I am wrong on occasion. I was literally fighting to stay awake towards the end. It had some real left wing shit going for it like Steve Buscemi's character being a redneck asshole who wares a "Keep America White Again" hat. An the reason the zombies came back form the dead was because of fracking...... I could have even dealt with that stuff since I didn't pay anything to see the movie, but the movie itself was just boring trash. I see lots of folks that agree in the comments on the trailer

Selena Gomez's character was looking cute and thicc.... really thats the only highlight about this movie.

Also the RZA's character was a delivery guy for Wu-Ps
[img=600x600]https://i.redd.it/f0g9oclpgdl31.png[/img]