The Movie Thread

Hypno

Crow
He had a nice cameo in Wall Street as Bud Fox's father.

Carl Fox : Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. ...

Carl Fox : He's using you, kid. ...

Carl Fox : I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Hypno said:
He had a nice cameo in Wall Street as Bud Fox's father.

Carl Fox : Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. ...

Carl Fox : He's using you, kid. ...

Carl Fox : I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore.

That was Martin Sheen.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I can recommend "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" as worth a watch. Academy Award-winner Guillermo del Toro was involved with the film. Set in 1968, it actually has a number of very funny scenes at the beginning of the film before it veers into the horror genre.

Glaucon

Ostrich
Gold Member
sometimes the best things are for free

Warhammer 40k "movie", made from an audiobook. Very good masculine vibe. The artstyle is interesting, it is low budget, but I like it.

It was a true passion project for the director.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I watched "The Red Violin" last night for the second time. It is just a beautiful film: the story, the period costumes, the music, the cinematography, the cast of characters, etc. Highly recommended.

I also enjoyed "Birth of the Dragon" about the early days of Bruce Lee and what led to his creation of his own fighting style. The film was not what I expected, in a good way. Very entertaining. Recommended.

Aurini

Ostrich
Tail Gunner said:
I can recommend "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" as worth a watch. Academy Award-winner Guillermo del Toro was involved with the film. Set in 1968, it actually has a number of very funny scenes at the beginning of the film before it veers into the horror genre.

I read the story about the Scarecrow as a kid. Fantastically creepy.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
Tail Gunner said:
I watched "The Red Violin" last night for the second time. It is just a beautiful film: the story, the period costumes, the music, the cinematography, the cast of characters, etc. Highly recommended.

[img=300x500]https://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/v22vodart/21597/p21597_v_v8_aa.jpg[/img]
I second the recommendation RED VIOLIN (1998) Its a sweeping epic (in the classical definition) that spans several centuries and continents as it follows the violin from Italy to Poland to England to China to Canada. Its definitely a slow burn but pays off well. There really is a little something here for everyone: music and culture, politics and passion, crime and intrigue, history and even the backstage intrigue of the auction business. More art film than popcorn movie but fantastic cinema and definitely worth a watch

Salinger

Kingfisher
Speaking of sweeping epics...The English Patient has recently become one of my favorite films. I never saw it originally when it was in the theaters and never caught it on cable until this winter. While it is a long film (which probably turned some people off), it is also an epic masterpiece.

What amazed me the most is that the movie involves at least 5 different genres. It's a war film, an adventure, a drama, a romance, and a mystery all rolled into one. Amazing direction, writing, and performances too.

Athanasius

Pelican
renotime said:
That's weird, I was just watching some random clip of him talking about John Wayne the other night.

His best movie is obviously Paths Of Glory.

My favorite film with Douglas in it is "Out of the Past." It was really Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer's film, but really well made. "You're like a leaf that wind blows from one gutter to another."

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I just watched one of the worst films that I have ever seen: "The Dead Don't Die." Plenty of star power in this zombie film, but the film dragged on and went absolutely nowhere -- very very slowly. It was like a Hollywood insider-joke film with the audience paying the price. This gentlemen said it well in his review:

In my 50 years of life, i have never walked out of a movie...until now. I lasted just over 30 minutes. It's not scary. It's not funny. Not even dumb funny. The writing and dialogue are so bad, and for such big name actors their performances were wooden, and they seemed as bored to be on screen as i was in the theatre. What was the direction? I have no idea what the director/writer/producer/whomever green-lit this movie was thinking.

You have been warned. Stay away from this stinker.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Tail Gunner said:
I just watched one of the worst films that I have ever seen: "The Dead Don't Die." Plenty of star power in this zombie film, but the film dragged on and went absolutely nowhere -- very very slowly. It was like a Hollywood insider-joke film with the audience paying the price. This gentlemen said it well in his review:

In my 50 years of life, i have never walked out of a movie...until now. I lasted just over 30 minutes. It's not scary. It's not funny. Not even dumb funny. The writing and dialogue are so bad, and for such big name actors their performances were wooden, and they seemed as bored to be on screen as i was in the theatre. What was the direction? I have no idea what the director/writer/producer/whomever green-lit this movie was thinking.

You have been warned. Stay away from this stinker.

Cr33pin said:
Made the mistake of watching this last night (steaming the torrent for free)

I figured Bill Murray in a Zombie flick... it can't be all bad. However even I am wrong on occasion. I was literally fighting to stay awake towards the end. It had some real left wing shit going for it like Steve Buscemi's character being a redneck asshole who wares a "Keep America White Again" hat. An the reason the zombies came back form the dead was because of fracking...... I could have even dealt with that stuff since I didn't pay anything to see the movie, but the movie itself was just boring trash. I see lots of folks that agree in the comments on the trailer
850_03_dead_dont_die_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

Selena Gomez's character was looking cute and thicc.... really thats the only highlight about this movie.
4ECD2FA900000578-6023973-image-a-24_1533312060059.jpg

Also the RZA's character was a delivery guy for Wu-Ps
[img=600x600]https://i.redd.it/f0g9oclpgdl31.png[/img]

giphy.gif

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Look what I got by ingnoring Uncle Cr33pin! When I wrote that review last night, I was not even factoring all of the vapid liberal pabulum into the equation. Even without all that junk, the film was a stunning disaster.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I watched "The Valley of Violence" last night. It is a nice little film with a great screenplay, direction, musical score, and performances (especially by Ethan Hawke and John Travolta). I love Westerns, so I might have a bias, but I really enjoyed it.

The opening credits are audacious and brash, with enormous blood-red lettering and surreal graphics, combined with an original music score (just like the Westerns of yore). This is the initial clue that the film isn't meant to be taken too seriously, but it the film does take itself just seriously enough that it's not a snarky parody. Almost all of the characters are a bit sketchy and dangerous.

"What does a priest need so many bullets for?"

"Sinners."

stream26

Chicken
Just saw ‘Knives Out’ Really entertaining, lots of character, clever murder mystery. Not sure how much lasting impact it leaves though, but it’s a fun watch. 8.5/10
Saw ‘Ma’ last week too. I’m mixed about this one. Octavia Spencer is great in it. It’s just a shame her performance is stuck in a mediocre B-list thriller with a basic revenge plot at its core. It’s not bad, but it’s very plot-driven. The kids don’t act rationally and keep making stupid choices for the sake of the plot moving forward (like going back to the crazy woman’s house for a party even though she pulled a gun on them last time). It was watchable, but can’t really recommend it unless you’re a huge Octavia Spencer fan. 6.5/10

Tactician

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Parasite is superb. The shots are extremely deliberate and the cast fits really well. The tone starts out pretty lighthearted, but slowly becomes very tense and exciting and then .. something special.

The idea is that the son in a poor and unemployed family of 4 lucks himself into a position as a tutor to a wealthy family. The poor family then schemes to get the other 3 family members hired as well, but they need to cross some lines to do so.

The plot sounds simple, but plot summaries never do a movie justice. This is one of the best movies of 2019.

A big theme in the movie is class divide and upward mobility. The job market is brutal in Korea and just a few years ago the minimum wage was like $5. Competition bleeds into a lot of areas of people's lives. People look down on each other based on physical attractiveness, intelligence, and of course money/status; credit card debt is a big problem there because of the effort put into keeping up appearances. The movie touches on these themes in a layered way without being preachy. If anything, it's pretty neutral and you can decide for yourself which layers stand out to you.

Above all, Parasite is entertaining as hell and I really can't recommend it enough. One of the few movies I'll very happily watch twice+.

Even though it's a Korean movie that came out earlier last year, you can currently catch it in theatres. Here's a trailer which barely shows anything: