The Movie Thread

All of this celebrity gossip and shit....bunch of fucking faggots we've got here.

Save for the first one-maybe, every single subsequent mission impossible film is utterly forgettable. . Not even worth a one time viewing with hokey dorky hammy humor, boring action set pieces, a paint by the brush formula. This franchise is made for retards, in the same veil as transformers. . Only one reason to get involved with this franchise and that is if you're Tom Cruise, having blast with the action sets and making millions in the process.

Salinger

Woodpecker
I miss Tom Cruise the actor.

He made so many great movies in the 80s when he just concentrated on his craft and choosing good projects to be a part of. Even his early work like All The Right Moves is more interesting than his cookie cutter action flicks he makes these days.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Are (live action) movies even being made right now? Are any being released, for that matter? I'd have to think that stuff made before Covid has all been released by now. What happens when they actually run out of stuff?

With CGI movies and video games, you can basically produce those indefinitely since you don't need people to show up on a set, but this would seem to be a massive problem for Hollywood. As someone who loathes the entertainment industry I wouldn't mind seeing it all collapse.

Rotten

Robin
Guns Akimbo (2020), starring harry potter, is a worthy successor to CRANK. If you like that sort of madcap, excessive, ultraviolence set to a 1980's soundtrack then this one is worth a watch. Right now, its free to stream for Amazon Prime members.

Salinger

Woodpecker
Daniel Craig is retiring as Bond. Guess who the new 007 is? I have been watching Bond since I was a kid so this is sad.

Its about time I I stopped watching Hollywood junk anyway.

View attachment 23796

They obviously don't care anymore about making money because this is going to sink the franchise. It's bad enough that they have a woman taking over as Bond...but a black woman? This won't even fulfil a male sex fantasy like the female super heroes do where sexy white women dress up in sexy costumes. This is an ugly black woman replacing one of the most likeable figures in movie history.

People will tune in for the sake of curiosity...but I bet most wait until it comes out on cable.

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
Theron's father was a legit abusive arsehole, to the point Theron mother murdered her father in self defence with a handgun as he shot at them through their bedroom door with a shotgun.

Aside from her beauty, she does have this distant hardened other place look.
I actually have a good deal of pity for her.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ielding-dad-self-defense.html#reader-comments

How do we know that is true?

Its in the corporate media, so it must be questioned. Also, Theron is the one being interviewed here, she has many reasons (feminist, personal pity, her Q rating, a role she is playing in a film, an image she is projecting, etc.) to make the whole scenario seem like bad evil patriarch and innocent mother in self defense. And she herself is likely to not know the full story, as she wasn't part of the marriage, only a child of it.

You can be sure that, whatever the court said happened, its likely not the whole truth.

And let me tell you this: people who have such trauma in their lives avoid talking about it at all, let alone in international interviews with newspapers.

People actually involved in real trauma, like being raped or being beaten up or tortured or family murders don't like visiting such horror, they'd prefer to move on. I'm very wary/disbelieving of people who crow or write big stories about "the time I was raped" or the "time I was gang beaten" or "the time I was tortured" or "the time my mother killed my father." Something is up here, because if the events went down here as Theron says, then she very likely wouldn't be speaking about it publicly.

E.g. most actual, front-line soldiers from WWII or Vietnam don't talk about the horrors of war in interviews unless severely pressed, and minimize it, its usually yahoos and guys with only minimal experience who ramble on about the bad parts. Watching men get shot to death or coming across tortured or starving refugees or prisoners or being tortured or starved yourself is so awful you don't want to bring it up unless you also want to go on a seven-day bender and crash your car over a cliff.

This was Theron's father dying at the hands of her mother. This would be, for anyone, an extremely traumatizing event, no matter how bad daddy or mommy was. For her to give an international interview about it so matter-of-factly is very, very strange psychologically, and makes her tale extremely dubious, especially given her career.

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
I miss Tom Cruise the actor.

He made so many great movies in the 80s when he just concentrated on his craft and choosing good projects to be a part of. Even his early work like All The Right Moves is more interesting than his cookie cutter action flicks he makes these days.

Actually, I think Cruise has been pretty consistent in making mostly crowd-pleasing films throughout his career, and doing them very well. He's tried on a few occasions for Oscar bait (for example, Magnolia or Rain Main), but he's mostly focused on being a Star, not an actor, and so makes "Star" movies. He's realized that, at his age, coming off the momentum for even a moment could kill his career, given how old he is.

Many older actors such as John Wayne or Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson made similar choices in middle age to stay in action movies, and it paid off nicely for them. Wayne's western legend grew such that he actually won an Oscar for his final performance, and many of his middle-aged westerns are considered among the greatest films of all time. Eastwood's Dirty Harry action star also became iconic, and he parlayed it into a directing-acting double career that has lasted to this day. And Charles Bronson's Death Wish is not only an iconic film, it made him huge internationally and was prescient both of the Bernie Getz incident in NYC and the future of pacifist thought today in major cities as they descend into BLM-Antifa crime waves.

Cruise's Mission Impossibles are very forgettable, I agree, but very entertaining nonetheless. And Minority Report was a scifi masterpiece, and will likely grow in reputation as time goes on. Collateral was excellent as well. I think Cruise will likely hit it big Oscar-wise in a scifi genre film, or perhaps he will take a page out of the Wayne/Eastwood/Bronson playbook, and take a role as a bitter, no-nonsense gritty crime fighter without any superpowers or super-spy skills beyond being a hard ass, and it will either earn him the Oscar or end up being his defining role.

Salinger

Woodpecker
Actually, I think Cruise has been pretty consistent in making mostly crowd-pleasing films throughout his career, and doing them very well. He's tried on a few occasions for Oscar bait (for example, Magnolia or Rain Main), but he's mostly focused on being a Star, not an actor, and so makes "Star" movies. He's realized that, at his age, coming off the momentum for even a moment could kill his career, given how old he is.

Many older actors such as John Wayne or Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson made similar choices in middle age to stay in action movies, and it paid off nicely for them. Wayne's western legend grew such that he actually won an Oscar for his final performance, and many of his middle-aged westerns are considered among the greatest films of all time. Eastwood's Dirty Harry action star also became iconic, and he parlayed it into a directing-acting double career that has lasted to this day. And Charles Bronson's Death Wish is not only an iconic film, it made him huge internationally and was prescient both of the Bernie Getz incident in NYC and the future of pacifist thought today in major cities as they descend into BLM-Antifa crime waves.

Cruise's Mission Impossibles are very forgettable, I agree, but very entertaining nonetheless. And Minority Report was a scifi masterpiece, and will likely grow in reputation as time goes on. Collateral was excellent as well. I think Cruise will likely hit it big Oscar-wise in a scifi genre film, or perhaps he will take a page out of the Wayne/Eastwood/Bronson playbook, and take a role as a bitter, no-nonsense gritty crime fighter without any superpowers or super-spy skills beyond being a hard ass, and it will either earn him the Oscar or end up being his defining role.

I don't buy the premise that Cruise can't take his foot off the accelerator or he'll lose his place as a "star." Even Harrison Ford made the occasional film where he ventured into other genres (What Lies Beneath, Regarding Henry).

IMO, I just think he's an adrenaline junkie who loves making those types of movies. Too bad, as I'd love to see him in another film like Magnolia where he can show off his acting chops.

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
I don't buy the premise that Cruise can't take his foot off the accelerator or he'll lose his place as a "star." Even Harrison Ford made the occasional film where he ventured into other genres (What Lies Beneath, Regarding Henry).

IMO, I just think he's an adrenaline junkie who loves making those types of movies. Too bad, as I'd love to see him in another film like Magnolia where he can show off his acting chops.

Especially at his age (58), Cruise absolutely cannot if he wishes to remain viable as an unironic "action star". If Cruise even took a brief pause (such as a year) to get a few artistic movies under his belt---that's a lifetime to a young teen action watcher. He'll be the old man they've never heard of.

Remember, action moves sell big to teenage 14-19. They are very young, so if they haven't heard of a guy and he isn't similar to them (young teen dude) or what they want to be (mid-20's, buff, with women falling all over them), they will likely not be into him unless there's a franchise attached (e.g. Indiana Jones, superhero film, etc.) or a miracle occurs.

Cruise tried to join the aborted Universal Monster Movie franchise as The Mummy, but that fizzled out. All he has franchise-wise is Mission Impossible, which as we agree are fun but forgettable. Cruise's best bet seems to be to hop into the DC movie universe in an action role so as to get a memorable franchise character under his belt that could make comebacks in later films (Rick Flag? Sinestro? Captain Cold? Scarecrow? A new Joker?) or at least become iconic. Jack Nicholson's role as Joker in Tim Burton's Batman introduced him to younger audiences of the time, which extended his career, and Liam Neeson's roles in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy reinvigorated his career and led him into making the surprise hit Taken films.

denj

Pigeon
Re-watched Smokin' Aces last night - what a movie, though it could have been developed a bit better, I really appreciated it much more this time around than when I watched it ~14 years ago. The ending even though I understood it first watch had a lot more power on rewatching it.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member

Watched this last night. Man they just dont make them like they used to... literally. No CGI really, a crew made models of the ship and the generator core in the movie is something the engineers made. The story unfolds at a good pace keeping you guessing and in suspense. The crew is well acted and this movie does a good job of giving you just enough insight into their character development in a short time.

I really question why movies seem to be getting worse even though all the technology and movie making methods have greatly advanced.

Another fun note, I watched this movie on my Xbox so I used my gaming headset for sound while watching..... that really added a new element to a movie such as this one.

Also there is some gore and demonic type stuff in the movie, if thats something that is not your thing you should avoid this classic

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
Daniel Craig is retiring as Bond. Guess who the new 007 is? I have been watching Bond since I was a kid so this is sad.

Its about time I I stopped watching Hollywood junk anyway.

View attachment 23796

I thought Idris Elba would make a good 007 for a run... just not in drag

Last edited:

Mr Gibbs

Robin
Rewatching War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise in it. For a popcorn flick it’s pretty good, a father is trying to save his family from an alien invasion. The monsters are cool, effects decent and it can get creepy.

But my hyper awareness on subversion couldn’t help but notice that the underlying theme of the story is that humans are just ants, evolution is the truth, everything is a coincidence and nothing happens for a reason. We’re at the mercy and whim of the universe and are nothing more than space dust. No doubt influenced by the director (((Steven Spielberg)))

(Spoilers for Signs) Compare that to another alien invasion movie Signs. Same underlying premise, a father who’s doing his best to save his family from an alien invasion.

However, the real story is a man who lost his faith in God and found Him again and believed at the end. No doubt influenced by m’fckn based Mel Gibson. That everything happens for a reason and nothing is a coincidence. The alien invasion was the catalyst and entertainment sure but rediscovering faith was the real story. His wife dying is a memory that haunts him every day and was the cause for him to turn from Christ, who’s last words were “swing away”. Well when his son is about to die at the hands of a unexpected circumstance (an alien) He has kept that painful memory of his wife in Mel Gibson’s head and he hears her last words, “swing away” reminding Jouquin Phoenix that there’s a bat next to him and to beat the living crap out of the alien.

What a great meta story to an alien invasion. Highly recommend.

On a side note: as I’m watching WotW, there’s a very odd shot/angle near the beginning/middle of the movie of the little innocent white girl looking up to the camera in a submissive, scared and very creepy way. She’s not the one being creepy it’s how she’s being portrayed. Given that (((Spielberg))) May have raped and sodomized Judith Barsi the girl who played ducki in Land Before Time, as well as other goings on in Hollywood it’s quite disgusting when you think about it. Also, the film makes it clear that the first thing people do when things go bad is to rob and kill each other. Which given the current climate I would say that’s a fair critique. The problem? It’s only white people killing, stealing and being selfish. ((())) indeed. Theres also a line “europe has it the worst”. Coincidence or Jewish fantasy? I’ll let you decide

Last edited: