The Movie Thread

Hi, it's been some time since I posted, I've had some things go on in life that keep me from posting. I watched Terminator: Dark Fate recently and wasn't impressed by it at all. Not because of the forced diversity or wokeness, it offered nothing new for the franchise. It was Terminator 3 redone, John gets swapped with Sarah and they took bits and pieces from the films Dark Fate disregards as canon (T3 Rise of the Machines, Salvation and Genysis) and had James Cameron's involvement (very little from what I heard)

Linda Hamilton has aged pretty badly and Arnold's "Carl" is a joke, it made Terminator 3 look like Shakespeare. Terminator is a product of it's time and had it's day. James Cameron is more concerned with his "Dance with Wolves in Space".

I realized the sequels after Terminator 2 weren't great because there was no story left to after Terminator 2. James Cameron and Linda Hamilton have said that before.

Hell, this was the original ending to Terminator 2 before it got changed:

The only logical sequel to T2 after was a prequel showing the future war, too bad they messed that up with Salvation.

I recommend checking out the game Terminator Resistance, it came out about two years ago and was developed by a small eastern european studio which means its pozz free. You play as a survivor in the future and the aesthetic looks a lot like the synthwave future from the first two films. It's a pretty solid shooter with some survival elements mixed in.

Ha ha, Dork Vader cracked me up, especially when he took his helmet off. Getting his butt whooped by a girl while telling her to join him and he'll complete her training, what a laugh.

All movies are the same now, it is so bad that I can predict what is going to happen and what is going to be said. My wife was in wonder about it and had thought that I had seen these movies before, well, I have in a manner of speaking. She is now predicting. It is like all those so called writers who crank out "bestsellers." They use a canned pattern and just change the names and other minor things around, it is still the same story as the earlier works.

Renzy

Pelican
Watched this on a whim tonight. Easily the best movie I watched in 2020. If you want to watch it just go in blind... no trailers or reviews just Uncle Cr33pin's word.
c502e55dd4b6a1af83b1eabce1299416.jpg

Rented it this weekend. Pretty cool flick, didn't end up going the way I thought it would which actually made it more interesting...good soundtrack too. Definitely worth a watch.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
Rented it this weekend. Pretty cool flick, didn't end up going the way I thought it would which actually made it more interesting...good soundtrack too. Definitely worth a watch.
Oddly enough, this was on the TV last night, and I watched it too.

Kind of liked it, it was an enjoyable watch, better than most stuff these days.

MRAll134

Kingfisher
I’m about 2/3 through the movie adaptation of Fahrenheit 451. It’s about how all white men are evil and all women and minorities are heroes. There’s also some stuff about burning books hidden in all the over-the-top wokeness and racial messaging.
Is this the HBO one? I have a copy of this on DVD and it is worth a watch. The SJW crap is not too bad. And, this was a good exposure to the story - of how history can be re-written or erased.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Watched this on a whim tonight. Easily the best movie I watched in 2020. If you want to watch it just go in blind... no trailers or reviews just Uncle Cr33pin's word.
c502e55dd4b6a1af83b1eabce1299416.jpg

Super fun flick. I saw it when it came out in 2014. Always thought that dude would end up a star, but apparently it never happened for him. I doubt a movie like this would get made today.

That dude was also in a movie called A Walk Among The Tombstones with Liam Neeson. Solid noir detective movie.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member

Yeah I watched it too. EDIT - This was 'The Guest', which Creepin recommended. I thought it was going down an entirely different path too, more fantasy elements.

I didnt realize that was Mathew from that British Show. Hes a good actor.

Would give a very solid recommendation. Just go in blind.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Actually I have a lull in responsibilities and wanted to watch a few movies. Looked around on the internet. Man there is nothing I want to see from the last few years.

I watched Ford vs Ferrari and that was alright if a bit paint by numbers. Bale and Damon are both good actors and the story was fun once in a while.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was another film I watched. Really funny take on film noir detective stuff. Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr.

I tried to find Parasite but the place I usually get my stuff didnt have anything with English subtitles.

War of The Worlds with Tom Cruise was just boring, ruined a classic.

I liked Hunger Games. Are you saying the bad guys should have been black? Haha! Who cares what color anyone was?! The "black" district rebelled at the end, did that conform to the stereotype you like? I read Jennifer Lawrence was paid $500,000 for the movie, the film company had like no money and had to wait and see how it did before planning another one. She's getting $10 million for the sequel!
I enjoyed War of the Worlds, as I am a fan of the novel. I'll take any iteration on this classic. Yeah Cruise is an idiot but got a good work ethic, and I can respect that. I wanna smack him for being so dumb and self-righteous 99% of the time, but that's all of Hollywood and most of the world today.

I said it before at Chateau Heartiste (Comment of the Month) and I'll say it here (re: Jennifer Lawrence): Any woman who takes a protein shot directly to the face is to be excluded from all public discourse.

(I just realized this is a more or less a Necro Thread. Don't know why it came up, but here it is. Oh well)

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
The Best Offer with Geoffrey Rush and Donald Sutherland. Spectacular film, highly recommended. (streaming on Netflix)

The plot is one giant mindfuck, especially the ending. You will not be disappointed.

Highly recommend this movie. Saw it last night. Very clever, a little dark, beautiful shots. Deals with the art world, so lots of high quality paintings in the movie.

Acting is especially good.

In my opinion, Hitchcock 's two greatest films are "Stranger on a Train" and "Shadow of a Doubt" followed by "Suspicion" and and "Dial M for Murder".

Still have not seen about ten of his films-he made over fifty, I believe.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
In my opinion, Hitchcock 's two greatest films are "Stranger on a Train" and "Shadow of a Doubt" followed by "Suspicion" and and "Dial M for Murder".

Still have not seen about ten of his films-he made over fifty, I believe.

I've seen Vertigo, Rear Window, and North by Northwest.

They say that Vertigo is his best, but I prefer Rear Window and North by Northwest over Vertigo.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Just saw Shot Caller and found it to be excellent, with a zero euphemism/denial view of Prison life and a strong emotional resonance for modern men.

In a way, it reminded me of Deliverance. You take an upper class normal guy, put him in a primal and barbaric situation, and see what he does.

In both movies, the dilemma was, what does a civilized man do in an uncivilized situation?

Does he maintain his own standards and values and take whatever consequences come? Or does he do whatever it takes to survive?

That is the main question of this movie. A man put in a real dilemma.

Which bad choice do you pick?

Shot Caller was a very good prison/criminal life character study.

Of course he is a complete outlier and most guys in prison are there because they are bad people. He made a tragic mistake that went down a very dark hole.

Good acting by everyone, tells an excellent and engaging story. Plus the guy is masculine to the extreme.

Highly recommended. I think I saw it on Netflix a year or so ago, before I canceled. Starve the beast.