The Movie Thread

DeWoken

Robin
@Maddox , I mean yeah, it has the potential to get annoying fast. I'm just saying that in ye old'n days people knew how to behave in public, and had a sense of decorum. Not using cell phones would be a good start because they emit light, beeps and EMF radiation - not to mention bringing other people's presence into the venue (witchcraft :sneaky:).

On the subject of going out in public here's the best scene in My Fair Lady. (Missing the context it probably doesn't stand on its own very well. Also the aspect ratio is squished and resolution muddy.). #ThinWaifus #BigHats #SmallTalk

Nobody is a good movie, I was not expecting it to be so good. Funny its ex special forces takes on Russian mafia same as Equalizer and John Wick.

I wonder if there were any Better Call Saul or other easter eggs in it. I was almost surprised when he ate at the club he didn't quip "ever hear about the ring trick?".

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
If servers are walking up and down the aisles, they're probably also blocking site lines to the screen. And people are already annoyed at those who use cell phones during movies. It would seem these theaters with patrons talking back and forth with the servers would present more of these annoyances.
Not really. Most orders are placed before the movie and food and drinks are delivered very early on. The theaters each only have about 60 seats or so any way

Additionally since its stadium seating people walking by never block line of sight.

The whole thing is no more distracting than a few people getting up to go to the rest room.

I dig it.

stugatz

Pelican

I wouldn't call this a great movie, but it was good clean masculine entertainment with a really sharp script (even if the plot was 1000 shades of outlandish and dumb). Enjoyed every second of it when I watched it last night. I would have loved to have been in my mid-teens around 1990.

Tony Scott always got on my nerves as a director, though - everything just has to be so loud and noisy.

DeWoken

Robin
I would have loved to have been in my mid-teens around 1990.

Same here. I didn't watch it then either, my first time was a few years ago :like: Generally speaking Bruce Willis is pretty solid entertainment, isn't he?

Hmmm...Tony Scott, it appears, also did Days of Thunder and Top Gun. Both of those I re-watched for nostalgia in the past few years. I was curious about Talladega Nights - after the kid actor killed himself - so that got a re-watch and then DoT was needed as a palate cleanser.

Reading Tony Scott's wiki it says he committed suicide a bit mysteriously 8 years ago. (Though maybe he had cancer). And he's the brother of the more famous director, Ridley!

Reading about the lives of star actors and directors you remember how turbulent their lives are. You have to wonder if it's the Jewishness in the entertainment industry that grinds them up, or if entertainment is simply degenerate, in every timeline. Rex Harrison I think had 6 marriages. One wife became an abject alcoholic; one girlfriend killed herself, and another died young of cancer. But he won Tonys, an Oscar and a Knighthood.

Edit, for those interested: Rex Harrison - Documentary

Last edited:

stugatz

Pelican
Same here. I didn't watch it then either, my first time was a few years ago :like: Generally speaking Bruce Willis is pretty solid entertainment, isn't he?
I am one of the few people who actually liked Hudson Hawk, so yeah I think I count as a fan of Bruce Willis. He’s a lot funnier than people realize (wasn’t he known as a comedic actor before Die Hard? he had a lot of great lines in that one too, especially on his panicked 911 call).

I think Scott’s best movie by far was Crimson Tide. True Romance was interesting for people who want to see a Tarantino script filmed by another director. Top Gun I still like for nostalgia purposes.

I was actually legitimately bummed when I heard about his suicide. Maybe because it came across as so sudden and he hasn’t exactly been a failed director.

Just finished The Virgin Suicides. Pretty mediocre movie but there's a lot to think about. These five teenage sisters all kill themselves after getting depressed that their protective parents lock them down in the house. Gotta let girls have fun, you just find ways to ensure that it's in a safe environment. Also their parents were in way over their head, it takes a village to raise a child - certainly five girls - and they were trying to do it on their own. But then you open yourself up to potential predators. Depressing movie because with sex and romance there's such a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

DeWoken

Robin
@Christopher J, I watched that when it came out, as I was very appreciative of the French band, Air, at the time. What made you throw that on?

6-degrees of Air: Kirsten Dunst stars in The Virgin Suicides, Air plays in the soundtrack, and Dunst also stars in Marie Antoinette, which is directed by Sophia Coppola, who used Air's, Alone in Kyoto in Lost in Translation. "See, air is what connects us all", said the heathen ;)

^ Interesting, @Marmion. A summary would be nice - and I don't think torrent links are allowed unless they are to material that is obviously not under kopyrite.

@stugatz ,
Crimson Tide and True Romance are definitely to see for any true film buff. Hudson Hawk... I don't believe I ever saw.

Slim Whitman

Sparrow
Just finished The Virgin Suicides. Pretty mediocre movie but there's a lot to think about. These five teenage sisters all kill themselves after getting depressed that their protective parents lock them down in the house. Gotta let girls have fun, you just find ways to ensure that it's in a safe environment. Also their parents were in way over their head, it takes a village to raise a child - certainly five girls - and they were trying to do it on their own. But then you open yourself up to potential predators. Depressing movie because with sex and romance there's such a damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Sounds incredibly subversive. "Let the young girls go slut around in the city or they'll become so depressed that they'll kill themselves".

stugatz

Pelican
@stugatz ,
Crimson Tide and True Romance are definitely to see for any true film buff. Hudson Hawk... I don't believe I ever saw.
It's a comedic movie about a cat burglar, and flopped hard when it was mismarketed as a straight action flick.

It played a lot on HBO in the early 2000s and I've seen it too many times. I really don't know how to describe it, it's pretty consistently looked at negatively. The dialogue is witty and the humor is pretty intelligent, but something about the corny, silly tone just feels off when it's combined with explosions and hard-R action.

There's a running joke, for example, where Hudson Hawk is trying to get a cappuccino throughout the film, and each time he sips he either gets interrupted by getting hurt, or something startles him and he drops the coffee. Another - while him and Danny Aiello pull off burglaries, they both sing show tunes in unison to see if they can pull off the heist before the end of the song.

I can definitely say that Bruce Willis was a good fit for the role.

Last edited:
@Christopher J, I watched that when it came out, as I was very appreciative of the French band, Air, at the time. What made you throw that on?

6-degrees of Air: Kirsten Dunst stars in The Virgin Suicides, Air plays in the soundtrack, and Dunst also stars in Marie Antoinette, which is directed by Sophia Coppola, who used Air's, Alone in Kyoto in Lost in Translation

Just found it scrolling on Prime. I remember it coming out when I was in high school and hearing a lot about it but never saw it. Also I really enjoyed the two Sofia Coppola movies I've seen. Lost in Translation is an all time favorite and Bling Ring is really entertaining.

Sounds incredibly subversive. "Let the young girls go slut around in the city or they'll become so depressed that they'll kill themselves".
Lol true, except I failed to mention that one of the girls, played by KirstenDunst, actually did slut around. Although she mostly did it while on lockdown on the roof of her house, so that's mixed messaging.

DeWoken

Robin
Just found it scrolling on Prime. I remember it coming out when I was in high school and hearing a lot about it but never saw it. Also I really enjoyed the two Sofia Coppola movies I've seen. Lost in Translation is an all time favorite and Bling Ring is really entertaining.

Bling Ring had its moments. Emma Watson is easy on the eyes, but mostly I forget the movie, like Marie Antoinette. The latter is probably worth a re-watch at some point because of the lavish costumes and locations.

Lol true, except I failed to mention that one of the girls, played by KirstenDunst, actually did slut around. Although she mostly did it while on lockdown on the roof of her house, so that's mixed messaging.

Yeah, for those of us without kids yet we forget how there is a balance to be had. If you give them no freedom sometimes they will revolt. But no, slutting around is no good.

Silly me, I overlooked the simplest explanation of Dunst and Air
being in two movies: they're both Coppola deals :rolleyes:

Lost in Translation is well loved, by people from all walks of life I reckon. It's kind of a dreamy meditation on marital fidelity, no? There is definitely some lust being stirred up but what are they to do? They're both virtual prisoners of their respective situations in that Tokyo hotel.

So her other films that we haven't mentioned are:

and

Were these okay, I wonder?

It's a comedic movie about a cat burglar, and flopped hard when it was mismarketed as a straight action flick.
That will do it. Sounds fun though, thanks! :)

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Without Remorse.

I have major remorse about watching this movie the whole way through. To think that Stefano Sollima directed this is a bummer. He's made great (Suburra and ZEROZEROZRO) to solid (Sicario 2) and now awful.

The dialogue is awful and cheesy, half the characters are introduced just to get killed off. At one point they showed a character doing some mundane task and I thought "He's about to die," and of course it happened.

Also plays into woke nonsense. A commanding officer is a black female Navy Seal. She goes on operations. With a gun. It's downright silly without a single wink.

Watch some of the old 90s action flicks that are at least aware of how ridiculous they are. Under Siege, Air Force One, or Executive Decision. Perfect middle of the road fare that make no bones about what they are.

Fenaroli

Robin
I have a confession to make: I've started watching musicals
:D:hmm:
Well, at least I watched a couple classics from my childhood (my parents' childhood really). Since Christopher Plummer died I thought I'd re-watch The Sound of Music. It took me a few days of watching snippets, but generally I enjoyed it and found it to be a good mood adjuster for a single guy living a somewhat isolated existence (and riding the Chastity Wagon). It is a bit "saccharine" as they say, but after watching TSoM you can definitely understand why it was a worldwide smash hit. There are solid Christian elements to it as well. Plummer did a great job filling out what could have been a cardboard character - RIP. A 20-something Julie Andrews is beautiful.

Then I watched My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison. (I think they're both 1964 productions. Strangely enough Andrews played Eliza in the stage production of MFL, across from Harrison, but was passed over for the film role because she was too unknown(!). This freed her up for her role in TSoM, so it was a win.). Good tunes and very entertaining. Marnie Nixon was the ghost voice for Hepburn.

There are a few more musicals that I watched in childhood that I want to check out again - this time in widescreen, with stereo sound and no bits edited out for TV! And I'm going to have to check out a couple Hepburn romantic comedies from the fifties.

Someone at the NSA right now:
Sir, we've done it! All the stress from these hoaxes has turned the nazis gey! They're watching musicals ... and a third of the board is subscribed to the WFPBD thread!
;)
Nothing to be ashamed about. The older musicals had some of the greatest popular music ever
composed by people like Richard Rodgers, Jerome Kern.

Modern musicals are pretty gay though.

Maddox

Robin
Saw an old movie the other day on Prime called Trees Lounge. It stars Steve Buscemi as a down-and-out loser living in a small town who spends a lot of his time hanging out at the local bar with colorful characters.

If you liked Barfly with Mickey Rourke, you'll probably enjoy this one too. Buscemi is a good actor, who for me is just fun to watch on screen. He also seems to be in a lot of great films: Fargo, Barton Fink, Reservoir Dogs, etc.

DeWoken

Robin
Buscemi is a good actor, who for me is just fun to watch on screen. He also seems to be in a lot of great films: Fargo, Barton Fink, Reservoir Dogs, etc.

Buscemi definitely has a certain something. Boardwalk Empire was pretty good. I wonder if he had to deal with people in public suddenly turning to him and saying, "what's crackin', Mr. Pink?". Would it not be good motivation to star in an HBO series playing a hard-as-nails mob boss?

Trees Lounge HD Digital Trailer
^ funny.

stugatz

Pelican
Without Remorse.

I have major remorse about watching this movie the whole way through. To think that Stefano Sollima directed this is a bummer. He's made great (Suburra and ZEROZEROZRO) to solid (Sicario 2) and now awful.

The dialogue is awful and cheesy, half the characters are introduced just to get killed off. At one point they showed a character doing some mundane task and I thought "He's about to die," and of course it happened.

Also plays into woke nonsense. A commanding officer is a black female Navy Seal. She goes on operations. With a gun. It's downright silly without a single wink.

Watch some of the old 90s action flicks that are at least aware of how ridiculous they are. Under Siege, Air Force One, or Executive Decision. Perfect middle of the road fare that make no bones about what they are.
Tom Clancy was never a great writer, but his books did turn out a classic movie that's pretty timeless (Hunt For Red October). I liked his other two hit books Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger, but I haven't seen those movies in well over a decade.

Clancy is pretty played out, though, and when I saw Prime had gotten a hold of Without Remorse - with protagonist John Clark as a black dude - I cringed. I've heard that's one of his better books, so maybe I'll read it before I give the movie my time. If the movie's well thought of, I usually prefer to watch that first.

(You can make a white character into a black character if the circumstances are right - they made sonar technician "Jonesey" in Hunt for Red October into a black guy in the movie, but the character really wasn't too important or focused on. Here...it's the main character. I figured this would be woke.)

Last edited:

Tippy

Woodpecker
I went to see 'Spiral: book of saw' - the latest in the Saw franchise. First movie theater experience in a while. Was thankfully not asked to wear a mask.

I have always been a fan of this franchise. I know they are famed for the torture, but I always liked the twists and way the movies tied together. And I respected them for striving to be clever and incentive even though they often failed miserably.

'Spiral' has a few different things about it than past iterations of the franchise. Chris Rock is in it and in between his investigations he delivers monologues that sound like ideas for his latest stand up routine. I enjoyed the humour and it's just one of those weird decisions I had to admire because I've never seen it before. Imagine if you were watching some generic Nightmare on Elm Street type movie with Jerry Seinfeld doing observational bits in between the killings and it isn't so far away from what a strange mixture is at play here

There are some unintentionally hilarious close ups on his face where he looks more like me after some chipotle than in the emotional distress he's trying to convey.

Samuel L Jackson is also in this movie, and it is also a bit jarring to see such a big name in this franchise. But he goes for it and has some great Jackson moments expressing his righteous confused rage - few can do that better.

The movie theater was almost totally empty and I had to wonder, bar me, who in the world would want to spend an afternoon watching this weird depressing horror movie ?

The twist was not exactly a mind bender and the ending was lackluster, but it had enough fun moments to make it worthwhile. Certainly a lot better than Tenet!

MichaelWitcoff

Ostrich
Orthodox
Watched "Arrival" last night. I liked the movie in general but ultimately the message was pure psyop: aliens are coming to help humanity, out of the sheer kindness of their alien hearts! Predictive programming for when they initiate Project Blue Beam, but an otherwise enjoyable and well-written / filmed movie.