The Movie Thread

fireshark

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
Dune (1984) - Rewatched in preparation for new Dune remake this Oct. Special effects and battle choreography were much worse than I remembered them, but still very imaginative sets and costumes and overall aesthetics. The story itself is very interesting, and I don't feel like this movie really does it justice. It doesn't feel weighty, and the buildup of Paul's power is like a 30 minute long cheesy power montage. David Lynch disowned the movie and isn't even listed as the director.

Dune is a highly imaginative book in search of a worthy film adaptation. Hope the new movie can do it.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
I hear Jodorowsky's Dune is a pretty great documentary about his failed attempt at a Dune movie.

I watched Midnight Run and The American this week. Midnight Run still holds up. I guess Midnight Run kind of cops out at the end with a happy ending, but I'm glad they went that way.

The American is a slow burn the whole way through, with a few notes of violence here and there. It got mixed reviews, but I thought the mood and atmosphere were great. Clooney's best performance, in my opinion.

Dune (1984) - Rewatched in preparation for new Dune remake this Oct. Special effects and battle choreography were much worse than I remembered them, but still very imaginative sets and costumes and overall aesthetics. The story itself is very interesting, and I don't feel like this movie really does it justice. It doesn't feel weighty, and the buildup of Paul's power is like a 30 minute long cheesy power montage. David Lynch disowned the movie and isn't even listed as the director.

Dune is a highly imaginative book in search of a worthy film adaptation. Hope the new movie can do it.
Here is a better version of it, with many important scenes restored. The edit is what killed the movie in the end, like so many other films that were dissected by studio execs.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Jodorowsky's Dune was a very interesting look into what would have been an incredible film.
(Another amazing film would have been Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon film).

Much of Jodorowsky was in Spanish and French, and my French wasn't good enough to follow some of the dialogue but many of the greatest film ideas that were later used in Star Wars and other great films, were first planned for Jodormowsky's Dune. He was using the best editors, best special effects people, and wanted to cast Mick Jagger with music by Pink Floyd. A real shame it was never made.

One of the best films I've seen in a long time was Percy vs Goliath. It's a true story (about all I watch anymore as screenwriters become too woke and dumb) about a farmer from Saskatchewan who fights Monsanto in court when they try to financially ruin him over GMO seeds. It's not as good as similar films in past years like Erin Brockovitch but for a Current Year movie it's very well done and has basically no pos and almost no diversity (random black journalist in one scene is literally it). Christopher Walken does a great job playing the farmer.

The opening scene is the farmers in the community singing together in church with their families, which was pretty startling and there is Christian imagery throughout the film. They talk about men's bathrooms being for men, and has actual lines like "People are so generous" and "Praise the Lord" which are SO refreshing to hear. In a normal society I would give it maybe a 6, as it's not most exciting or engaging movie, but it is about a very important issue, and overall in Current Year I would give it a 9.5.

If you watch it, maybe you can tell me why the film has a PG-13 rating. I looked it up because I expected it to be rated G. I don't recall a single line of profanity, nudity, etc. Maybe I missed something and it deserves a PG but I can't fathom PG-13.

Here's a clip of the real farmer, Percy Schmeiser

As you can see, the real Schmeisers were strong Christians. I can't believe they kept this in the film.

Fuzzums_Wuzzums

Chicken
Orthodox
Hopefully no one has mentioned it before, but "Hail, Caesar!" is one of my favorite movies of the last decade:

It was made by the Coen brothers and it's fascinating to see how they view Christians, the Coens being jews and all. They said the movie is an homage to a certain type of person that sadly is no longer present in Hollywood. The main hero of the story is a devout Catholic who's strong, determined, smart, and has the most absurdly perfect family life possible. He gets tempted throughout the movie with more stable jobs and better a salary but he always refuses saying something like "my job is not honest but I'm there for a reason".

Here is a scene where a Catholic, an Orthodox, a Protestant, and a Jew discuss theological matters:

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
I hear Jodorowsky's Dune is a pretty great documentary about his failed attempt at a Dune movie.

I watched Midnight Run and The American this week. Midnight Run still holds up. I guess Midnight Run kind of cops out at the end with a happy ending, but I'm glad they went that way.

The American is a slow burn the whole way through, with a few notes of violence here and there. It got mixed reviews, but I thought the mood and atmosphere were great. Clooney's best performance, in my opinion.

Just reminded me

MICHAEL CLAYTON (2007)

p166244_p_v13_ag.jpg

One of my favorites that didnt get much attention. Plot is actually apropos of the moment as it involves corporate malfeasance, conspiracy and murder*

*In particular there is one scene where private spooks take out a guy that has an especially realistic feel to it. (Think African presidents)

Very very good movie overall with an excellent cast

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member

The new dune movie might even be better than the book.
Looks visually excellent and hopefully the execution of the story lives up.

But I already have a problem with the lead

Timothée Chalamet​

images

I have a hard time seeing this bird chested manlet as any kind of leader of men.

I had the same problem with THE KING (2019) but that movie was enjoyable nonetheless so Ill approach DUNE with cautious optimism

fireshark

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
Yeah, the color palette and Chalamet as the lead are the two biggest doubts I have. Visually it looks great, and the casting is motly great. Brolin is far better than Patrick Stewart as Gurney, and Skarsgård looks perfect for the Baron.

I saw Jodorowsky's Dune. Jodorowsky is a very strange eccentric. (not that Lynch isn't also an eccentric) It might have been a great movie, it might not. Very interesting doc non the less.

Here is a better version of it, with many important scenes restored. The edit is what killed the movie in the end, like so many other films that were dissected by studio execs.

Is this different than the extended version? That's the one I watched.

Last edited:

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Just reminded me

MICHAEL CLAYTON (2007)

p166244_p_v13_ag.jpg

One of my favorites that didnt get much attention. Plot is actually apropos of the moment as it involves corporate malfeasance, conspiracy and murder*

*In particular there is one scene where private spooks take out a guy that has an especially realistic feel to it. (Think African presidents)

Very very good movie overall with an excellent cast

It was a good movie, but for awhile there Clooney was trying movies with a message, which I found a bit preachy. Syriana was the same way.

And Clooney played a scumbag the whole time, but at the end he went against character and did the right thing.

DeWoken

Robin

The new dune movie might even be better than the book.
Thanks for the new trailer :like:

That documentary about Monsanto sounds like my thing :like:

After re-watching Drive (2011) for the n-th time I decided to broaden my appreciation of the film by getting to know the stars a little better. It's in the name of social studies.

Carrey Mulligan we all remember from An Education (2009). Re-watching that one I enjoyed twisting things into a red-pilled light. "No, of course she doesn't need to go to Oxford! ... 16 and engaged? ... Hey, teacher, leave that kid alone!... He's an unrepentant Jew? Yeah, that is definitely a red flag."

People were saying in that thread that there are no more "sex symbols" these days but from what I gather Ryan Gosling is close to it. Maybe his time has passed?

Being a big fan of his Drive and BR2049 I branched out with Crazy Stupid Love (2011) and it turned out to be a cross between Love Actually and the 40 Year Old Virgin (also starring Steve Carell). Pick up artistry features prominently in the plot, looked at with some ambivalence. An adulterous man is greatly looked down upon, and an adulterous woman is also somewhat shamed. Patrolled! ... naisu!

Also I started watching some Graham Norton shows in full (not just short clips that YT recommends). People in the comments pointed out how in England you are allowed to drink alcohol on TV and unlike American shows they have these kind of Battle Royale scenes of celebs on couches together instead of the one-on-one thing. It could be that this makes for a more fun and natural setting.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
I have a hard time seeing this bird chested manlet as any kind of leader of men.

I had the same problem with THE KING (2019) but that movie was enjoyable nonetheless so Ill approach DUNE with cautious optimism

I think he's a good choice. He's supposed to be a teenager yet he looks mature enough not to be cringe.