The Movie Thread

stugatz

Pelican

Speaking of Napoleon, there's a very long (I believe four hours) silent film that deals with him that I've been itching to see for many years. I'm actually on the verge of buying a foreign DVD of it and will have to wait it out until I can afford a region-free DVD player. It's supposed to be one of the greatest films ever made, and I think Kubrick wanted to follow it with something worthy enough to stand in its shadow.

EDIT: Nope, wrong - it's five and a half hours long (330 minutes). That's insane. I've always liked the idea of watching long movies, but anything longer than three hours is tough to set aside an afternoon for. Gettysburg (four hours, 240 minutes) I've only made it through once, likewise for Once Upon a Time in America (230 minutes) and 1900 (over five hours - 310 minutes). Oddly, I watch Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia at least once a year, and they don't seem nearly as long as they are.

Last edited:

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
I ventured out to the theater for the first time in over a year to see Stillwater. Guy that directed it also did Spotlight, which wasn't bad.

Overall the film was decent. Damon has always been a solid actor and he proves it here again with a lean and subtle performance. He's on a mission to get his daughter out of jail and nothing else matters. But then at some point it sort of wanders into a family drama.

The film lightly touches on diversity, (daughter in the film is mixed, lesbian daughter) but doesn't make Damon a stereotypical redneck. At one point his interpreter gets mad and calls some old Fenchman a racist and Damon says "Yeah, so? I'm trying to save my kid."

I'd say the movie is worth watching for Damon's take on a roughneck out of water.

Oh and when I first came in I was pretty pumped to be the only person in the theater, but then in walked a black couple. I figured they'd maybe be quiet since it's practically an arthouse movie. Wrong. I let it go for awhile then I finally loudly said "Trying to watch to movie!" I probably should have been more polite, but I was pretty annoyed. They didn't even attempt to whisper. I think I'm gonna have to start going to the rural part of town to see movies.

DeWoken

Robin
Oh and when I first came in I was pretty pumped to be the only person in the theater, but then in walked a black couple. I figured they'd maybe be quiet since it's practically an arthouse movie. Wrong. I let it go for awhile then I finally loudly said "Trying to watch to movie!" I probably should have been more polite, but I was pretty annoyed. They didn't even attempt to whisper. I think I'm gonna have to start going to the rural part of town to see movies.

That sounds annoying. I don't have much diversity out here so I don't have much sense of how race relations are these days. Not to be a broken record but instead of just going to the theater in a rural area maybe you should move.

Oddly, I watch Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia at least once a year, and they don't seem nearly as long as they are.

Ben Hur has been played and stopped quite a few times on my screen. I never seem to get through it even though my usual viewing habits are to watch in many intervals. In my salad days I used to boast that I never fell asleep during a movie, and always made it to the end. Maybe tonight's the night :)

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
That sounds annoying. I don't have much diversity out here so I don't have much sense of how race relations are these days. Not to be a broken record but instead of just going to the theater in a rural area maybe you should move.

Ben Hur has been played and stopped quite a few times on my screen. I never seem to get through it even though my usual viewing habits are to watch in many intervals. In my salad days I used to boast that I never fell asleep during a movie, and always made it to the end. Maybe tonight's the night :)

I live in a red state so race relations are pretty chill. If I moved to say West Virginia, I'd probably be only able to watch Marvel movies. If you want to see old stuff you have to go to arthouse theaters, which are typically in cities. Sometimes I ponder flying to LA just to see something at Tarantino's theater, but LA is so awful, it'd be a test of wills.

stugatz

Pelican

Ben-Hur's first part (pre-intermission) is a little over two hours. If you can make it through that, you're golden...the final 75 minutes or so fly by, and begin with that legendary chariot race.

It's actually kind of a wonder that it hasn't gotten a re-rating, the violence is actually pretty brutal and I wouldn't want to show the movie to anyone under 12. One of those G ratings that really needs to be PG-13, lol.

Anyone seen the new documentary Val on Prime? I feel like it borderline deserves it's own thread but am eager to hear what others think of it. I loved it. I do think Val is lost but he is very eager to find Christ. It's a very spiritual film, I enjoyed seeing how his career developed, and his final work as Mark Twain is just amazing, a perfect blend of humor and sadness.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Isn't Val Kilmer a Christian Scientist? A very strange religion that I know very little about, but not a cult as far as I know.

I watched John Woo's A Better Tomorrow. Woo might be one of the most influential directors of all time. He's great at directing action sequences. The movie also has great pacing and story. Highly recommend it.

Isn't Val Kilmer a Christian Scientist? A very strange religion that I know very little about, but not a cult as far as I know.

I watched John Woo's A Better Tomorrow. Woo might be one of the most influential directors of all time. He's great at directing action sequences. The movie also has great pacing and story. Highly recommend it.

Yeah that's interesting because that term Christian scientist was mentioned in the film but I didn't think anything of it. He said he comes from a Christian scientist household. I just thought he was kind of generically saying they were Christians who followed science or something.

When I think of John Woo I always think of this clip from the MTV movie awards.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
I haven't watched the documentary. I'm a pretty big fan, even though I've heard he's a jerk, so it'd be hard to see the guy in pain. I'm interested to see how they will use him in the new Top Gun movie.

Christian scientists refuse to seek medical treatment for any ailment. There were rumors a few years ago when Kilmer was battling throat cancer he refused to seek treatment due to his religion.

Similar thing happened to James Hatfield of Metallica. His mother was a strict Cnristian Scientist and succumbed to cancer without ever getting medical care.

Yeah John Woo didn't have such a great run in Hollywood. Oh well. Hong Kong knows what to do to let the guy shine, apparently. A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, Hard Boiled. All great films within just a few years of each other.

Towgunner

Kingfisher
The new Dune movie does look promising. There have been other attempts to make this novel into a movie and they've all fell short. This one has potential. That being said, I can already sense the despicable influence of leftism. Paul is an uninspiring soy boy with feminine undertones. Leto, looks the part as does Ducan and others. But, of course, Paul is the focus. Or is he. Lady Jessica is already being described as a "warrior", simply because "they" are obsessed with portraying women, who are not very strong, as warriors, because warriors are men and that's not fair. I suspect this will be the case with the Freman, especially Paul's girl, Chani. I'm sure she'll outshine Paul on the battlefield because of "equality".The Barron looks menacing and is already given me goosebumps, so good so far. But, given how depraved our culture has become I shudder to think what kind of perverted scenes they may include. After all, the Barron is homosexual, and "they" obsess about homosexuals. "They" also make no concessions for the depravity that is common within the homosexual "community" and I suspect they'll use the Barron as a way to normalize.

I hope I'm wrong.

Looks visually excellent and hopefully the execution of the story lives up.

But I already have a problem with the lead

Timothée Chalamet​

images

I have a hard time seeing this bird chested manlet as any kind of leader of men.

I had the same problem with THE KING (2019) but that movie was enjoyable nonetheless so Ill approach DUNE with cautious optimism
Villeneuve to me looked like a great director initially. I just think he's drunk the Soy too much.

Incendies got good crits. Prisoners. And then Sicario was pretty powerful.
He wanted to do another Sci-fi movie to show how he would have done a better version of Star Wars: the SJW awakens.

He's been seen as being an heir to Michael Mann as both are called "Abstract Expressionists" by the media. His films are powerful visually.. but I thought that Bladerunner 2049 was pretty disappointing - full of clunky dialogue, info dumps, trying too hard to be meaningful and memorable..

I fear for this Dune. I was looking forward to it but it looks like Hollywood has infected it.

As for Timothy Challamet... :/ :/

Here he is in the wake of #MeToo sitting next to accused-abuser and fellow Jewbot Armie Hammer (great grandson of crypto Jew and Bolshevik enabler Armand Hammer) saying meaningless things to CNN bird-brain Christiane Amanpour (herself married to Democrat Clinton Administration Secretary of State Jewbot James Rubin) and then being asked why then he's working with fellow (((Tribe))) member Woody Allen when the guy is a serial child abuser?

O to be able to talk my way out of things in the same manner.

I think Dune's gonna be pretty rubbish and whilst stunning visually, it will be paint by numbers and hamstrung by acting and dialogue issues. Monsieur Chalamet and Fremen Gurlpower will be at the forefront of its drawbacks.

Last edited:

Towgunner

Kingfisher
Villeneuve to me looked like a great director initially. I just think he's drunk the Soy too much.

Incendies got good crits. Prisoners. And then Sicario was pretty powerful.
He wanted to do another Sci-fi movie to show how he would have done a better version of Star Wars: the SJW awakens.

He's been seen as being an heir to Michael Mann as both are called "Abstract Expressionists" by the media. His films are powerful visually.. but I thought that Bladerunner 2049 was pretty disappointing - full of clunky dialogue, info dumps, trying too hard to be meaningful and memorable..

I fear for this Dune. I was looking forward to it but it looks like Hollywood has infected it.

As for Timothy Challamet... :/ :/

Here he is in the wake of #MeToo sitting next to accused-abuser and fellow Jewbot Armie Hammer (great grandson of crypto Jew and Bolshevik enabler Armand Hammer) saying meaningless things to CNN bird-brain Christiane Amanpour (herself married to Democrat Clinton Administration Secretary of State Jewbot James Rubin) and then being asked why then he's working with fellow (((Tribe))) member Woody Allen when the guy is a serial child abuser?

O to be able to talk my way out of things in the same manner.

I think Dune's gonna be pretty rubbish and whilst stunning visually, it will be paint by numbers and hamstrung by acting and dialogue issues. Monsieur Chalamet and Fremen Gurlpower will be at the forefront of its drawbacks.
Yeah, I agree with this too. I've been watching a lot of the featurettes on Youtube. Lady Jessica was portrayed in the original novel as strong and all that, but, methinks this is too juicy of an opportunity for Hollywood to embellish this further. Ditto for the Freman. In the David Lynch version, he had female warriors too, but, they didn't overdo it. Kinda more like Princess Lia in Star Wars. Given today's social engineering we should expect this to also be overplayed. I wouldn't be surprised if Chani (Paul's Freman wife) outshines him, which will deteriorate the character development and since Pual is the center of the story, the entire movie. We've seen this before.

The Penitent Man

Kingfisher
This movie The Highwaymen was pretty good. Watched it the other night on tv. It didn’t look particularly interesting at first but the “based on a true story” storyline was good and there wasn’t really any poz, it was just cops chasing Bonnie and Clyde (who were thankfully portrayed as murderous monsters instead of glamorous villains).