The Movie Thread

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
I recently saw "Nobody" which stars Bob Odenkirk, and is a very fun and sort of old school action film. John Lithgow is really fun as the dad... ; )

Christopher Lloyd is the dad

l-intro-1631834764.jpg

But yeah...good movie

DeWoken

Robin
I'm looking forward to "Man of God". Not sure where it's available though.

Looks good. On the torrents (no links, please!) there is "No Man of God (2021)" which is not that movie, and MoG is also a 2021 production. :confused:

I watched Cry Macho and thought the reviews were accurate in saying Clint is too damn old for this type of roll. (I recommend subtitles for his later movies because his voice is hard to understand at times). It was watchable, though. There is a discussion about God and whether or not he saves people from wrong denominations, which was nice to see. I enjoyed the 1979 setting.

The Mule (2018) was alright, kind of tapping into the Breaking Bad genre. I could see there being room for all kinds of fun situations if this had been stretched out into a TV series. It's good to bring awareness to the situation we are in with regards to drugs.

Now I have cued up Clint's Trouble with The Curve (2012).

Jesu Juva

Pigeon
Yeah, Angel Heart is a really underrated film that immerses you in the atmosphere and culture of New Orleans. Tight script, good acting by Rourke, and a nice twist for an ending.
The scenes in New York are also cool. The one shot at the beach is one of the coolest ever. The entire movie gives you the feeling of that time in a dirty film noir way mixed with occultism and DeNiro as the mysterious villain. White Sands with Rourke and Willem Dafoe is also underrated.
MV5BM2VmZDY3MDItNWZiZi00NjAyLWJjYjktODE0MzhlMmZiYmNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

The Penitent Man

Kingfisher
In the original script, the character of Switch (note the name) was supposed to be male in the real world and female in the matrix. This was based on the notion of "RSI" (risidual self image). The clothing and guns they carried in the matrix were loaded before the jacked in the matrix, but their general appearance (the RSI) was created automatically by the matrix based on their "self-identity".

But they thought it was too much for the public to accept at the time, so they dropped this angle.

They still kept hints: the RSI concept and many characters looking androgynous (Neo, Trinity, Switch).
Also, the degenracy of Zion (mixed races, lesbians and gays).
Call me sadistic but I really enjoyed when Switch died. I never liked the character and I found it satisfying how helpless and surprised she acted before that guy pulled her plug. The chick that played her did a pretty good job reading both of her lines throughout the movie.

I made it all the way through Loki without realizing it was all about trannyism. I remember hearing some thinly veiled reference to homosexuality in one of the quips but I didn’t realize the entire premise was centered around gender bending until I pulled up Wikipedia to read about some plot point in the show. I thought it was just a show about a a time traveling comic villain, but I guess the writers, and apparently the actors, need to see the gay in everything and put it on display for the rest of us.

From Wikipedia:

Tom Hiddleston as Loki:
Thor's adopted brother and the god of mischief, based on the Norse mythological deity of the same name.[4] This is an alternate, "time variant" version of Loki who created a new timeline in Avengers: Endgame (2019) beginning in 2012.[5]Because of this, he has not gone through the events of Thor: The Dark World (2013) or Thor: Ragnarok (2017), which reformed the previously villainous character before his death in Avengers: Infinity War (2018).[6][7]Head writer Michael Waldron compared Loki to Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs since both were adopted and love being in control.[8] Hiddleston expressed interest in returning to the role in order to explore Loki's powers, particularly his shapeshifting, which plays into the series' exploration of identity.[7] Loki's sex in the series is denoted by the Time Variance Authority as "fluid", referencing the character's genderfluidity in Marvel Comics that had previously been speculated on for the MCU given his shapeshifting ability.[9][10] Waldron said he was aware of how many people identify with Loki's genderfluidity and were "eager for that representation".[11] The series also reveals Loki as bisexual, becoming the first major queer character in the MCU.[12] The series explores more of Loki's magic abilities, such as his telekinesis and magic blasts

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Call me sadistic but I really enjoyed when Switch died. I never liked the character and I found it satisfying how helpless and surprised she acted before that guy pulled her plug. The chick that played her did a pretty good job reading both of her lines throughout the movie.

I made it all the way through Loki without realizing it was all about trannyism. I remember hearing some thinly veiled reference to homosexuality in one of the quips but I didn’t realize the entire premise was centered around gender bending until I pulled up Wikipedia to read about some plot point in the show. I thought it was just a show about a a time traveling comic villain, but I guess the writers, and apparently the actors, need to see the gay in everything and put it on display for the rest of us.

From Wikipedia:

Tom Hiddleston as Loki:
Thor's adopted brother and the god of mischief, based on the Norse mythological deity of the same name.[4] This is an alternate, "time variant" version of Loki who created a new timeline in Avengers: Endgame (2019) beginning in 2012.[5]Because of this, he has not gone through the events of Thor: The Dark World (2013) or Thor: Ragnarok (2017), which reformed the previously villainous character before his death in Avengers: Infinity War (2018).[6][7]Head writer Michael Waldron compared Loki to Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs since both were adopted and love being in control.[8] Hiddleston expressed interest in returning to the role in order to explore Loki's powers, particularly his shapeshifting, which plays into the series' exploration of identity.[7] Loki's sex in the series is denoted by the Time Variance Authority as "fluid", referencing the character's genderfluidity in Marvel Comics that had previously been speculated on for the MCU given his shapeshifting ability.[9][10] Waldron said he was aware of how many people identify with Loki's genderfluidity and were "eager for that representation".[11] The series also reveals Loki as bisexual, becoming the first major queer character in the MCU.[12] The series explores more of Loki's magic abilities, such as his telekinesis and magic blasts
Can you tell me why does anyone watch marvel now?

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Sometimes I just want to watch things zip around and blow up, but I guess that can’t be done nowadays without being blasted by faggotry or some form of 5th generation warfare.
I take back my snide remark, first couple Iron man movies (with mickey Rourke/Ben Kingsley) were good and Thor Ragnarok was good.

Still prefer the Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer Batman movies for super hero stuff though.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
A buddy from high school called me up and wanted to go catch a movie, which we used to do a lot as teenagers...
He didn't have any ideas and I told him all the movies I want to see are problematic.

I would love to see the new 007, but it is very woke and Bond turns over the reins to a black female to replace him at the end.
I would love to see another Matrix, but it is all about transsexualism.
I would love to see the new Dune, but none of the trailers look interesting or coherent. Maybe we should just rent something from the 90s.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
A buddy from high school called me up and wanted to go catch a movie, which we used to do a lot as teenagers...
He didn't have any ideas and I told him all the movies I want to see are problematic.

I would love to see the new 007, but it is very woke and Bond turns over the reins to a black female to replace him at the end.
I would love to see another Matrix, but it is all about transsexualism.
I would love to see the new Dune, but none of the trailers look interesting or coherent. Maybe we should just rent something from the 90s.

This reads like a poem.

I got the chance to see Citizen Kane and Carrie in theaters in the past month.

What can you say about Citizen Kane that hasn't already been said? I'll just steal from Ebert's review: "There is a master image in “Citizen Kane” you might easily miss. The tycoon has overextended himself and is losing control of his empire. After he signs the papers of his surrender, he turns and walks into the back of the shot. Deep focus allows Welles to play a trick of perspective. Behind Kane on the wall is a window that seems to be of average size. But as he walks toward it, we see it is further away and much higher than we thought. Eventually he stands beneath its lower sill, shrunken and diminished. Then as he walks toward us, his stature grows again. A man always seems the same size to himself, because he does not stand where we stand to look at him."

Carrie still holds up all these years later. What I liked most was the era it takes place in. The 70s seem like they would have been a great decade to grow up in. The prom scene at the end is still kinetic and insane. One minute everyone is having a good time and the next everything goes bananas. One of the best horror movies ever made.

The only superhero movies that don't blast PC and homo satan crap in your face nowadays are the older ones and a select few of the newer ones.

Superman 1978
Flash Gordon 1980
Highlander 1986 (church scene is the best, how many heroes do they show praying nowadays?)
Batman 1989 / Returns 1992
The Punisher 1989 / Punisher 2004 (kind of soap opera-ish) / Punisher: War Zone 2008 was probably the best
Darkman 1990
The Shadow 1993
The Crow 1994
The Phantom 1996
Spawn 1997 (funny scene where demon clown admits satanists are retarded)
The Mask of Zorro 1998
Watchmen Ultimate Cut 2009 (some anti-God themes with the Dr. Manhattan character, but they didn't push this)
I sometimes give nolan's trilogy a pass, great films but then again there were bits of PC crap thrown in there like alfred REMINDING everyone that the waynes helped out the "underground railroad" and those poor bwacks.
Man of Steel 2013 was ok...

Not surprised to hear that all this marvel stuff is now about being gay or trans whatever. Sickening and good to know so I can tell people who still manchild themselves over that stuff to get over it.

Maddox

Robin

The producers of the Bond films were saying over and over that Bond could be of any ethnicity, but he had to be a man.

And now they're going back on their word.

The Penitent Man

Kingfisher
The producers of the Bond films were saying over and over that Bond could be of any ethnicity, but he had to be a man.

And now they're going back on their word.
It would be funny to see the new black Bondette hitting on all the men and with all this classic sexual innuendos and them responding with awkward excuses, trying to slowly distance themselves and slink off to another room.

“Very subtle, Ms. Bond. Oh boy, would you look at the time! I really must be going off to sort my coin collection this evening. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“No no, can’t talk gotta go!”

“Well then, perhaps I’m not the man for the job after all, you can take it up with M but I must be going now!”

I recently watched The King of Staten Island, for no other reason than it had Bill Burr in it. It took me a while to get into it, I felt like I was going through the first season of a series just trying to get a feel for the characters (however that may have had to do with the mood I was in at the time).

I ended up rather liking it overall, with some significant caveats:
-I had not realized it was a Judd Apatow film, and consequently it has a more than average level of degeneracy, particularly prolific and casual teen sex and drug use.
-it appears to be trying hard to portray the females as leaders/strong characters, at least compared to the males

The upside:
-the film (I would say almost in spite of itself) demonstrates the importance and significance of father figures and male companionship, as well as mentoring from older men

Marisa Tomei plays the lead character's long-widowed mother who ends up kicking him out of the house, but interesting is the way it plays out: not because she is doing the 'tough love' thing for his being a junkie, but because she has recently started dating again and appears to have hopped on the carousel full speed ahead. This isn't dwelt upon but that is how the scene comes across.

Bill Burr's ex-wife craps all over him by telling the lead all sorts of awful things about Burr's character, but it turns out to be all lies. Burr later says, surrounded by his firefighter colleagues, "you wanted to find out about me so you asked the person who hates me most in the world, instead of these guys?"

From Wiki:
The film has been called a "semi-biographical" take on the life of Davidson, whose father was a New York City firefighter who died in service during the September 11 attacks and who has had his own battles with mental illness.

It wasn't bad, it has its moments and a few laughs, and the dramatic acting is well done also. Glad I watched it but I wouldn't necessarily take the time to watch it again.