The Movie Thread

I hope Dune lives up to the hype. We could all do with some escapism,
But films are all so half hearted now. No matter the film, visual art direction is good and then the rest: the script, the acting is both generic and lacklustre. They're not even trying these days.
The idea of developing a character and struggling to come up with slowly evolving dialogue in scenes between characters is an anathema to these spoilt rich kids in the Film industry.
I watched the Dune lead, Chalamet, in The King recently and thought he was weak and effeminate and a bad actor but at least his voice work was good. Then I noticed his voice was being dubbed into the scenes that were too difficult for him.
It was visually stunning but a terrible film. Just bored and worn out and self-aware that the same film had been made 100 times over in the pastwith 100 times better results.
Braveheart this was not.
The Agincourt battle was done ten times better with "The Battle of the Bastards" in Game of Thrones. This one, at times, had people cuddling each other and rolling around on top of each other but no attempt to hit each other or make a fight look real. "Don't worry.. CGI will fix it! Don't worry.. the edit will clear it up!"
Bad Art inflicted upon us by Rich People.
Outlaw/King on Netflix with Chris Pine was the same. Washed out, tired, insipid. Chris Pine weighing all of 50kg as he saunters around in a nightgown/dress.
Just paint by numbers rubbish with contempt for the rest of us.
Its all so weak.

Stadtaffe

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Gold Member
I went to the cinema a few times recently (without a mask) and among other things saw :

"No Time to Die", the new Bond movie. I've seen them all and wasn't going to stop just because of twisted politics in the latest one. Well, it wasn't that bad, of course lacks what the older ones had before the time of political correctness.

In particular near the start, that dialogue he has with the woman he is with Madeleine is very non-Bond like. There is elements of him being led a bit like some kind of modern cucked husband. The woman in control. What next, James Bond is going to discuss what takeaway they should order.. Something about who he always was has been slightly removed from the character now.

There are a lot of black women in prominent and smaller rolls in this film. Well, even in the 80s "A View to a Kill" had Grace Jones in it so it is not something that new in the Bond movies, but this time there's something woke going on. There is a depiction of modern London culture in it. Then, the science fiction themes, around biological weapons, things leaking out of labs..

Some good chase scenes in there and to its credit, not all just the most modern cars etc. Not some kind of obscene product placement in this film which is good.

I really liked Daniel Craig btw in "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Have seen that version and the Swedish one. Was reading a bit about his life, he has two children but dated some German actress for seven years without having any children. From the north of England.

The other thing I saw was something completely different, "Nomadland". Actually, I walked past a cinema and noticed some kind of huge opening night event. Wish I was part of it, but was too late. So looked from home later what else was showing and late at night was this "Nomadland". The trailer looked rather depressing but I was rather desperate to get to a cinema so I went.

Actually, only days after seeing the film did I notice it was a play on words "No man's land". The main character Fern is in a mobile home going around America running out of money, doing odd jobs for Amazon. Her husband had died and she had lost her job. Actually, there is a scene where she visits her family which she abandoned for a life on the road and it sort of explains quite a lot about it.

I saw this movie also out of personal reasons. As an expat, I live some of the time in a nomadic style myself, just not the mobile home version of it. Anyway, there are some important messages in this film for those of us who have that streak. Really, it is a kind of a warning. I was thinking that strongly to myself even during the watching of the film - it is a warning about what happens to someone going for that kind of life when they are down on their luck. My own take on it was a warning about what happens when you play your card wrong.

Anyway, I now found one of the podcasters I like to listen to has done a whole show on that film :
..have started listening. Actually, at the end of the film itself is a very relevant dedication. Won't spoil it by saying what it exactly was though. Definitely, that film is a warning to some of us, should not not see it just cause of the depressing elements.

To be perfectly honest, the Bond movie moved me to tears towards the end but not the other one! It actually has faithful references to numerous things from the Bond saga which will please the fans. It is getting to the point that they are ruining the franchise, TPTB are not going to be able to properly honour and leave in peace such a masculine symbol as James Bond

Manhunter.

I’m not into horror movies at all but this movie was amazing. I will be watching all of Mr. Mann’s movies. That man knows how to capture a scene.

Thief is my favorite one of his, still need to watch a couple more.

I only saw this within the last year or so - excellent film all round.

(The more recent "Red Dragon" was essentially a remake of this: I watched some of it and not only was it inferior, it was wholly unnecessary.)

Brian Cox as Lecter was excellent, William Peterson delivers a good performance as always, I always enjoy Dennis Farina, the cast was just top notch all round.

***mini spoiler alert***

the scene where he takes the girl to the tiger is very powerful, I loved it

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
The only superhero movies that don't blast PC and homo satan crap in your face nowadays are the older ones and a select few of the newer ones.

Superman 1978
Flash Gordon 1980
Highlander 1986 (church scene is the best, how many heroes do they show praying nowadays?)
Batman 1989 / Returns 1992
The Punisher 1989 / Punisher 2004 (kind of soap opera-ish) / Punisher: War Zone 2008 was probably the best
Darkman 1990
The Shadow 1993
The Crow 1994
The Phantom 1996
Spawn 1997 (funny scene where demon clown admits satanists are retarded)
The Mask of Zorro 1998
Watchmen Ultimate Cut 2009 (some anti-God themes with the Dr. Manhattan character, but they didn't push this)
I sometimes give nolan's trilogy a pass, great films but then again there were bits of PC crap thrown in there like alfred REMINDING everyone that the waynes helped out the "underground railroad" and those poor bwacks.
Man of Steel 2013 was ok...

Not surprised to hear that all this marvel stuff is now about being gay or trans whatever. Sickening and good to know so I can tell people who still manchild themselves over that stuff to get over it.

You know you can other movies besides superhero ones. There are lots of gems in the era some of those came out, namely the 70s and 90s.

Can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but I saw ms. 45 a month of so ago. First movie Abel Ferrara ever made. Tarantino is a fan of it, so I figured why not?

I like that it portrays a gritty New York, before it turned into part Disneyland. It reminds me a bit of Death Wish, without the conservative message. Basically a chick gets raped, not once but twice in a day. Then she acquires a .45 and things go sideways from there. If you like Bad Lieutenant you'll probably dig this.

As far as Mann goes, I still have yet to see Manhunter. There's just something about pastel color background for a serial killer that seems incongruent. I'm sure it looks amazing, but I've always been hesitant to see this one, even though I'm a huge Mann fan. Heat is one of my favorite movies.

One of his movies I keep going back to is Miami Vice. When I first saw it, I didn't quite get it. With the passage of time, I've come to think it's a masterpiece. Visually I think it's one of the best movies ever made.

Last edited:

Renzy

Pelican
View attachment 34041

Manhunter.

I’m not into horror movies at all but this movie was amazing. I will be watching all of Mr. Mann’s movies. That man knows how to capture a scene.

Thief is my favorite one of his, still need to watch a couple more.

Not the same director but the lead in Manhunter (William Petersen) was in another great flick you might like too, To Live and Die in LA.

MV5BMTQzOGQwMDktYWE3ZS00MTUzLTkxNDctN2I1NTlmYWI2NDBiL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_FMjpg_UY705_.jpg

The movie was based on the novels (which are great reading) by Gerald Petievich, a former treasury agent. Peterson plays a secret service agent obsessed with taking down a counterfeiter, played by Willem Dafoe.

Monty_Brogan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Not the same director but the lead in Manhunter (William Petersen) was in another great flick you might like too, To Live and Die in LA.

MV5BMTQzOGQwMDktYWE3ZS00MTUzLTkxNDctN2I1NTlmYWI2NDBiL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_FMjpg_UY705_.jpg

The movie was based on the novels (which are great reading) by Gerald Petievich, a former treasury agent. Peterson plays a secret service agent obsessed with taking down a counterfeiter, played by Willem Dafoe.

Thank you for the recommendation! I will have to check it out

You know you can other movies besides superhero ones. There are lots of gems in the era some of those came out, namely the 70s and 90s.

Can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but I saw ms. 45 a month of so ago. First movie Abel Ferrara ever made. Tarantino is a fan of it, so I figured why not?

I like that it portrays a gritty New York, before it turned into part Disneyland. It reminds me a bit of Death Wish, without the conservative message. Basically a chick gets raped, not once but twice in a day. Then she acquires a .45 and things go sideways from there. If you like Bad Lieutenant you'll probably dig this.

As far as Mann goes, I still have yet to see Manhunter. There's just something about pastel color background for a serial killer that seems incongruent. I'm sure it looks amazing, but I've always been hesitant to see this one, even though I'm a huge Mann fan. Heat is one of my favorite movies.
I meant that post to be in response to another's post about superhero movies and the lame PC agendas being shown and encouraged.

By no means are any of those films I listed what I consider "great films" other than perhaps Watchmen 2009. Most superhero movies are subpar because they have no real basis in history or interesting philosophy, just nerdy human worship. The historical and western movies of the 50's, 60's, and 70's are really great and usually what I would watch when I have nothing going on. Check out "The Wind and the Lion" 1975, with Connery as a Barbary Pirate and Brian Keith as a macho, gritty Teddy Roosevelt, some great dialogue and no degeneracy that I could see:

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Most superhero movies are middling because they are meant to appeal to a mass audience. They lack identity, a voice, vision, all of that sort of thing. It's like going to Applebee's instead of your local pizzeria that's been in business for 30 years. There have been some good superhero movies, namely Dark Knight (more of a heist flick) and Logan (updated western). Oh and Spiderman 2 with Toby Maguire was solid, but it might not have aged well.

I don't think a movie needs to based on historical events or wax philosophical. Just look at movies like Jaws or Pulp Fiction. It isn't what the movie is about, it's how it goes about telling the story.

Anyways, I went and saw No Time To Die in IMAX for dang near 18 bucks. It's a good movie, but they aren't as fun as they used to be. Instead they go for gritty and serious. And Bond isn't the lady killer he used to be, in fact I don't think he seduces a single one throughout the movie. He's too busy emoting and sharing his feelings. Ugh. Ok man we get it, defending England is tough, but can't you just drink it away like you used to? But it's still a strong performance from Craig and he does go guns blazing when he needs to.

I must admit the action sequences were incredible. The opening scene was excellent and had me tuned in. But the plot was overloaded and the villain kind of sucked and never really explained his reasons for trying to destroy the world. One of the better set pieces was when Bond went to Cuba to go find some Russian scientist. They managed to keep it light and funny while in a crazy gunfight. There were also some sound fx in the movie that I thought was pretty cool.

Overall it's a decent movie worth seeing. I'd probably rank it 3rd in Craig's Bond outings. Not a bad one to go out on.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Thanks for the Bond review. It sounds too much like every other film post-2000: Produced on a hundred million dollar budget with lots of loud explosions and intense action sequences choreographed to music designed to increase your heart rate, but a meaningless or illogical story and lack of compelling or realistic characters, along with a fear of doing or saying anything remotely red blooded male in fears of triggering SJWs.

One thing you could always count on with Bond was the great on-location shooting, so hopefully that doesn't disappoint. I'll still see it, along with the Tranny Matrix 4, but I'm not sure I'll go to the theater for either.

Maddox

Robin
Horrible news coming out about the Indiana Jones franchise. Indy is not only going to be replaced in the franchise by a woman, but also erased from history.

Maddox

Robin
Anyways, I went and saw No Time To Die in IMAX for dang near 18 bucks. It's a good movie, but they aren't as fun as they used to be. Instead they go for gritty and serious. And Bond isn't the lady killer he used to be, in fact I don't think he seduces a single one throughout the movie. He's too busy emoting and sharing his feelings. Ugh. Ok man we get it, defending England is tough, but can't you just drink it away like you used to? But it's still a strong performance from Craig and he does go guns blazing when he needs to.

I must admit the action sequences were incredible. The opening scene was excellent and had me tuned in. But the plot was overloaded and the villain kind of sucked and never really explained his reasons for trying to destroy the world. One of the better set pieces was when Bond went to Cuba to go find some Russian scientist. They managed to keep it light and funny while in a crazy gunfight. There were also some sound fx in the movie that I thought was pretty cool.

Overall it's a decent movie worth seeing. I'd probably rank it 3rd in Craig's Bond outings. Not a bad one to go out on.

No mention of the parallels between the movie plot and the real-life Covid plot?

MRAll134

Pelican
Seeing as it is Spooktober, I was thinking we could write down a few of our favourite horror movies. Horror movies, like everything in life, are okay to watch - in moderation (imo). A few from my top tens:

1)The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - lots of weird villains in this one and strange settings e.g. a nuclear blast crater
2) The Hills Run Red (2009) - very meta, a self-aware horror movie, with lots of twists
3) Pontypool (2008) - a great zombie film which focuses on sound, transfer of sound, re-watchable.

SeaEagle

Sparrow
Seeing as it is Spooktober, I was thinking we could write down a few of our favourite horror movies. Horror movies, like everything in life, are okay to watch - in moderation (imo). A few from my top tens:

1)The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - lots of weird villains in this one and strange settings e.g. a nuclear blast crater
2) The Hills Run Red (2009) - very meta, a self-aware horror movie, with lots of twists
3) Pontypool (2008) - a great zombie film which focuses on sound, transfer of sound, re-watchable.
I respectfully disagree. I saw the hills have eyes at age 13 at a friends house (with his parents AND younger sister). The rape and murder scenes were brutal. No one should be filling their minds with gore and filth, kids or not.

As for movies in general, this technology ellicits a passive dreamlike state where social programming has an easy avenue of penetration. I always had a low patience for movies in general and would rather to play with Lego as a kid and often dissapeared during movie night. It seems like a form of escapism.

No judgement, some movies are fairly harmless and great entertainment. I like Rushmore and Napoleon Dynamite especially.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member

MrFreezy

Sparrow

One of the best. Still haunts me till today.

Some other ones from the top of my head:

Exorcism of Emily Rose(2005) - my favorite exorcism movie

The woman in black (2012) - one of the best ghost movies of all time

The wailing (2016) - Korean ghost horror without jump scares

MRAll134

Pelican
One of the best. Still haunts me till today.

Some other ones from the top of my head:

Exorcism of Emily Rose(2005) - my favorite exorcism movie

The woman in black (2012) - one of the best ghost movies of all time

The wailing (2016) - Korean ghost horror without jump scares
I have a copy of the Wailing. I will break it out for a second watch this month.

Maddox

Robin
I respectfully disagree. I saw the hills have eyes at age 13 at a friends house (with his parents AND younger sister). The rape and murder scenes were brutal. No one should be filling their minds with gore and filth, kids or not.

As for movies in general, this technology ellicits a passive dreamlike state where social programming has an easy avenue of penetration. I always had a low patience for movies in general and would rather to play with Lego as a kid and often dissapeared during movie night. It seems like a form of escapism.

No judgement, some movies are fairly harmless and great entertainment. I like Rushmore and Napoleon Dynamite especially.

I hated Napoleon Dynamite with an unbridled passion. Every character acted like they were retarded. And since other guys watched that film and might attempt to emulate the behavior of those characters, it doesn't seem so harmless to me.