The Movie Thread

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Oh yeah, I enjoyed Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and I found myself thinking the exact same thing as you did about LA. I have never visited the USA and I guess now I never will because of all this vaccine bollocks, who knows. But I wonder if Americans understand what a place the USA is in the mind of a foreign individual that has never been there. My USA is based on stories, folklore, movies, detective novels - the USA in the fifties through to the end the 80s must have been a fantastic place. I often wonder if perhaps it is better that I don't see it for real so that it remains a pristine dream. The other problem of course is that you can visit a place but you cannot visit a time!!

I went to LA once nearly a decade ago. It was filthy and crowded. Spent a fair amount of time in traffic. When I left there was a line for security trailing all the way outside. Worst airport I've ever been to in my life.

The LA that Tarantino put up on the screen no longer exists. Maybe it never did.

Not the same director but the lead in Manhunter (William Petersen) was in another great flick you might like too, To Live and Die in LA.

MV5BMTQzOGQwMDktYWE3ZS00MTUzLTkxNDctN2I1NTlmYWI2NDBiL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_FMjpg_UY705_.jpg

The movie was based on the novels (which are great reading) by Gerald Petievich, a former treasury agent. Peterson plays a secret service agent obsessed with taking down a counterfeiter, played by Willem Dafoe.
good to see someone remembers this movie. Was my first Willem Dafoe film. I believe it was directed by a guy called Friedkin (?) I think he made The Exorcist

I saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood for the second time. Brad Pitt is fucking cool as hell in this movie. He's basically John Wayne, if John Wayne was a stuntman and occasionally did acid. One of my favorite scenes was when Pitt dropped off Leo and drove back to his shitty trailer in Van Nuys. LA must have been incredible back in the day. And that violent scene with Vanilla Fudge blasting in the background. Gawd damn.

Best movie of the year.
I was inspired by your post to watch this again and I gotta say I enjoyed it even more second time around. This might just be the last great american movie, just before the covid darkness came down. It is so well made, no shitty green screen bollocks. The scenes at the ranch with the manson family are really spooky and made me think of how the hippie dream revealed its violent core with the slaying of Sharon Tate and Jay Sebring. Devils got loose and ran amok. Just a really absorbing movie that reminds you how great cinema can be when it does what it should. A love letter to a time and a place that will never exist again, and as some have pointed out, maybe never existed anyway. And those cars! That thing Cliff drives Rick around in, what is that? Amazing automobile

inthefade

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
I'm curious how you guys deal with the fact that the entire movie industry is run by atheist "jews" and is only used to push messaging (propaganda) since the beginning. As far as I understand, your subconscious mind cannot discern the difference between a movie and reality. Observing a horrific murder or rape scene on screen is the same as witnessing it in reality. Why would you subject yourself to that? Comedies are the only movies I can sit through now without being repulsed.

And those cars! That thing Cliff drives Rick around in, what is that? Amazing automobile

This site is great for fans of automobiles, helps you figure out which cars are in a movie/tvshow that you can't figure out.

I haven't seen Once Upon a Time, but I think the car your talking about is one of the caddys.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
I was inspired by your post to watch this again and I gotta say I enjoyed it even more second time around. This might just be the last great american movie, just before the covid darkness came down. It is so well made, no shitty green screen bollocks. The scenes at the ranch with the manson family are really spooky and made me think of how the hippie dream revealed its violent core with the slaying of Sharon Tate and Jay Sebring. Devils got loose and ran amok. Just a really absorbing movie that reminds you how great cinema can be when it does what it should. A love letter to a time and a place that will never exist again, and as some have pointed out, maybe never existed anyway. And those cars! That thing Cliff drives Rick around in, what is that? Amazing automobile
The car is an MG

Enoch

Hummingbird
I thought that Dune movie was pretty good :)

What do people think, will it get the sequel it deserves?
Read Dune many years ago. Loved it. Later novels by Frank Herbert get a little weird and the prequels/expanded universe stuff that Frank Herbert's son did is pretty bland.

If I was not familiar with the source material the movie would have made pretty much zero sense. The sets, special effects, acting, soundtrack, casting etc all great. Narrative/script not good.

Part of the problem is that all of these different groups (Bene Gesserrit, Navigators, Mentats, great houses, etc) have really complex relationships to each other in the Dune world that can't be explored in one movie. Would have been better as 10 episode special on HBO.

Also surprised they didn't take the part out where if you are scared like an animal you get the jab and die immediately.

Last edited:

Maddox

Woodpecker
I'm curious how you guys deal with the fact that the entire movie industry is run by atheist "jews" and is only used to push messaging (propaganda) since the beginning. As far as I understand, your subconscious mind cannot discern the difference between a movie and reality. Observing a horrific murder or rape scene on screen is the same as witnessing it in reality. Why would you subject yourself to that? Comedies are the only movies I can sit through now without being repulsed.

I go into every TV series and film these days wearing my "red pill glasses" and on the lookout for certain messaging. However, I can still enjoy the movie or TV show while being alert to any propaganda that's being pushed...just as long as it's not too heavy.

Promiscuous women are not going to ruin a film for me. But if a character starts promoting Critical Race Theory, then I'd probably turn off whatever I'm watching right then and there.

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Part of the problem is that all of these different groups (Bene Gesserrit, Navigators, Mentats, great houses, etc) have really complex relationships to each other in the Dune world that can't be explored in one movie. Would have been better as 10 episode special on HBO.
With the recent cultural saturation that Game of Thrones achieved I think the general idea of great houses isn't too hard to conjure up. But yeah, it is a real shame the full treatment wasn't possible. It could be that these days it's easier to fly under the radar making a movie, it's able to be less pozzed.

To Live and Die in LA has been on my to-see list for a while.

Tom Slick

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I’ll never understand what people liked about Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. An hour and a half into it, I googled the plot just to see if the movie actually had one.
The plot was just lame shower thoughts from a director/writer who is not known for originality of ideas and content, but merely for so-called style. The whole movie was just, "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if Manson had been prevented by the stuntman for a washed up TV Western lead. Oh, oh, oh, and let's squeeze Bruce Lee in there."

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
I’ll never understand what people liked about Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. An hour and a half into it, I googled the plot just to see if the movie actually had one.

That's the only reason you didn't like it? So what if it had no plot? Some of my favorite movies like Boogie Nights, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Uncut Gems don't have any plot. Plot is overrated.

"Silence" by Martin Scorsese (2016)

Watched it the other day and it is an absolutely beautiful movie. The whole story is about Catholic priests who are trying to convert the Japanese people. However, the Japanese torture and kill anyone they presume to be Christian.

It has Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, and Liam Neeson as the main actors. They all do a great job.

It is a brutal movie, but one with an amazing message. It really shows what it means to be a martyr and to love Christ. I also was reminded a lot about forgiveness

There is no nudity or sex. Barely any vulgar language. Just some violence and blood.

I haven't been watching many movies because I don't want to see any agendas or temptations, but this movie was good for the soul I think.

Watched it the other day and it is an absolutely beautiful movie. The whole story is about Catholic priests who are trying to convert the Japanese people. However, the Japanese torture and kill anyone they presume to be Christian.

It has Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, and Liam Neeson as the main actors. They all do a great job.

It is a brutal movie, but one with an amazing message. It really shows what it means to be a martyr and to love Christ. I also was reminded a lot about forgiveness

There is no nudity or sex. Barely any vulgar language. Just some violence and blood.

I haven't been watching many movies because I don't want to see any agendas or temptations, but this movie was good for the soul I think.
I look forward to watching.

It’s always good to see positive depictions of Catholicism amidst the rampant anti-Catholic propaganda everywhere.

Great but painful reminder of how the Catholic Church spread the word of Christ around the entire globe. How would things be different today had they not been such a positive force historically? To be in the dark without their immense literary, philosophical & educational influences sounds bad to me.

But it's not positive at all. Scorsese works for the enemy.
His previous "Christian" movie was overtly blasphemus. Since then he has mastered the art of covert blasphemy and he put it into practice in "Silence".
I feel like the only one who was truly blasphemous was Liam Neeson's character. Don't want to give too much away, but we do know Japan was converted eventually and the ending was good. Andrew Garfield's character showed what forgiveness and fortitude means, but also how he is still fallible as a human.

I do see where you are coming from though, I admit I did have an overly optimistic perspective the whole time because I thought I finally found a good movie. Whether or not the main characters were good in the end, the Japanese people that were martyred were motivational.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
If you are a child or in some way retarded perhaps. Or maybe live a very sheltered and safe life. There is a world of difference between watching a violent act in a movie and witnessing it in real life. As anyone who has witnessed anything violent in real life will tell you.