The Movie Thread

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
I’m shocked that Hollywood would produce the new Dune movie, which appeared to be about a white teenager with no previous leadership experience who - upon encountering a planet full of brown people - was already so much more competent than them that he immediately became their leader. Who knew that kind of white supremacy was still allowed in film??

In all seriousness though, the new Dune had zero pugs and the last one had at least one (possibly two). To me that makes the old Dune the winner.

Well Id say casting a lead actor who projects a persona closer to a brooding teenage lesbian than a man is why they got away with it

timothee-chalamet-next-generation-leaders-2021.jpg

JoeChill

Sparrow
I really liked the 2008 documentary Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, which described how proponents of Intelligent Design are unfairly maligned by the media. I also liked The Radicals (1989? or 1990?), a movie about the beginnings of the Anabaptist movement. I'm not Anabaptist, but I still found the movie engaging (even though it was a staunchly pro-Anabaptist movie).

Maddox

Woodpecker
My issue with Saving Private Ryan is that they go out of their way to demonize the German troops. Collative Learning did a really good breakdown of the film, but his general points are that:

- The Germans are shown to be cowardly
- When killed they don't suffer like Americans
- They take kindness shown to them and repay it with evil

It was a really detailed and informative video.

Collative Learning's Analysis

I have the same issues with the film. Although honestly, most American film directors treat German troops the same way Spielberg does in SPR. They are all labeled as Nazis (which is grossly incorrect) and shown as being inhumane. I did though appreciate the way Spielberg handled the killing of the Jewish soldier, Mellish. The German soldier was actually shown as being human as he eased him into his death. You could also argue that the German MG gunner, Steam Boat Willy, was also portrayed as being human when he showed that he didn't want to be there and liked America.

Collative Learning makes good points about Spielberg manipulating the audience into viewing Germans as cold-blooded killers along with filming their deaths differently than the Americans. I also agree with him that the scene with Upham was the stupidest scene of the movie. It was both unrealistic and made no sense.

There are other scenes that push the boundaries of realism; like the scene where the Allies accidentally knock down the dividing wall inside a house where the Germans just happened to be on the other side. Surely, they would've heard each other beforehand. And how come the Germans didn't manage to shoot any Allies when they were forced into a shootout? There's also the impossible shot taken by that sniper that goes through the other guy's gunsight. But again, most movies these days feature unrealistic war scenes because directors keep trying to outdo each other as if it's a pissing contest.

SPR is still very fun to watch and has a lot of replayability.

Cleotis

Pigeon
My issue with Saving Private Ryan is that they go out of their way to demonize the German troops. Collative Learning did a really good breakdown of the film, but his general points are that:

- The Germans are shown to be cowardly
- When killed they don't suffer like Americans
- They take kindness shown to them and repay it with evil

It was a really detailed and informative video.

Collative Learning's Analysis
You don’t say…I wonder (((why)))?

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I recently watched the HBO crime / detective series "Mare of Easttown" as it was reviewed highly and I still give HBO a chance, as there was a time when everything HBO produced was gold, and surely there are still a few of those talented people still working there.

It's a very average "true crime" type of series, but the part that really confused me was the writing. It's so obviously written by millennial feminists--only it's not.

It's the story of a mopey single mom strong brave woman police detective who has one lesbian child in an interracial relationship and another who committed suicide, she gets briefly suspended from the force (but never punished) for committing a felony, gets her partner killed by her out of control behavior. Falsely accuses her ex husband of weird sex stuff. Plays 2 guys at the same time. Curses a lot. She basically just goes through life leaving carnage everywhere she goes, but manages to make herself simultaneously the victim and the hero. Lol, ok. The plot could have been ripped from any number of old ROK articles.

At the end my thought was wow, what an utterly feminist and Jewish narrative. So I looked up the writing, to confirm my biases....Huh? Written by a man. So I looked up his early life. A Catholic male writer. Brad Inglesby What The Heck?

There's a bunch of weird and whiny parts, a fair bit of crying, a black police chief in a rural town, a bunch of people behaving weirdly and irrationally, some ultra-feminist bizarre rape fantasy stuff (a guy who kidnaps girls and keeps them in a room for a year), it's just full of extreme feminist tropes. If this is the kind of stories straight white Christian men are now penning, then that is perhaps the most disturbing lesson of this whole series.

I mean how does one explain that? Is he using his name for the credit but having feminist lesbians write the actual script? Is this actually the result of a straight white Christian male's thought process? Is it actually some hidden redpill narrative? I don't know, but it certainly confused me.

It's also confusing that she is a public official / authority figure but she never wears a uniform. It took me most of the series to realize all the townfolk are calling her by her first name "Hey Mare" when I thought they are all calling her "Mayor". I mean who knows their local detective? And calls him/her by first name? Whatever.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
The new Dune did a much better job of introducing the universe and the characters to people who never read the book compared to the 1984 version. My friend couldn't help compare the voice with the force...no shit Sherlock where do you think George Lucas came up with the idea ?
They didn't show the navigators this time around so the trip to Arrakis is very flat in the new movie.
The special effects are top notch but the action scenes are short, you can skip the IMAX screening. My problem is with the acting, besides Duncan there are no likeable characters. Paul has the same dumb expression throughout, same for his mother. Once everything goes to shit there is barely any emotion shown on their faces, no real drama. It also suffers from too many flashbacks, some of that could've been left on the cutting room floor. I'd rate it a 7/10.

Bizet

Woodpecker
I watched the new Bond film today. I wasn't a fan of the black female 007 - nothing to do with the fact that she was black or a woman, I just didn't like the way they shoved her character down our throats. There's no back story to her, no character development, no reason to care about her. She's literally just there because she's a black chick.

Apart from that, I thought the film was excellent.

(Spoiler alert)

I really enjoyed watching Bond as a dad. His transformation - from being a bit of a playboy in the earlier films, to becoming a loving father - was quite the character arch. I see my own life heading in a similar direction. The ending had me tearing up as well. Watching him sacrifice himself, almost like Christ, was very powerful and moving.

I also enjoyed Ana De Armas' little appearance. Her and Craig were great in Knives Out, and it was nice to see them together again.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Robin
I recently watched the HBO crime / detective series "Mare of Easttown" as it was reviewed highly and I still give HBO a chance, as there was a time when everything HBO produced was gold, and surely there are still a few of those talented people still working there.

It's a very average "true crime" type of series, but the part that really confused me was the writing. It's so obviously written by millennial feminists--only it's not.

It's the story of a mopey single mom strong brave woman police detective who has one lesbian child in an interracial relationship and another who committed suicide, she gets briefly suspended from the force (but never punished) for committing a felony, gets her partner killed by her out of control behavior. Falsely accuses her ex husband of weird sex stuff. Plays 2 guys at the same time. Curses a lot. She basically just goes through life leaving carnage everywhere she goes, but manages to make herself simultaneously the victim and the hero. Lol, ok. The plot could have been ripped from any number of old ROK articles.

At the end my thought was wow, what an utterly feminist and Jewish narrative. So I looked up the writing, to confirm my biases....Huh? Written by a man. So I looked up his early life. A Catholic male writer. Brad Inglesby What The Heck?

There's a bunch of weird and whiny parts, a fair bit of crying, a black police chief in a rural town, a bunch of people behaving weirdly and irrationally, some ultra-feminist bizarre rape fantasy stuff (a guy who kidnaps girls and keeps them in a room for a year), it's just full of extreme feminist tropes. If this is the kind of stories straight white Christian men are now penning, then that is perhaps the most disturbing lesson of this whole series.

I mean how does one explain that? Is he using his name for the credit but having feminist lesbians write the actual script? Is this actually the result of a straight white Christian male's thought process? Is it actually some hidden redpill narrative? I don't know, but it certainly confused me.

It's also confusing that she is a public official / authority figure but she never wears a uniform. It took me most of the series to realize all the townfolk are calling her by her first name "Hey Mare" when I thought they are all calling her "Mayor". I mean who knows their local detective? And calls him/her by first name? Whatever.

They call her Mare not because she's only the local detective, but because she's known as being the local female basketball hero that lead them to the championship. That was an obvious part of the story you seem to have missed.

I watched two of the worst movies ever made this week, “Alien vs Predator: Requiem” and “Battlefield Earth.” The latter was almost impossibly bad, even though the basic story could have been cool.

Haven't seen either of them thankfully but enjoyed Robert Rodriguez "Predators", for the most part.

Maddox

Woodpecker
Mads is great. If you want another really enjoyable Mads film check out Another Round. He's superb in this one.

Saw this last night and thought it was a really good little film. It's Indie flicks like this that I treasure because they make you use your brain...and you come away with a new perspective on life.

BTW...Mads is apparently going to be in the new Indiana Jones movie.

Kiwi

Robin
Saw this last night and thought it was a really good little film. It's Indie flicks like this that I treasure because they make you use your brain...and you come away with a new perspective on life.

BTW...Mads is apparently going to be in the new Indiana Jones movie.

I find many of these films from that part of the world get under your skin in a way many others don't. Speaking of foreign films that make you think, the best one i've seen in a long time, A Hidden Life. Check it out if you haven't already. A moving true story with breathtaking cinematography.

I watched two of the worst movies ever made this week, “Alien vs Predator: Requiem” and “Battlefield Earth.” The latter was almost impossibly bad, even though the basic story could have been cool.
Battlefield Earth was a scientology project, courtesy of John Travolta, one of their kind. However far-fetched their theories are on man's alleged genesis, I do agree with them that psychiatry is evil. It would have been interesting if the film was given proper funding. Most huge sci-fi projects that fail are always due to underfunding or misappropriation of funds (for better script-writing perhaps). Another huge sci-fi project that was wracked with this was Waterworld, where there is also heretical doctrine in the script (not just people talking about evolution but a full-blown plot where the main character is the result of hundreds of years of humans living on the water), but the cinematography and sets were and still are amazing if one sees how they production department made them.

Dune from 1984 got a lot of flack but this was due to the editing I believe. It is best watched with the extended edition or alternative edition redux (fan-reconstructed) check it out here:

Watch the extended edition intro, which for some reason was not included in the fan redux (which has more scenes than the extended edition lol)

Last edited:

hedonist

Kingfisher
If you haven't seen 2011's DRIVE.... what are you doing with your life?

BA0B34C8D994023B5F0E179B70CEB9EF2ED93C9E
*warning* for anyone that hasn't seen it DON'T watch the trailer.
If you can find it watch the screener version, this was the version I saw first and think its better.
Its on most torrent sites (search drive screener or drive scr).
Better music and better dialog ( :laughter:) including one of the best lines of all time "......................*long autistic pause*...................................he's gone".
There are some good break downs of the scorpion and the frog on YT.

Saw Finch last night, Tom Hanks gets hate but enjoyed it.

On a Jay Dyer symbology note I saw Lamb and instantly got Midsommar vibes. Looks like someone else caught on.
Film didn't really seem hit whatever point it was trying for.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
BA0B34C8D994023B5F0E179B70CEB9EF2ED93C9E

*warning* for anyone that hasn't seen it DON'T watch the trailer.
If you can find it watch the screener version, this was the version I saw first and think its better.
Its on most torrent sites (search drive screener or drive scr).
Better music and better dialog ( :laughter:) including one of the best lines of all time "......................*long autistic pause*...................................he's gone".
There are some good break downs of the scorpion and the frog on YT.
This is why I shared a photo and not a trailer :)