The Movie Thread

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
View attachment 35324

Really enjoyed this movie.
Just watched this tonight. I liked the first half but they made the antagonist Moorwen creature far more sympathetic, audience-character wise, than Caviezel. I was rooting for the alien since the protagonist was actually the villain, which the movie went out of its way to point out but then moved on as if they hadn’t done that. Weird writing.

Hypno

Crow
You might prefer Heat, but it's because Heat is more Rock n Roll. But once again, Heat is just the story of an overexcited cop against classic brutish bank robbers, people you wouldn't like in real life.

I think you are missing a lot of what makes Heat great.

The main thing is the juxtaposition of the two main characters and the conflicts in their lives. Both are middle aged, have hit dead ends in their lives - DeNiro almost getting caught and losing his career and Pacino the loss of his wife to a new man and the loss of his daughter to maturity. They both try to grasp at what is in front of them - DeNiro one last score and a young girlfriend, Pacino one last bust. The DeNiro story line is more interesting because of the distractions he faces in reaching his goal - namely Waynegro. The Kilmer / Judd story line is an interesting comparison, albeit mirror image of DeNiro's.

The other thing that people like about the film is its realism. Yeah, some of the stunts are over the top but other aspects seem down right real - credit director Michael Mann - and several real life bad guys in the U.S. and abroad have tried to copy the robbery scenes (the final robbery, not the cement mixer).

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Just watched this tonight. I liked the first half but they made the antagonist Moorwen creature far more sympathetic, audience-character wise, than Caviezel. I was rooting for the alien since the protagonist was actually the villain, which the movie went out of its way to point out but then moved on as if they hadn’t done that. Weird writing.
Interesting perception. I didnt feel the protagonist was the villain, and the creature didnt appear sympathetic to me, especially considering it killed main character's family back on his planet.

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
20211205_060412.jpg

Found this film to be very entertaining. Remember years ago I was in a movie theater and they started showing trailer for this movie, the audience got very quiet and engaged, but in the end when the movie title appeared, they burst out laughing. Original title was, if Im not mistaken "Cowboys vs. Aliens".

Two of my favorite genres combined - Western and Sci-Fi.

Truth

Pigeon
Agnostic
Really? I found it to be your regular leftist, anti-white peace of trash. Couldnt stomach more than 40 minutes before discontinuing watching it. Utter garbage in my opinion.
Although I'm sure I don't share the political views of Truewhitenorth, his assessment of this film has some merit. What I found most troubling was a number of clunkily inserted propaganda rants, including one about a national DNA database. Definitely some inception/programming tactics going on there. Maybe they do that with a lot of the keynote releases (I think this was big at the Oscars that year wasn't it?). Also required some massive suspension of disbelief on many occasions, particularly the idea that the deputy Sherrif can throw a guy through a glass window in broad daylight and the only repercussion he faces is loosing his job (I mean, it might happen in some towns, but not this one).

That being said, I enjoyed the movie, plot is engaging, characters are good and dialogue is largely well written and witty. Same writer as In Bruges- now that, is a good movie.

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Although I'm sure I don't share the political views of Truewhitenorth, his assessment of this film has some merit. What I found most troubling was a number of clunkily inserted propaganda rants, including one about a national DNA database. Definitely some inception/programming tactics going on there. Maybe they do that with a lot of the keynote releases (I think this was big at the Oscars that year wasn't it?). Also required some massive suspension of disbelief on many occasions, particularly the idea that the deputy Sherrif can throw a guy through a glass window in broad daylight and the only repercussion he faces is loosing his job (I mean, it might happen in some towns, but not this one).

That being said, I enjoyed the movie, plot is engaging, characters are good and dialogue is largely well written and witty. Same writer as In Bruges- now that, is a good movie.
Jesus Christ is my political views.

Maddox

Kingfisher
Protestant
The other thing that people like about the film is its realism. Yeah, some of the stunts are over the top but other aspects seem down right real - credit director Michael Mann - and several real life bad guys in the U.S. and abroad have tried to copy the robbery scenes (the final robbery, not the cement mixer).

I watched a little bit of LA Takedown which it was based off. Had no idea that Heat was a remake, but geez...what a difference in filmmaking. The fact that Mann had access to some of the best actors in the industry surely helps, but the scenes are so well shot, it makes LA takedown look like a cheap, TV movie of the week in comparison.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Interesting perception. I didnt feel the protagonist was the villain, and the creature didnt appear sympathetic to me, especially considering it killed main character's family back on his planet.
*Spoiler Alert*

Yeah, because Caviezel nuked his entire species and destroyed his planet. He just wanted to secure the existence of his people and a future for Moorwen children.

renotime

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
As I think I wrote earlier on the thread, I used to like Heat, but viewing it again recently, I noticed that the characters were, as you yourself said, too sociopathic to enjoy even on the big screen.

And what you quoted is, exactly, the thing that bothered me. They finish off the money guards, "because why leave a living witness"?

But a living witness of what? They all wear masks and no distinctive feature.

Leaving witnesses that an assault has taken place? Sure, but that point is not in doubt, an assault has taken place, many people around have seen it.

So why finish off the guards, who have not a single identifiable data on them? It makes no sense. De Niro and Pacino should know it makes no sense.

Now, The way of the gun. You're a bit mistaken, as one of the dudes, not Del Toro but the other one, is swayed by the touching pregnant woman, and takes pity on her in the hotel room. Well, funnily enough the broad then tries to fill him with lead, but anyway...

I maintain that it's a great movie as its action scenes, notably against the 2 bodyguards, near the rolling car, are excellent.

Also, I have nothing against people getting killed in movies, providing they are evil people and the scenes are reasonably believable. For instance I enjoyed the Mikkelsen version of the Korean corridor fight shown above in the thread, in Polar. Now that was Rock and Roll, and yes, (bad) people got shot. Even better, all the people shot were evil torturers, and Mikkelsen shoots them as should be done, with one hand. I am fed up with all the Hollywood movies showing people shooting automatic .9mm guns with two hands. Who needs 2 hands to handle a 9mm to shoot an enemy standing within 8 yards? Mikkelsen does it right, he shoots the whole lot just with one arm, no "FBI stance". Like the girl in the Korean movie on Jeju Island.

And yes, Michael Mann's filming techniques, are very professional and good, I don't deny it.

Anyway, I like action, gunfight movies, where the good guys win by keeping their cool under fire, shooting just once or twice, like say, John Wick or Gabin in The Pasha. Just one shot calmly fired is enough, against crazy enemy shooters. If you know of other movies like that, do list them :)

I didn't say he was too sociopathic to enjoy on the big screen. You're putting words in my mouth. I like DeNiro's character in the movie. The guy is a stone cold professional who is very good at what he does.

And the heist just went from assault to murder. One guard goes for an ankle gun so obviously he's going to die. DeNiro being the professional that he is doesn't want any loose ends. Seems pretty simple to me and I find your gripe pretty silly.

In the Way of the Gun the two dudes kidnap a pregnant woman and hold her for ransom. They aren't honorable characters, in fact they commit terrible acts of violence. I find it odd that you love that movie with all the scumbag on scumbag violence, but take umbrage with the opening heist in Heat. And If you think Way of the Gun is a great movie you really need to watch a Sam Peckinpah movie or two.

I think John Wick killed about 100 dudes in the movie, a fun movie, but definitely not realistic or reasonable.

Going strong

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I didn't say he was too sociopathic to enjoy on the big screen. You're putting words in my mouth. I like DeNiro's character in the movie. The guy is a stone cold professional who is very good at what he does.

And the heist just went from assault to murder. One guard goes for an ankle gun so obviously he's going to die. DeNiro being the professional that he is doesn't want any loose ends. Seems pretty simple to me and I find your gripe pretty silly.

What loose end are you talking about, precisely? The trembling, surviving guards are standing still, hands up, and represent no threat, and in particular have not seen the faces of any of De Niro's men. They can give zero actionable data to the cops. Street witnesses have seen just as much aa the guards.

And shooting them is a catastrophic decision, as shooting one guard is something, but shooting 3 more will bring 3 times more cops and media pressure on you. De Niro, by shooting dead so many guards, makes himself, necessarily, the top priority target of all police enforcement agencies. All this for no gain.

Now regarding The Way of the Gun, your critics are valid. I'd just say that both killers redeem themselves quite a bit by showing some mercy/compassion to the pregnant chick. But OK, they are bad indeed.

John Wick's action scenes are a bit over the top, yes. But it's my belief that, armed with a good modern automatic gun, a very calm, cold blooded, man, could kill twenty bad enemies in a building by going room to room, like Wick does. One would just need to remain calm, aim and shoot and never get unlucky (thus not catching a stray bullet). Of course the enemies have to carry hand guns, not riot guns or assault rifles. Then it's the calmer man (John Wick) who kills the un-calm ones. Ah, and one has to believe in some level of protection given to Wick by his kevlar-like suit, against un-center shot gun pellets at least. Much respect to Wick in any case, though he often shoots both-handed (but close to his chest, to round corners, so he's forgiven). Don't mess with his dog.

I hope I've given you curiosity to see the corridor escape from Polar, though. Barefoot and one-eyed, but, determined. Calm and determined, that's what I like in movie heroes.

RedLagoon

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
The mistake DeNiro made was hiring Wayngro. It was the start of his downfal (and everyone else). No way he's a sociopath btw, just someone very high iq who grew up without family (remember the scene where he tells the girl he has a brother "somewhere"?). He just sees the armour guys as pawns in a game. They came for the right bonds, why defend crooks?

Pacinos character is a mirror image of Deniros just with a different story. When they meet we have one of the greatest scenes in history.

His crew is his family, look how he dealt with Kilmer and Judd. ...

I haven't even started on Pacino finding his step daughter in the bathtub.

Too much to unreval.

Buy whatever, its an incredible flick that doesn't feel like almost 3 hours.

And @Going strong you have a strange taste in movies, no offense but Polar was total garbage. Mads should ve stuck with the Arctic.

Last edited:

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
I hated 'Taxi Driver' and thought 'Raging Bull' was boring. 'Men of Honor' is a solid movie with a positive message even if it a bit cliché. I like movies that are inspiring and encourage us to work hard to achieve our dreams (as long as the dream is positive of course). Yes, this is true for 'Raging Bull' but Lamotta seemed like a jerk and the story was not told in an interesting way.

I know that most disagree with me judging by IMDB scores for 'Taxi Driver' and 'Raging Bull.'
Fine wine isnt grape juice with alcohol content.

Similarly film as storytelling can have levels of complexity beyond the surface.

TAXI DRIVER and RAGING BULL were both nuanced character studies designed to invoke emotional responses to dark aspects of the human condition and interpersonal relationships within specific contexts: Realistic glimpses into other peoples' not so heroic journeys. They accomplished that very well

Going strong

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member

And @Going strong you have a strange taste in movies, no offense but Polar was total garbage. Mads should have stuck with the Arctic.

I'd say Mikkelsen should have brought his Polar gun to the Artic. Then he'd killed the bear and eaten it and used its fur to provide heat for the Japanese chick, and lived forever happy with her, inside the fallen plane.

All survival movies could similarly have had quick, easy happy endings if the hero would have brought a gun.

Well except the sailing-boat story with Robert Redford, cause he had nothing to shoot at (sad).

Great movie by the way, about strength of will, with an ending similar to Artic and to the Vietnam movie with Christian Bale. All is lost, until...

jonathanjones02

Pigeon
Catholic
Black Sea

- I’m fascinated by Pontus
- submarine, with no Diversity propaganda
- Jude Law, great as usual
- not admirable guys, but gripping story and not degenerate at the end
- unnecessary language, but better than most releases

Recommended.

JustinHS

Robin
Orthodox
When I consider watching a historical movie taking place in Europe, one of the things I do is glancing quickly over the cast on imdb.com. Just looking over actors photos. And If I come across diversity, I do not consider this movie as its clearly a propaganda.

Glad "The Last Duel" seems legit. Might give it a try.
I love historical dramas, so this was on my radar too. Unfortunately, a cursory look at reviews had this pegged as a feminist movie. I hope that’s not the case. Take a look and see if it is, but it seemed to have been marketed that way.

renotime

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
What loose end are you talking about, precisely? The trembling, surviving guards are standing still, hands up, and represent no threat, and in particular have not seen the faces of any of De Niro's men. They can give zero actionable data to the cops. Street witnesses have seen just as much aa the guards.

And shooting them is a catastrophic decision, as shooting one guard is something, but shooting 3 more will bring 3 times more cops and media pressure on you. De Niro, by shooting dead so many guards, makes himself, necessarily, the top priority target of all police enforcement agencies. All this for no gain.

Now regarding The Way of the Gun, your critics are valid. I'd just say that both killers redeem themselves quite a bit by showing some mercy/compassion to the pregnant chick. But OK, they are bad indeed.

John Wick's action scenes are a bit over the top, yes. But it's my belief that, armed with a good modern automatic gun, a very calm, cold blooded, man, could kill twenty bad enemies in a building by going room to room, like Wick does. One would just need to remain calm, aim and shoot and never get unlucky (thus not catching a stray bullet). Of course the enemies have to carry hand guns, not riot guns or assault rifles. Then it's the calmer man (John Wick) who kills the un-calm ones. Ah, and one has to believe in some level of protection given to Wick by his kevlar-like suit, against un-center shot gun pellets at least. Much respect to Wick in any case, though he often shoots both-handed (but close to his chest, to round corners, so he's forgiven). Don't mess with his dog.

I hope I've given you curiosity to see the corridor escape from Polar, though. Barefoot and one-eyed, but, determined. Calm and determined, that's what I like in movie heroes.

As you can see there weren't any street witnesses. First guard got popped because Waingro was insane, second guy pulled his gun, third guy died because he just witnessed a murder, which probably carries a life sentence in California. If he's alive he's able to give a description of height and that one dude was a pyscho with long brown hair. Either way the cops are gonna be hunting them. Remember it was a split decision, they didn't have really any time to give it deep thought. And they gained the bearer bonds. Regardless, I think the scene is riveting and that you are nitpicking, so let's just agree to disagree.

An automatic gun is a machine gun. John Wick was using a semi-auto handgun in most scenes. It's a fun movie, but it's not very realistic. This guy commentating was in Delta Force, basically the world's greatest special operations unit.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
View attachment 35325

Found this film to be very entertaining. Remember years ago I was in a movie theater and they started showing trailer for this movie, the audience got very quiet and engaged, but in the end when the movie title appeared, they burst out laughing. Original title was, if Im not mistaken "Cowboys vs. Aliens".

Two of my favorite genres combined - Western and Sci-Fi.

I remember years back a buddy who I used to go watch Rambo movies and action movies with was telling me that this was a great flick. My impression from my friend is he likes some good old fashioned entertainment like you mentioned. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the reminder.