The Movie Thread

renotime

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
I think the Matrix is a good flick if you're. ... 15. No insult to Viktor but the film is rife with predictive programming and occult symbolism.

It's almost as if they "predicted" the "awakening" (red pill) while there's not one mention of God, let alone Christ. It's actually a very luciferian story where the great awakening brings man to overrule a computer program.

Also the directors who are brothers became sisters.

There's all kinds of Christian symbolism in the movie. It's pretty obvious. They called Neo "The One" for crying out loud.

ed pluribus unum

Ostrich
Protestant
There's all kinds of Christian symbolism in the movie. It's pretty obvious. They called Neo "The One" for crying out loud.
Regardless of your feelings about the movie and what its directors became years after the fact, it is nevertheless a significant and very useful touchstone that most people can relate to in terms of framing things in terms of red pill/blue pill, 'waking up' from being a cog in the machine, and so on.

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I started watching "Little House on the Prarie" series with my wife. What a great surprise.

It probably would be rather boring for the single guys out there. But for Christian couples with kids, it can be very relatable and interesting.

It has a very strong Christian worldview, good morals, exemplary father and mother figures, and there's a lot to learn from the main characters.

Highly recommend.

Hypno

Crow
I started watching "Little House on the Prarie" series with my wife. What a great surprise.

It probably would be rather boring for the single guys out there. But for Christian couples with kids, it can be very relatable and interesting.

It has a very strong Christian worldview, good morals, exemplary father and mother figures, and there's a lot to learn from the main characters.

Highly recommend.

We homeschooled our son and he loved the books.

It is challenging to find anything from Hollywood that is family friendly. We mostly bought DVDs of shows from the 70s and 80s. Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver, The Hardy Boys, later Knight Rider and A Team.

There were a couple of good historical series from National Geographic we came acroos - one was titled something like The Men Who Built America about the robber barons.

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
We homeschooled our son and he loved the books.

It is challenging to find anything from Hollywood that is family friendly. We mostly bought DVDs of shows from the 70s and 80s. Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver, The Hardy Boys, later Knight Rider and A Team.

There were a couple of good historical series from National Geographic we came acroos - one was titled something like The Men Who Built America about the robber barons.
Yes, finding family-friendly movies getting harder and harder.

Im thinking of starting building a digital collection of good films and shows to watch later with my kids when they get older.

Hypno

Crow
even some that have good messages, like Karate Kid, have some scenes you want to be careful about depending on their age. I think the beginning of Karate Kid he ditches his mom and runs off with a girlfriend if I recall correctly.

renotime

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member

Highly recommend.

There is another thread for TV shows.

fortyfive

Kingfisher
Other Christian

Highly recommend.

Actually, for mental well-being, watching conservative movies and series considered by the majority as "little boring" is the best choice.

Occasionally I make mistakes by trying to watch the highest-rated series like Game of thrones or lastly, Squid game, and I'm always amazed for what cheap emotional thrill people are falling. Just take a story from silly soap operas, add a lot of sex and violence, make every character a cruel psychopath, and people will cheer it as the highest piece of art.

Admiring evil is revealing a lot about us, humans.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pendants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain.
-Ursula K. Le Guin

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
even some that have good messages, like Karate Kid, have some scenes you want to be careful about depending on their age. I think the beginning of Karate Kid he ditches his mom and runs off with a girlfriend if I recall correctly.
Are you talking about the movie or TV series? In the movie, he was a bit angry and rebellious in the beginning. However, this is quite realistic. He was in a broken home although his mother worked hard and did her best and tried hard to communicate with him. He moved across the country away from friends and family as a teenager which is probably the hardest time mentally to move. He also was dealing with problems at his new school (although he does deserve some blame for this).

What is important is that with a positive mentor, he became more mature. Also, his date scene was pretty clean and appropriate and the fact she met the mother at the beginning is also positive.

Of course, there are some cases of swearing and minor drug and moderate violence use so maybe better to not show very young kids.

Celibate Warrior21

Sparrow
Other Christian

The Rewrite. This movie is about a Hollywood Screen writer - Hugh Grant.

He's broke so he ends up teaching a class about screen writing in a community college in the North East. The first parts were funny, he ended up having an affair with one of his young students. Which eventually backfired on him later on in the movie. I like his character growth progression in the movie - he was a careless, self absorb dude but eventually went from a guy who started caring about people and their work.

That's one thing you can like about this movie

In the end he also falls for his mature and older student- Marissa Tomei.

Maddox

Kingfisher
Protestant

The Rewrite. This movie is about a Hollywood Screen writer - Hugh Grant.

He's broke so he ends up teaching a class about screen writing in a community college in the North East. The first parts were funny, he ended up having an affair with one of his young students. Which eventually backfired on him later on in the movie. I like his character growth progression in the movie - he was a careless, self absorb dude but eventually went from a guy who started caring about people and their work.

That's one thing you can like about this movie

In the end he also falls for his mature and older student- Marissa Tomei.

Man...you're worse than a movie trailer preview. Guess there's no reason to see the film now.

renotime

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
His Girl Friday. One of Tarantino's favorite films. Cary Grant is a newspaperman trying to get his to help him with a big breaking story. They talk very fast in the movie. I had the subtitles on and it couldn't keep up. There is no longer a copyright on it, so it's free. I thought it was brilliant. I need to see more Howard Hawks movies.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
His Girl Friday. One of Tarantino's favorite films. Cary Grant is a newspaperman trying to get his to help him with a big breaking story. They talk very fast in the movie. I had the subtitles on and it couldn't keep up. There is no longer a copyright on it, so it's free. I thought it was brilliant. I need to see more Howard Hawks movies.

Howard Hawks is a really good director and I agree that His Girl Friday is an excellent film. 'His Girl Friday' is quite realistic in a way and fits the idea that a lot of journalists really are sleazy vultures in a way (John Grisham called them 'vultures' in a book and I agree with the term).

I have seen all 10 of his films on this list and agree that 9 are very good. I was not a fan of 'The Thing from Another World' but many people liked it as well. Hawks can make good crime, western, adventure, and comedy films. I think the 1940's is possibly the best decade for movies in America because movies relied more on strong plots and good character development with clever scripts and not just a bunch of special effects.

renotime

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
Finally saw Dune. I didn't really understand the plot other than some baddies and some goodies and some pragmatic opportunists. I don't think it was intentional but maybe it's a metaphor on war and imperialism.

Either way a movie like this is the reason we need theaters in existence. Pure cinema. Reminded me of Lawrence of Arabia a little bit. No way this has the same effect on your laptop.

Maddox

Kingfisher
Protestant
I saw a good film on Prime last night called The Way Back starring Ed Harris and Colin Farrell. Believe it or not, the Commies are actually the bad guys in this one. It's about a group of men who are prisoners in a Siberian gulag during WWII and decide to escape and try to survive the harsh elements as they make their way to safety to regain their freedom.

Hypno

Crow
Are you talking about the movie or TV series? In the movie, he was a bit angry and rebellious in the beginning. However, this is quite realistic. He was in a broken home although his mother worked hard and did her best and tried hard to communicate with him. He moved across the country away from friends and family as a teenager which is probably the hardest time mentally to move. He also was dealing with problems at his new school (although he does deserve some blame for this).

What is important is that with a positive mentor, he became more mature. Also, his date scene was pretty clean and appropriate and the fact she met the mother at the beginning is also positive.

Of course, there are some cases of swearing and minor drug and moderate violence use so maybe better to not show very young kids.

Yes, this is what I was referring to. Sure, its realisitc, but you might want to re-watch it before you show it to your kid. Really depends on their age and situation. Just noting it because while its a very positive film, I had forgotten about that.