The Movie Thread

LSD

Pigeon
Protestant
Ever since YouTube banned Oliver Stone's documentary ``Ukraine Under Fire'', I've been checking out his entire filmography.
Just watched his 1995 Nixon movie and really liked it.

I always liked Nixon, and I still do not understand what he did wrong. Obama had the NSA spy on the whole world and killed US citizens with drones without trial, how is taping conversations or breaking into a hotel even an issue to care about?
Nixon ended the Vietnam war, got China and Russia to turn on each other and do deals with the US, fought leftists at every turn, created the EPA and did a bunch of civil rights stuff etc yet people hate him.
Apart from the war on drugs he was alright.
Also in his personal life he was a tragic figure, I am currently listening to an audiobook biography of him as well.

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
Ever since YouTube banned Oliver Stone's documentary ``Ukraine Under Fire'', I've been checking out his entire filmography.

I always liked Nixon, and I still do not understand what he did wrong. Obama had the NSA spy on the whole world and killed US citizens with drones without trial, how is taping conversations or breaking into a hotel even an issue to care about?
Nixon ended the Vietnam war, got China and Russia to turn on each other and do deals with the US, fought leftists at every turn, created the EPA and did a bunch of civil rights stuff etc yet people hate him.
Also in his personal life he was a tragic figure, I am currently listening to an audiobook biography of him as well.
He was conservative and the liberals hated him for it. That is what he did wrong. In their opinion being born was his first mistake.

MartyMcFly

Pelican
Other Christian

This would be good for a new thread relating to 'best and worst presidents.' Someone made a ranking of presidents based on libertarian values and some beloved heroes like Abraham Lincoln, Obama, Reagan, and FDR did poorly. Nixon also did poorly. Two wrongs don't make a right in many cases and just because Obama was worse than Nixon doesn't excuse Nixon.

I am curious if the Nixon movie was done fairly or was it biased (biased good OR bad)? Nixon took his sweet time ending the war just as Obama did with Iraq. A lot of men died on both sides while Nixon was taking several years to end the war.

There also needs to be a non-biased movie about Obama but likely it would need to be made by a foreigner or a small independent studio. Most Americans are scared to mention anything very negative about Obama for fear of being branded racist even when the issues are not race related at all (this is despite the fact Obama is half-white which most people forget). A movie that dares to be honest about Obama's faults will never get funding from a studio.

Here is the ranking. There is much to dislike about Nixon:

BerkhofBerghof

Pigeon
Protestant
He was conservative and the liberals hated him for it. That is what he did wrong. In their opinion being born was his first mistake.
He engaged in criminal behaviour, but compared to what other presidents did, for example Lincoln, Obama, Kennedy, Bush, it was nothing. There is a funny recording of him saying that Roman emperors and Aristotle were gay. It's true and the way he says it, is hilarious. For a politician he had a good moral compass. Oliver Stone does not portray him too unfair, given it is a Hollywood movie.

Tom Slick

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I've never seen Sideways, but I found The Descendants to be fairly overrated.
Descendants was quite payne-ful to watch. A real disappointment after Sideways, especially after waiting seven years.

His next film Nebraska (2013) was very boring and dull. Completely unremarkable, but for the wife of one of my friends, it is somehow her favorite movie of all time, showing that there are always people who can have insight to a film that others are not aware of.

His most recent movie, Downsizing (2017), was okay, but now that I think about it, I believe I can see a theme running through all these films, as well as About Schmidt (2002), and Sideways was the only winner among them. His first feature film, Election (1999) is also good, and I think is outside of the umbrella of demoralization cinema that I wrote about earlier.

My theory is that Payne is a talented writer and film director, who was recognized after making Election (1999), which was an amusing, but very demoralizing film, where the main character's life is completely wrecked: his childless marriage was ended and he then moved into a tiny apartment, where he pretty much owned nothing, but was happy. Sound familiar for globohomo social themes?

1651423139623.png

Sideways proves that Payne is a world-class talent, where he took a very negative story and made it entertaining, appealing, and somehow also made it inspiring in certain ways, although it is also demoralizing in many aspects. Based on my theory that pop culture in the West, including cinema, has been purposefully demoralizing since the early 60's, the film projects available to Payne that can get approved have to be in line with globohomo demoralizing themes, which is extremely limiting to any talented creator/writer/director, and this is why Payne's films: About Schmidt, Descendants, Nebraska, and Downsizing are basically no fun to watch.

Last edited:

Maddox

Woodpecker
Protestant
Descendants was quite payne-ful to watch. A real disappointment after Sideways, especially after waiting seven years.

Sideways proves that Payne is a world-class talent, where he took a very negative story and made it entertaining, appealing, and somehow also made it inspiring in certain ways, although it is also demoralizing in many aspects. Based on my theory that pop culture in the West, including cinema, has been purposefully demoralizing since the early 60's, the film projects available to Payne that can get approved have to be in line with globohomo demoralizing themes, which is extremely limiting to any talented creator/writer/director, and this is why Payne's films: About Schmidt, Descendants, Nebraska, and Downsizing are basically no fun to watch.

I actually liked The Descendants. Obviously, it's not on the same level as Sideways, but it had a good story and the Hawaiian backdrop seemed to make it more interesting for me.

BerkhofBerghof

Pigeon
Protestant
The scene where the protag runs into the house during the gunfight. His wife turns around and shoots him thinking he is one of the men trying to kill her. And then for some reason shows no emotion upon doing so. That didn't make sense to me.
She is not his wife, she is his Scotland sweetheart and he is such a romantic dummy that he travels to America where she and her father had fled to because her dad accidentally killed that kid's father. I find the scene realistic, because she is a dumb woman and in such a situation you can't expect her to keep a cool head and she only realizes who she shot minutes later. I find it very unfair that she survives.

BerkhofBerghof

Pigeon
Protestant
Today I watched two white crime movies, if you can say so. Arkansas with Liam Hemsworth and Inherit the Viper with Josh Hartnett. I liked both. Both movies with a great cast. Arkansas has John Malkovich and Vince Vaughn in it. There are more recent movies without social justice nonsense than you might think.

Tom Slick

Kingfisher
Orthodox
If you like Nic Cage and are looking for something light-hearted and amusing, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is not bad. Watched it today and I think I had the correct expectation, so I enjoyed it.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
I've never seen Sideways, but I found The Descendants to be fairly overrated.
I agree. There was something oddly uneven about THE DESCENDANTS. Its been a while so I dont remember the specifics and dont care to see it again but do remember it being off putting somehow

renotime

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
I agree. There was something oddly uneven about THE DESCENDANTS. Its been a while so I dont remember the specifics and dont care to see it again but do remember it being off putting somehow

I didn't find it off putting or uneven, just incredibly mild. There wasn't anything particularly interesting or enticing about it. It's not bad, it's just fairly underwhelming.

About Schmidt pretty much hit me the same way, except for Nicholson's performance, of course.

Alexander Payne just doesn't really do it for me as a director.

EuropeanCanon

Woodpecker
Trad Catholic

“Diary of a Country Priest”

I adore this movie. It’s about a young priest assigned to a poor village in France. Right off the bat he’s established as the underdog as he’s inexperienced, physically unwell, and disrespected by the local townspeople who spread rumors about him.

The priest suffers throughout the film with spiritual desolation and dryness but he never once gives up on trying to lead the townsfolk to salvation.

The actor who plays the priest had no prior acting experience and I think that plays to the film’s strength as he seems unsure of himself and out of his depth.

It’s not the easiest film to get ahold of but it’s well worth purchasing a physical copy.

I’ll leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the film:

“If your God were the god of the pagans or philosophers, though he might take refuge in the highest heavens, our misery would drag him down. But as you know ours did not wait. You might shake your fist at Him, spit in His face, whip Him with rods, and finally nail Him to a cross. What would it matter? It is already done."
Yes, I saw this recently. I don't remember the quote verbatim but I liked the bit where the old priest tells the younger one that he is hated not because of anything he has done but because of what he is.

Denam8487

Robin
Catholic
Yes, I saw this recently. I don't remember the quote verbatim but I liked the bit where the old priest tells the younger one that he is hated not because of anything he has done but because of what he is.

From the book, the exchange goes like this:

"But what have I done? What have they got against me?"

"Bearing what you are, there is no help for it. You see, my dear child, these people don't hate you for being simple, they're on their guard against it, that's all. You simplicity is a kind of flame which scorches them."

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
Heres one I highly recommend

WIN WIN (2011)

images

Its a small character driven story with a great cast lead by Paul Giamatti. Movie is really well executed : funny, a bit sad and ultimately uplifting. Giamatti is great as always but to me Bobby Canavale and Jeffrey Tambor are terrific and steal the movie

john_Jea

Sparrow
Other Christian
I just watched the Batman and it sucked, probably why every one in this thread said not to watch it. I didn't even finish it I was that disinvested in it.

fringe weirdos online = bad (tbh it felt a bit like Riddler and his followers is how the media would like to present a forum like this one)
pure hearted virtuous people (who are black) = good
Good Batman trying his best to do good and save people amongst evil world = good
and that's kind of it. It just wasn't very interesting in light of the state of the world today.
I noticed that to and I think you're being way to generous. It was just straight up "internet incels bad and dangerous" propaganda.

Also black Jim Gordon was just Mac from sunny doing Murtaugh in blackface, and that's genially not a joke the whole character and acting where the same, felt like satire.

EuropeanCanon

Woodpecker
Trad Catholic
I just watched the Batman and it sucked, probably why every one in this thread said not to watch it. I didn't even finish it I was that disinvested in it.

I noticed that to and I think you're being way to generous. It was just straight up "internet incels bad and dangerous" propaganda.

Also black Jim Gordon was just Mac from sunny doing Murtaugh in blackface, and that's genially not a joke the whole character and acting where the same, felt like satire.
My 13 year old son wanted to see this but when it was at the movies we were not allowed to go as no vaccine passport LOL Now I am hoping he just forgets about it

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox

All the writer had to include was ONE line explaining why cat woman owned a leather cat suit for no reason. But no, that would be work and effort.