The new cold war with China

I'd seriously consider leaving China if I lived there as a foreigner, especially from an English speaking country. Things might be about to get much hotter than they already are.
A good point! China has no problem seriously harassing Americans at random when they want to push back at American sanctions and criticism. And if a shooting war ever erupted, I could imagine Americans being thrown into prison and labor camps!

Troller

Woodpecker
Rumour is the closing of the chinese consulate is related to rioters.

China will retaliate by closing US consulate in Wuhan:

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Rumour is the closing of the chinese consulate is related to rioters.

China will retaliate by closing US consulate in Wuhan:

The Chinese Embassy in Houston is supposedly a "spy center" operation.

Chinese Consulate In Houston Was ‘Massive Spy Center,’ FBI Probes Chinese Army Suspects In 25+ Cities

Top U.S. officials said in the hours following the revelation that the United States ordered the Chinese General Consulate in Houston to close that the move was carried out because the facility was a “massive spy center” that was stealing information from Americans and running influence operations in the U.S.

“The United States will not tolerate the PRC’s (People Republic of China) violations of our sovereignty and intimidation of our people, just as we have not tolerated the PRC’s unfair trade practices, theft of American jobs, and other egregious behavior,” the State Department said in a statement Tuesday. “We have directed the closure of PRC Consulate General Houston, in order to protect American intellectual property and American’s [sic] private information.”

The State Department said Wednesday that China had been engaging “for years in massive illegal spying and influence operations throughout the United States against U.S. government officials and American citizens.”

Assistant Secretary of State David Stilwell said the move to close the facility was “long overdue” and that the alleged criminal activity that the Chinese were committing at the facility had accelerated since the coronavirus pandemic, which originated in China.

Videos surfaced this week that showed Chinese officials burning classified documents after receiving notice that they were being forced out of the country.

“China’s Houston consulate is a massive spy center, forcing it to close is long overdue,” Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) said in a tweet, later adding: “China’s consulate in Houston is not a diplomatic facility. It is the central node of the Communist Party’s vast network of spies & influence operations in the United States. Now that building must close & the spies have 72 hours to leave or face arrest. This needed to happen.”

The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that the FBI has interviewed suspected members of the People’s Liberation Army in more than 25 cities:

FBI agents have interviewed Chinese researchers suspected of being undeclared members of the People’s Liberation Army in more than 25 cities, according to some U.S. officials. In some instances, staff at Chinese consulates helped instruct some researchers on security, reminding them to delete information from their electronic devices, the officials said.

Stilwell said that one of the events that triggered the closure of the facility was a Chinese official working with a Chinese state-owned airline to “put unidentified passengers on a charter flight meant for Chinese students departing Houston amid the coronavirus travel restrictions,” The Journal added.

The Chinese Communist Party is “pursuing a campaign of intellectual property theft, economic espionage, cyber intrusions that target businesses — big and small — all across the country and our academic research institutions,” FBI Director Chris Wray said last month. “And it’s everything from Fortune 100 companies to startups. It’s agriculture. It’s high tech. It’s aviation. It’s health care. As I said before, it’s our academic research institutions.”

“There’s no country that presents a broader, more comprehensive threat to America’s innovation, to economic security, and to our democratic ideas than China does,” Wray told Fox News. “Just to give you some context for that. Just as we’re sitting here having this conversation, the FBI has over 2,000 active investigations that trace back to the government of China.”

“The FBI is opening a new counterintelligence investigation that ties back to China every 10 hours,” Wray added. “So you put some of those things – and that’s sort of just the tip of the iceberg.”

Edit. Chinese official is triggered.

Peacock
Gold Member
Creating that kind of diplomatic brouhaha over one graduate student is a bit excessive. What's really the cause for this recent escalation is that China has just crossed a red line and angered the neocons by signing a huge partnership deal with Iran earlier this week:

According to the leaked document, China will invest $280 billion in Iran's oil and gas industry and $120 billion in production and transportation infrastructure. China will also develop 5G infrastructure in Iran and invest in banking, telecommunications, ports, railways and dozens of other sectors.

Creating that kind of diplomatic brouhaha over one graduate student is a bit excessive. What's really the cause for this recent escalation is that China has just crossed a red line and angered the neocons by signing a huge partnership deal with Iran earlier this week:

Iran's approach to their navy is fascinating. Western sanctions against them buying foreign military technology, caused the Iranians to develop their R&D and ship-building muscle. They now construct their own fairly advanced diesel attack submarines, corvettes, frigates, drones and a variety of high speed torpedo boats. They realized they could not match the scale and size of the U.S. Navy, and so they built a moderately credible deterrent force, with a combination of quantity and quality. I'm sure China will help them in their efforts to further upgrade their military.

In a serious scuffle with a large U.S. Navy force, they would get mauled or destroyed, but they could definitely inflict some losses to their opponent. When our big warships show up, they like to surround them with a swarm of small fast boats, that however fragile, can still launch torpedoes, when in range.

There is the regular Iranian Navy, and then there is the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Navy, which is mainly composed of lots of small but very fast torpedo boats. They enjoy actively confronting the U.S. Navy, and buzzing around them like angry bees.

Last edited:
Pompeo Calls on Chinese People to Stand up and Fight Against the CCP

pom.jpg

"On July 23, at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in California, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo implored democracies to work together to defend against expansive threats posed by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), calling it a choice between “freedom and tyranny” in his speech on communist China. Pompeo said that in the more than four decades since the United States normalized relations with the CCP, China has not liberalized as many had hoped. People and countries “have to tell the truth” about the CCP: “President Nixon once said he feared he had created a Frankenstein by opening the world to the CCP. And here we are. We can’t treat this incarnation of China as a normal country just like any other.”

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
> Both the US and China have severe internal problems.
> Both have economic issues and the virus.
> Each one is blaming its internal strife on the other.
> Closing consulates
> Military exercises
> Using proxies to hit each other

Theres two ways this can go. Either both sides stick to the script of keeping their populations distracted from the circus show around them or it can go hot by design.

Both the US government and CCP are willing to throw people into the meat grinder and neither can be seen to back down.

Stats

Robin
Just watched ip man 4 which is trending on netflix. Huge kill whitey vibe. In the dub and english captions they actually say 'whitey' and 'the whites'. Almost every white character is massive bigot. also seems the black secondary characters are portrayed as happy idiots allied with the Chinese

DanielH

Robin
My alma mater had a chinese exchange program and it really baffled me how so many of my classmates signed up to be potential hostages should we ever go to war with China.

China is wearing down the Japanese airforce by making them intercept Chinese fighters over its air space. This quote stood out to me - The in-service life of Japan's F-15J fleet is now almost a decision that lies with China," Layton said.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
My alma mater had a chinese exchange program and it really baffled me how so many of my classmates signed up to be potential hostages should we ever go to war with China.
Until the last 6 months or so it a war with China was clearly visible on the horizon at some nebulous point in the future but very unlikely to happen in the 6 months or a year those students would be there. China is a cool country, I've studied the language, traveled there several times (most recently about 2 years ago) and visited about 6-8 major cities as well as rural areas in Yunnan, I actually really like the people and am fascinated with the culture. I don't want to say I wouldn't travel there now, but I wouldn't do it casually on vacation as I have in the past--it would take a very good reason and I certainly wouldn't bring my family. I'd even be cautious about visiting Hong Kong, which sucks as it's one of my favorite cities in the world. Taiwan is cool.

DanielH

Robin
Until the last 6 months or so it a war with China was clearly visible on the horizon at some nebulous point in the future but very unlikely to happen in the 6 months or a year those students would be there.
We're all very fortunate our rulers didn't decide to pull a 9/11 or Gulf of Tonkin or USS Maine or Marco Polo Bridge Incident or Shelling of Mainila or Lusitania type false flag while those students or you were there.

La Águila Negra

Kingfisher
We're all very fortunate our rulers didn't decide to pull a 9/11 or Gulf of Tonkin or USS Maine or Marco Polo Bridge Incident or Shelling of Mainila or Lusitania type false flag while those students or you were there.
You mean a 2013 Damascus chemical attack, a 1988 Lockerbie bombing, or a fabricated warmongering propaganda campaign based on made up stories of Iraqi soldiers killing Kuwaiti kids in incubators, purposely mistranslated audio transcripts of Gaddafi wanting to genocide Benghazi, presumed WMD in Iraq or pro Russian snipers killing Maidan protestors

It would indeed be a bloody shame if an American embassy somewhere on this planet gets bombed and in the get-away car they find CCP membership cards conveniently placed on the dashboard

La Águila Negra

Kingfisher
Until the last 6 months or so it a war with China was clearly visible on the horizon at some nebulous point in the future but very unlikely to happen in the 6 months or a year those students would be there.
I keep hearing these sentiments. How would you envision this?

I don't see this happen at all. A cold war, okay. A proxy war, maybe. But a direct engagement between the US and China? That didn't even happen in the Cold War 1.0 because both the Soviets and the Americans knew that the risk for Mutual Assured Destruction was just too big