The No Sugar & Junk Food Thread, For Those That Are Serious About Quitting

netguy68

Sparrow
So I survived the business trip mostly intact, I'm doing great this weekend, and now I'm office to Vegas for conference for a week...

Luckily I'm in a resort room, complete with kitchen. Hoping it'll stay easy, and that I'll be able to hit the hotel gym, or a gym a few times. No after hours events are scheduled for this one, so that lowers the temptation.

Let's see how this week goes.

Stay Strong!

aguasin

Sparrow
Good thread. Reading this thread makes me realise I'm not alone with this addiction to sugar.
Finally about three months ago I started getting this feeling as if spiders were crawling on my feet when I was In bed in the evening or morning. Something made me suspect diabetes, and in the meantime it gradually got worse, turning to serious itching on lower legs which led to sores developing - Shit got real. If that isn't a wake up call, then nothing is. I started conscious eating, being aware of everything I eat. I realised everything has sugar, and I also realised that all carbohydrates turn to sugar - that's a big one. Got that one from Sarah Hallberg (da1vvigy5tQ)
Went sort of keto, but I try to avoid red meats and mostly eat fish. My downfall was always chocolate and other sweets, I realised the mor carbohydrates you eat the more sugar you need - It literally helps the body absorb carbs. It all made sense. It's literally an addiction. I've also realised that large portions are the enemy. I go to buy yoghurt or anything at the supermarket and used to always get the large container, telling myself I wouldn't eat it all, but we all know that never happens. I've forced myself to only buy small portions when I have A craving, and it seems to be working..

Work in progress!

Marmite

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Day 2 of cutting out sugar. My sugar intake is mostly from carbonated soft drinks though I do occasionally eat sweets and desserts. Cut it all out completely.

Changing my diet too. I currently mostly get delivery food in, so will be starting to cook my own meals.

This is only a little victory but after skiing for 5 hours today and confronted with a buffet of various deserts and carb laden foods, I chose a Caesar salad, thus preserving the no sugar + low carb plaçe I’m transitioning to post ski season.

It felt good to make this choice and even better to eat.

Is pasta and white rice "junk food"? I ask because from what I understand it has similar effects on blood sugar levels. Should they be avoided altogether?

Sweets and desserts I can handle, but staying away from Italian food is gonna be hard :laugh:

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
TigerMandingo said:
Is pasta and white rice "junk food"? I ask because from what I understand it has similar effects on blood sugar levels. Should they be avoided altogether?

Sweets and desserts I can handle, but staying away from Italian food is gonna be hard :laugh:

It's up to you. If you feel great and accomplish your goals while including those inputs, then more power to you.

Main thing is to avoid the undebatable stuff, the creme puffs, the chocolate, the candies, sweet bread, the cookies, etc.

Whether you do or don't give up the other stuff I suspect will depend a lot on your own genetics, and also, your cultural background.

For me right now, I do have two slices of wheat bread a day. I actually prefer to eliminate it, but that's what holds my turkey + avocado + bacon + mushroom sandwich together during lunch, so for convenience, I eat it.

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
kbell said:
Are you guys giving up all fruits and a lot of vegetables?

Since going no sugar no junk, my meat intake has gone up very much, while everything else has dropped a lot, with sugar and junk going to zero.

I also have pistachios here and there, I like them.

But no sugar, even if it's snuck inside cranberries, for example, just no sugar, so that means no cranberries.

So I do eat fruits and veggies here and there.

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
All right, wanted to give an update. I'm on day 15 of no sugar no junk.

I'm eating about 1.5 pounds of meat every day, usually three kinds of meat every day (from every part of the pig, cow, chicken, fish, lamb, etc), plus some fruits every few days.

I'll have a small amount of veggies every day too.

So, I lost 2 pounds and one belt loop, but I'm never hungry. I actually eat a ton.

The cravings for sugar are gone, 100%. No more dreams of eating ice cream and chocolate, then waking up and thinking, "No, I forgot! I wasn't supposed to eat that!" Then feeling horrible in my dream, but then waking up and realizing it was only a dream.

I'm going to keep this up as long as I can, but it looks like as long as I eat enough meat every day, at this point, I'm over the hump...

Godspeed.

RatInTheWoods

Hummingbird
Gold Member
When you start reading lables of food in the supermarket, its amazing the shit you see in them. Sugar in bean salads? Fuck that, make your own stuff.

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
RatInTheWoods said:
When you start reading lables of food in the supermarket, its amazing the shit you see in them. Sugar in bean salads? Fuck that, make your own stuff.

Yeah, I don't remember what it was I showed my brother, but I was like, this is off-limits, and he was like, why?

Showed him the label and sure enough, sugar. He was surprised.

They stick it in places you wouldn't imagine.

It's almost like they're trying to just get you to try it any way they can...just once, just a little bit...

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
All right, I'm on day 22 of No Sugar, No Junk.

So far so good.

I'm surprised we haven't had any "I was a little bitch" posts yet...

Has the thread been that successful at getting everyone to quit?

Or are some folks being too much of a little bitch to post that they were a little bitch on a certain day?

What's the real story? How much hamstering is going on here...

:malehamster:

Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I noticed something else. One of my upper molars and one of my lower molars had been a bit sensitive before this, but only a bit, I could only feel it when I brushed my teeth. Still, I was thinking I was probably going to have to get a filling on the lower one and a root canal on the upper one (because I'd just got a filling on that one a few months before).

Well, since cutting junk food, I can now brush my teeth vigorously and there's zero sensitivity.

Saved myself some dental work.

Ok so after a week on holiday post ski season I’m now full on the bandwagon.

I’m basically going to be following the primal blueprint model of a long term sustainable way of eating which include no junk, nothing processed.

I know what will happen next, I will get a headache for a couple of days due to carb withdrawal and I’ll find myself in the odd spot here and there where I’ve not planned my meals correctly so I’ll be out somewhere and starving and not have access to non junk food. The other thing that will happen is my body will dump a load of water weight it doesn’t need which it was retaining to deal with the carbs and inflammation from them.

I really like eating this way, no bloating, no gas, loads of energy. It’s just I possible to do in the winter.

Posting here for accountability.

Super_Fire

Kingfisher
I tripped up about a week ago, people kept offering me snacks that I couldn't turn down in polite company. Really wanted to avoid that.

Been on it since then, no sugar whatsoever.

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
Ok, I was a little bitch yesterday.

I went to the movie theater to see Deadpool 2 and they didn't have any healthy snacks, so I bought 3 packs of those Sahale Snacks (they're like sugary pistachios or pecans, if you don't have them in your country).

That's the first time I had anything with added sugar in it since I started this thread in March 30.

So I went 50 days without any added sugar. Haven't lost any weight because I ended up making up for the calories with healthy food, but I do feel much more clear-headed and my moods were much more level over the past 50 days.

Also, I still don't crave sugar like before...except for earlier today, I almost cracked and bought some Mexican sweet bread, but I didn't...and right now, I really want some ice cream.

Could be my cravings will come back due to that trip to the movie theater, but we'll see, so far I haven't cracked again, I'm hoping it's a one-off.

zanetti

Kingfisher
Gold Member
For the last 2 weeks I've been on a no gluten, no sweets/processed foods, no alcohol diet. So far I don't feel any positive changes yet. The only things I've noticed so far:
-Energy levels seem to be a bit lower than before starting the diet
-I have more acne and also in places where I normally don't get it (neck, back, torso)
-My dreams at night seem to be a lot more "lively" and I can almost always remember them when I wake up, which wasn't the case before. Last night I had a panic dream in which I was accidentally eating bread :)

My goal is to do this for another 4 weeks. If no positive results, then a wheat free diet for 6 weeks. If that doesn't work, then paleo diet for 6 weeks. I'm hoping changing my diet will help me with some chronic skin/bladder/prostate issues I've been having.