The No Sugar & Junk Food Thread, For Those That Are Serious About Quitting

Gray Beard said:
Ski pro said:
Gray Beard said:
Georges89 said:
Winston Wolfe said:
I have been quite the substance abuser for most of my adult life.

A few years ago, I was drinking massive amounts of alcohol, red bull and coffee and smoking massive amounts of cigarettes and weed. All at the same time.

Gradually, I have been taking care of every single one of them.

A few years ago I quit smoking weed.

About two years ago, I finally got rid of the damn red bulls (that shit truly is the devil and should be the very first thing you get rid of, including other pops like coke).

Then, what I thought would be the hardest one was actually the easiest: I quit smoking cigarettes after 12 years of massive consumption.

But what I didn't realize was that after quitting each of those, consumption of the others just went up and up. As if my brain was saying "at least give me SOMETHING dude!"

So after cutting out weed, sugar and nicotine, my alcohol consumption gradually got out of hand, as did my coffee consumption. Alcohol every night and at least 6 cups of coffee a day.

I've been a lurker on this forum for a very long time, and the reason I finally registered was to take care of the most problematic one of them all: I wanted to face my alcohol problems and participate in the drinking wagon thread.

So far, I have managed to not drink alcohol for almost 3 months. But guess what happened in the meantime? The only thing I still had left, caffeine, wasn't enough anymore. I started eating sugar again!

No red bulls, I simply refuse the stuff now, but I do find myself eating ice cream, chocolate and all kinds of that nasty processed stuff way too often.

I don't want to derail this thread to a personal journal and maybe this even warrants its own thread, but my body just seems to always need SOMETHING. It drives me insane.

It's almost as if someone else controls my body when I do it. I am aware of the fact that I am walking into a store to grab chocolate and other sweets. I am also aware of the fact that I shouldn't do it. But it doesn't stop me.

Then when I'm back home eating it, part of me feels completely disgusted while doing it and another part of me feels in heaven.

I am already half way dealing with my caffeine problem, but I am also in on this one. Time to get serious, no more sugars.

WW, wow, you hit the nail on the head. I have this exact same issue. I quit smoking 2.5 years ago, I quit drugs, over a year ago. I quit booze for the last six months. I've even cut out coffee (apart from occasional decaff - it turns out my body is ultra sensitive to coffee for some reason.) I guess we should both give ourselves a pat on the back.

But certainly for people such as us, who have so-called 'addictive-personalities' for want of a better phrase, that need for a dopamine release transpires elsehwhere.

So diet has become the next area where my addiction has 'sprouted'.

I feel I'm at the final leg of getting my well-being and health really together. Its a long fucking journey. After quitting the chemicals (minus tea) I thought everything was going to be much easier. But I realised diet has a much bigger effect than I could have ever realised. The chemicals/alcohol can make you feel really shit..But the food is the difference between feeling so so everyday, and thriving.

I have maintained a very low carb / high fat / no artificial sweeteners / highly reduced (usually zero) processed food diet for several years now, and as a result "lost" 25% of my weight (started at BMI = 28 and now 21), diabetes type 2, and frequent headaches. On top of that, my energy level is higher than it was and much more stable. But I have always consumed a lot of caffeine and I have zero intention of reducing that. What problems does caffeine consumption cause you?

I completely quit all caffeine around two years ago, made. A massive difference to my life. Natural energy and rythme restored,I jump out of the bed in the or I gotta ready to go, no need for the coffee crutch to get me going.

I also use to get terrible headaches hat entail the way down the back of my neck, I thought that was alcohol but turns out it was Caffine related. It’s like your whole nervous system is constantly on edge if you have too much caffeine in your system, you are exhausting your fight or flight mechanism.

Caffeine only takes 24-48 hours to leave your system, try no caffeine for week and see how you get on

I think this is a case demonstrating the YMWV principle. I have skipped coffee for longer than two days in the past--I am not physiologically addicted to it, I just like it. But more relevant and important here, ever since switching to low carb / high fat, my energy levels have been stable all day (before and after my morning coffee) and I have no headaches.

As long as you aren’t overdosing on the caffine it’s ok. Mark sisson talks a lot about a morning coffe being part of his morning ritual.

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
Gray Beard said:
@Spaniard88: You forgot to say "I'm a little bitch, I ate junk food today." In your original post you promised to do that if you fall off the wagon. Why do I remember? Because it was the only reason I didn't like that first post. In other words, if I were you I might have forgotten that part too. Otherwise, a great post and therefore a great thread, thank you for it.

More seriously, regarding caffeine, I can only say again: YMWV. Does it make you haggard and age prematurely? I don't know but I never tried to combine my caffeine habit with any degree of alcoholism; that is, I never consume more than a standard drink and even that much far from every day. Some weeks I go without any alcohol at all. But I do stop the coffee intake a couple hours before my bedtime. My wife--we are abusing caffeine together, happily--doesn't hesitate to drink coffee late at night and sleeps like a stone. Yet another indication that YMWV.

I did say that, man.

Look, scroll up, I didn't forget.

Also, I'll add I'm the only one so far on the thread that has done it.

But since I went off the wagon (this was some serious off-the-wagon shit), I wasn't going to clog up the forum every day after with all the ice cream I was eating...6 or 7 days straight of falling off the wagon.

I'm back on it, though, as of yesterday.

Also, I specifically said "I'm not saying anyone is addicted," so I wasn't (and I'm still not), saying you're addicted. It's all good, I only made the comment to help other people, not to poke at you.

All good, glad you're enjoying the thread, hope it helps folks.

Spaniard88 said:
Gray Beard said:
@Spaniard88: You forgot to say "I'm a little bitch, I ate junk food today." In your original post you promised to do that if you fall off the wagon. Why do I remember? Because it was the only reason I didn't like that first post. In other words, if I were you I might have forgotten that part too. Otherwise, a great post and therefore a great thread, thank you for it.

More seriously, regarding caffeine, I can only say again: YMWV. Does it make you haggard and age prematurely? I don't know but I never tried to combine my caffeine habit with any degree of alcoholism; that is, I never consume more than a standard drink and even that much far from every day. Some weeks I go without any alcohol at all. But I do stop the coffee intake a couple hours before my bedtime. My wife--we are abusing caffeine together, happily--doesn't hesitate to drink coffee late at night and sleeps like a stone. Yet another indication that YMWV.

I did say that, man.

Look, scroll up, I didn't forget.

Also, I'll add I'm the only one so far on the thread that has done it.

But since I went off the wagon (this was some serious off-the-wagon shit), I wasn't going to clog up the forum every day after with all the ice cream I was eating...6 or 7 days straight of falling off the wagon.

I'm back on it, though, as of yesterday.

Also, I specifically said "I'm not saying anyone is addicted," so I wasn't (and I'm still not), saying you're addicted. It's all good, I only made the comment to help other people, not to poke at you.

All good, glad you're enjoying the thread, hope it helps folks.

Sorry if I missed it. I actually did a search but possibly there is a small change that thwarted it. Anyway, all good indeed.

Piecoon

Pigeon
Denzel said:
I respectfully disagree with the quoted part.

I was able to gain muscles and lose fat by working out and eating clean some years ago. To be clear, I was not on keto diet at the time.

Piecoon said:

I firmly believe in NO WORKING OUT while trying to shed fat weight.
You will be changing your diet significantly. Burning extra calories in anyway requires you to replace them. Changing your diet is hard enough, you will only make this harder by increasing the amount of calories you need to consume daily.

Your diet has 100% to do with fat loss/gain. Working out has wonderful benefits and I love to work out, but will not help with fat loss.

You are correct Denzel, I didn't say you could not lose fat while working out. I maybe could have used better wording. I do feel it will be easier for some, especially someone who needs to lose 30+ lbs of fat and already has a bad diet.

We all have to replace calories we burn from working out, increasing our total daily intake. For someone makeing a major lifestyle/diet change, this can be very difficult and made harder by increasing daily caloric need. Also, everyone is different (lifestyle, diet, workout) what works best for me or you may be different for others.

Lost another kg (down to 89.5 today) over the last week or so by trying to eat clean and limiting bad choices. Physically eating less now and generallyi have replaced sugar added foods with things like nuts and berries, coconut chips and dried fruits.

Started to exercise again now the ski season has finished and I’ve completed my month break from all exercise. Hitting gym on a weekly basis to lift and interspersing that with some sprints and football.

Posting here for accountability

JohnnyBo

Chicken
That's what concerns sugar - this is the first thing I removed from the diet. instead I use stevia, this is the best sweetener of all that I have tried! Sometimes my wife bakes me a favorite weed cookies, and I can break a diet. It is a pity that I immediately have to correct the situation, but I think it does minimal harm from everything that can bring it.

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
Today I ate a jumbo banana split, two Crunch chocolate bars, one large tube of Pringles, one bag of M & M's, one bag of chocolate-covered raisins, one Nutrageous, one bag of banana chips, and one gatorade.

I started the day off so well with a meat and bone marrow soup...and then...

Feel a bit disgusted with myself right now.

I had been doing so well, too.

Im going to wake up tomorrow with like 3 or 4 giant zits...

On the plus side, tomorrow is a new day, a clean slate.

roberto

Pelican
Gold Member
Ski pro said:
Lost another kg (down to 89.5 today) over the last week or so by trying to eat clean and limiting bad choices. Physically eating less now and generallyi have replaced sugar added foods with things like nuts and berries, coconut chips and dried fruits.

Started to exercise again now the ski season has finished and I’ve completed my month break from all exercise. Hitting gym on a weekly basis to lift and interspersing that with some sprints and football.

In my experience that's a bad move. Nuts and dried fruits in particular are extremely high in calories and sugar respectively.

Carrots are good to snack on, they fill you up pretty good.

filio

Pigeon
This is a great thread.

Being an addict (nearly 4 years sober from booze & drugs, 3,5 years from cigarettes and maybe 2 from caffeine although with the occasional decaf) i noticed myself turning towards diet as my new source of dopamine and a fix, just like a lot of the previous posters shared.

My diet is ok most of the time, maybe 60-70%, but I have a few binge days every so often, I can't have any sweets in the house, because I will eat them all. Sometimes I go to the store around the corner and buy a lot of sugary shit, eat it all at once, feel the rush and then awful and disappointed afterwards. My body is ok, i'm fairly ripped and not too much excess body fat, with a six pack visible when I'm not too bloated from eating garbage, so for me it's not as much about losing weight and getting fit, but about controlling this sugar addiction.

I've started fasting intermittendly a few weeks ago, but then again I have a good week where I'm mostly on point with food and excercise, but then the following week everything starts breaking down and I eat like crap again and whenever and whatever I want.

I know I won't be able to cut out the sugar now a few days before christmas, but maybe after Christmas is over I'll jump on the wagon again and try it for real this time!

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
Today was good, ate milkfish and chicken with vegetables, and that's it. Looking to keep it up a few weeks, so that it becomes a habit again. Ideally.

kosko

Peacock
Gold Member
roberto said:
Ski pro said:

In my experience that's a bad move. Nuts and dried fruits in particular are extremely high in calories and sugar respectively.

I have to disagree with this.

Have you ever met a person who got fat just eating blueberries and bananas?

Dried fruit has the water removed, eat dried cranberries and nuts with water and it is all back to normal.

Yes, you can over consume on dried fruit and nuts, to an extent, but all the fibre present will blow up your toilet bowl and you'll learn retrain the natural hard way.

Dried fruit and nuts is a good way to get dense calories on a diet as you can fill your calorie requirements with this rather than trying to sneak in carbs. Also, the fibre present keeps you full longer. Fibre is the key and is nature's way of controlling how much you eat. What hurts our bodies is the processed and refined foods that strip the fibre away leaving just the sugar.

I have lots to contribute to the thread and when I have some time I will write a data sheet. For some context I went from bringing on chips and soda to now hot having drank a can of soda in 15 years. It is all willpower, choices, distances and some time that is needed. With time your pallete will change and will no longer prefer sweet items.

First major step I can quickly share, is to cut drinking your calories and to also not use calorie free replacements such as diet coke. You have to learn to drink and love drinking water (or milk to am extent). The bulk of sweet induced cravings come from an actual need for water and being thirsty. For many who don't like water this means juice or whatever else to satisfy this urge.

One you ditch the drinking of sugary drinks it makes the food part very easy.

For all those folks who I see who can't shake sugar all have a common theme in not enjoying drinking water and being dehydrated. One girl I work with, with water, drinks what I do in one morning over a course of two days and the rest is soda and juice she consumes. All you need to know.

If you hate water you can find good water enhancers that have minimal artificial sweeteners and provide a light for taste to the water. That can be a good bridge to ween yourself of sugar drinks to eventually just consuming mostly water (I drink cold pressed juices a few times per week but I go for the very nutrition dense drinks that are not all that sweet I.e. beet and carrot juice)

Starting this tomorrow Jan 3 2019.

Sugar and junk food has always been my problem because I never got into drinking/drugs so if I can limit the junk food to special occasions I feel that I will be happier, more clear-headed and more motivated. Have 3 goals I'd like to achieve this year:

- lose virginity
- get job at school or internship in my field of study
- play an intermediate difficulty song on guitar

JimBobsCooters

Woodpecker
I suck at this so I'm going to join up to hold myself more accountable. It's really the only weakness in my diet right now.

I've actually been successful at cutting out soft drink for over 2 months now but my sweet tooth strikes constantly on shit that is just awful for me and I know it but it tastes so good.

So the aim is to try and limit my intake to one chocolate bar (regular size no cheating and buying a monster block) and one ice cream (Magnums...) per month. Given I've already killed January's quota (hence the inspiration for this post) that means none until February!

So let's do this.

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
JimBobsCooters said:
So the aim is to try and limit my intake to one chocolate bar (regular size no cheating and buying a monster block) and one ice cream (Magnums...) per month. Given I've already killed January's quota (hence the inspiration for this post) that means none until February!

:agree2:

whatday

Ostrich
Gold Member
I started again on January 1, 2019.

I'd been doing pretty good, then towards December of 2018 the sugar monster returned.

I've kept him 100% locked up since the 1st, though...3 days, going strong.

roberto

Pelican
Gold Member
kosko said:
roberto said:
Ski pro said:

I have to disagree with this.

Have you ever met a person who got fat just eating blueberries and bananas?

Dried fruit has the water removed, eat dried cranberries and nuts with water and it is all back to normal.

Dried cranberries are 65% sugar. I thought this was the no sugar thread?

For example:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

A 300g bag of Tesco fruit and nut mix. The kind of thing Ski Pro might carry with him on the slopes, right? A healthy snack, right?

At 457 calories per 100 grams, the pack contains 1371 calories. At 42.2% sugar this is 122.6g of sugar for the pack.

And how well does that tiny 300g pack of dried fruit and nuts fill you up? Not a sensible snack in my book. For most people, the sugar will just trigger a massive insulin hike, the large amount of fat from the nuts will be stored and you'll be hungry two hours later.

A five egg omelette with tinned mackerel and some cheese AND butter would come in at well under 1000 calories, and I can run all day on this, skipping lunch.

Kopthat

Chicken
I’ve started too great idea quick tip I use instead of potatoes
Cauliflower and broccoli mash with garlic and onion
Season bit of salt and ground black pepper delicious,

roberto

Pelican
Gold Member
Kopthat said:
I’ve started too great idea quick tip I use instead of potatoes
Cauliflower and broccoli mash with garlic and onion
Season bit of salt and ground black pepper delicious,

Gonna try that tonight, thanks mate.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Last week or maybe two weeks ago when I visited the lifestyle section to post something about a dream I recall seeing the title to this thread.... then numerous times in the past week when at the store or even at the house whenever I see some kind of sugary junk food calling my name the this thread comes to mind and I avoid the sugary temptation, except at the Christmas dinner I had the thinnest slice of cake I could cut.

What I'm trying to say is...... I'M IN

tenor.gif

(I'm not doing this for any kind of weight loss reasons... I''m already fooking smaller now then I have been in years)