The No Sugar & Junk Food Thread, For Those That Are Serious About Quitting

rottenapple

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Made it the full month and decided to keep going. So far the effects have been better sleep (and more vivid dreams), skin cleared up, a little bit of weight loss (maybe 1kg) and increased focus. Cravings are largely gone but occasionally they are still there, just shows what an addict I was. The thing I crave most is chocolate and fruit juice. I did pretty much decide to stop drinking sodas indefinitely, I don't miss them and they are shit.

I keep eating fruits and rarely some sweetener replacement (in protein shakes for instance).

Now, since I am not yet ripped and also want to see more longer term effects, I will include a 14 hour intermittent fast to my no sugar diet and I'll do a small home workout every day after my last meal, to see if this would speed up weight loss/getting lean.
 
rottenapple said:
Made it the full month and decided to keep going. So far the effects have been better sleep (and more vivid dreams), skin cleared up, a little bit of weight loss (maybe 1kg) and increased focus. Cravings are largely gone but occasionally they are still there, just shows what an addict I was. The thing I crave most is chocolate and fruit juice. I did pretty much decide to stop drinking sodas indefinitely, I don't miss them and they are shit.

I keep eating fruits and rarely some sweetener replacement (in protein shakes for instance).

Now, since I am not yet ripped and also want to see more longer term effects, I will include a 14 hour intermittent fast to my no sugar diet and I'll do a small home workout every day after my last meal, to see if this would speed up weight loss/getting lean.

Well done! You're on the right path.
I've been on the almost-no-sugar train for several years. Each day I have

1) A little apple juice
2) One tsp sugar in the afternoon coffee
3) One square of dark chocolate at night

All my food is made from scratch using real foods, the type that spoil. Nothing processed or boxed and rarely canned. To get ripped, you gotta learn to cook well.

I too keep a 14-hour daily fast, from 8 pm (end of dinner) to 10 am (big breakfast).

The result: All these things, together with HIIT class and regular iron pumping, resulted in a four-pack appearing square in the middle of my abdomen shortly after my 40th birthday. It surprised me too. That was three years ago, and since then, I've gotten lots of admiration from las chicas -- they often make comments about my arms, or my abs, and sometimes I catch them looking too, esp in public. Again, this surprised me. Women literally never admired my upper body before now. It's entirely due to 1) very-low-sugar, low-carb diet, and 2) better, more intense exercise.

I can't recommend it enough. I don't know why I waited so long.

Also: Be sure to remove all industrially-produced seed oils (canola, corn, palm, etc) from your diet. They are absolutely terrible for overall health. Cook only with butter or olive oil -- and if you're trying to lose weight, even those should be used very, very sparingly until you reach your goal weight.

DM me if you have questions. I love talking about nutrition.
 
Mentavious said:
Are you guys cutting out rice as well?

White rice is terrible for you because its glycemic load is so high. I view it as a treat on par with potato chips -- something to have maybe once a month, when I make a creamy asparagus risotto.

Brown rice has a much lower glycemic load, so it can be eaten more frequently, but I still don't touch the stuff. Try farro instead. It's nutty and chewy and has fairly high protein, for a grain.
 

Sooth

Pelican
Gold Member
By the end of the week my living circumstances will change to where I'll be the only one bringing food into the house.

I know It's a cop out as I should have more self control but sharing a kitchen and meals with people who are not concerned about diet makes it easy to drop the discipline.

I'm essentially going to follow a wholefood / low carb diet with emphasis on actually cooking meals rather than eating things out of packets and cans. Also leaning more towards meat. The thing I need to remember is to be careful with portion size. Hopefully cooking more often ups my skills. If I stumble on some good recipes I'll share them.
 
Since quitting booze roughly a month ago I've been craving (and eating) a shit ton of sugar. I'm hoping this will pass but I'm not so sure! I've never had much of a sweet tooth in my life but the no alcohol thing has changed that. I'm gonna need to take notes from this thread.
 

HD668B

Kingfisher
Gold Member
GT777733 said:
Today marks 25 days completely refined sugar (ice cream, chocolate etc.), bread, and junk food free

New to the thread, and this if one of the first post I read.

You can easily make paleo ice-cream with coconut milk, and dark chocolate (85% min) is extremely healthy and helpful for dealing with sugar cravings.

Why are humans so addicted to sugar? Because its an amazing source of energy, for times when we were in constant life threatening situations. Nowadays we over consume it so much it is toxic. But it can be replaced. And it can sometimes be used in small quantities.
 

HD668B

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Savonarola said:
1) A little apple juice
2) One tsp sugar in the afternoon coffee
3) One square of dark chocolate at night

All my food is made from scratch using real foods, the type that spoil. Nothing processed or boxed and rarely canned. To get ripped, you gotta learn to cook well.

I too keep a 14-hour daily fast, from 8 pm (end of dinner) to 10 am (big breakfast).

Why the apple juice? Basically every fruit juice is high in fructose, which is also basically sugar.

For coffee u can easily skip the sugar for Stevia, im a big fan of the liquid one. I mix it with coconut milk + MCT oil or grassfed butter for a bulletproof.

I would try to push to the 16 hours intermittent-fasting, seems like its around the sweet spot

PS: what kind of dark chocolate u got?

EDIT: for fasting 18h seems actually the best
0*vS4gRUMWRHQcP_1R.
 
HD668B said:
Savonarola said:
1) A little apple juice
2) One tsp sugar in the afternoon coffee
3) One square of dark chocolate at night

All my food is made from scratch using real foods, the type that spoil. Nothing processed or boxed and rarely canned. To get ripped, you gotta learn to cook well.

I too keep a 14-hour daily fast, from 8 pm (end of dinner) to 10 am (big breakfast).

Why the apple juice? Basically every fruit juice is high in fructose, which is also basically sugar.

For coffee u can easily skip the sugar for Stevia, im a big fan of the liquid one. I mix it with coconut milk + MCT oil or grassfed butter for a bulletproof.

I would try to push to the 16 hours intermittent-fasting, seems like its around the sweet spot

PS: what kind of dark chocolate u got?

EDIT: for fasting 18h seems actually the best
0*vS4gRUMWRHQcP_1R.

1. First thing in the morning, the natural sugars in two ounces of apple juice really wakes me up. That's why I drink it. I mix it with a pint of water.
2. Even Mark Sisson puts sugar in his coffee. It's not the end of the world.
3. I've tried to fast 16 hours. It works once in a while, but my body usually lets me know that it needs food, NOW, at hour 14.
4. Dark chocolate: Theo is probably my favorite.
5. I drink liquor but avoid mixers. Gin on the rocks with some citrus, occasionally a touch of honey.
 
Rhyme or Reason said:
Since quitting booze roughly a month ago I've been craving (and eating) a shit ton of sugar. I'm hoping this will pass but I'm not so sure! I've never had much of a sweet tooth in my life but the no alcohol thing has changed that. I'm gonna need to take notes from this thread.

It could also be the winter weather, if you're living in a cold climate. Our bodies generally want more carbs/sugars during the colder months. I've noticed it's a lot easier to stick with meat/veg in the spring, summer, and fall.
 
Savonarola said:
Rhyme or Reason said:
Since quitting booze roughly a month ago I've been craving (and eating) a shit ton of sugar. I'm hoping this will pass but I'm not so sure! I've never had much of a sweet tooth in my life but the no alcohol thing has changed that. I'm gonna need to take notes from this thread.

It could also be the winter weather, if you're living in a cold climate. Our bodies generally want more carbs/sugars during the colder months. I've noticed it's a lot easier to stick with meat/veg in the spring, summer, and fall.

I second this. I eat really clean may to November but when those dark months come and up the hill all day, the sugar and carb demands from the body are massive. It’s very hard to choose salad when the days are short and the temps are cold
 

roberto

Pelican
Gold Member
Ski pro said:
I second this. I eat really clean may to November but when those dark months come and up the hill all day, the sugar and carb demands from the body are massive. It’s very hard to choose salad when the days are short and the temps are cold

Keto bro. Endorsed by the Eskimos!
 

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
I did this for about 30 days from late December to Late January. I felt better and lost 12 pounds. I've been maintaining my weight since then after a minor back injury took me out of the gym for a few weeks but will be hopping back on the no junk food train.
 

ChefAllDay

Kingfisher
For those who enjoy pop or soda, try switching to carbonated water with a little lime or lemon juice. It takes a couple days to get used to it, but so much better for you than any soda.
 
lavidaloca said:
I did this for about 30 days from late December to Late January. I felt better and lost 12 pounds. I've been maintaining my weight since then after a minor back injury took me out of the gym for a few weeks but will be hopping back on the no junk food train.

After a while it just becomes your life, and you wonder how all these people around you could possibly subsist on sugars and refined carbs and vegetable oils.
It's like being reborn as an alien on earth. In a very good way.
 

ChefAllDay

Kingfisher
Another tip for a sweet tooth is to melt coconut oil and mix in raw Cacao, pout it into little silicone moulds and let it cool to room temp. You may need to mess with the ratios based on your tastes, but they make awesome snacks. Cacao and coconut also help wit hunger cravings.
 
eradicator said:
Are you guys cutting out rice as well?

Rice is good for you, especially brown rice.

Sugar and especially sugar from high fructose corn syrup is disgusting and something to be avoided.

Yeah, I eat rice too I don't think it's as bad as having french fries or fruit juice. I've read many times fruit juice is as bad or worse than having a coca cola can.

I stopped eating junk food a while ago, I kinda don't like to eat out much anymore. If you knew the quality of the food they buy you wouldn't.

Most places buy veggies/meats/chicken from China, I wouldn't want to eat that as most food from there is contaminated. And that's talking about restaurants, I wouldn't imagine what's inside of a Wendy's meal.

I prefer buying organic vegetables, organic chicken, rice, etc. and just cooking my own food.

I stopped eating candies a few weeks ago (though I failed this weekend and had a few cookies/cake). But I'm not craving them as much as I used to, I can walk into Walgreens and walk hrough the candy isle and not be tempted. I used to buy one or two snickers bars every day.
 
Top