The No Sugar & Junk Food Thread, For Those That Are Serious About Quitting

Louis IX

Pelican
I am still taking chocolate bars and energy drinks....
and i am 33 ... I even hide it from my wife

What a shame. Thanks god i have a clean life besides this....

Andrew088

Chicken
It's an awesome idea. I've been eating clear and healty food for 2 month and results are awesome. I look good, fell myself even better, my allergy had also gone

Marmite

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I stopped drinking soft drinks a few months back, and I'm now on day three of no sugar. Feeling clearer, and sleeping better for it.

I'm drinking about three to four litres of tap water a day. I've been meaning to buy a water filter, just haven't gotten to it yet.

I still need to clean up my diet, but it isn't that bad. I just need to add more veg, and reduce portion size. Then adapt as I go.

ChefAllDay

Kingfisher
YetiECV said:
My problem is I like beer, I don't know how to give that up. Also, when I say I like beer, I'm down to drinking every other weekend.

Try Michelob Ultra, it's passable to drink with very low carbs.

Kelent

Robin
I've cut soda almost completely out of my diet. The only times I'll have it are if I'm at work, then I'll cut it with the cup being 80% water. Otherwise I'll use concentrate syrups, which aren't as bad but still I limit them. Tea and coffee are good alternatives, I just don't have a way to brew tea consistently enough to switch. Suggestions welcome.

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Kelent said:
I've cut soda almost completely out of my diet. The only times I'll have it are if I'm at work, then I'll cut it with the cup being 80% water. Otherwise I'll use concentrate syrups, which aren't as bad but still I limit them. Tea and coffee are good alternatives, I just don't have a way to brew tea consistently enough to switch. Suggestions welcome.

Getting a cheap electrical kettle is easy.

cycl0ne

Sparrow
I found it so strange when i lived in America that a lot of households do not own a kettle unlike in the UK (or Europe) where every house has one.

I basically cut the sugar out of my diet. In the past week I've had maybe two servings of sugar. And I tell you what the tea that had the sugar and it was really good, I mean really good. I have enjoy a beverage with sugar that much in the longest time. And yes I do think sugar is addictive.

It is incredible the number of calories the average American gets from sugar. No wonder we are all so fat. Yes you can have a soda but no do not have more than one serving, don't even bother have 12 ounces, have 8, 8 ounces is a serving size.

I've never been in the habit of eating junk food and prepare all my own meals. Don't eat anything out of boxes. But the problem still remains that there are additives and toxins in almost all of our food products, much less processed food products (100 percent of which have messed up stuff in them).

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I was at whole foods yesterday buying a bunch of meats and some rice so I can cook dinners the whole week, and because I hadn't slept in 36 hours and didn't feel like cooking I grabbed two slices of pizza from them at the hot bar. This brings me to the question that presumably the whole foods pizza ingredients are probably fairly well made(in theory) vs say something from pizzahut, Is this type of food considered junk food? And also if I was to buy decent quality ingredients separately and bake my own pizza, would that be junk food?

Zenta said:
I was at whole foods yesterday buying a bunch of meats and some rice so I can cook dinners the whole week, and because I hadn't slept in 36 hours and didn't feel like cooking I grabbed two slices of pizza from them at the hot bar. This brings me to the question that presumably the whole foods pizza ingredients are probably fairly well made(in theory) vs say something from pizzahut, Is this type of food considered junk food? And also if I was to buy decent quality ingredients separately and bake my own pizza, would that be junk food?

I'm a pretty big fan of whole foods pizza myself. The last time I checked it's good in terms of quality. As you know, Whole Foods doesn't fill their foods and items they sell with preservatives and chemicals. I think you're good man.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
I need to get on this.

I barely ever drink alcohol (maybe a glass of wine or cider twice a month, at most), and never drink soft drinks, but definitely have a sweet tooth, and I'm vulnerable to doing stuff like getting a bag of chips or a candy bar from the vending machine at work (at one point, I was doing this every day.)

I'm slim and in good shape so there's never been any real sense of urgency, but if I could cut out the junk food, I'd probably have visible abs, clearer skin, and more energy.

For now, I will cut out everything except a maximum of two squares of dark chocolate once every few days. I already like snacking on nuts and usually do that once a day. Maybe I'll try substituting a mix of berries for sweets for my other meal.

I generally do intermittent fasting a few days a week (8PM-12PM) so my goal is to maintain that at least five days a week.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Zenta said:
Kelent said:

Getting a cheap electrical kettle is easy.

You can even heat up water in a microwave.

treypound

Woodpecker
I need to commit to this myself. Since moving, I have found myself off my game when it comes to my diet, and it's led to gaining a few pounds around the midsection. I can likely go cold turkey on sweets/junk food, although my kryptonite is often the occasional late night meal if my gf and I are out on the town.