The Orthodox Church

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I use Bible Gateway for Bible study and really enjoy the perspective of the Orthodox Study Bible notes. Most of the time, it's not dramatically different in its commentary from a good "protestant" study Bible, but sometimes it offers fascinating insight that never occurred to me before.

If you use Bible Gateway I also recommend checking out the notes from the Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible and First Century Study Bible. These give tons of insight into the culture and society surrounding the text. The older I get, the more I appreciate how understanding cultural context is crucial to understanding what the Bible is trying to say. (For instance, without understanding the cultural value of purity/impurity, you lose a lot of the impact of Jesus coming into contact with lepers or other sick people and making them "clean.")

Not sure where to post this, but I want to put it out there, here seems appropriate. I live far from the nearest Russian Orthodox Church. It's about a 3.5 hour drive. My wife and I attended a Vespers before the pandemic hit. While there, we both prayed and lit candles in hopes of conceiving a child, specifically a son. Today our prayers were realized and we learned that we are indeed receiving the son we asked for. Now I pray for the health of mother and child to be. Praise be to our Lord for answering our prayers and praise to the Orthodox church, the community, and power of Faith. God Bless you all, Gentlemen.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Not sure where to post this, but I want to put it out there, here seems appropriate. I live far from the nearest Russian Orthodox Church. It's about a 3.5 hour drive. My wife and I attended a Vespers before the pandemic hit. While there, we both prayed and lit candles in hopes of conceiving a child, specifically a son. Today our prayers were realized and we learned that we are indeed receiving the son we asked for. Now I pray for the health of mother and child to be. Praise be to our Lord for answering our prayers and praise to the Orthodox church, the community, and power of Faith. God Bless you all, Gentlemen.
Thank you for sharing. May God bless you and your growing family.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I've been exploring Orthodoxy lately and I'm interested in visiting an Orthodox church when I get a chance (as the Covid situation and other factors permit.) I live in the north metro Atlanta area and have several intriguing options nearby:

St John The Wonder Worker - OCA. This is deep in Atlanta and a bit far away from me.
St Basil Marietta - OCA. This would be the closest OCA church to me, around 15 minutes away. Looks pretty good.
Advent Atlanta - Antiochian, Western Rite. Yes, you read that correctly.
Sts Raphael, Nicholas, and Irene Green Orthodox - Greek Orthodox. This is Father Barnabas Powell's church - really enjoy the videos and teachings of his I've seen. However, it's quite far away, about 45 minutes from home.

If I had to pick just one I'd be inclined to visit Advent because of the rareness of Western Rite. I'm of English/Scottish descent and even though my spiritual lineage comes from the Southern Baptist route, the beauty of Anglican worship has always appealed to me and seems more culturally familiar; the completely pozzed nature of modern Anglican/Episcopal churches, not so much.

On the other hand, I'd be quite open to the more Eastern expressions in other churches. With the possible exception of the last one I listed, these churches don't strike me as heavily ethnic to begin with. Curious to hear about what you guys think. Anybody here attend a Western Rite Orthodox church?

DanielH

Woodpecker
I've been exploring Orthodoxy lately and I'm interested in visiting an Orthodox church when I get a chance (as the Covid situation and other factors permit.) I live in the north metro Atlanta area and have several intriguing options nearby:

St John The Wonder Worker - OCA. This is deep in Atlanta and a bit far away from me.
St Basil Marietta - OCA. This would be the closest OCA church to me, around 15 minutes away. Looks pretty good.
Advent Atlanta - Antiochian, Western Rite. Yes, you read that correctly.
Sts Raphael, Nicholas, and Irene Green Orthodox - Greek Orthodox. This is Father Barnabas Powell's church - really enjoy the videos and teachings of his I've seen. However, it's quite far away, about 45 minutes from home.

If I had to pick just one I'd be inclined to visit Advent because of the rareness of Western Rite. I'm of English/Scottish descent and even though my spiritual lineage comes from the Southern Baptist route, the beauty of Anglican worship has always appealed to me and seems more culturally familiar; the completely pozzed nature of modern Anglican/Episcopal churches, not so much.

On the other hand, I'd be quite open to the more Eastern expressions in other churches. With the possible exception of the last one I listed, these churches don't strike me as heavily ethnic to begin with. Curious to hear about what you guys think. Anybody here attend a Western Rite Orthodox church?
There's a degree of controversy to western rite. Basically the thought process is the normal Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom was good enough for Slavs, Greeks, Japanese, Ugandans, Guatemalans, so why reinvent the wheel? Their theology is correct but in my opinion the liturgical differences create a point of weakness which could (and has in the past) lead to schisms. When I went to Liturgy the first time it was the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. That being said, there's nothing wrong with visiting several of those churches and finding the one you like the most.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Not only is that troubling from a religious perspective, I think this can easily lead to a direct military conflict, especially given the existing tensions between Greece and Turkey.

Many people might not realize how many attempts Russia has already made to take Constantinople from Turkey. It was actually part of their conditions for joining WW1. The city is not only religiously significant, it's strategically and economically significant.

And there have been recent saints, like Saint Paisios of Greece, who prophesied a near-future world war that involved a Russian invasion of Turkey.

Last edited:

An0dyne

Robin
Not only is that troubling from a religious perspective, I think this can easily lead to a direct military conflict, especially given the existing tensions between Greece and Turkey.

Many people might not realize how many attempts Russia has already made to take Constantinople from Turkey. It was actually part of their conditions for joining WW1. The city is not only religiously significant, it's strategically and economically significant.

And there have been recent saints, like Saint Paisios of Greece, who prophesied a near-future world war that involved a Russian invasion of Turkey.

I salute any attempt by Russia to reclaim Constantinople. Make Istanbul Constantinople Again.

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Not sure if this is an appropriate thread to post.

President of Turkey and his Islamist regime seizes and converted an iconic Orthodox Church - Church of Hagia Sophia -into a mosque.

Of course, the MSM supports Turkey and its Muslims.

Athanasius

Kingfisher
The Blue Mosque is next door and was built after the Turkish conquest to mimic the Hagia Sophia. Islamic agitation to revert the Hagia Sophia to a mosque has been going on for years. The Blue Mosque wasn't drawing a large # of Muslim worshippers, and one of the arguments against reverting the Hagia Sophia was that the Blue Mosque wasn't anywhere near full, so why have another mosque next door. But of course, the push to revert it to mosque status has always been a religious one since Ataturk secularized the country. The Hagia Sophia is an incredible edifice.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Today I attended Divine Liturgy for the first time. Went to a ROCOR church where they had not only the liturgy but a wedding and feast afterward. Not only the service but also the people seriously impressed me. Got to meet a handful of people there and talked to the head priest for a while.

Honestly, I was blown away by the whole experience and can't wait to go back.

DanielH

Woodpecker
Today I attended Divine Liturgy for the first time. Went to a ROCOR church where they had not only the liturgy but a wedding and feast afterward. Not only the service but also the people seriously impressed me. Got to meet a handful of people there and talked to the head priest for a while.

Honestly, I was blown away by the whole experience and can't wait to go back.
Glad you had a good time! My favorite experience ever at church was attending a very small ROCOR mission parish while traveling. The priest was very redpilled and we talked for an hour afterwards about politics and faith with coffee and snacks.

The parishioners were extremely devoted. I've never seen devotion like at slavic Orthodox churches.

I'll honestly by disappointed if Russia doesn't intervene and take back the Hagia Sophia. The city and Church were built by Orthodox Christian Emperors, and it's appalling that Muslims took it over with what amounts to zero meaningful pushback. The Emperors who built that city and Church would have solved the problem immediately.