Church The Orthodox Church

Ranch Hand

Sparrow
Gold Member
Panteleimon said:
In the past few months, I have felt this call to look into the Orthodox Church. I was raised Protestant, but feel like many denominations are being blown around too easily by the winds of societal change. I recently read the Way of the Pilgrim and the Mountain of Silence which really ignited my interest into the Orthodox church. While there is no Orthodox church in my current location, there are some a short drive away. I am starting this thread to get some forum input on what an Orthodox service is like, and what constitutes being an Orthodox believer. I want to show up to my first service knowing what is expected of me. Any website or book recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Panteleimon, I am in a very similar situation for the same reasons. I recently attended an introductory series at a local Orthodox Church. We studied:

A Journey to Fullness
An Introduction to the Fullness of the Original Christian Faith

Father Barnabas Powell

- There is an accompanying video series. Workbook is very simple, does not overly dwell on the intimidating history of Orthodoxy, and is produced by a Greek Orthodox Priest that is also a converted Protestant (I believe Pentecostal) Christian.

National Crusader wrote:

"Being raised in Serbia in a relatively secular family but still having been impacted by Orthodox religious holidays and traditions I became acustomed to this original way of practicing Christiantiy. Priests with big beards, byzanyne style temples with walls covered in frescos, choir singing and priests preaching in Old Church Slavonic that nobody understands, Christmas Day on 7th of January, burning of "badnjak" on Christmas Eve, celebrating "Slava" or family's patron saint all were part of my life. I was mindblowned by the difference between Orthodox and Southern Baptist Christianity (I spent a year in high school in American South). Mega church that looked like a standium, people waving their hands, modern music and flat screen TVs in a "church", normal looking dude or so called "pastor" analyzing Bible verses off of the screen, this is what I encountered. This all seemed unreal to me and I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that these two seemingly completely different factions belonged to the same religion. Traditional Protestant churches in Serbia and other European countries seemed a lot closer to Catholic tradition from my observation, although recently many American style churches have been popping up thanks to the missionary work. "

I had pretty much the opposite reaction:

- The liturgical Orthodox service is entirely new to me and a mystery to behold. Symbolism is deep and clearly meaningful, if difficult to follow. All senses are engaged (even taste as you may be offered bread as a token of friendship even though one should not take communion bread or wine). Honestly, it was overwhelming in some ways, but I am respectful and attracted to the faith. It is a refreshing departure from the un-solemn nature of many modern Christian churches.

My interest in the Orthodox Church largely stems from the commitment that so many believers have so devoutly demonstrated in my life.

A) Consider the dozens of Coptic Christians marched onto the shores of Libya, each man to be beheaded - refusing to simply submit and give the Islamic statement of faith. How many believers have been killed for their faith in recent years? Countless. Still, they hold on to their faith. Respect.

B) I have met 3 women and 1 man from FSU/EE communist countries that all admitted to having been baptized in secret into their Orthodox faith (some not even at birth, but as teenagers). Their parents attended to the matter at various risk or persecution, sneaking into the woods in unauthorized churches, because they had the faith.

Talk about the "Faith of our Fathers."

Kid Twist

Hummingbird
Ranch, keep going.

Among all of our failings, let us pray "That we may complete the remaining time of our lives in peace and repentance."

The days are coming in which many people will be neither at peace, nor be aware that faith exists, true faith being the fruit of repentance.

Cheers

stugatz

Pelican
I was raised Catholic, but the SJW tendencies of the church are getting on my nerves and I stopped going at the beginning of college.

There's a church in my area that gives Latin masses. I don't want to get too far off topic of Orthodox, but are the factions of Roman Catholicism that practice the Tridentine Mass any more conservative? It's the last chance (virtually, anyway) that I'm considering giving the church before I look around at other faiths.

Kid Twist

Hummingbird
Go to an eastern rite (Byzantine) catholic church, stugatz

I'll make the transition easy for you. (-:

It's no coincidence that having centralized power creates institutions that eventually become, like government, "of this world" = SJW

stugatz

Pelican
Kid Twist said:
Go to an eastern rite (Byzantine) catholic church, stugatz

I'll make the transition easy for you. (-:

It's no coincidence that having centralized power creates institutions that eventually become, like government, "of this world" = SJW

Looks like there is a whopping ONE in my entire city! Melkite Greek Catholic Church.

I'll attend a mass, but as an Italian-Slovak it'll be a little awkward...

Moto

Woodpecker
stugatz said:
I was raised Catholic, but the SJW tendencies of the church are getting on my nerves and I stopped going at the beginning of college.

There's a church in my area that gives Latin masses. I don't want to get too far off topic of Orthodox, but are the factions of Roman Catholicism that practice the Tridentine Mass any more conservative? It's the last chance (virtually, anyway) that I'm considering giving the church before I look around at other faiths.

Yes, those who attend the traditional Latin mass will tend to be more conservative. The new pope is definitely running me off from the Church, I'd be tempted to go Orthodox but I live in a Catholic country. The best I can do is try to find masses as traditional as possible. To me, a guitar has no place in a mass. To me, a "novus ordo" mass is more like a campfire kumbaya song than a traditional liturgy.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I need a new church, I was going to a heretical pentacostal church but they are fucking crazy claiming you need to speak in tounges to go to heaven.

I will look for a local orthodox church if there is one. I need a conservative church, I've been to one too many churches where the cucked faggot pastor says "Pray for the refugees" (not that I think the Bible says to hate them, it just seems more prudent to pray for the women they are raping and the victims of their terror crimes.)

I swear, much of Christianity is dead. The other day I fucked a chubby broad with dope pierced tits who claimed to be Christian. Of course, she cherry picked Matthew 7:1 as her favorite part of the Bible:

Matthew 7:1
Judge not, that ye be not judged.

(edit: I realize premartial sex is forbidden in the Bible. Show me a wifeable woman within 25 miles and I'll wife her.)

Kid Twist

Hummingbird
Like morpheus said, "All I offer is the Truth, nothing more."

Especially to us spoiled westerners at this point, the truth indeed means eating that amino acid gruel they had in the "real world"

Each man has to work his own path out, but there is no doubt that temptation and suffering are necessary for spiritual growth

Sorry to bring you down, but again, that's the truth

polar

Pelican
Gold Member
There are some that do English language services. If it's heavily ethnic, you might end up feeling like an adult immigrant never speaking the full language of the environment, unfortunately, but I'm acquainted with a couple of Americans that have stuck through and have become dedicated members of orthodox churches. I don't think anyone would reject you, and once you get past the "trial" phase, you'll be a member of the community.

Kid Twist

Hummingbird
blacknwhitespade said:
How have you guys who converted to the Orthodox church in your adulthood faired socially in the church? It seems almost inaccessible. Protestant-to-Orthodox convert Frank Schaeffer acknowledged the social isolation, lack of fellowship, etc, particularly if you're a new convert, in his Dancing Alone book. They seem almost like ethnic clubs moreso than houses of worship: Serbian Orthodox church, Russian Orthodox, Greek festivals, etc. How do you "break in" if you're not Serbian/Greek/Russian/Assyrian and didn't grow up in the church?

I am sad to say this is a fair criticism due to the more modern history of eastern orthodoxy and in a sense, the balkanization of it via the occupation of the Ottoman Turks and subsequent diaspora to new lands, which are obviously the ones to which you refer. I stress a lot that working this kind of thing out (even being a "cradle" member with others members that are difficult) is part of the noble struggle, but that does little I realize, often for those who should be more carefully guided in their beginning steps. My recommendation would be to go to those jurisdictions which are most "friendly" to converts and pan-orthodox congregations, which are typically OCA and Antiochian archdioceses. With younger, solid priests the Greek Orthodox can be great, but also can be very difficult.

I'm also sad to say that generally speaking in the West, the culture and wealth have come real close to extinguishing an overwhelming majority of real faith, and this of course includes the Orthodox. So many of our people are woefully [un]aware of its faith, practice and the pearls and profundity of its teaching. When the boomer + generation of ethnics pass (you see they were that normal part of society before the full onset of cultural marxism and feminism), there will no doubt be a lot of empty churches. The GOA is very aware of this, which makes their insistence on using archaic koine greek for so long, a real tragedy. I have some knowledge of it, and I appreciate it to a degree, but I also know the exact words of the liturgies in English so I'd know it anyway. Apart from it being canon law to use the local language, it really is another tragedy to contemplate how many people might have been lost having been utterly clueless about the beauty and depth that were in the words they couldn't understand ...

stugatz

Pelican
Attended a Tridentine mass this morning to get my feet wet. There was a dress code!

I am absolutely floored - women dressing like hoes during the service (low key or high key) has been a very constant thing I've gotten used to over the years. If a mass in Latin is like this, I am officially excited to attend my local Melkite service.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
stugatz said:
Attended a Tridentine mass this morning to get my feet wet. There was a dress code!

I am absolutely floored - women dressing like hoes during the service (low key or high key) has been a very constant thing I've gotten used to over the years. If a mass in Latin is like this, I am officially excited to attend my local Melkite service.

I was going to a pentacostal church and they harshly encouraged the women to cover their heads with a hat and wear a skirt or dress. A big part of the importance of religion is controlling women (hypergamy etc.)

stugatz

Pelican
The head coverings were cloth scarves here.

I don't speak Latin, but the women being modest encouraged me to pay much closer attention even in a setting like that. There is also no overly distracting social stuff during the service (the sign of peace is all too often just an excuse to quickly hit on the cute girl in the pew in front of you, or for inappropriate PDA from mom and dad).

Oh, and during communion the priest didn't have lackeys signed up for the week handing out the wafers. That was all him, and he placed it directly in your mouth - implying that the body of Christ was too sacred for you to touch.

Not that I believe everything he is saying; however, the West seems to be going to hell. I think the Orthodox Church is one of the main reasons Eastern Europe is in better shape culturally and morally than the West. Without the traditional Church, it seems that things degrade to animalism and Third World dog eat dog (including government). If anybody has experience joining the Orthodox Church, it would be interesting to hear.

"Catholics follow authority too blindly, while Protestants refuse to organize around any authority at all." -BS Catholicism has been undermined

stugatz

Pelican
MikeMcLaren said:
Francis who is similar to Obama. St. John Paul the Great was the last true pope.

Did you not like Benedict very much? He might not have been pope for long, but he was pretty strongly conservative and brought back acceptable use of a lot of traditions (like the Tridentine mass I attended the other day).

I honestly don't remember much about him - just that he was pretty openly conservative and didn't give a tinker's damn about how uncool it would make the church look.