The Orthodox Survival Course By Father Seraphim Rose

Aboulia

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Where was the “insult”?

Seraphim Rose was a homosexual and a perennialist was he not?

The fact of the matter is, he became interested in “Orthodoxy” via his Russian Orthodox male lover and together they founded a gay hermitage in San Francisco with some rather unorthodox ideas and bizarre practices. I’m sure this is embarrassing because the unpleasant reality doesn’t square with the image of “Seraphim” Rose that you wish to project. But don’t people deserve to have the full picture of who this alleged “gift from God for Christians living in the modern globohomo West” is?

Care to attack St Mary of Egypt next? Would you like to delve into her depravities that she ran from once she came to the truth?

Blade Runner

Ostrich
Orthodox
It is hard for us humans to not look for the ideal in others, or be affected by expectations not met. But isn't this way of thinking also an inversion? It shows us that we have tendencies to put our faith in men more than the almighty God, focusing on leaders of this world (in whatever role they may serve) instead of on God.

Honesty about what man is and his striving to defeat his frailties should be just as important. But some of us, unfortunately, would rather tear down than build, and focusing on a sinful past is quite an easy way to do it. Some of us even do this to ourselves.

Let's be better - which really only is being honest, repenting and moving forward with God - not somehow considering our strides morally better, but better in that we are trying to live with God. Isn't that what life is really about?

All of our idols, human, ethereal, or mental --- will pass away.

Pray for me that I may repent, as well. These are trying times and we all need to pray for one another.

Ever noticed, that the Amish are the only Christians that are not trash talking other denominations in a spirit of sectarian pride, but have a ton of kids and healthy communities?
The Amish also don't cry about being victims of a zionist conspiracy...
Compare Roman Catholics, Eastern/Oriental Orthodox, Lutherans, Calvinists etc to the Amish...they all are whiny suckers in comparison, incl. myself (Evangelical Protestant).
Now, do I think, we all have to become Amish? No. But you can actually learn one or two things from them. The Amish are neither obsessed with history and who is to blame for what nor do they cry about wicked men with small hats having control over them.

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
Now, do I think, we all have to become Amish? No. But you can actually learn one or two things from them. The Amish are neither obsessed with history and who is to blame for what nor do they cry about wicked men with small hats having control over them.
I think you're on to something about the blame game.

My opinion is that God-loving people need to stick together, as there are relatively few of us compared to the dark ones and there's strength in numbers. Yes, we have our differences in interpretation due to understanding, life experience, birthplace, and other factors, but I believe we should focus on what we have in common - a love for God and a seeking to live with love in our hearts.

stugatz

Pelican
Ever noticed, that the Amish are the only Christians that are not trash talking other denominations in a spirit of sectarian pride, but have a ton of kids and healthy communities?
The Amish also don't cry about being victims of a zionist conspiracy...
Compare Roman Catholics, Eastern/Oriental Orthodox, Lutherans, Calvinists etc to the Amish...they all are whiny suckers in comparison, incl. myself (Evangelical Protestant).
You want a funny anecdote? I rode a Greyhound through the Midwest once, and when about 25 Amish got on halfway through Wisconsin, everyone got REALLY quiet, and I didn't hear a peep for the rest of the ride outside of Pennsylvania Dutch. The Amish have this strength-in-numbers presence that clearly unsettles average people.

I think we can take a page from that, obviously - but the Amish have been an insular subculture for a very long time, and speak their own language to make sure it stays that way. It would be hard to get people motivated to do it.

(It would be so boss if there was some kind of Latin language revival, though.)

Blade Runner

Ostrich
Orthodox
One can learn much from them, but they have their own identity which for obvious reasons, is limited and inward. They make it a point to separate themselves from the world. While that may be for some, it's not for all. This world is a tricky place, indeed.

For Meister Eckhart Gelassenheit was an important principle. Today that word means calmness/serenity/tranquility, but he meant to let (lassen) go your desires, even the desire to seek God and by that the emptiness inside you makes room for the birth of God in you. The Amish seem to live like that.

Mountaineer

Ostrich
Gold Member
We all have eyes to see and the Amish are visible to us. We are free to see their virtue. That is enough for us to draw conclusions. There are a lot more things in this world deserving critique than the Amish.

(It would be so boss if there was some kind of Latin language revival, though.)
But latin was never the vernacular language of anyone except for ancient romans and many of them probably spoke some italian dialect (I don't know the history of the italian language). Dante, Llull and Meister Eckhart are known for writing in their vernacular language, which was very original in their days. In the middle ages latin was the official language of the elite, but it was not spoken by the average folks.

stugatz

Pelican
But latin was never the vernacular language of anyone except for ancient romans and many of them probably spoke some italian dialect (I don't know the history of the italian language). Dante, Llull and Meister Eckhart are known for writing in their vernacular language, which was very original in their days. In the middle ages latin was the official language of the elite, but it was not spoken by the average folks.
I more used that as a language example Christian communities could adopt to have their own way of communicating - I'm pretty sure Latin wouldn't be the only one. It probably would be for traditionalist Catholics.

I more used that as a language example Christian communities could adopt to have their own way of communicating - I'm pretty sure Latin wouldn't be the only one. It probably would be for traditionalist Catholics.
I'm somehow bigotted against latin. As a traditionalist catholic, you should actually learn it to understand the words of the liturgy, because there is a lot of theology in it.