The Oscars Thread

Oscars Ratings Might Have Hit an All-Time Low—but That’s Not a Sign of Doom
Yes, ratings are crucial—especially to advertisers. But let’s look at the big picture here.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/03/oscars-2018-ratings-all-time-low

Indeed - because who cares if ever less people watch it, but at least the propaganda is great.

emma-watson-times-up-tattoo-1520250863.jpg

Emma Watson going full batshit crazy with a current-year-feminazi tattoo!

questor70

Banned
GoingTheDistance said:
I really think people should be able to make movies however they want to and let the audience decide what they like or don't like.

The problem is that because of social media people are less interested in the essence of sitting down to watch a movie and are more interested in virtue signalling that this or that movie is "woke" and gives the middle-finger to "the man".

Since women in particular thrive on drama they are as addicted to online arguments with the haters as nerds are in arguing whether the Enterprise could beat a Star Destroyer. They feed off the drama. That's why they will go out of their way to pump up mediocre product (like Female Ghostbusters) or hold stuff up to a microscope to find signs of things that aren't suitably "woke" (you know, Wonder Woman not having hairy armpits or being too maternal around babies).

So it's the film snob in me that is bothered by the controversy surrounding movies becoming the main event rather than the movie itself. That this has bubbled all the way up to the Oscars is sad. The Oscars should be more of an objective measure of a film's artistic merit and not just an ideological litmust test.

The meta-discussion about the movie industry and the calls for some sort of enforced affirmative action are just the next logical step on this chain of veering farther and farther away from film or TV as an artform and as, like I said it, the nexus of a political/ideological culture-war.

I wonder whether this whole thing will be discussed in Spielberg's Ready: Player One because that setting demonstrates what happens to a society that can ONLY view the world through the lens of pop culture. Then again, Spielberg self-identifies only as "the guy who is married to Kate Capshaw" (last acting role, 2002). The Cuckening continues apace.

There are certainly people out there today who care far more about Wonder Woman's armpits than the actual plight of real women.

Women have become a new brand of geek that is just as addicted to media as the male nerds, but only as far as they can use it as a springboard for SJW activism and triggerings.

I think what really hurt the academy awards was that the list of nominees was pretty lackluster. Most of the films I had never even heard of. Dunkirk and Get Out being the only two. This year was definitely lacking the usual big budget Scorsese-type films the people want to see. Instead, we got the small, indie type films that basically got no promotion from the studios.

Rush87

Hummingbird
Catholic
So now Basic Horrors like Get Out are winning academy awards simply for points out Liberals think blacks are trendy? Okay. Setting the bar high fellas.

Days of Broken Arrows

Crow
Gold Member
Follow the money. The heavy-handed infusion of politics into the Oscars probably had more to do with the movie industry trying to maintain some sense of importance than with anyone there actually giving a f*ck.

According to the year-end wrap-up in Variety, box office returns are down, investors are getting upset, and Hollywood is becoming irrelevant. Here is the important quote:

“The tide has moved against movies. They used to be the hub of what entertainment is, but that core has shifted to streaming and television. Back in the day people talked about ‘Back to the Future’ or ‘E.T.’ when they talked about entertainment. Today, it’s ‘Stranger Things’ or ‘Game of Thrones.'”

The articles doesn't discuss Hollywood's back catalog, so I'll add my own two cents.

Today's actors don't seem to realize that practically the entire history of film and TV is at most people's fingertips. So, if audiences are disinterested or disgusted with the current crop of dumbed-down, globally-focused fare, they can just say "Hey, I think I'll check out Clint Eastwood's entire catalog" or "I think I'll watch every episode of my favorite obscure '90s show" and they'll be busy for months.

We no longer have to go to Blockbuster and bring home clunky VHS tapes or DVDs. With a few mouse clicks, we can get pretty much anything we want.

I saw the music industry crumble partially because of this. When downloading came around, people disgusted with new music realized they could bone up on all the old artists whose work they never fully explored. And the industry never recovered.

So, campaigns like #metoo and #timesup may be the new way Hollywood keeps itself in the news. Because films about women screwing fish and two boys in love sure aren't gonna get the average person to take notice.

Atlanta Man

Ostrich
Gold Member
Zelcorpion said:
Yes, ratings are crucial—especially to advertisers. But let’s look at the big picture here.

Indeed - because who cares if ever less people watch it, but at least the propaganda is great.

"Emma Watson displayed some new ink at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party but social media users pointed out the tattoo’s glaring grammatical error.

The “Harry Potter” star showed off a tattoo that read “Times Up” on her arm -- clearly missing the apostrophe for the organization Time's Up.

It was not immediately clear if the tattoo was real. People reported the tattoo could be temporary."

I hope it is temporary, you know how I feel about tattoos on women-especially grammatically incorrect ones....

Coja Petrus Uscan

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I've been downloading these guys warez for about two decades, since the days when it took a week to download a 500MB DivX 3 film over Kazza. I had been planning on spending a few thousand dollars on buying the best ones once I'm settled. But as things have gone I'm currently thinking about purging every film and series from my mostly full 8TB media drive.

After the big boom in TV series starting about 7-8 years ago, everyone I know has been watching a lot of series, up until about a year ago. Now I don't know anyone who watches anything - films or series. The last time I watched anything was when I though I might have been dying in a 3rd world country. That's about the only opening I have in my life now for deranged Hollywood pedophiles.

When I was younger the whole spectrum of visual entertainment was more positive, light, aspiration... Mr. T., Shawshank, Back to The Future, T2, Indiana Jones; most of the cartoons were about strong men crushing evil mummies and space invaders. Now the industry has been so shrouded in fake liberalism that Hollywood conservatives have to have their own secret society, pretty much everything they put out is dark, depressing, nihilistic, full of weird sex shit, killing of the innocent and jackboots stomping on the human face over and over again, forever.

And this is stuff made by people who set themselves up as paragons of virtue. Forgive me if I find your constant pandering and accusations the only way you have to deal with your Weinstein-level sicknesses. I know one guy who is very left and he's recommended lots of films, like those of pedophiles Roman Polanski and Woody Allen; he's recommended films about incest, gay Nazis, rape, torture and all David Lynch's weird, depressing mulch. And this seems to be the standard fare and seen as so progressive and artistic by the left. Another guy I no longer speak to who has become a social justice warrior has darkly recommended a film about a man dressed in a rabbit costume who brutally kills a young, female hitchhiker; and The Human Centipede. He now spends a lot of time watching weird stuff like this. He pulls the soy grimace.

I've never minded extreme violence, as long as it's the bad guys getting taken out:

dKMAhl.gif

But these fake liberal psychos have a thing with choking out beautiful women, incest, satanism and all manner of degeneracy. So, Hollywoood, Time's Up, I'm out.

Days of Broken Arrows

Crow
Gold Member
Atlanta Man said:
Zelcorpion said:

"Emma Watson displayed some new ink at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party but social media users pointed out the tattoo’s glaring grammatical error.

The “Harry Potter” star showed off a tattoo that read “Times Up” on her arm -- clearly missing the apostrophe for the organization Time's Up.

It was not immediately clear if the tattoo was real. People reported the tattoo could be temporary."

I hope it is temporary, you know how I feel about tattoos on women-especially grammatically incorrect ones....

She graduated from Brown University but didn't know that "time's up" needed an apostrophe.

I couldn't think of a better symbol of the state of American education than that.

griffinmill

Pelican
griffinmill said:
questor70 said:
griffinmill said:
Ten years ago a woman made a masterpiece called Fish Tank that barely caused a ripple.

IMHO, the best movie directed by a woman is Fast Times at Ridgemont High from Amy Heckerling. Won no awards. What are the odds of a female director making a movie like that these days?

giphy-downsized.gif

It neither glorified nor demonized male or female sexuality. It just laid it out there as it was, messy, complicated, contradictory, confusing, frustrating.

Fast Times is a great film! You're right. In a lot of those 80s teen films there was messy, complicated stuff happening, but with no judgment or infantile moralising. Last American Virgin is another example of no-judgement film.

Meadowlark

Hummingbird
Gold Member
gework said:
I've been downloading these guys warez for about two decades, since the days when it took a week to download a 500MB DivX 3 film over Kazza. I had been planning on spending a few thousand dollars on buying the best ones once I'm settled. But as things have gone I'm currently thinking about purging every film and series from my mostly full 8TB media drive.

I think my first pir8 movie was Beverly Hill's Cop 3 (VCD with chinese subs) which took at least 2 WEEKS to completely fetch both 650 MB files, using a long dead network called "hotline". This had to be 1999 at the latest.

Nowadays the newsgroups are still lively with many alt.bin groups having millions of GBs of movies and TV shows, including some things that don't exist to buy like Disney's Song Of The South (racist? GTFO) or the Beatles "Let It Be" (since they look bad fighting as the band was breaking apart). If you want a "legit" copy of either of those you'll pay through the nose on eBay for the only legitimate releases on LaserDisc.

Also check out your local library, I rent and rip BluRays all the time. I usually don't keep the movie files unless it's something worth watching twice.

griffinmill said:
griffinmill said:
questor70 said:
griffinmill said:
Ten years ago a woman made a masterpiece called Fish Tank that barely caused a ripple.

IMHO, the best movie directed by a woman is Fast Times at Ridgemont High from Amy Heckerling. Won no awards. What are the odds of a female director making a movie like that these days?

giphy-downsized.gif

It neither glorified nor demonized male or female sexuality. It just laid it out there as it was, messy, complicated, contradictory, confusing, frustrating.

Fast Times is a great film! You're right. In a lot of those 80s teen films there was messy, complicated stuff happening, but with no judgment or infantile moralising. Last American Virgin is another example of no-judgement film.

There was this film I caught some of recently called "The way, way back" that has some of the 80s white teen flick.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727388/

No doubt the title is a reference to how things used to be "way, way back" in the day.

Roger Ebert website called the scene in the trailer above "problematic".

YossariansRight

Ostrich
Gold Member
DJ-Matt said:
gework said:

I think my first pir8 movie was Beverly Hill's Cop 3 (VCD with chinese subs) which took at least 2 WEEKS to completely fetch both 650 MB files, using a long dead network called "hotline". This had to be 1999 at the latest.

Nowadays the newsgroups are still lively with many alt.bin groups having millions of GBs of movies and TV shows, including some things that don't exist to buy like Disney's Song Of The South (racist? GTFO) or the Beatles "Let It Be" (since they look bad fighting as the band was breaking apart). If you want a "legit" copy of either of those you'll pay through the nose on eBay for the only legitimate releases on LaserDisc.

Also check out your local library, I rent and rip BluRays all the time. I usually don't keep the movie files unless it's something worth watching twice.

Try finding an uncut version of “Scarface”, with this scene: Tony Montana and gang almost get caught putting the bomb under the journalist's car and a cop asks them what they’re doing and Montana answers (paraphrasing because I haven’t actually seen this scene in 20+ years): “I'm looking for my kid's dog. Dey gonna kill me if I doan find it.” The cop tells him to check the dog pound, and Montana answers: “Is dat where they chop up the animals?”.

So non-PC I guess. Gag.

Libraries - PREACH! I haven't bought music or movies since the second Clinton term/first GWB term. Burn away.

RE: Oscars. I honestly haven’t heard of ANY of these movies.

I haven’t been to the movies in going on two years. I also haven’t had cable in going on two years either. I’m done funding these semi-literate assclowns and their ridiculous “causes”.

RIslander

Banned
PapayaTapper said:
I quit watching this charade in 1994 when Pulp fiction lost to Forrest Gump. Thats when I there was no integrity in the selection process.

And now?

They need to change the name of the thing from Oscars or Academy Awards to what they really are...The VSO's....Virtue Signalling Olympics

I fucking hate Forrest Gump. What a stupid ass movie.

griffinmill

Pelican
RIslander said:
PapayaTapper said:
I quit watching this charade in 1994 when Pulp fiction lost to Forrest Gump. Thats when I there was no integrity in the selection process.

And now?

They need to change the name of the thing from Oscars or Academy Awards to what they really are...The VSO's....Virtue Signalling Olympics

Here's my take on Forest Gump. It's actually a pretty Conservative flick. The smartest guy in the room is the retard. He loves God, goes to Vietnam, buys Apple stock and comes out a winner. The hippy scum are not cognitively impaired but end up wallowing in their own filth.

griffinmill said:
RIslander said:
PapayaTapper said:

And now?

Here's my take on Forest Gump. It's actually a pretty Conservative flick. The smartest guy in the room is the retard. He loves God, goes to Vietnam, buys Apple stock and comes out a winner. The hippy scum are not cognitively impaired but end up wallowing in their own filth.

Yeah, I like Forrest Gump too.

Days of Broken Arrows said:
Atlanta Man said:
Zelcorpion said:

She graduated from Brown University but didn't know that "time's up" needed an apostrophe.

I couldn't think of a better symbol of the state of American education than that.

:laugh:

MidJack

Woodpecker
Zelcorpion said:

Every time Ben Shapiro is being reasonable and convincing he tries to sneak a not-so-subtle manipulation on you. "I could have gotten on the Trump train and made a lot of money, but I didn't because I have integrity" is a funny way of saying you were the opposition and decided to white-knight for some journo-thot.

Then of course, out of the untold thousands of movies that have ever been made, he has to invoke Schindler's List.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
nomadbrah said:
griffinmill said:
RIslander said:
PapayaTapper said:

And now?

Yeah, I like Forrest Gump too.

Forrest Gump is a great movie and deserved fifty Oscar awards.

Aloha!