The Owen Benjamin Thread

KoolDoon

Banned
Protestant
I enjoyed Owen at first. His rants against the Trinity was a step too far. I tolerated his rabid anti-Reformed stance, since he failed to rant against the actual theology. He is very influenced by Vox, who is a modalist and open theist.

They both have done some great things, but are so heterodox that I take much of their perspectives with a grain on salt.
I thought, the Vox Day Church affirms the Trinity. Open Theism...urrghhh.

Gazeebo

Pigeon
Orthodox
As Owen was in the (((entertainment bizz))) and got to see a lot of the degeneracy first hand I really enjoyed the pieces he did exposing some of the pedo’s of Hollywood and how they pray on people especially the young.
I agree. He had some good takes long ago about these issues but since the last time I heard him speak those moments have been scarse at best.

I wish someone like him the best because he has a great opportunity to assist many folks in the right direction but it seems that it's really just about him. Maybe the past 6 months have changed that.

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
If Owen were pro Zionist kosher, went on fully funded excursions to Israel and came back tweeting God bless Israel I’d confidently wager a lot of posters here would be doing mental cartwheels excusing his Christian blasphemy and explaining why he is good for the “right”.
I'd say 99% of the Bears would copy him and start saying "Well they actually are our greatest ally. You're just a gamma male if you don't love Israel."

Kadikoy

Banned
Orthodox
who is a modalist and open theist
Quote? Citation? I'm not saying you're incorrect, but I know Vox to play his cards very, very close to his chest when it comes to his theological views. I've been reading him pretty regularly since 2008/2009 and can only remember him speaking to the specifics of Christian theology a handful of times. The last time he did on his blog, and he professed some non-Trinitarian beliefs, was 4-5 years ago I think.

4-5 years is a long time and many of us have changed our beliefs about God, etc., over the past 4-5 years. I think Vox has earned the benefit of the doubt. He also may have changed his mind in recent years. I think it's very difficult to know what he really believes nowadays, in terms of Christian theology.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Kadikoy

Banned
Orthodox
I'm may be misremembering the modalist thing. I remember a Darkstream where I was left thinking he was. He never used the term.

But anti-Trinity, alas confirmed yes. https://voxday.net/2012/03/31/false-doctrine-of-trinity/
Ok, you just posted this as I was writing my previous post.

I will just say this: it is highly likely Vox has changed his stance since... 2012. That's a long time. Many of us have changed our beliefs in that timeframe as well. Vox is notoriously averse to speaking about Christian theology on his blog and has been for many years... since 2012 it seems. He had been assiduous about avoiding intra-Christian bickering in his comments section of his blog. I don't know about recently though, as his Blogger blog got axed and the new site has no comments section.

Either way, he has made several statements in recent years that he will not share the details of his Christian beliefs. I would gather it is highly likely those beliefs have changed since 2012, like they have for a great many of us.

SaintThomas

Pigeon
Protestant
Ok, you just posted this as I was writing my previous post.

I will just say this: it is highly likely Vox has changed his stance since... 2012. That's a long time. Many of us have changed our beliefs in that timeframe as well. Vox is notoriously averse to speaking about Christian theology on his blog and has been for many years... since 2012 it seems. He had been assiduous about avoiding intra-Christian bickering in his comments section of his blog. I don't know about recently though, as his Blogger blog got axed and the new site has no comments section.

Either way, he has made several statements in recent years that he will not share the details of his Christian beliefs. I would gather it is highly likely those beliefs have changed since 2012, like they have for a great many of us.
I understand your hesitation to believe my statement about Vox. He's a very admirable person, but he has maintained his open theism and denial of the Trinity, which I think has influence on the rest of his philosophy. And why wouldn't it? What we believe of the Maker of Everything would certainly be reflected in our lesser beliefs

For a more recent example affirming open theism, here is a clip from Darkstream 480 a couple years ago. Go to about 13:21. .

For his denial of the Trinity, a more recent example is here:

And in 2020:. https://voxday.net/2020/03/07/mailvox-maybe-i-do-have-a-point/

(Confirmed me being incorrect about him being a modalist; Jesus is not even God in human form in his description in the video)

Unfortunately he is no longer publicly available by video, so I can't go to the Darkstreams from last year where he stated these things again. But, I'd ask you believe my memory on that.

I like Vox, a lot; but I interpret him understanding his heterodox theological positions. I think Owen highly esteems Vox, for good reason, but was not quite equipped with discernment, being a self described new Christian.

Last edited:

KoolDoon

Banned
Protestant
I understand your hesitation to believe my statement about Vox. He's a very admirable person, but he has maintained his open theism and denial of the Trinity, which I think has influence on the rest of his philosophy. And why wouldn't it? What we believe of the Maker of Everything would certainly be reflected in our lesser beliefs

For a more recent example affirming open theism, here is a clip from Darkstream 480 a couple years ago. Go to about 13:21. .

For his denial of the Trinity, a more recent example is here:

And in 2020:. https://voxday.net/2020/03/07/mailvox-maybe-i-do-have-a-point/

(Confirmed me being incorrect about him being a modalist; Jesus is not even God in human form in his description in the video)

Unfortunately he is no longer publicly available by video, so I can't go to the Darkstreams from last year where he stated these things again. But, I'd ask you believe my memory on that.

I like Vox, a lot; but I interpret him understanding his heterodox theological positions. I think Owen highly esteems Vox, for good reason, but was not quite equipped with discernment, being a self described new Christian.

I could swear I once was on site of the Vox Day Church and they affirmed the Trinity. There is a Vox Day Church, right? Has anyone the link to the website? Or am I totally confused now and it was the site of voxchurch which is sth. else?

SaintThomas

Pigeon
Protestant
I could swear I once was on site of the Vox Day Church and they affirmed the Trinity. There is a Vox Day Church, right? Has anyone the link to the website? Or am I totally confused now and it was the site of voxchurch which is sth. else?
Never heard of it myself. But I just don't know. I was a die hard Darkstream listener for the past few years until earlier this year; I don't remember him mentioning it.

Good_Shepherd

Woodpecker
Other Christian
Definately one of the good guys, I like that he lives on a farm and has a family and animals, i watched one of his shows and his kids walk in and the piano is being played in the background and goats are going BAH BAH during the stream, this is real life people need to see what family is all about, If you want to have your faith tested nothing wilk test is and grow you morr than getting married and having kids you need more faith to trust God for your family than to move a mountains

jamdef

Banned
Protestant
I just saw a video where Owen Benjamin denies that Jesus died on the cross, and don't know how to interpret it. He literally said "If you want to call me a blasphemer, go ahead." Was he really blaspheming? Or was this just shorthand for a nuanced interpretation that God does not die, so Jesus only died in mortal form?

I think Owen is getting prideful, enjoying attention from making controversial heterodox interpretations of the bible. Owen then literally compared his Youtube banning to Jesus's persecution.

Turretin

Banned
Protestant
I just saw a video where Owen Benjamin denies that Jesus died on the cross, and don't know how to interpret it. He literally said "If you want to call me a blasphemer, go ahead." Was he really blaspheming? Or was this just shorthand for a nuanced interpretation that God does not die, so Jesus only died in mortal form?

I think Owen is getting prideful, enjoying attention from making controversial heterodox interpretations of the bible. Owen then literally compared his Youtube banning to Jesus's persecution.
He constantly mocks biblical Christology and the Trinity. That is his thing. He does not believe what any major Christian tradition believes. To be fair, he admits that he has no clue, but it is still blasphemy.

Turretin

Banned
Protestant
He is clueless in regards to what Christianity is and unfortunately, his “bear” community laps up everything he says.
Do you have evidence that they adopt his views on these matters? Or what do you mean by lap up? Some people can listen to someone and agree and disagree. That is how it works for me with everyone I listen to.

Jive Turkey

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Do not insult
Do you have evidence that they adopt his views on these matters? Or what do you mean by lap up? Some people can listen to someone and agree and disagree. That is how it works for me with everyone I listen to.
I would say just go watch his videos and read the comments. In my opinion Owen Benjamin is a charismatic narcissist and even people who are not particularly weak minded are liable to get drawn into his orbit. He has Ivy League parents and Hollywood training. He is a sorcerer of the first degree and very in love with himself from what I can tell.

Turretin

Banned
Protestant
I would say just go watch his videos and read the comments. In my opinion Owen Benjamin is a charismatic narcissist and even people who are not particularly weak minded are liable to get drawn into his orbit. He has Ivy League parents and Hollywood training. He is a sorcerer of the first degree and very in love with himself from what I can tell.
He speaks about his dad being a professor manipulating people. He left Hollywood and its money, so I don't hold his time in Hollywood against him. He motivates people to start families, which is good. If he would pretend to be a studied theologian, I would have a greater problem with his statements, but he says that people should not get their theology from him and he thinks it is good that his kids go to church.
His statements are wrong, but there is no deceptive plan behind it. And what he says is that dumb that it isn't even worth to spend much time and anger on it. It sounds like the parody of a mormon-muslim-jehova's witness. It used to anger me, but now I just ignore it.