The Ron DeSantis Thread

There are a lot of businesses that arent running at full capacity because of a manpower shortage. Manpower shortage is because many people especially younger, are making more from "gubment" handouts than working. No dole means they have to go back to work.

Totally false which is clear from the data and economy. Republicans are doing the same thing the covids did: stop collecting numbers then claim success when the numbers go down. Florida is in a deep recession, as is the rest of the country.

How exactly are freelancers on pandemic insurance supposed to go "find a job?" Rs haven't thought about it because they're as dumb as the Ds.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
Totally false which is clear from the data and economy. Republicans are doing the same thing the covids did: stop collecting numbers then claim success when the numbers go down. Florida is in a deep recession, as is the rest of the country.

How exactly are freelancers on pandemic insurance supposed to go "find a job?" Rs haven't thought about it because they're as dumb as the Ds.
Citation please?

Citation please?

State and regional data...

Unemployment just ticked back up to 5%, even though they cut federal. Not exactly a "recovery" number, now is it? Why would it go back up after they decided to cut the Fed's unemployment everyone is saying people are milking? By cutting the federal, they'll suck 20% to 30% out of their already recession level economy (inferred through the national numbers on money being spent).

Then compare the state labor force participation since 2000, GDP from 2020, and regional quits. Like the rest of the country, people are just walking away from their jobs. Translation: those people won't get unemployment but they still are quitting in record-setting numbers....with record setting unemployment.

Think this through: if the economy is booming there...why can't those businesses raise rates to attract workers? Easy answer. There is no boom and no one, not even crybaby business owners, believe the big numbers are real (because in context, they aren't).

Edit: I'll say it again this will decisively cost DeSantis re-election by unleashing depressionary forces in the state. The hotels are STILL down -10% yoy in a place where tourism is 90% of everything.

dicknixon72

Pelican
Edit: I'll say it again this will decisively cost DeSantis re-election by unleashing depressionary forces in the state. The hotels are STILL down -10% yoy in a place where tourism is 90% of everything.

Business around here are raising starting wages to attract employees.

Legit question - do you live in Florida and which part? Not trying to dox or call-out - and no obligation to answer - but I'm curious where your perspective originates from.

Business around here are raising starting wages to attract employees.

Legit question - do you live in Florida and which part? Not trying to dox or call-out - and no obligation to answer - but I'm curious where your perspective originates from.

I'd prefer not to say where I live currently but I do business and travel extensively in the state, as well as having grown up there. I know its business and housing market like the back of my hand. It's a weird love-hate relationship though as I'm sure you can imagine.

Some businesses, very few, are raising rates, but it won't matter. By my guess more than half the small businesses (the ones that are left) are on life support.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
I gotta say...Im diggin this cat more and more

“I’m proud to sign three bills today that prioritize civics education in our schools,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “The sad reality is that only two in five Americans can correctly name the three branches of government, and more than a third of Americans cannot name any of the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment. It is abundantly clear that we need to do a much better job of educating our students in civics to prepare them for the rest of their lives. My thanks to Representative Zika, Representative Rizo, Representative Roach, Senator Ray Rodrigues, Senator Ana Maria Rodriguez and Senator Diaz for sponsoring this legislation that will ensure our students get an incredible civics education. I also want to thank President Simpson and Speaker Sprowls for making this important legislation a priority.”

Sorely need this to go national

Last edited:

Easy_C

Peacock

This is why I have trouble taking Armstrong seriously and probably will stop reading him. You don't get unemployment if you quit your job. This is like business 101. Because of this he can't put two and two together. 20 calls? Think about that number. 20...with 5% unemployment. What a flood of people trying to stay on the dole! I remember in 2008, we'd get 1000s of calls per open position.

Easy_C

Peacock
In theory. I’ve run across plenty of posts on Reddit of people who have found ways of doing just that, or claim to be.

I assume that works the same way as how “illegals don’t get welfare benefits”.

Last edited:

scorpion

Hummingbird
Gold Member

Most relevant quote...

This is a big mistake on his part and will cost him re-election, at which time he will fade from the national stage.

DeSantis will cruise to re-election, especially considering his opponent is likely to be either Charlie Crist (the former Republican-turned Democrat Governor who is not liked or trusted by voters on either side of the aisle) or Nikki Fried (a plastic surgery-addled, South Florida Jewess who is currently the state agricultural commissioner and who literally looks like The Joker). Neither have anything to offer in a race against a sitting Governor who has inarguably demonstrated himself to be the most competent politician in the country.

And the reality is that ending the federal unemployment benefits is absolutely the right call, especially in a state like Florida that is so reliant on tourism. Hotels, restaurants, theme parks and other attractions need workers, and they can't get them if those people are sitting around at home collecting Joe Biden's COVID welfare handouts. Handing out money does not create wealth. Work creates wealth. People need to get back to work for the economy and society to return to normal.

Thomas More

Hummingbird

Would it make the economy even stronger if they gave an extra $1000 a week to unemployed people indefinitely, and a lot more people stopped working and stayed home? This seems counter-intuitive to me.

Easy_C

Peacock
Both aren't mutually exclusive. Florida probably is in a recession because of the sheer amount of damage caused to small businesses, but throwing out money isn't necessarily going to create a boom because you're inflating the economy and without new business creation most of that cash merely enriches big box marts + equivalent online retailers.

Rotten

Robin
Tourism is indeed booming in Florida, especially the northern part of the state. All areas are crowded with the types of midwestern and other tourists that you would normally see on cruise ships

And the reality is that ending the federal unemployment benefits is absolutely the right call, especially in a state like Florida that is so reliant on tourism.

Perhaps you missed my comment regarding the hotel's still being in double digit negative traffic. Just last month hotels were down -25% traffic yoy. This is the best we're going to see. There is no boom, there isn't any shortage of labor.

Care to make a friendly bet about DeSantis vs Crist? The new polling numbers are in your favor, although not to the extent I'd imagine given his performance over the past year. Most of you like him as a national figure but know nothing about Florida.

Would it make the economy even stronger if they gave an extra $1000 a week to unemployed people indefinitely, and a lot more people stopped working and stayed home? This seems counter-intuitive to me.

Whether we want to accept it or not, a large percentage of national spending is now government money. That money is barely keeping things afloat. I believe it accounted for 30% of all dollars spent in 2020. If you remove that you will get deflation on an epic scale. 1m people (the majority of whom aren't part of the regular labor force) are about to be thrust into a job market which totally sucks...and that will hurt DeSantis political. Ds are already using the Miami condo to smear him...wait until he tanks what's left of the state economy.

It's an easy win to keep the unemployment but Rs want to claim a victory which anyone can see through...you can't honestly claim victory over unemployment when you just kicked everyone off of it and everyone dropped out of the labor force.

scorpion

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Perhaps you missed my comment regarding the hotel's still being in double digit negative traffic. Just last month hotels were down -25% traffic yoy. This is the best we're going to see. There is no boom, there isn't any shortage of labor.

Care to make a friendly bet about DeSantis vs Crist? The new polling numbers are in your favor, although not to the extent I'd imagine given his performance over the past year. Most of you like him as a national figure but know nothing about Florida.

Numbers are down because the economy is still recovering in Florida just like it is everywhere else. And there is definitely a shortage of labor at the low end of the scale. Just this past week I walked into a restaurant and was told it was a 25 minute wait despite half the restaurant being empty. When I asked the hostess what was going on she explained that they were short-staffed in the kitchen and could only handle about half their usual volume.

I have no interest in making wagers. I'm just giving my perspective on things, which is all I ever do here. Could be right, could be wrong. We'll see how things play out. My posts are worth exactly what you paid to read them, and come with no promises or guarantees. But as a someone who has followed politics pretty closely for the past two decades, I can say with certainty that Ron DeSantis is more well-positioned to run against the incumbent President than any other presidential contender in that same time period, and that his re-election as Governor of Florida, given his demonstrated competence and popularity and combined with the weakness of his potential opponents, is extremely likely.

dicknixon72

Pelican

Check out the videos and pictures coming out of red tide in Florida. The smell is out of this world.

The direct result of the failure of state and local politicians, including Ronny.

Can't wait for some of you to move there and find out how it really is.

This is an annual occurrence going back centuries, though summer blooms have happened a few times over the past few decades. The magnitude varies based on many factors, but decades of agricultural runoff and phosphate mining are the culprits of this. Both discharge from Piney Point plus the pumping of untreated municipal effluence into the bay from the City of St. Petersburg along with Hurricane Elsa pushing offshore algae blooms into coastal areas are exacerbating it this year.

I'm a DeSantis supporter, but this is bad optics for him to be in Texas today. He should know better.

This is an annual occurrence going back centuries, though summer blooms have happened a few times over the past few decades. The magnitude varies based on many factors, but decades of agricultural runoff and phosphate mining are the culprits of this. Both discharge from Piney Point plus the pumping of untreated municipal effluence into the bay from the City of St. Petersburg along with Hurricane Elsa pushing offshore algae blooms into coastal areas are exacerbating it this year.

I'm a DeSantis supporter, but this is bad optics for him to be in Texas today. He should know better.

In 50 years, I have never seen anything even a fraction as bad as this and it's the result of the mismanagement of the Piney Point situation.

skullmask

Woodpecker
In 50 years, I have never seen anything even a fraction as bad as this and it's the result of the mismanagement of the Piney Point situation.
Yep, Piney Point also threatens to burst from time to time and cause massive flooding. At this point I think thousands will have to lose their homes before someone in government solves this problem for good.