The Search of the Ents

EntWife

Robin
Woman
"When the world was young, and the woods were wide and wild, the Ents and the Entwives - and there were Entmaidens then: ah! the loveliness of Fimbrethil, of Wandlimb the lightfooted, in the days of our youth! - they walked together and they housed together. But our hearts did not go on growing in the same way"... [The Entwives grew gardens and desired order, while the Ents wandered the wild forests.] ...

"I remember it was long ago - in the time of the war between Sauron and the Men of the Sea - desire came over me to see Fimbrethil again. Very fair she was still in my eyes, when I had last seen her, though little like the Entmaiden of old. For the Entwives were bent and browned by their labour; their hair parched by the sun to the hue of ripe corn and their cheeks like red apples. Yet their eyes were still the eyes of our own people. We crossed over Anduin and came to their land; but we found a desert: it was all burned and uprooted, for war had passed over it. But the Entwives were not there. Long we called, and long we searched ... nowhere that we went could we find them. Our sorrow was very great. Yet the wild wood called, and we returned to it. For many years we used to go out every now and again and look for the Entwives, walking far and wide and calling them by their beautiful names. But as time passed we went more seldom and wandered less far. And now the Entwives are only a memory for us, and our beards are long and grey. ... We believe that we may meet again in a time to come, and perhaps we shall find somewhere a land where we can live together and both be content. But it is foreboded that that will only be when we have both lost all that we now have. And it may well be that that time is drawing near at last."
--Treebeard

Last edited:

EntWife

Robin
Woman
On the road to Isengard...

" 'Of course, it is likely enough, my friends,' [Treebeard] said slowly, 'likely enough that we are going to our doom: the last march of the Ents. But if we stayed at home and did nothing, doom would find us anyway, sooner or later. That thought has long been growing in our hearts; and that is why we are marching now. It was not a hasty resolve. Now at least the last march of the Ents may be worth a song. Aye,' he sighed, 'we may help the other peoples before we pass away. Still, I should have liked to see the songs come true about the Entwives. I should dearly have liked to see Fimbrethil again. But there, my friends, songs like trees bear fruit only in their own time and their own way: and sometimes they are withered untimely.'"

EntWife

Robin
Woman
This is pretty. My son and I are reading The Hobbit for our literature selection right now.
That's awesome! I'm about to re-read The Lord of the Rings trilogy again for the gazillionth time.

Treebeard and I watched the movies when they first came out. He thought, and still thinks, that it's bizarre that I know the name of the eagle who rescued Gandalf after he'd been imprisoned by Saruman. LOL

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
That's awesome! I'm about to re-read The Lord of the Rings trilogy again for the gazillionth time.

Treebeard and I watched the movies when they first came out. He thought, and still thinks, that it's bizarre that I know the name of the eagle who rescued Gandalf after he'd been imprisoned by Saruman. LOL
OK don't hate me, lol, but I couldn't read The Lord of the Rings. I do love fantasy, and I really, really WANTED to like them; I just couldn't get into them. I read the first one, and then I tried reading the second one for about six months before I gave up. I did the same thing with Jane Austen's "Emma".

EntWife

Robin
Woman
OK don't hate me, lol, but I couldn't read The Lord of the Rings. I do love fantasy, and I really, really WANTED to like them; I just couldn't get into them. I read the first one, and then I tried reading the second one for about six months before I gave up. I did the same thing with Jane Austen's "Emma".
Different people have different tastes, you know? Do you like The Chronicles of Narnia? I got a CD set of that read by "the most noted actors of our times". The only name I recognized was Patrick Stewart. Treebeard and I are going to listen to it in the evenings with our little Entings.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Different people have different tastes, you know? Do you like The Chronicles of Narnia? I got a CD set of that read by "the most noted actors of our times". The only name I recognized was Patrick Stewart. Treebeard and I are going to listen to it in the evenings with our little Entings.
I LOVE The Chronicles of Narnia. Those I have read, oh gosh, eight times?

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
What order are you going to listen to them in? There are two generally accepted orders.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
I thought we could start with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. We'll do the rest in order, then go back for The Magician's Nephew. That will probably keep the Entings' interest better.
Nice. I've read the series out loud to three out of my four kids. I'm working on them now with my youngest. We've read four and are now reading The Silver Chair. :)