The selfie death thread

Stretch

Chicken
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

Its a shame, but she was just too fucking stupid to survive. Happens all the time in the animal kingdom when you think about it. Dumb raccoons, stupid birds, crazy squirrels, porcupricks that get hit by cars. It helps over control the population of things that are fucking stupid. Survival of the fitness.
 

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

I bit my tongue the past few days but time for me to post my forever unpopular opinion on threads such as this, where the majority of posters chime in with their "Darwin at its finest" when a young person dies.

When I was in my 20's I hit 178mph on my GSXR on a long straight stretch of highway... looking back now as a man who is almost 40 I would never do that again. Had I crashed and died people like you would have said the same thing about me as you would about this girl "Darwin at its finest"
When I was in my teens me and my friends found a high railroad trestle over a river and they dared me to jump off of it.... and I did. An I survived but had I died people with the mindset displayed in this thread would have said "Darwin at its finest"

These are two of MANY examples I can list of things that could have ended in my untimely demise as a youth. However by the grace of god and possibly some miracles I'm here today, a happy, healthy, functioning adult. Don't take my word it, read through my reps from people I have met. Should ol Darwin cut my life short cause in my youth I did some foolish things? Why is it almost celebrated amongst some of you that a 22 year old girl died doing something that you consider to be "stupid"?? Look back on your life as a teen and in your early 20's did you ever do something "stupid" do you deserve to die for that mistake you made in youth? Had you died doing something dangerous or misguided in your youth, would you want people on the internet chiming in with their shitty remarks about Darwinism and "good riddance" I think this is the product of internet culture and how it desensitizes people from reality.

Basically if you think its perfectly fine this woman is dead.... then I encourage you to add me to your ignore list cause I sure as fuck shouldn't be alive by your logic. I have done things waaaay more dangerous and stupid then this girl did.
 
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

Cr33pin said:
I bit my tongue the past few days but time for me to post my forever unpopular opinion on threads such as this, where the majority of posters chime in with their "Darwin at its finest" when a young person dies.

When I was in my 20's I hit 178mph on my GSXR on a long straight stretch of highway... looking back now as a man who is almost 40 I would never do that again. Had I crashed and died people like you would have said the same thing about me as you would about this girl "Darwin at its finest"
When I was in my teens me and my friends found a high railroad trestle over a river and they dared me to jump off of it.... and I did. An I survived but had I died people with the mindset displayed in this thread would have said "Darwin at its finest"

These are two of MANY examples I can list of things that could have ended in my untimely demise as a youth. However by the grace of god and possibly some miracles I'm here today, a happy, healthy, functioning adult. Don't take my word it, read through my reps from people I have met. Should ol Darwin cut my life short cause in my youth I did some foolish things? Why is it almost celebrated amongst some of you that a 22 year old girl died doing something that you consider to be "stupid"?? Look back on your life as a teen and in your early 20's did you ever do something "stupid" do you deserve to die for that mistake you made in youth? Had you died doing something dangerous or misguided in your youth, would you want people on the internet chiming in with their shitty remarks about Darwinism and "good riddance" I think this is the product of internet culture and how it desensitizes people from reality.

Basically if you think its perfectly fine this woman is dead.... then I encourage you to add me to your ignore list cause I sure as fuck shouldn't be alive by your logic. I have done things waaaay more dangerous and stupid then this girl did.
I thought about making a post in the hater's lounge about my disdain for posters everywhere on every site imaginable making references to Darwin's alleged notions about "survival of the fittest." Or as one poster here called it "survival of the fitness." No clue as to what it supposedly means and totally at odds with the reality of life itself. The "fittest" often do not survive due to war, epidemics, natural disasters, being on the wrong side of a political debate, and countless other ways. Fate is very fickle and it seems like some of the vilest and unfit human beings have been kindly favored by the fates. I doubt I was anywhere near the daredevil that Cr33pin was in his youth but my friends and I pulled a couple of stunts that could have gotten one of us or a bunch of us killed. That young woman more than likely had many positive traits in her DNA that could have been passed on to her children. She bought into the narcissism of the times and paid with her life. No survival of the fittest here just a tragedy that will continue to repeat itself as our very unfit society continues to unravel.
 

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

I don't think people necessarily think it is okay that a young woman like this is dead.

It's more like, there is so much death and mayhem in the world today, that making light of things like this is just an attempt to steel the individual against truly contemplating the loss and waste of a life gone for no reason.

Everyone is capable of making light of someone else's tragedy, and while your point is taken that it is pretty callous and hypocritical to not only dismiss a life but dismiss a life not that much different than our own, I wouldn't take this sort of talk to heart.

Most of the people joking about this or thinking it is poetic justice would never feel the same way if someone they knew died in that way. That should be the litmus test. If you toss off casual comments when someone you know dies, now that is a problem.

Who has the reserves of compassion and concern to truly care about every single death we read about? Especially people dying for selfies? It really makes you want to cry.

So you make cheap jokes instead.
 

Aurini

Ostrich
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

It's such a great tragedy that people shield themselves with jokes.
 

Lovinglife

Woodpecker
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

I wonder how many people have died from taking selfies since being invented 10 years ago!

I reckon at least 10,000 people! I know accidents from people crossing the road has increased 2000% cause of smart "death" phones! Don't forget car accidents...
 
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

I blame the parents. I'd expect a lack of common sense training from two folks who paid a quarter of a mil for a "journalism" degree
 

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

Another female has died while taking a selfie:

A university student has died after falling off a cliff at a famous hiking spot while taking photos with classmates.

Andrea Norton, a 20-year-old university student from South Dakota, died on Saturday after falling 30 metres off a cliff in the Ozark-St. Francis National Forest in Arkansas.

She had been readjusting herself for a picture with friends from Briar Cliff University in Sioux City, Iowa, when she fell.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/andrea-norton-woman-dies-falling-off-cliff-taking-photo-095220769.html
 
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

I have no comment for the Arkansas death. It is sad, but it also is another case of "why?"

I remember being called a pussy numerous times for not going to the edge of dangerous obstructions, but now I am seeing that it is not stupid to be human with common sense. That is what people today lack. Young people at that. They do not have fear of the real world. Stay away from the edge of the sidewalk during traffic. Do not jump over "Beware of Dog" fences. Do not put your hand near a socket. Do not throw electrical things into water that you or anyone else is in. Etc, etc.
 

Veloce

Crow
Gold Member
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

It's a shame but young people have been doing stupid shit and toying with their life for a long time. Drunk driving fatalities were at epidemic levels way before smartphones or social media ever existed.

But yeah these threads bring out some real sociopath comments.
 

Eusebius

Hummingbird
Gold Member
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

Roosh said:
Another female has died while taking a selfie:

A university student has died after falling off a cliff at a famous hiking spot while taking photos with classmates.

Andrea Norton, a 20-year-old university student from South Dakota, died on Saturday after falling 30 metres off a cliff in the Ozark-St. Francis National Forest in Arkansas.

She had been readjusting herself for a picture with friends from Briar Cliff University in Sioux City, Iowa, when she fell.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/andrea-norton-woman-dies-falling-off-cliff-taking-photo-095220769.html

Quote:
"Andrea embodied BCU’s values in everything she did including her compassion for all, a love for the environment and an openness to everyone she met."

Not a comment on this particular girl, as it's just boilerplate from her university, but what bullshit values. Just as she was thinned out from humanity's genetic legacy, such squishy ideas will fail to make the cut and be replaced within a generation or two.
 
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

Roosh said:
Manbeline said:
Several questions come up. First, why are there no safety guards? Two, how did a bunch of teenagers get into the clock tower? Was there no security?

I read on 4chan that the tower is usually locked and not manned by staff. If that's true, they trespassed to take photos.

That is exactly what happened. Fordham University in the Bx keeps it locked and all students know it's off limits. I went there many years ago.
 

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

Perhaps the girl who died simply could not handle the 'pressure' of being on Instagram...?

'People take me for granted': YouTuber breaks down on camera as she reveals the 'struggles' of being a 'social media influencer' - and lists the five things she hates about her job

With more than two million followers on Instagram, model Sarah Harris leads a luxurious life many women her age can only dream of. But despite making a living off her lucrative career, the New Zealand social media star revealed the far from glamorous side of being an 'influencer'. Taking YouTube, the former Playboy model shared a tearful video about the 'not so great aspects of being on social media', including the cruel remarks she receives from online trolls.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-video-struggles-social-media-influencer.html

12734222-6961817-image-a-153-1556246344991.jpg
 

Que enspastic

Ostrich
Gold Member
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

I almost died once when I got knocked back from a club and wanted to jump into their beer garden from an adjoining building. I was 21yo totally wasted, on the top floor (3-4 stories) with my body extended over a ledge, ready to get onto the next ledge, pitch black below, and about to jump when I thought “maybe I should reassess, can’t detect a ledge underneath me”
Get shudders still thinking about it
 

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
RE: Attractive girl dies while attempting to take Instagram selfie atop clock tower

CynicalContrarian said:
Perhaps the girl who died simply could not handle the 'pressure' of being on Instagram...?

'People take me for granted': YouTuber breaks down on camera as she reveals the 'struggles' of being a 'social media influencer' - and lists the five things she hates about her job

With more than two million followers on Instagram, model Sarah Harris leads a luxurious life many women her age can only dream of. But despite making a living off her lucrative career, the New Zealand social media star revealed the far from glamorous side of being an 'influencer'. Taking YouTube, the former Playboy model shared a tearful video about the 'not so great aspects of being on social media', including the cruel remarks she receives from online trolls.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-video-struggles-social-media-influencer.html

12734222-6961817-image-a-153-1556246344991.jpg

thumb.gif
 

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Another one from Belarus...

Viktoria Grinkevich, 19, from Belarus, was apparently taking a photo late at night at a student hostel in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius when the tragedy occurred.

Pals say the teen stepped onto a stool to climb over the handrail of the balcony.

It was then that she reportedly lost her grip and fell approximately 90ft.

Friends told police she had wanted to take a number of selfies with the night sky over the city as the backdrop.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/la...death-student-falls-balcony-lithuania-picture

1639562.jpg
 
Kid Twist said:
About 15 years ago a girl at a medical school I know went to go "run the Grand Canyon" I think because she was a long distance runner and it was a challenge. She ended up being too far away, alone, or whatever it was, in crazy heat. Died of dehydration.

Can you imagine being a parent and raising a child all the way to medical school and mid 20s age, who dies by running in the Grand Canyon in summer just to say she did it?

I think the retards at the time were saying something like "At least she died doing something she loved."

Weird stuff. Sad of course, but it was a "cool" thing or equivalent "like" in the pre-selfie era.

She was obviously unprepared, didn't understand the risks and should not have gone alone, but your comments are off base. If a group of experienced trail runners weight through the Grand Canyon with enough safety measures they'd likely come out fine, even if some emergency were to happen.

Running through the Grand Canyon is badass, and would be a great experience (I've hiked through it, not run). Visiting epic places in the world and risking your life is far better life than the typical 9-5 path that 99.99% of people follow.
 

CaptainS

Hummingbird
CynicalContrarian said:
Perhaps the girl who died simply could not handle the 'pressure' of being on Instagram...?

'People take me for granted': YouTuber breaks down on camera as she reveals the 'struggles' of being a 'social media influencer' - and lists the five things she hates about her job

With more than two million followers on Instagram, model Sarah Harris leads a luxurious life many women her age can only dream of. But despite making a living off her lucrative career, the New Zealand social media star revealed the far from glamorous side of being an 'influencer'. Taking YouTube, the former Playboy model shared a tearful video about the 'not so great aspects of being on social media', including the cruel remarks she receives from online trolls.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-video-struggles-social-media-influencer.html

12734222-6961817-image-a-153-1556246344991.jpg

And I would have thought the worst part of the job is the perverted sexual demands of the yachting crowd who are financing her lifestyle.

I guess mean comments are worse than having to fuck a camel for a few extra grand.
 

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Selfie deaths are happening frequently enough that the mainstream media is noticing:

Selfie-mania has plagued the world for years now as the never-ending pursuit of the perfect photo continues to reach new heights.

Risk takers flock to the edges of cliffs and skyscrapers to take a pic as they dangle their feet off the edge to share with friends on social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook. Image-obsessed adults go under the knife, requesting surgeries to make them look like Snapchat-filtered versions of themselves in real life.

And even those who aren't as daring when "doing it for the 'gram" might be at risk of developing unofficial mental disorders such as "selfitis" and Snapchat dysmorphia.

“Selfie or it didn’t happen” is all fun and games, but at what point does curiosity and leisure cross over into an unhealthy obsession?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ake-selfies-and-how-its-dangerous/3691366002/
 
Top