The Soccer Thread

The Prime Minister

Sparrow
Orthodox
You guys make a good point.

I remember the 2018 WC final and how the globohomo mainstream media were gushing about France's win.

They were praising France winning as a way to say that immigration and diversity is not only good, but necessary.

What I found most interesting was that Croatia, a country of 4 million, punched much above their weight.

If Croatia had won it would have been the ultimate underdog victory, more important than Rocky Balboa or Cinderella Man.

But then I thought to myself, if Croatia did win, they would be criticized by globohomo mainstream media for being a racist all-white team (while completely overlooking the underdog element).

And now funny enough, Italy is criticized for winning the Euro Cup while having a team that's 100% Italian.

Pacífico

Pigeon
France yes, not sure about England (though I'm not too astute on the matter).
The most promising English players under 24 are exactly the ones that missed the penalty shots plus some others that didn't play or were injured. Most of them play in arguably the world's most competitive league except for Sancho.
Jadon Sancho
Bukayo Saka (Arsenal FC player of the season)
Phil Foden (didn't take a shot in the pens)
Marcus Rashford

There's also Trent Alexander Arnold, he missed the tournament due to injuries.

Pacífico

Pigeon
You guys make a good point.

I remember the 2018 WC final and how the globohomo mainstream media were gushing about France's win.

They were praising France winning as a way to say that immigration and diversity is not only good, but necessary.

What I found most interesting was that Croatia, a country of 4 million, punched much above their weight.

If Croatia had won it would have been the ultimate underdog victory, more important than Rocky Balboa or Cinderella Man.

But then I thought to myself, if Croatia did win, they would be criticized by globohomo mainstream media for being a racist all-white team (while completely overlooking the underdog element).

And now funny enough, Italy is criticized for winning the Euro Cup while having a team that's 100% Italian.
Croatia was no David against Goliath. They had some of the best players in peak form. Luka Modrić was Real Madrid's most important player that same year when they won the UEFA Champions League against Liverpool. Ivan Rakitić was the supportive brains of an FC Barcelona that won the Spanish with 1 loss in 38 games. The rest of the team players also had good seasons with their respective clubs.

To someone that's not a regular viewer it looks like a surprise but they deservedly got to the final as the 2nd best team and lost probably due to exhaustion ( the semi finals vs England were won in extra time) and the physicality of French players.

The Prime Minister

Sparrow
Orthodox
Yeah I admit, I'm not a regular viewer of soccer.

But still, I'm very impressed with Croatia and their quality players.

When you think of the best soccer nations of the world the list is usually Germany, France, Brazil, Argentina, etc. I never thought a country like Croatia would ever make that kind of list, it's a very impressive feat.

Peacock
Gold Member
Yugoslavia is an athletic powerhouse, best soccer teams in eastern Europe, world's best at water polo, and among the best in Europe in basketball and volleyball.

Goni

Woodpecker
Yugoslavia is an athletic powerhouse, best soccer teams in eastern Europe, world's best at water polo, and among the best in Europe in basketball and volleyball.
You mean it was.

Yugoslavia in itself was the most fake entity to ever come into existence in the face of Europe.

However in cold war era, Soviet Union and Hungary were and are pretty good in football and for sure Yugoslavia wasnt the best in Eastern Europe, nor as team and nor as football clubs.

Poland was and is pretty good in volleyball too.

However in water polo yes, some ex yugoslav states have their legacy on that even today.

Pacífico

Pigeon
However in cold war era, Soviet Union and Hungary were and are pretty good in football and for sure Yugoslavia wasnt the best in Eastern Europe, nor as team and nor as football clubs.
Hungary could have had more success in football than a world cup final (1954) if their players had not left the country during the communist era. Their 1950s team literally revolutionized football by making it more fluid and attacking.

Saka had a terrible final. Had a bad tournament. Topped that off with a terrible penalty.

These players get feted for how great they are and everyone on social media has to show their allegiance by agreeing.

people were so pissed off with woke England that when Chiellini committed a sending off offence (IMO) in fouling Saka the vast majority of neutrals, including me, laughed and applauded.
Just like when David Beckham spent Euro 2004 arranging photo opportunities with the Papparazzi and appearing on his balcony in the team hotel in thong underwear at pre arranged times.
slipped during the penalty shootout with portugal and spooned the ball into the stands. You could hear the entire stadium laughing at him.
No sympathy for Marcus Rashford. or Southgate - who got more into virtue signalling than managing.

One thing these modern social media primadonnas lack is mental toughness on the pitch.

We are told that if we criticize them then they might have mental health problems or even be a suicide risk
Theyre only 19! theyre only 21! theyre only 23!
Well, the Italian keeper was 21.

Give me Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Chris Waddle, Stuart Pearce, a young Michael Owen, Glenn Hoddle.. any day of the week.

Pacífico

Pigeon
Saka had a terrible final. Had a bad tournament. Topped that off with a terrible penalty.
I disagree, Saka had a decent tournament not really worse than any other England player. Kane had an arguably worse final, he didn't even get to touch the ball in the 2nd half. Saka is part of the reason why they defeated Denmark with the great run from behind for that assist. I believe the blame is more on Southgate than any player and this should be obvious. They got to the final in spite of, not because of, their tactics.
These players get feted for how great they are and everyone on social media has to show their allegiance by agreeing.
Biggest problem in football right now given the trend of British fanboys and their tabloids constantly making idols out of their players. As a result, they become too arrogant or complacent.
people were so pissed off with woke England that when Chiellini committed a sending off offence (IMO) in fouling Saka the vast majority of neutrals, including me, laughed and applauded.
Same here, it was a yellow card but worth it regardless.
No sympathy for Marcus Rashford. or Southgate - who got more into virtue signalling than managing.
Rashford has been disappointing, no growth in like 2 years. Mentally very weak.
One thing these modern social media primadonnas lack is mental toughness on the pitch.

We are told that if we criticize them then they might have mental health problems or even be a suicide risk
Theyre only 19! theyre only 21! theyre only 23!
Well, the Italian keeper was 21.
Donnarumma (Italy's keeper) is just a different breed of player, he has been a starter for AC Milan since he was 16. He has had more experience than most players under 25 in the England squad. He is the exception rather than the standard.
Give me Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson, Chris Waddle, Stuart Pearce, a young Michael Owen, Glenn Hoddle.. any day of the week.
Michael Owen had a Ballon D'Or at Rashford's age. These guys were real leaders on the pitch unlike these frauds.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Croatia was no David against Goliath. They had some of the best players in peak form. Luka Modrić was Real Madrid's most important player that same year when they won the UEFA Champions League against Liverpool. Ivan Rakitić was the supportive brains of an FC Barcelona that won the Spanish with 1 loss in 38 games. The rest of the team players also had good seasons with their respective clubs.

To someone that's not a regular viewer it looks like a surprise but they deservedly got to the final as the 2nd best team and lost probably due to exhaustion ( the semi finals vs England were won in extra time) and the physicality of French players.

It's David vs Goliath in the sense that they're a country of 4m people yet in ~25 years of independence they've made the World Cup final, another semifinal (20 years apart so not simply a case of lightning striking with a single golden generation), and qualified for almost every World Cup and Euro in that time frame.

Bitter End

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I thought I was the only one that still followed football a little bit. In this case I have everything in common with this part of the forum. : )

I am still waiting for this elusive correction when some teams will start defaulting on their debt. Similar situation to the global economy really.