The Sopranos Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Meat Head said:
What I dont understand is how a great actor like Christopher Moltisanti fell off the map and onto small parts in Californiacation.

Like the guy who played McNulty in the Wire. How do great actors like these not make it when Brad Pitt is applauded?

My guess is they've been typecast. Imperioli, Tony Sirico, the guy who played Big Pussy have been relegated to mob movies only. Imperioli is getting some work here and there but it's nothing compared to the success he had on The Sopranos.

You're right though, it's a damn shame that we don't get to see these guys meanwhile Zac Efron or Seth Rogen get $50 million movie deals :laugh:

dark_g

Woodpecker
Meat Head said:
What I dont understand is how a great actor like Christopher Moltisanti fell off the map and onto small parts in Californiacation.

Like the guy who played McNulty in the Wire. How do great actors like these not make it when Brad Pitt is applauded?

The guy who plays McNulty is British and you can hear his British accent during interviews. You wouldn't know from watching the show, he hides it well.

There are a few British actors that have landed big "American" roles. Idris Elba(plays Stringer Bell on The Wire) and that lady in "Good Behavior".

Meat Head

Woodpecker
Or maybe it is the fact that guys like McNulty and Imperioli are not that good looking.

But then again you have the guy who played Jackie Junior, a handsome actor I havent seen expect a small role in Power.

Meat Head said:
Or maybe it is the fact that guys like McNulty and Imperioli are not that good looking.

You may be on to something there. Come to think of it, Hollywood movies and many TV shows are packed with ONLY good-looking people with six-packs and 20" biceps. You would think ugly people didn't exist. Acting ability has been going completely downhill however.

I think that's why we're seeing more focus on foreign films, since they tend to have more realistic protagonists.

porscheguy

Ostrich
I just started watching Lilyhammer on netflix. Think of it as Silvio from the Sopranos awakes from his coma, goes into witness protection and moves to Norway. You get to see just how fucked up Scandinavia is.

Monty_Brogan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I still remember receiving the second season box set for a Christmas present in '01. I was a sophomore in HS and didn't have cable nor know much about the show, but I've always liked mob movies. I threw it in my dvd player and I was hooked! I rewatched that season a lot that year. Season 2 will always hold a special place in my heart because that is where it all started for me. It's fucked up how far society has gone down hill when you re-watch the early seasons and realize we will never again live in that peaceful, happy go lucky time again. Pre 9/11: what a time to be alive.

"Commendatori" from season 2 is my all time favorite episode of the series.

the-sopranos-s2-e4-t.jpg

episode-17-12.jpg

tumblr_m88x5k7ZFl1qzxrtg.jpg

Fast forward to '07 and I'm getting ready to EAS out of the Marine Corps. There's one guy in my platoon with cable/hbo package. He's a roughneck from Texas. I talk him into watching the last episode with me. I still remember sitting in that tiny barracks room in Twentynine Palms with my buddy watching this masterpiece end.

RIslander

Hummingbird
"Sometimes I go about in pity for myself, and all the while, a great wind carries me across the sky."

Thoughts? My take is: Life goes on.

Kingfisher
^-- I love how Tony adopts that as his own go-to "enough already!" advice to everyone else throughout the show -- "you know, AJ, you always go about and pity for yourself..." -- he does that a ton of times to a variety of characters.

Also classic -- Tony's "alt-non-Mafia" version of himself throughout the seasons, from "selling patio furniture on Route 4" to "out west selling Indian souvenirs outside the reservation", to the entire coma sequence where Tony is Kevin Finnerty, a traveling industrial salesman.

And conversely, look who ends up selling patio furniture -- the father of the school/camp friend AJ "avoids" a fight with; also the cop who pulls Tony over, whom Tony tried to get fired, and then "un-fired", and then, "fuck it" (related to Assemblyman Zeller).

Just more levels of "what could have been" style thinking, both in the characters' minds and in the writers' minds, and in our minds.

SwordfishTrombonist

Woodpecker
Gold Member
One of the most honest scenes from the show:

The temptation to ruin someone else's day is always there when you're in the gutter.

Bonus: great music, got me listening to the Kinks for the first time

stugatz

Pelican
Well, I guess I HAVE to say something, given my handle. Interestingly enough, I watched Oz, Deadwood, and The Wire before I finally got around to this one. (I especially loved Deadwood - anyone else?)

I think the Italians beating up the SJW Indian activists in the Christopher Columbus Parade episode is the episode that hooked me on this show. Even though some of the best series episodes were before then (Pine Barrens especially), for some reason I had to laugh my ass off at this one to really become a hardcore fan.

dark_g

Woodpecker
stugatz said:
Well, I guess I HAVE to say something, given my handle. Interestingly enough, I watched Oz, Deadwood, and The Wire before I finally got around to this one. (I especially loved Deadwood - anyone else?)

I think the Italians beating up the SJW Indian activists in the Christopher Columbus Parade episode is the episode that hooked me on this show. Even though some of the best series episodes were before then (Pine Barrens especially), for some reason I had to laugh my ass off at this one to really become a hardcore fan.

Ah, Pine Barrens. A must see. This is my favorite laugh out loud Episode!!!

Stirfry

Woodpecker
stugatz said:

I loved Deadwood! A lost classic, by the same minds behind "NYPD Blue", which was another fairly groundbreaking show that people have forgotten about. The dialogue was sharp and almost Shakespearean in a way- you know nobody talked like that for real, but it sounded so great, a little like a David Mamet play.

Whereas "NYPD Blue" probably went a season or two (or three) too long, "Deadwood" ended much too quickly.