The Sopranos Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
Chris Brown said:
Why did Blanca dump AJ? He had money and looks, why did he in turn get oneitis?

Is oneitis an age thing? Can a forty year old get acute oneitis?

She was looking for a man like she was used to. An was pretty soft.

Aloha!

Chris Brown

Woodpecker
During another rewatch of Sopranos I picked up another malapropism. In the episode Live Free or Die, when Meadow is bitching about how Bush is ill treatin the people and the Muslim immigrants, Tony walks in and says, 'when can you use that kind of language in this house with immunity' instead of impunity.

Nonpareil

Pelican
Gold Member
Chris Brown said:
Why did Blanca dump AJ? He had money and looks, why did he in turn get oneitis?

Is oneitis an age thing? Can a forty year old get acute oneitis?

I always had the impression that he got dumped because he was 'A.J Soprano, continually emo fuckup' and not 'Anthony Soprano Jr., young G on the rise'. Looking back, maybe that's the path he should have taken.

Another man's kid or not, she was pretty hot (that's how single mothers can trap you).

Rewatched the entire run earlier this summer, for my money the best tv show ever, so many memorable moments, characters and quotes.

- 'I said, how longs it take the guy to cum?'

- 'We're with the Vipers!', 'that your girl scout troop?'

- 'Imagine finding out your husband played for the pink team!?'

- Christopher was a great character, but also an emo pussy (can't handle a little ball breaking) who never was on the ball. His beef with Paulie was one of the best on the show (and more or less was always there from the start).

- I especially found Livia Soprano a compelling character...my grandmother is almost the exact same way, and has alienated just about the entire family, I still try to put in some face but it's harder every time. Some people aren't happy until they drag everyone down into their own bullshit and misery.

- I'm down to either Gloria or the Cuban bird for Tony's top chick, but the one legged Russian is also a strong contender.

- At some point in time after the show's run, 'nagging, narcissistic cunt' became how every wife character was written. Carmela definitely had her moments, but she was also very self realized and always took Tony's side in arguments.

- There's a treasure trove of game concepts and red pilling throughout the show, if someone asked for recommendations for a red pill show, I would recommend this and Mad Men (even if the last season of Mad Men got a little too blue pill at parts).

- My favorite moment? When you have Chris and Paulie eating frozen ketchup in a van, Ginny Sack fat jokes, Chris beating up Lauren Bacall, Tony beating the bouncer at the Bing like 4 times and a Vito gay arc that actually makes fuckin sense! how do I choose?

- Favorite character: Paulie, favorite episode; Amour Fou (Jackie jr. Robs the poker game, Patsy, in vivid detail, tells Gloria to get lost).

Edit: As for the op concerns, who do I identify with the most? Probably Sylvio. Strategy, measured, calm until you fuck with me (if I identified with Christopher, Paulie or Tony I would probably be in jail).

And yeah, I first thought 'how is this fat fuck getting so much hot pussy?', but bear in mind I was in my early teens in 1997 so I knew jack shit about jack shit and thought women wanted a handsome guy who listens to all their bullshit and does everything they say. On rewatch it's clear; Tony is a big strong guy (Gandolfini was like 6'3 250), he's a known crime boss (fame + bad boy), strongly dark triad, has money and on top of that, he could crack a joke here and there and was good at talking to people.

Frankly, I'm surprised he wasn't getting laid even more.

Maistre

Sparrow
Steve McQueen said:
This scene stuck with me from the show, I always wondered what the hell they were smoking to include it as it scared the shit out of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWsCK7RE0Xg

I had a suspicion what this would be before I clicked on the link, and I was right. This scene still blows me away everytime I see it. Just so perfect, and there's so much going on in it a full analysis would require pages. An apparition of the Virgin Mary! Inexplicable, and at the same time, completely coherent with the show's universe. A couple things perhaps worth noting:

The Mother of God is quite noticeably levitating on the Bing's dance floor, and you can see her a few seconds before Paulie does by looking at the mirrors in the scene's background.

In the Sopranos, the supernatural and the mystic are never far away. From Chris's sojourn in Hell (purgatory? "tell Paulie 3 o'clock" or was it 4?) to Tony's remarkable journey up to and back from ("you cant take it with you) what appears to have been the gates of the afterlife (certainly hell, if there is one, yes?), there is no shortage of uncanny goings-on. Yet no character appears to connect with the "other side" quite like Paulie - with all his weird tics and superstitions - who was not only directly addressed in Chris's coma-dream but also confronted, apparently, by one of his previous murder victims in a bewildering seance scene. It should be unsurprising, then, that by far the most profound and stunning supernatural scene in the Soprano's was for Paulie's eyes alone. Can it be a coincidence that Paulie, the character by far the most concerned with religion and the spiritual world, is the only major male character to survive the entire show? I think not.

Mikan

Robin
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: [turning to Christopher] You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.

dark_g

Woodpecker
Mikan said:
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: [turning to Christopher] You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.

That was one of my favorite eposodes

Chris Brown

Woodpecker
Do you think Cleaver was really a manifestation of Chris desire to kill Tony or was it like when Newton invented gravity because some asshole threw an apple at him?

Nonpareil

Pelican
Gold Member
Chris Brown said:
Do you think Cleaver was really a manifestation of Chris desire to kill Tony or was it like when Newton invented gravity because some asshole threw an apple at him?

I don't think Chris ever wanted to kill Tony and I don't remember any indications of this, but he did frequently bitch (to FBI asset Adrianna) about feeling unappreciated and how Tony was ungrateful, which at times he was.

'Cleaver' seemed to be him projecting the worst aspects of Tony's personality into the screen.

Speaking of Adrianna...

Just rewatched the series for the first time since it aired. I was pretty young at the time it was on, and this rewatch made it infinitely more enjoyable.

Like a lot of people in this thread have said, when I first watched the show I had no idea how Tony kept getting all the fine girls he did. Made complete sense this time around.

My top 5 hotties on the show:

5: Irina the Russian

4: AJ's girlfriend at the end of Season 6B

3: Meadow

2: Isabella

1. Girl that Tony does Peyote with

Honorable Mention: Ginny Sack

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
The French girl who's brother borrowed money from Artie buco, and the Albanian he and Benny got in a fight over were my two favorites.

Aloha!

Dusty said:
Ginny Sack has a 90 pound mole surgically removed from her ass:
I love this scene where John buys a Maserati and explains that Ginny can't drive it "because of her knees", meanwhile Tony is struggling to keep a straight face.