The Sopranos Discussion/Appreciation Thread

RIslander

Hummingbird
Captainstabbin said:
I'd rather Chase do a stand alone mob movie. I don't want to see Johnny Boy henpecked into submission by Livia. You know that'll be the focus in the modern "Time's Up" era.

I'd like to see it done the way Sopranos was done... with the boss of the crime family at the time being the main character and Johnny Boy being a secondary character (such as Silvio). I don't expect Chase to cuck out but if its a Hollywood production they'll probably push him to focus on Italians beating on Blacks.

Malone

Pelican
Gold Member
I've just started rewatching Sopranos with my wife. The show is almost as old as her, so she's never seen it.

It's still great, just finished the first season. I'd forgotten how evil Livia was. I also am a bit puzzled how no one put together Pussy's disappearance meaning he was probably in custody.

Oh, and to weigh in on the Tony's Women discussion from some pages back. Isabella. Holy fuck.

RIslander

Hummingbird
Piankhi said:
I still hate the fucking ending though. People like endings like in Scarface and Public Enemy.

That's why I love it. And hate it. Sopranos always prided itself on making the viewer think.. And not always giving them what they want. It's rare for anything in media to do that anymore.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
I'm positive the guy at the bar going into the toilet was getting a gun from behind the cistern in a stall like that Al Pacino film where he executes the two men he was having dinner with.

Tony looks up >>> see's guy pointing a gun at him. End.

RIslander

Hummingbird
Foolsgo1d said:
I'm positive the guy at the bar going into the toilet was getting a gun from behind the cistern in a stall like that Al Pacino film where he executes the two men he was having dinner with.

Tony looks up >>> see's guy pointing a gun at him. End.

... The Godfather? :laugh:

CaptainS

Hummingbird
Recently watched the series on Prime. The whole 6th season sucked. The dream sequences, Vito's faggotry, AJ's depression, Meadow's drama - they got too far away from the mob. I wouldn't mind the family stuff so much if it was at all interesting.

RIslander

Hummingbird
This is one of the funniest scenes of the series. During filming, Bobby came out with a dreadlocks wig and giant dildo strap on to get Gandolfini go laugh the way he did. :laugh:

Enoch

Hummingbird
captain_shane said:
Tony dies at the end. Chase made it very clear with his editing. This analysis explains it in extreme depth. It's an amazing ending for an amazing show.

Ending Explained

This thread prompted me to watch some old clips.

Can't remember the exact one but Silvio makes a dark joke about one of their associates who died taking a shit. Tony said "don't we all".

To me there is no doubt that he dies at the end.

SiverFox

Robin
Malone said:
I've just started rewatching Sopranos with my wife. The show is almost as old as her, so she's never seen it.

It's still great, just finished the first season. I'd forgotten how evil Livia was. I also am a bit puzzled how no one put together Pussy's disappearance meaning he was probably in custody.

Oh, and to weigh in on the Tony's Women discussion from some pages back. Isabella. Holy fuck.

Same here, watching the entire series again.

They didn't believe him, there is a scene between Tony and Paulie where they confirm his stay in Puerto Rico checks out. Guess the feds covered it up well.

SiverFox said:
Malone said:

Same here, watching the entire series again.

They didn't believe him, there is a scene between Tony and Paulie where they confirm his stay in Puerto Rico checks out. Guess the feds covered it up well.

This type of stuff is what makes it so good, the viewer was never led by the nose, you had to piece things together yourself. Much easier now with modern day streaming but back when it was on TV a lot of things like this went over my head.

Im in the little carmine is a really smart manipulator rather than an idiot camp for this reason, he won it all without firing a shot.

Piankhi said:
I totally hated Ralphie getting whacked. Best actor after James Gandolfini by far.

Ralphie was great TV, particularly liked how he wound Paulie up all the time.

He was a psychopath but he was the most honest with himself apart from Sil about what he truly was. Tony always painted himself as the hero even when he was at his worst, making him worse than Ralphie cause he was a complete hippocrite.