The Sopranos Discussion/Appreciation Thread

^ Lucky, great find. I also believe that site has an incredibly detailed analysis of the ending (using clues from the last season).

Needless to say, that place is like the RVF for Sopranos fans. :laugh:

Dusty said:
Oh yeah?

In an early episode T takes his cunt mother to a nursing home. The old foggies are sitting around watching the Rockford Files. You can hear the theme song.

Dusty, there are so many of those little moments in the show.

For instance, in the 1st season, when Tony walks out of the store and is about to be shot by the two hitmen, he's carrying a box of OJ (Godfather reference where Vito Corleone is shot next to a crate of oranges).

Christopher shoots a pastry shop clerk in the foot - Spider from Goodfellas gets shot in the foot by Joe Pesci's character.

By the way, for those who are interested, and thanks to Lucky, here's the analysis of the ending. It's long and highly detailed but worth the read.

http://thechaselounge.net/showthread.php?t=2204

Great post, and the timing couldn't be better, I myself just was looking for a new series to watch after finishing up Generation Kill and though, I'll rewatch the sopranos. I thought about it before but netflix doesn't have it. I just noticed Amazon Prime members video service has pretty much every HBO series from band of brothers to sopranos, eastbound and down, etc.

I'm about 3 seasons in, not only is it just as good as the first time around but it's been so long since I watched it I almost don't remember what happens anymore so it will be a surprise to me. Also I never had HBO, was always watching at friends houses or at college but then home during the summer so I'm sure there's some episodes I missed as well. For some reason I have a hard time remembering the ending but I remember being sorta disapointed and remember it being at a farmhouse.

Great thread, anyone who's looking for a series to watch don't pass up giving sopranos another watch even if you already seen it all

Mentavious

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I walkways said Sopranos and The Wite are the two great American TV SHOWS.

The Wire was slow at times but great at others so it had more high and lows
Sopranos was more even throughout.

Def love both

Sombro

Ostrich
I know they'd never do it, but a Sopranos prequel series would have been great. Focusing on Johnny Boy Soprano and his crew, the family antics that led to Tony and Janice's neuroses, etc. There's plenty of characters and backstory that could've been developed further.

1378425061149.jpg

vlcsnap-00033.png

vlcsnap-00037.png

paulieyoungbg.JPG

WanderingSoul

Crow
Gold Member
Started watching it again two nights ago, because of this thread.

Still great. Haven't watched it in a few years so it's exciting to see again, so much that I don't remember.

Dantes

Pelican
Gold Member
I met James gandolfini about ten years ago. He seemed like a humble and cool guy. He was born to play the role of tony soprano. My favorite episode was the pinebarrens when Chris and Pauly get stranded.

As a viewer you feel like you know Tony soprano and you route for him despite his sociopathic behavior. Fascinating character

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
Sombro said:
I know they'd never do it, but a Sopranos prequel series would have been great. Focusing on Johnny Boy Soprano and his crew, the family antics that led to Tony and Janice's neuroses, etc. There's plenty of characters and backstory that could've been developed further.

1378425061149.jpg

vlcsnap-00033.png

vlcsnap-00037.png

paulieyoungbg.JPG

That's actually a genius idea

I have stopped watching tv series ever since The sopranos ended . What's memorable about this show , is that it teaches you an alpha trait in almost every scene .
I suggest you go on youtube and look for "Lawn wars" between Feech La Manna and Paulie Gaultieri 2 old ruthless mafiosos .

TheSlayer

Pelican
Dantes said:
I met James gandolfini about ten years ago. He seemed like a humble and cool guy. He was born to play the role of tony soprano. My favorite episode was the pinebarrens when Chris and Pauly get stranded.

As a viewer you feel like you know Tony soprano and you route for him despite his sociopathic behavior. Fascinating character

That was an incredibly funny episode as well. It is also one of my favorites.

Chris and Pauly getting stranded was funny and the way they react to each other was hilarious.

:laugh:

Dusty

Peacock
Gold Member
Another observation as I watch Season One, is how clothing fashion and hair styles have not changed much in 15 years. Season one is in 1999, and the clothes and fashions, though a bit dated, are not outrages by today's standards. For frame of reference, if you compared 1999 fashion to 1984 fashion (15 years prior) there would be a huge difference. An even bigger difference would be to compare 1984 to 1969 (another 15 year gap). It seems like clothing and hair style changes slowed down over the years.

I would say music style hasn't changed much in the last 15 years either, while the changes in the prior 15 year intervals referenced above were monumental.

Now the cars in Season One on the other hand look downright ancient!

Dusty said:
Another observation as I watch Season One, is how clothing fashion and hair styles have not changed much in 15 years. Season one is in 1999, and the clothes and fashions, though a bit dated, are not outrages by today's standards. For frame of reference, if you compared 1999 fashion to 1984 fashion (15 years prior) there would be a huge difference. An even bigger difference would be to compare 1984 to 1969 (another 15 year gap). It seems like clothing and hair style changes slowed down over the years.

I would say music style hasn't changed much in the last 15 years either, while the changes in the prior 15 year intervals referenced above were monumental.

Now the cars in Season One on the other hand look downright ancient!

Don't forget though the show is about Italian American Mafioso, not NYC hipsters of the era.

I suspect those dudes (mafia) dress similarly today to how they did in the 20s let alone 90s.

You can see the differences though; last night I watched the episode in season 1 when Paulie and Christopher chase that dude through the woods and shoot him (Jimmy Altieri maybe?). They look comical in their shell suits and basketball boots...

Deluge

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I watched the whole thing last year. No doubt the TV series I have ever watched. My favourite episode is a tie between the season 1 finale, and the one where Tony takes Meadow to visit colleges and ends up strangling a rat in the witness protection program.

Definitely the best show I've ever seen. I watched the first few seasons as they came out, as an 10 or 11 year-old, and at the time thought it was just an intense show about the mob, but it was really so much more than that. It had such a huge impact on future shows, as it made people realize you center a show around a homicidal sociopath and people would still watch it.

One of my favorite lines of the shows is from Tony's first therapy session when he says how "it's good to be in something from the ground floor. I came too late for that and I know. But lately, I'm getting the feeling that I came in at the end. The best is over."

He says it about the mob, but the mob serves as a great metaphor for the post-9/11 world that much of the Sopranos is set in. I know people have been saying that the "best is over" for thousands of years, but its just because it is one of humanity's greatest fears. That we only get to live once, for 80-years if we're lucky, and that we may have missed the peak by just 40 or 50 years.

Kingfisher
I love the scenes (perhaps in later seasons) where Dr. Melfi (Tony's shrink) consults with Elliot (her own shrink), and he can't help but get giddy about her "secret patient" and completely steamroll over her own needs with his need for gossip.

There's even a shrink dinner party where Elliot gets out of line about Melfi and Tony's professional relationship in front of many other shrinks. Hilarious.

Kingfisher
Also, this was insightful (and emotionally heavy!):

At some point later in the video they interview some female co-stars from other movies/works he was in -- one straight up says "and his SEX APPEAL.... just .... yes...." about what surprised her the most about him.

Krivo

Robin
I remember seeing the very first commercials promoting the show. They seemed to portray a goofy, slapstick throwaway comedy.

*Edited to include one of the said commercials

Lucky

Pelican
Gold Member
Krivo said:
I remember seeing the very first commercials promoting the show. They seemed to portray a goofy, slapstick throwaway comedy.

*Edited to include one of the said commercials

Compare that ad to any episode after season 1. When people say that The Sopranos sparked the Golden Age of television they aren't joking. That is how they had to advertise shows in the nineties to get people interested.

All of the great television shows we have today— True Detective, House of Cards, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. — are owed to The Sopranos.

urbannomad

Woodpecker
Definitely the most HAUNTING ending of the Sopranos.You can actually feel Phil's rage....
Tony and Chrissy's relationship is clearly stained, for good.