The Sopranos Discussion/Appreciation Thread

So, what some of you are saying is that the original episodes were like a women's john - you could eat maple walnut ice cream out of the toilets. Sure, there are exceptions, but the new movie is like a men's - piss all over the floor, urinals jammed with cigarettes and moth ball cakes...
Sounds like someone's never had to clean an actual women's public restroom...

Should make a thread for HBO's Rome series appreciation, a show I liked much better than the Sopranos, one that had a lot of interesting factual Italian history interwoven, despite some of the embellishments and the slights against Augustus and the flaws of Brutus. The first few episodes with the dissolution of the alliance between Caesar and Pompey was probably the best of it.

Tony at least had a modicum of knowledge of history, I liked that about him.

IMO The Sopranos was ground breaking when it came out and of course ushered in all the great tv series that followed. It made tv 'cool' again and writers really had to hone their craft to compete. I remember it being a big deal back in the day.

There are some good business lessons and Machiavellian leadership takeaways from the show that one can apply. My favorite example is when Tony makes the decision to ged rid of Feech, after realizing he never loved nor feared Tony, and would always disobey and look to usurp him, so he nipped the threat in the bud.

Its still holds up, and I'll watch some clips the odd time for a laugh, though I now find myself annoyed by Tony's overly nasal voice and the over the top, affected Italian-American cliches. Silvio is like Andrew Dice Clay on steroids lol. I also dislike how many people basically admire the mobster lifestyle and fawn over Tony, when the entire show is essentially about his slow descent into deeper layers of hell. A great portrait of a tortured sociopath.

One thing Chase got bang on was casting Tony Sirico as Paulie. I'm sure many Sopranos fans know he was a legitimate gangster. Good interview:

Jesu Juva

Pigeon
IMO The Sopranos was ground breaking when it came out and of course ushered in all the great tv series that followed. It made tv 'cool' again and writers really had to hone their craft to compete. I remember it being a big deal back in the day.

There are some good business lessons and Machiavellian leadership takeaways from the show that one can apply. My favorite example is when Tony makes the decision to ged rid of Feech, after realizing he never loved nor feared Tony, and would always disobey and look to usurp him, so he nipped the threat in the bud.

Its still holds up, and I'll watch some clips the odd time for a laugh, though I now find myself annoyed by Tony's overly nasal voice and the over the top, affected Italian-American cliches. Silvio is like Andrew Dice Clay on steroids lol. I also dislike how many people basically admire the mobster lifestyle and fawn over Tony, when the entire show is essentially about his slow descent into deeper layers of hell. A great portrait of a tortured sociopath.

One thing Chase got bang on was casting Tony Sirico as Paulie. I'm sure many Sopranos fans know he was a legitimate gangster. Good interview:
That Sirico interview is great. Thanks for posting.