The Star Wars thread

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
We are in a post-capitalist market now which is better described as a hostile foreign oligarchy. Kathleen doesn't need to be fired because she's doing what she's been told to do. Milking maximum dollars from the franchise is no longer a concern for them.

How many of you still have the fifteen bucks in your pocket that you'd have otherwise spent at the cinema?

They get your money one way or another, don't they?

Meanwhile they also have cultural control. It's remarkable how many neckbeards on youtube can't get out of first gear and see the forest for trees. They think that if they complain enough and only buy 200 bucks worth of mouse shit a year instead of 400 bucks worth of mouse shit then the mouse will be forced to give them back their precious little fantasy bubble the way they like it.

:laugh:

Children, all. Big, fat children.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Kathleen Kennedy still doesn't get it, always choosing the belle of the ball (whoever is trendy at the moment)

Star Wars: Taika Waititi Reportedly Approached for New Movie
https://in.ign.com/taika-waititi/14...a-waititi-reportedly-approached-for-new-movie

Is it possible to just get rid of the awkward cringe meta humor and have established lore and characters respected?
"I'll break your lore in a heartbeat, baby!" - Taika Waititi

In another note, RIP Christopher Tolkien, who built upon his father's creation while conserving his legacy and storylines.

Disney FU universe - likely didn't make money with the last movie. It ended up by 1.05 bio. $ - it likely lost them 100$ mio. +

I am really happy that it all collapsed and the collective Youtube ripped apart the Rise of Palpatine-Mary-Sue becuase it was partly a worse movie than the Last Jedi. It was so mind-numbingly insanely stupid that the Last Jedi in contrast was a masterpiece of intelligence despite the more obvious marxist nihlism.

Disney announced a hiatus of movies because the marxist feminist asshats are not able to create anything decent even if they throw 500 mio. $ at it.

They will concentrate on TV to try to rebuild the brand. They are deluded because they are not building and creating anything new. The Mandalorian is a strange concoction with member-berries crap added to it. The fan-base will be dwindling because the young people and kids are not behind it, the old generations who liked it will turn ever more away from it.

The toy sales already speak the clearest language of them all.

Mochihunter

Woodpecker
"They will concentrate on TV to try to rebuild the brand. They are deluded because they are not building and creating anything new. The Mandalorian is a strange concoction with member-berries crap added to it. The fan-base will be dwindling because the young people and kids are not behind it, the old generations who liked it will turn ever more away from it."

Not to mention that outdated serial format like Xena.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Tried to read the novel Thrawn, which is official SW canon (in comparison to the Legends books). It’s unreadable IMO and I’m not even going to finish it, will read the final two Legends Thrawn books instead. Somewhere between Legends and Canon, Timothy Zahn appears to have lost his touch as a writer.

Richard Turpin

Kingfisher
Around the time of TLJ I got into Warhammer 40k lore via the Black Library books (started with the Horus Heresy series). This universe is more than enough to satisfy my Sci-Fi/Fantasy fix with it being so incredibly detailed, ernest and well-written. So much so, that I now feel a little embarrassed that I ever felt any sort of respect for the SW brand in the first place! It's all just so completely dire, childish and simplistic in comparison.

Of course, I'm still fascinated by how all this plays out in terms of the Socio-political backlash against SW. But the movies themselves? Loved them at the time (apart from latest ones) but they've had their time. You could probably say the same for Hollywood in general. Even the good stuff such as Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Irishman have left me disappointed (if entertained), but that's a whole other topic.

Easy_C

Peacock
Oh Lord...

IMHO 40k lore is written for 12 year olds. If you think that’s “deep and well written” wait until you discover the old Battletech novels.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I could never get past the logistical nonsense of the 40k Universe. It scales itself into oblivion to the point where nothing anyone does in the universe really matters at all. In Star Wars the galaxy is affected by vast machinations and can also be altered by the noble acts of the few. 40k just gives the impression of a bunch of ants running around doing ant stuff until they get crushed by a steamroller.

Easy_C

Peacock
It's also mostly just ripping shit off from pop culture.

I prefer Battletech (pre-Jihad) because the authors of that setting give plenty of indication of being extremely well educated. The fall of the Star League has overt references to events like the Russian Revolution (Stephen Amaris is a blend of Rasputin and Lenin), Kerensky has some Caesar parallels except that he was smart enough to realize the Republic was over and leave before the chaos started, and clan society borrows heavily from the ideals and tenets laid out in Plato's Republic right down to having society ruled by a class of "Guardians"(aka the warrior caste) who are trained from children for the job and where a mechanism exists to pull people up into that class or push them down from it.

That and most of the universe makes a lot of sense logistically in a way that Star Wars and 40k don't. There's numerous examples in the fiction where the outcome of campaigns and battles is determined by logistics including the most significant battle in the entire timeline.

Kurgan

Kingfisher
Has anyone watched The Mandalorian? I'm curious about it because Baby Yoda gets talked about constantly at work.

With Star Wars, I'd be fine without any more movies. I'm thinking of installing Dark Forces and giving that a try again.

kel

Ostrich
Kurgan said:
Has anyone watched The Mandalorian? I'm curious about it because Baby Yoda gets talked about constantly at work.

pretendimbabyyoda.png

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
Kurgan said:

With Star Wars, I'd be fine without any more movies. I'm thinking of installing Dark Forces and giving that a try again.

Easy to say The Mandalorian is the best SW media to be released of late. Emphasis SW media.
Rather easy going to watch.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
I haven't watched The Madalorian and won't, since I decided not to support Disney Star Wars anymore, but I'm sick as heck of seeing Baby Yoda everywhere. I don't understand how something so uncreative turned into a nerd culture totem.

Syberpunk

Pelican
Gold Member
CynicalContrarian said:
Kurgan said:

Easy to say The Mandalorian is the best SW media to be released of late. Emphasis SW media.
Rather easy going to watch.

It's simplistic, maybe even a bit bland, but its executed well.
It's a throwback to the Incredible Hulk or A Team or even Indiana Jones, and I like it, it has that blue skies and sand Americana feel that I can't define from media of that era. It confirms that SW worked resonated best as a boys franchise and a boys adventure

The theme is all sorts of great.

But the entire franchise is in permanent decline in spite of this, I think Richard Turpin is correct, that the universe has had its day in a sense, I don't think Star Wars can exist or thrive long in this era, it's not made to survive it, a different generation made it and it shows. It'll become a ghostly non entity.

I think it'll be looked back as a curiosity from the late 20th century, like Robert Howard or Arthur Conan Doyle from their era.

Much like Richard said, The ornate and brilliantly acted and written reimagined Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009) or Dune (novels) for me blew away Star Wars.

Kurgan

Kingfisher
That's a great theme for that show.

Does anyone remember the OST for Republic Commando? Vode An was an awesome soundtrack for the music. It's also one of the Star Wars games that didn't involve Jedi or Sith.

Syberpunk said:
But the entire franchise is in permanent decline in spite of this, I think Richard Turpin is correct, that the universe has had its day in a sense, I don't think Star Wars can exist or thrive long in this era, it's not made to survive it, a different generation made it and it shows. It'll become a ghostly non entity.

I think it'll be looked back as a curiosity from the late 20th century, like Robert Howard or Arthur Conan Doyle from their era.

Much like Richard said, The ornate and brilliantly acted and written reimagined Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009) or Dune (novels) for me blew away Star Wars.

I think that franchises can last much longer than that, but they have to stay true to the core.

Star Trek underwent the same issues even if they got JJ-Abramsed - a guy who made them into STar Wars light, but just dumber. It appeared re-invigorated at first, but that was nothing but flash and no substance. Over time it was clear especially with the STD crap and now Picard, that they ripped out the core of Star Trek - this utopian world of the future.

Star Wars was a different brand - it was positive, mythical, it encapsulated a limitless universe where you can hyperjump everywhere in a world of force users, pirates, gazillion species and planets. It smelled of adventure and that everything was possible.

Despite the claims to this - the Prequels did not destroy the core. They got plenty of new fans with those movies. The Sequels similar to Star Trek STD have only one real group of "fans" - the Tumblr/SJW/Reylo crowd. The dedicated fanbase is as good as gone and the cores of those franchises is destroyed.

That said - even if you remain true to the core and do good fiction every time - there is a natural ebb and flow of it and those franchises would become marginal one day anyway. However that is not the natural transitioning. Sherlock Holmes was still extremely popular almost a century after the conception.

And likely Star Wars as well as on lower volumes Star Trek would be doing fine if they were created by people who remained true to the core. Marvel superhero movies are popular so Star Wars should be too.

But since they prefer to hire incompetent Star Wars hating storygroup apparatchniks, or hacks like JJ Abrams, or marxists like Rian Johnson, or feminist psychos like KKK, then it's over. In the Star Trek world it's the same - hiring people who hate Star Trek like JarJar or Alex Kurtzman (also connected to Jar Jar).

Thus the natural transition was cut short, destroyed deliberately on the alter of social justice, agenda and incompetence.

The Mandalorian by the way - despite the member-berries - already deviates from the core a bit. It's a drab cartoonish work that breaks multiple universe rules that will become more destructive as the seasons go by. They will also add more propaganda as time goes by. And frankly - it's partly dumb as well with already existing undertones of agenda. The positive spirit and grand universe of the first 6 movies is gone. A group of non-Mandalorians Mandalorians (they are not born on the planet Mandalore - just were orphans all across the universe) who never take their helmet off for life? Sounds more like a stupid cult to me. Also they have some kind of galactic super-GPS devices that can let you find anyone all across the universe? Really? Why not send in the troops if you can do that? Bounty hunters are there to find targets because they are hard to find and it can be time consuming. It's a drab small universe where everyone can find you and darkness reigns. Never mind that baby Yoda is supposed to be 50. So what kind of species is that? Toddler until your 70s, child until your 150s, teenager until 250 and grown-up around year 300. But death around 800-1000? They did this for the gimmicks and not logic.

Richard Turpin

Kingfisher
Easy_C said:
Oh Lord...

IMHO 40k lore is written for 12 year olds. If you think that’s “deep and well written” wait until you discover the old Battletech novels.

Maybe that's it! Perhaps it appeals to my inner 12 year old self. In that case, I'm grateful (and amazed) that I still possess that sense of wonder. I may have just been lucky with what I've read so far but most of it has been good stuff. I like my fantasy turned all the way up to 11 and wh40k is at its best for me when dealing in excess.

The universe seems vast (as LDN rightly notes), dark and depressing but for me that just accentuates all the moments of heroism when they come. Even more so when these efforts are totally unnoticed and ineffectual.

I'll keep a look out for Battletech books as the reviews look intriguing. I haven't yet read Dune so I hear I'm in for a treat with that also.

Gonna be a long time before I dip my toe back into the Star Wars universe though ... Ugh!

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
I recall in one of the much earlier Warhammer novels - circa 1995.
Written by a guy by the name of Jack Yeovil if I recall correctly.

The notion of the aging actress, always being replaced by the younger more vibrant girl, only for the cycle to repeat itself ~20 years later.

A good 'red-pill' notion on the nature of aging female beauty way back in ~'95.

Edit.
Looks to be the novel - Genevieve Undead from '93 :

https://www.goodreads.com/series/61631-warhammer