The Tennis Thread

Brosemite

Ostrich
Gold Member
Had a chance to pay a little more attention to some tennis action right now & I must say this....the US Open is probably the most poorly organized grand slam of the 4. Is it me or do they try to put on at least 3-4 women's matches on Arthur Ashe Stadium per day?

For tomorrow, the best match up of the day being Dominic Thiem vs. Juan Martin Del Potro (2009 Champ and ended Roddick's career) is not only being relegated outside of Ashe, but onto the Grandstand.

I get that both Federer & Nadal are past champs albeit with easier predictable matchups, but it doesn't make any sense to put the best men's matchup on the 3rd court in favor of possible blowouts. It also doesn't make any sense to put three women's matches on Ashe tomorrow as well.

This is why I prefer to watch the Aussie Open or Wimbledon because the most deserving matchups & players get first priority on the main courts whereas everything is just about "big names" in the US Open.

USTA is a joke & there's a reason why this country will never develop formidable male contenders heading into the future.

Dantes

Pelican
Gold Member
Brosemite said:
Had a chance to pay a little more attention to some tennis action right now & I must say this....the US Open is probably the most poorly organized grand slam of the 4. Is it me or do they try to put on at least 3-4 women's matches on Arthur Ashe Stadium per day?

For tomorrow, the best match up of the day being Dominic Thiem vs. Juan Martin Del Potro (2009 Champ and ended Roddick's career) is not only being relegated outside of Ashe, but onto the Grandstand.

I get that both Federer & Nadal are past champs albeit with easier predictable matchups, but it doesn't make any sense to put the best men's matchup on the 3rd court in favor of possible blowouts. It also doesn't make any sense to put three women's matches on Ashe tomorrow as well.

This is why I prefer to watch the Aussie Open or Wimbledon because the most deserving matchups & players get first priority on the main courts whereas everything is just about "big names" in the US Open.

USTA is a joke & there's a reason why this country will never develop formidable male contenders heading into the future.

Brosemite,

I couldn't agree more.

Can't someone can't knock the Old Hag "Venus" out already?

The coverage is annoying and typical with the overhype of the women and these mediocre American players.

Funny to watch how the commentators are trying to make the masculine, brut Coco VandeWeghe into the next American tennis sensation.

Brosemite

Ostrich
Gold Member
^ It's not like Thiem or Del Po are boring ass ranked players. Both have plenty of game & are fun players to watch. Heck they didn't even get Louis Armstrong...but friggin Grandstand.

Wozniacki should shut the fuck up about Sugarpova.

Maria got her back though in her response, it was almost like a Trump delivery.

Shapovalov got knocked out today, but he is only 18 and I see him being consistently in the top 3 or 4 with Zverev in the future, which is really not a stretch since basically everyone is saying it.

I think Federer is going to win the US Open

Chevalier De Seingalt

Robin
Gold Member
Sidney Crosby said:
I think Federer is going to win the US Open

I watched Fed's 2nd round 5 setter against Youzhny. Roger really didn't look like himself, he wasn't moving well, reaching for balls, not even trying to chase down balls that he normally would. After he eked out the win I fully expected him to lose the next match. Instead he somehow regained his form and was dominant against Lopez. Hopefully he can keep it up, pretty inspiring to watch. If he wins 3 Slams in one year at the age of 35/36 . . . god damn.

Crap while typing that out I checked the schedule of play for today and WTF Brosemite is right, former US Open champ Del Potro and 6th seed Thiem on grandstand. Meanwhile 3 of the 4 women's matches are on Arthur Ashe. The 4th women's match is between 2 non-name, unseeded, and non-American players and they still get to play on Louis Armstrong stadium??? WTF is going on?

Who the hell even likes women's tennis anyways? I used to occasionally watch a women's match back when Hingis and Justine Henin were playing because they at least had unique styles to their game and played with some craftsmenship. Now it's all just a bunch of whacking the ball as hard as they can until someone misses, without any individuality or uniqueness.

Also they all look like men now.

Chevalier De Seingalt

Robin
Gold Member
Williams sisters eye bleach:

i8FvpR3.jpg

B1txitg.jpg

Russian Maria Kirilenko

The thing that pisses me off about chicks tennis is that I could probably go down to the park and get one of the better amateurs to beat some top ranked girl, well I guess it's pretty much like that with all sports some girl attempts to play.

TripleG

Kingfisher
Gold Member
My comment is coming from someone who was a juniors tournament player and has had 25+ years experience in tennis.
A decent division I male college player or just about any guy on a powerhouse team such as UVA, USC, Stanford, UNC, etc. would beat most women's pros. The gap is huge, especially when it comes to power and speed. Also, has anyone noticed that there are almost no pro women who play with a one-handed back-hand or who can serve and volley? Again the reason is because of lack of upper body strength for the former and lack of foot speed and serve for the latter.

To put it in comparison watching women's tennis is like watching women's basketball, you get some of the same game but acrobatic moves and power shots like dunks and alley-oops are missing.

Here's an article about a 203rd ranked guy playing the Williams sisters back to back

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...lliams-nicole-gibbs-australian-open/96876832/

What was more intriguing at that particular Australian Open was that the two siblings had something of an inflated understanding of their abilities, developed from their being fresh-faced, and still in need of a few life lessons learned. So they marched themselves into the men’s ATP office to announce rather confidently they were ready to beat any tour player ranked around the Top 200 if someone wanted to take the challenge.

It just so happened that Karsten Braasch of Germany, once a top-40 player, but at the time ranked 203rd, was in ear shot. He thought it would be fun so stepped up to say he’d be happy to take them on.

The date was set and the day arrived. Braasch played a warmup round of golf in the morning, then came to Melbourne Park. The threesome went out to a back court where each sister would have a one-set shot at Braasch. Word had spread around the grounds that the event wsa taking place, which caused tournament officials to restrict admittance to the area to only those with badges.

Braasch would smoke cigarettes and sip beer during the changeovers, and to be honest no longer looked the part of a fit professional athlete. It made no matter. Braasch led 5-0 over Serena before winning the set 6-1, and then posted a 6-2 set victory over Venus.

It was all in good fun, but 19 years later, and a record six Australian Open titles later, Williams, laughingly, insisted recall of the event was not in her memory bank.

“I forgot about that, actually,” she said, smiling, on Saturday. “Gosh, I don’t remember that at all. Gosh, that was forever ago. I don’t remember what year it was.

“I have a terrible memory,” she added, still smiling.

Brosemite

Ostrich
Gold Member

On an international level, Thiem is one of the more recognizable & popular players on tour.

The US Open really fucked up by not putting this match on Ashe for two reasons:
1) As the economic capital of the world being NYC, tournament organizers potentially fucked Thiem over because exposing this calibre of a matchup to a general audience could've resulted in more sponsorships for this player.
2) This was also the USTA's opportunity to really generate more exposure for men's tennis & really increase the popularity of the sport amongst a general US audience....and they totally dropped the ball for A) Coco Vanderweigh, B) a Nadal route, and C) a Federer blowout.

Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever...

^I was lucky enough to watch that match from the second row. Energy was insane in there - so many Del Potro fans going crazy for him during the last 3 sets. I was rooting for Thiem personally, the really big guys just don't impress me as much.

Anyway they're always going to put American players and the top ranked players on Ashe over the likes of Del Potro or Thiem. This is who the general audience, who don't know too much about tennis, wants to see most. I'm happy that there are still great matches to be found on the lower stadiums, since not everyone can afford a prime Ashe seat. Shit is expensive.

The Anderson-Isner game was magnificent but real questions being asked about the tiebreak now. Novak or Rafa will have an easy time of it in the final.

Tennis really needs to address the issue because it's really bordering the ridiculous.

Bump.

With the US open coming up and the Big 4 getting older, who do you guys see as the new contenders for dominance?

Everyone says Zverev but I dont see him winning many slams despite his huge talent. Kyrgios is my favorite player but he doesn't seem to give a shit half the time (and admits it lol).

Built to Fade

Woodpecker
Kaizen said:
DelPo might be getting his 2nd us open title this weekend.

Looked impressive in his Fed/Thiem wins.
Maybe in 2019 Juan Martin Del Potro may win a Grand Slam. I hope Del Potro proves me wrong by winning the 2018 US Open final against Novak Djokovic.

I'm not surprised at all that Novak Djokovic made the US Open final. Although it's unfortunate what happened to Rafael Nadal. Nadal definitely pushed himself against Dominic Thiem in the quarter final & couldn't move at all against Del Potro in the semi final. I think Djokovic will win the final against Del Potro in 4 sets, tying Pete Sampras with 14 Grand Slams & then would be a 99.99999999999999999999999% lock to win his 15th Grand Slam at the Novak Djokovic Australian Open in 2019.

You have to consider that Federer, Nadal, Djokovic will have approx. 3-5 years of dominance left, especially Nadal on clay. Murray will have a tough road to reach the top 10 again after hip surgery. Remember what happened to NBA player Isaiah Thomas when he played through his hip troubles. Then there's the veterans making their last push for GS/Masters wins such as Del Potro, Cilic, Raonic, Anderson & Isner (if Isner ever wins his return games).

Here's a live under-22 ranking list (aka the 'Next Gen Rankings': https://live-tennis.eu/en/atp-ranking-under-22). Out of the young players not named Alexander Zverev, I'd guess Denis Shapovalov, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Andrey Rublev, Alex De Minaur & Felix Auger-Aliassime have the potential to reach the top 5 in 5 years.

It's more difficult to identify a transcendental young talent these days. Gone are the days of young GS winners such as 17 year olds Mats Wilander (1982 French Open), Boris Becker (1985 Wimbledon) & Michael Chang (1989 French Open), 19 year old Pete Sampras (1990 US Open) & 20 year old Marat Safin (2000 US Open), who defeated Sampras in the final 10 years after Sampras won his 1st US Open. Lleyton Hewitt's youngest to #1 & Year End #1 record (20 years, 268 days) is unlikely to be broken. Nadal had the best chance for youngest #1 from June 6, 2005 to February 26, 2007 but he had to play prime Federer outside of clay.

I only have a brief opinion about the women's final. I'll be surprised if Serena Williams doesn't get her 24th Grand Slam & 7th US Open against Naomi Osaka.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Tennis is awesome.

Racket I don't have a brand to recommend (not a fanatic or anything) but if you buy second hand consider fresh strings.

First thing I would do is get some lessons so your form isn't fucked off the jump.

Practice techniques: get a bucket of balls, hit serves, fill it up on the other side and repeat.

Hit them against a wall to play against yourself

I would work on forehand first.

Backhand can be done one or two handed. I generally do one hand but some angles two-handed is better.

Also I find cardio is more important than strength in this sport.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Kaizen said:
Might be the only time I'm equally interested in a women's final

Im hoping Osaka takes it..

Yeah women's tennis is watchable, the only other time I watch women's sports is the Olympics. I only watch women's tennis if I'm with my dad and uncles watching Wimbledon or something though.

Built to Fade

Woodpecker
Built to Fade said:
I'll be surprised if Serena Williams doesn't get her 24th Grand Slam & 7th US Open against Naomi Osaka.
Kaizen said:
I'm hoping Osaka takes it.

Out of all the ways I thought the women's final would finish, I didn't expect Serena to have another huge meltdown.
Some things don't change.
The funniest tennis meltdown I've seen (video below, scroll to 0:27):[/URL]"HOW MANY TIMES? HOW MANY TIMES?" PS: It's a great reaction video.

godfather dust said:
Tennis is awesome.

Racket I don't have a brand to recommend (not a fanatic or anything) but if you buy second hand consider fresh strings.

First thing I would do is get some lessons so your form isn't fucked off the jump.

Practice techniques: get a bucket of balls, hit serves, fill it up on the other side and repeat.

Hit them against a wall to play against yourself

I would work on forehand first.

Backhand can be done one or two handed. I generally do one hand but some angles two-handed is better.

Also I find cardio is more important than strength in this sport.

After a certain price range (>$150), racquet frames are basically the same with slight mass differences. You want to find a "head light" frame, meaning that the centre of mass is closer to the handle. One handed backhand players usually prefer a racquet that is more "head light" than a racquet used by a two handed backhand player.

If you hit a fast ball and don't have much money to burn, invest in a thick string. Thicker strings last longer but the downside is the lack of feel. The opposite is true for thin strings. I recommend polyester strings as they last longer than gut & filament strings. Make sure that the string you use is not too stiff. Recreational players have made the mistake of using 55+ lbs tension for their stiff polyester strings. That is the fastest way to getting "tennis elbow". Polyester strings should be used at 40-50 lbs of tension.

As for lessons, you want a coach who has a good understanding of the fundamental body movements of each type of shot & stroke production.

Not only cardio is important, it is also critical to coordinate each body segment in the correct order to achieve effortless, repeatable swings.
This is the peak tennis body. /s
gettyimages-1027486750-e1536232738729.jpg