The Traditional Latin Mass (TLM) Thread

Biscuits_Gravy

Robin
Catholic
Try to find an SSPX chapel if one is available near you. The SSPX will give the Mass in Latin, forever.
Not to derail thread (as I’m sure there is an SSPX thread), but How has your experience been? It seems like there is always so much drama and debate over these priests and groups literally just trying to give the Mass the respect and dignity it deserves and had for over a thousand years in the West.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Orthodox
E. Michael Jones on the Latin Mass

I don’t think that EMJ is expressing himself very clearly here, but I think he is warning people not to get swept up into a false dialectic. By focusing on two different liturgical “parties,” ie Latin Mass vs Novus Ordo, people miss out on the broader picture that motivated liturgical reform in the first place.

In a similar way, I don’t think, for example, it’s productive to get angry at Novus Ordo laypeople. They are just being swept up in cultural trends beyond their understanding and deserve sympathy, not ridicule.

Also, I do think that it’s a fair analogy to compare diocesan Latin Massers as being Neo-cons (as opposed to SSPX and some stricter FSSP groups).

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
Not to derail thread (as I’m sure there is an SSPX thread), but How has your experience been? It seems like there is always so much drama and debate over these priests and groups literally just trying to give the Mass the respect and dignity it deserves and had for over a thousand years in the West.
To be 100% honest all the drama that is involved only manifests itself online. I'd say 95% of my fellow parishioners have no idea about the constant bickering back and forth between the trad camps. They just want to come to Mass and like you said keep the dignity and purity that it has had. They see the issues with Modernity and they reject it. If you want to know more send me a message, that way this doesn't derail the thread. Happy to chat.

Biscuits_Gravy

Robin
Catholic
I don’t think that EMJ is expressing himself very clearly here, but I think he is warning people not to get swept up into a false dialectic. By focusing on two different liturgical “parties,” ie Latin Mass vs Novus Ordo, people miss out on the broader picture that motivated liturgical reform in the first place.

In a similar way, I don’t think, for example, it’s productive to get angry at Novus Ordo laypeople. They are just being swept up in cultural trends beyond their understanding and deserve sympathy, not ridicule.

Also, I do think that it’s a fair analogy to compare diocesan Latin Massers as being Neo-cons (as opposed to SSPX and some stricter FSSP groups).
You make some great points. EMJ seems to avoid altogether giving some clear answers to questions people want to hear his answer on. Although I can understand why he does since it contributes to that same dialectic.

You are very correct though, the creation of the dialectic (which may be deliberate), is one of the main problems. I think this is where strong leadership from the Pope and the Bishops should come into play, but I think that is lacking and what I desperately pray for more as we move into the future.

Anomaly

Sparrow
Non-Christian
I am a convert to Catholicism since April. I too belong to an SSPX chapel. As @BasedBaker said, all the drama seems to be nearly online. The parishioners I know do not even know or know little about memes, forums, social media personalities. Most of them are simply too busy with their families and actual Church activities. Some home school their children. I love going to my chapel and after attending it for the first time, I have had a hard time stepping into another one since.

Biscuits_Gravy

Robin
Catholic
Th
I am a convert to Catholicism since April. I too belong to an SSPX chapel. As @BasedBaker said, all the drama seems to be nearly online. The parishioners I know do not even know or know little about memes, forums, social media personalities. Most of them are simply too busy with their families and actual Church activities. Some home school their children. I love going to my chapel and after attending it for the first time, I have had a hard time stepping into another one since.
This is good to know, and honestly it makes me wonder if ive Been spending too much time reading into debates, and theology and the “Vatican News” and the “dialectics” as one poster mentioned. I don’t want to keep my head in the sand, but I also don’t want to constantly be aware of the thousands of battles being waged against conservative Christianity (ortho, Catholic, and Protestant) of which I can do very little except positively contribute to a parish that is standing strong in the face of this.

I have also been finding that within these communities, schole groups, homeschool, and classical education schools are common. Can anybody speak to that, or refer me to the right place?

Anomaly

Sparrow
Non-Christian
Th

This is good to know, and honestly it makes me wonder if ive Been spending too much time reading into debates, and theology and the “Vatican News” and the “dialectics” as one poster mentioned. I don’t want to keep my head in the sand, but I also don’t want to constantly be aware of the thousands of battles being waged against conservative Christianity (ortho, Catholic, and Protestant) of which I can do very little except positively contribute to a parish that is standing strong in the face of this.

I have also been finding that within these communities, schole groups, homeschool, and classical education schools are common. Can anybody speak to that, or refer me to the right place?
Have you looked at locations of SSPX or SSPV chapels?

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic

I was attending an SSPX intermittently. I found the Priests , Liturgy, Congregants to be very good. This parish didn't require a mask, as so many of the parishioners were obviously on to the scamdemic. The parish seems to have alot going on but I never really plugged into it, partially because of the distance, and partially because of the pandemic causing rule changes, closures, up here in Canada. I am still on their email list, apparently they are doing coffee and cookies after Mass. An FSSP I used to attend had that and I found it to be a pretty nice way to get to know people.

Recently, I am attending a Diocesan Latin Mass as it is a little closer (40 minute vs 70 minute drive). I am planning to move closer to that area so am trying it out. Masks are required and there actually isn't communion due to a decision from the Bishop that communion on the tongue is dangerous. OH man. The Diocesan Latin mass doesn't seem to have the same tight community, as it's one mass/week, and the Church runs other masses.

Cleotis

Banned
Orthodox Inquirer
Very upset today. An update, the TLM community that I have been attending over the last 2 years was informed this Sunday that we will be forced out of the host parish in the coming months.

The community has nearly tripled in size over the years, is youthful with large and reverent families and liturgical dignity. It also brings in more Attendees at Mass than the parishioners itself. With that, it brings in more money as well and the TLM community’s eviction will likely lead to the closure of the parish altogether due to lost rent. The Novus Ordo community is virtually non existent at this parish.
This isn’t about numbers, and to the extent that they tell us anything, Sacred Scripture plainly tells us that there will come a time when Evil will flourish and only a small remnant will endure in the true faith.

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
I am not sure if this has been posted in this thread or not, but in my search for a Latin mass near me I came across Traditio.com which has a frequently updated Traditional Catholic Directory
Good source for locating a TLM, but a lot of the information on it is dated. Also, it's from a sede lean so it attacks the SSPX calling it untraditional. Not saying you have these intentions, just pointing out.

Biscuits_Gravy

Robin
Catholic
Good source for locating a TLM, but a lot of the information on it is dated. Also, it's from a sede lean so it attacks the SSPX calling it untraditional. Not saying you have these intentions, just pointing out.
I’ve had a hard time finding up to date TLM communities as well. I suppose there’s a good thing in that they don’t try to sell and “advertise” like many other churches yet it would be good to have a reliable resource to find them especially as more Novus Ordo parishes grow more and more intolerant of the Roman rite and become more pozzed.

I’ve had a hard time finding up to date TLM communities as well. I suppose there’s a good thing in that they don’t try to sell and “advertise” like many other churches yet it would be good to have a reliable resource to find them especially as more Novus Ordo parishes grow more and more intolerant of the Roman rite and become more pozzed.
Hope these help.

-Fr. Hector Lazaro Romero’s Directory of Non-Una Cum Mass Centers (PDF)

-Lux Vera Directory of Mass Locations in the United States

-Lux Vera Directory of Mass Locations in the World (outside the United States)

-Sedevacantist Mass Centers (Global Map View, updated)

This is a partial list of Mass centers recommended by St. Gertrude the Great Church, for the convenience of people traveling or who do not live near one of our chapels.

Please see also the directory of Mass centers operated by:
- The Congregation of Mary Immaculate Queen (CMRI)

ALABAMA

St. Jude Mission
33741 Straughn School Rd..
Andalusia, AL 36421
337-278-4655
Fr. Francis Miller

ARIZONA

Phoenix Sunday Mass 9:00 AM
For other times and locations, please call.
352-238-3983
Fr. Federico Palma

CALIFORNIA

Blessed Sacrament Church
1150 Mellus St.
Martinez, CA 94553
925-228-9852
Fr. Thomas Zapp

St. John Bosco Church
1606 Imperial Ave.
Modesto, CA 95358
(209) 599-6242
Fr. Julian Larrabee

COLORADO

Our Lady of Victory Chapel
2566 Sable Blvd.
Aurora, CO 80011
303-364-8040
Fr. Eugene Berry

FLORIDA

Most Holy Trinity Seminary
1000 Spring Lake Hwy.
Brooksville, FL 34602
Sunday: 9:00 Low, 10:30 High
352-799-0541
Bp. Donald Sanborn

Queen of All Saints Mission
Vero Beach Women's Club
1534 21st St.
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Sunday: 10:00 am
352-799-0541
Bp. Donald Sanborn

Holy Cross Roman Catholic Mission
Homestead Village Community Room
7830 Pine Forest Blvd.
Pensacola, FL 32526
337-278-4655
Fr. Francis Miller

ILLINOIS

Holy Face Traditional Catholic Mission
Holiday Inn Effingham, Truman Room
1301 Avenue of Mid-America
Effingham, IL 62401
317-762-4716
Fr. Charles McGuire

LOUISIANA

Christ the King Catholic Church
510 NW Evangeline Thruway
Lafayette, LA 70501
337-261-1225
Fr. Francis Miller

MICHIGAN

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church
16414 E. 14 Mile Rd.
Fraser, MI 48026
586-979-1272
Fr. Oscar Saavedra

St. Dominic Savio Chapel
7095 Kochville Rd.
Freeland, MI 48063
989-692-0029
Fr. Daniel Ahern

Our Lady of the Snows Chapel
Murner & Parmater Rds.
Gaylord, MI 49735
989-786-4595
Fr. Daniel Ahern

NORTH DAKOTA

Our Lady of the Praries
Minot, ND
978-764-6599
Fr. Stephen McKenna
[email protected]
Cordinators: Gerald and Carmilia Marden (701-339-7726)

St. Teresa of Avila Mission
Grand Forks, ND 58201
978-764-6599
Fr. Stephen McKenna
[email protected]

OHIO

St. Gertrude the Great
4900 Rialto Rd.
West Chester, OH 45069
513-645-4212
Bp. Daniel Dolan

St. Claire's Mission
Chillicothe, OH 45601
740-775-5995
Fr. Vili Lehtoranta

TEXAS

Our Mother of Perpetual Help Chapel
4161 Square Dance Rd.
Horizon, TX 79938
978-764-6599
Fr. Stephen McKenna
[email protected]

St. Anthony Mission
2410 Superior St., Suite C
Pantego, TX 76013
978-764-6599
Fr. Stephen McKenna
[email protected]

Our Lady of Sorrows
Austin, TX
978-764-6599
Fr. Stephen McKenna
[email protected]
Coordinator: Michael Ruse (713-419-8141)

VIRGINIA

St. Augustine Church
12083 Smith Neck Rd.
Carrollton, VA 23314
757-357-5213
Fr. Daniel Ahern

WASHINGTON

Our Lady of Guadalupe Church
3914 N. Lidgerwood St.
Spokane, WA 99207
509-489-6602
Fr. Gerald Kasik

Holy Redeemer Chapel
11824 10th Ave. SW
Seattle, WA 98146
206-901-9991
Fr. Ercoli

WISCONSIN

St. Hugh of Lincoln Church
2401 S. 12th St.
Milwaukee, WI 53215
414-645-1525
Fr. Charles McGuire

St. Joseph of Arimathea
Mass chapel in Novitzke Funeral Home
322 Sherry Ave.
Park Falls, WI 54552
978-764-6599
Fr. Stephen McKenna
[email protected]
Cordinator: Ken Busalacchi (715-661-1680)

CANADA

Quebec
Mission Saints Martyrs Canadiens
Fr. Damien Dutertre

Newfoundland
St. Athanasius Mission
St. John's, Newfoundland
709-800-7414
Fr. Daniel Ahern
989-692-0029; [email protected]
bimonthly as announced

Nova Scotia
St. Monica Mission
Halifax
Fr. Daniel Ahern
bimonthly as announced

Our Lady Mystical Rose Mission
Amherst
902-667-9390
[email protected]
Fr. Daniel Ahern
bimonthly as announced

Prince Edward Island
St. Pascal Baylon Mission
Summerside, PE
902-436-3790
Fr. Daniel Ahern

AUSTRALIA

Victoria - Melbourne
Mary Help of Christians Chapel
3464 Warburton Hwy
Warburton, VIC 3799
Phone: 61 400 222 351
Fr. Philip Eldracher
[email protected]
Mass on all Sundays and Holydays, and most weekdays, as announced

Victoria - Wangaratta
Mary Help of Christians Mission
At the Wangaratta Girl Guide's Hall
Ryan Avenue
Wangaratta, VIC 3677
Fr. Philip Eldracher
[email protected]
Weekend Masses, once a month, as announced

New South Wales - Sydney
Claremont Meadows, NSW 2747
Fr. Philip Eldracher
[email protected]
Monthly Mass as announced

Queensland - Brisbane
At the Oxley Girl Guide's Hall
32 Ellen Street
Oxley, QLD 4075
Fr. Philip Eldracher
[email protected]
Weekend Masses, once a month, as announced

South Australia - Adelaide
Marleston, SA 5033
Fr. Philip Eldracher
[email protected]
Bi-monthly as announced

NIGERIA
Fr. Bede Nkamuke
[email protected]

St. Patrick's Catholic Church
Isolo, Lagos State

St. Philomena's Cathoilc Church
Porthacourt, Rivers State

St. Louis de Montfort's Chapel
Nekeda, Imo State

St. Francis of Assisi Centre
Calabar, Cross Rivers State

Traditional Latin Mass Apostolate
Umunze, Anambra State

EUROPE

Mater Boni Consilii Institute (IMBC)
(For Masses in non-English speaking countries click their website's "other languages" flags to access additional locations.)

UK - London
Tridentine Mass Society

Hungary
Fr. Arnold Trauner
Queen of Heaven Chapel

Poland
Fr. Rafal Trytek
http://www.sedevacante.eu

Biscuits_Gravy

Robin
Catholic
To anyone on this thread, I believe I’ve found an SSPX chapel near my home. Just out of curiosity, as the Pope continues to snuff and eradicate the Tridentine Mass, will the SSPX play ball. It feels like sooner or later they will be backed into a corner?

I guess what I’m asking, since I don’t know, does the SSPX bring in new Priests, perform sacraments, can they be sustained beyond a few years or have they been neutralized by things like Motu Proprio and I believe the latest developments on that document by the Pope? Are they allowed to open more chapels?? Thanks.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I guess what I’m asking, since I don’t know, does the SSPX bring in new Priests, perform sacraments, can they be sustained beyond a few years or have they been neutralized by things like Motu Proprio and I believe the latest developments on that document by the Pope? Are they allowed to open more chapels?? Thanks.

If I recall correctly, SSPX does not have any bishops so they cannot ordain new priests. They rely on taking already-ordained Novus Ordo priests and training them. They are outside the church administration so they can open as many chapels as they want as long as they have the resources.

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
To anyone on this thread, I believe I’ve found an SSPX chapel near my home. Just out of curiosity, as the Pope continues to snuff and eradicate the Tridentine Mass, will the SSPX play ball. It feels like sooner or later they will be backed into a corner?

Great to hear you hear have found and SSPX chapel near you. You are very fortunate to live near one as the mission of the SSPX is more vital today than ever before. The SSPX will continue to offer the Mass in Latin, forever. So that should quell any fears you may have. Take a look at their website and then go talk to a priest at the chapel. They will answer any question you have. There is so much misinformation put out there about the Society you need to go to the actual source.

Also, give the podcast they produce a listen. God Bless.

Palestrina

Banned
Trad Catholic

Francis knows, of course, that people will now flock to the SSPX. I expect that he has a trump card up his sleeve for them. He detests them, after all, because they stand (at least in popular perception) for traditional Catholicism and therefore for everything he hates.

Now Francis knows that before long, the SSPX will need more bishops. I suspect it is there that he will play his joker. Ultimately, they have very few possibilities: either go underground, or abandon the TLM altogether, or join a schismatic group like the Eastern Orthodox, OR admit that Bergoglio is not a true pope (because, among many other things, a true pope could not suppress a Catholic rite of the Mass in favor of a Protestant service, which is what Montini tried to do and which Bergoglio is now following. That should speak volumes to them, just as inserting the name of a false pontiff in the Canon of the Mass should ring alarm bells).

I guess it's back to the 90s for the SSPX, and it'll soon be it for the FSSP - if they don't want to be another SSPX.

The sedevacantists tried to tell people this was a trap...