The TV Series Thread

CaptainS

Hummingbird
Season 2 of The Boys will feature Aya Cash as Stormfront. In the comic, Stormfront is a dude but they've switched him for a chick who describes the character as "a feminist". Too bad, I liked the first season.

FlyXuTm.jpg

BlastbeatCasanova

Kingfisher
Simeon_Strangelight said:
< I read the comics of The Boys. That is good stuff. The TV series is semi-woke and half-destroyed even if they have good scenes and characters in it. It's at times insufferable in "female empowerment". It doesn't have that in the comics at all. They changed quite a bit and for agenda.

Though if you don't know the comics, then I guess it's akin to the Witcher - if you don't know the games or books, then it's relative ot the SJW-fests out there almost anti-woke. It's not, but whatever....

Captainstabbin said:
Season 2 of The Boys will feature Aya Cash as Stormfront. In the comic, Stormfront is a dude but they've switched him for a chick who describes the character as "a feminist". Too bad, I liked the first season.

FlyXuTm.jpg

I feel that, I read that they did some gender bending with some of the characters and I'm sure if I was familiar with the source material the show wouldn't be as enjoyable. Ignorance is bliss

Captainstabbin said:
I saw this pop up on the download sites, it's on Hulu. She's dressed like Steve Jobs and put through enough filters to smooth her skin to comedic levels.

GslMRLE.jpg

That picture is very reminiscent of Elizabeth Holmes of the Theranos scandal infamy. They probably have a lot of in common

< Yeah - some shows are more enjoyable to the people if they don't know the source material.

People who like The Boys comics don't particularly like the show. They even made the men less masculine - the black Boy should be a giant muscular marine, the female heroes were overpowered. Some race-bending would be fine, but once they power-up the women and de-power the men, then you know that it's crap.

They could have easily depicted the world exactly as in the comics - even hinting towards the superpower-drug affecting the psyche of supes making most of them crazy. It had themese of corporate greed and dirty politics - and lots of hypocrites. But it also had honest heroism of the main pure character of Huey and the Butcher and his crew being crazy but ultimately moral men.

But they do have to contort and change because of agenda, so they couldn't just let it be. I am sure that the next seasons will get woker and woker.

CaptainS

Hummingbird
The new season of Penny Dreadful in insufferable. It's set in 1938 Los Angeles where all white men are evil racists and sexists and almost all Hispanics are kind-hearted and tolerant. And there are Nazis for some reason. And the Nazi doctor literally uses "America First" as his slogan...

Days of Broken Arrows

Crow
Gold Member
MeTV is re-running "The Waltons" weekdays at noon. For those too young to remember it, the show was a '70s drama about a large family in rural Virginia living through the Depression Era.

Back then, "The Waltons" seemed like touchy-feeling homespun fare -- the TV equivalent of a John Denver song.

But I recently tuned in and was surprised to find that it's somewhat subversive these days. The characters have a healthy skepticism of just about everything we do here: City folk who put on airs, phony politicians, people without morals, education system bureaucrats, grifters, and people with vices (i.e. drinking and gambling). There is a major emphasis on family and self-sufficiency. Seemed quaint then; seems visionary now.

In other words, it's the antithesis of every modern TV show ever made, save maybe "Blue Bloods." There is comedy, but no irony. There is drama, but (usually) no dramatics. It doesn't look down on its rural characters -- or country life in general.

I'm especially impressed with the character of John Walton, the family's patriarch, who was played by the late actor Ralph Waite. He mediates the family's troubles with a balance of wisdom and humor you don't see in TV characters anymore.

I'm surprised this show is keeping me entertained, but the stories are engaging. The characters are based on the family of the show's creator, Earl Hamner, Jr., who is probably best known these days for writing one of the most poignant "Twilight Zone" episodes, "The Hunt."

FlyXuTm.jpg

O gee, season 1 was so awesome, I hope they don't turn this into another masturbatory female empowerment propaganda piece.

Although this might have potential of a veiled anti-feminist message, given that Stormfront is the result of a Nazi experiment in the comic books. So this is where the Feminazi comes in.

The latter one would hit the nail on the head.

I have to update my opinion on Last Kingdom. Season 3 has much worse writing than the previous two. Not sure if they got a new writer or what but there are gotchas, dumb ploys to move the plot forward, characters not acting how they usually do, etc. The first two seasons were great though.

Beekeeper

Pigeon
I have just finished both seasons of Dark on Netflix; others have written about it much more eloquently than I have, but it is a truly fantastic show. Brilliant cinematography and use of sound all around, and a slow burn plot that just keeps on giving. There is some of the usual Netflix propaganda in there, but it thankfully very much takes the back seat to the story and motivations of the characters. The writers of this show actually understand how to make your characters believable and human, and weave them into a complex story that does not rely on cheap scares or numerous conveniences to further its plot. As an old-school Sci-fi and mystery junkie, it scratched my itch. It puts nearly every american Netflix show to shame and rumors have it the final Season 3 will be airing in June; if it keeps up the quality then the show will go down for me as one of the best I have watched in the last 10 years.

I have also just finished Season 1 of Kingdom, a South Korean alternative history tv show which I highly recommend. There is a web of political intrigue and power plays playing out across a country where death stalks the land. Season 1 is only 6 episodes long but it is an absolute roller-coaster ride, full of action, adventure, horror and drama. Also, it is amazingly refreshing to see a Netflix TV show with no gratuitous sex scenes or nudity, or drug use. The 15 rating comes from the horror elements and some pretty brutal fight sequences.

(SLIGHT SPOILERS)

For saying it goes against most horror tropes by revealing the monster very early on (in the title sequence), it then keeps it going through a continual development of the plot, blackmail and extortion, brilliant action sequences and cinematography (clearly inspired by The Lord of the Rings, amongst others), and interesting characters.

(END)

There are virtually no SJW-isms here; there are traditional gender roles aplenty and, in the first episode the Queen is called a wench. 9/10, would watch again. I hope that Season 2 is just as good.

For anybody interested, the trailer is a good depiction of the series as a whole with no major spoilers.

Hypno

Crow
MeTV is re-running "The Waltons" weekdays at noon. For those too young to remember it, the show was a '70s drama about a large family in rural Virginia living through the Depression Era.

Back then, "The Waltons" seemed like touchy-feeling homespun fare -- the TV equivalent of a John Denver song.

But I recently tuned in and was surprised to find that it's somewhat subversive these days. The characters have a healthy skepticism of just about everything we do here: City folk who put on airs, phony politicians, people without morals, education system bureaucrats, grifters, and people with vices (i.e. drinking and gambling). There is a major emphasis on family and self-sufficiency. Seemed quaint then; seems visionary now.

In other words, it's the antithesis of every modern TV show ever made, save maybe "Blue Bloods." There is comedy, but no irony. There is drama, but (usually) no dramatics. It doesn't look down on its rural characters -- or country life in general.

I'm especially impressed with the character of John Walton, the family's patriarch, who was played by the late actor Ralph Waite. He mediates the family's troubles with a balance of wisdom and humor you don't see in TV characters anymore.

I'm surprised this show is keeping me entertained, but the stories are engaging. The characters are based on the family of the show's creator, Earl Hamner, Jr., who is probably best known these days for writing one of the most poignant "Twilight Zone" episodes, "The Hunt."

Good night, Elizabeth.

Days of Broken Arrows

Crow
Gold Member
The new season of Penny Dreadful in insufferable. It's set in 1938 Los Angeles where all white men are evil racists and sexists and almost all Hispanics are kind-hearted and tolerant. And there are Nazis for some reason. And the Nazi doctor literally uses "America First" as his slogan...

Wasn't this also the thrust of "Mad Men" and isn't it the focus of "The Miserable Mrs. Maisel" or whatever it's called? I don't watch much modern propagand...er, television, but "White Man Bad!" seems to be the overriding theme.

Of course, you could also look at the bright side. At least white men figure into the equation, as opposed to the Top 40, where all white guys have been segregated into country unless they pretend they're black.

etwsake

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Since I don't watch TV nor own a cable, I was somewhat amused by this tweet I saw about some TV show.

I don't know....I don't think it's THAT bad. I mean forming a wall is a bit much. But if I saw a young girl and her top got ripped off and her titties were showing, I'd try to block people's view til she got herself decent. Eh. I guess the blue pill still runs deep in my veins.

Salinger

Kingfisher
Wasn't this also the thrust of "Mad Men" and isn't it the focus of "The Miserable Mrs. Maisel" or whatever it's called? I don't watch much modern propagand...er, television, but "White Man Bad!" seems to be the overriding theme.

Mad Men wasn't like that at all. It had a few moments of Globohomo, but because the show took place in the 60s, it was dealt with differently than a show in present times.

The protag for the series, Don Draper, is about as alpha as you can get so I would recommend it both to you and every other guy who has taken the red pill. Oh yeah...and it's also one of the best TV dramas ever made.

Mad Men wasn't like that at all. It had a few moments of Globohomo, but because the show took place in the 60s, it was dealt with differently than a show in present times.

The protag for the series, Don Draper, is about as alpha as you can get so I would recommend it both to you and every other guy who has taken the red pill. Oh yeah...and it's also one of the best TV dramas ever made.
I must ask you a question. What's so alpha about him? He wears a suit? He's tall? Or is it the fact that he's not comfortable talking about himself? I never really got the fascination with Don Draper. I get the impression a lot of people think he's alpha because he sleeps in his office, and smokes and drinks a lot. That's actually a sign of weakness. Sometimes it's as if he smokes more cigarettes that he says sentences!

I kind of think he's a fool. Seeing him give a lift to a young couple only to end up getting drugged and hit over the back of the head. Seeing him get slapped around by a hooker, or crying like a baby to Peggy after the other fella beat him up. And then he tried to be a white knight to the red head when she whored herself out for money, only for her to pat his face like a 12 year old boy! None of these things would happen to James Bond.

I also think he's kind of stupid. He tries to solve every problem with money. For example his solution to dealing with his half brother was to give him a bunch of money and act like the guy was trying to bribe him. His brother didn't give a shit about his stupid fake name. That was fucking cold! How poor at understanding people can you be? And don't forget he was willing to dessert his family after a threat from Pete Campbell... remember he wanted to run away with that Jewish one in season one? How beta is that. She fucking told him to get his act together.

And I do not think strangers would tolerate his coldness in the real world. Maybe in the work place people would because he's the boss or whatever. But they constantly show him being rude to strangers. Remember the teacher he was banging. When he was introduced to her brother he couldn't even say hello to the fella. He might be somewhat alpha, but Christ he's one rude fucker. I would not be helping Don out if I saw that he'd a flat tyre!

In reality I don't think young girls in bars would be hovering around an old grumpy silent man like Don if he didn't say anything and was only capable of blowing smoke in their face. There's probably more to be learned from the characters Pete Campbell and Roger as regards how to get women.

Salinger

Kingfisher
I must ask you a question. What's so alpha about him? He wears a suit? He's tall? Or is it the fact that he's not comfortable talking about himself? I never really got the fascination with Don Draper. I get the impression a lot of people think he's alpha because he sleeps in his office, and smokes and drinks a lot. That's actually a sign of weakness. Sometimes it's as if he smokes more cigarettes that he says sentences!

I kind of think he's a fool. Seeing him give a lift to a young couple only to end up getting drugged and hit over the back of the head. Seeing him get slapped around by a hooker, or crying like a baby to Peggy after the other fella beat him up. And then he tried to be a white knight to the red head when she whored herself out for money, only for her to pat his face like a 12 year old boy! None of these things would happen to James Bond.

I also think he's kind of stupid. He tries to solve every problem with money. For example his solution to dealing with his half brother was to give him a bunch of money and act like the guy was trying to bribe him. His brother didn't give a shit about his stupid fake name. That was fucking cold! How poor at understanding people can you be? And don't forget he was willing to dessert his family after a threat from Pete Campbell... remember he wanted to run away with that Jewish one in season one? How beta is that. She fucking told him to get his act together.

And I do not think strangers would tolerate his coldness in the real world. Maybe in the work place people would because he's the boss or whatever. But they constantly show him being rude to strangers. Remember the teacher he was banging. When he was introduced to her brother he couldn't even say hello to the fella. He might be somewhat alpha, but Christ he's one rude fucker. I would not be helping Don out if I saw that he'd a flat tyre!

In reality I don't think young girls in bars would be hovering around an old grumpy silent man like Don if he didn't say anything and was only capable of blowing smoke in their face. There's probably more to be learned from the characters Pete Campbell and Roger as regards how to get women.

Interesting topic. Let's dive in...

It's true that Draper isn't as alpha as James Bond. His character arc in the series is huge as it starts him out as the man on top of the world both in his personal and professional life and slowly has him spiraling down as the series progresses.

However, I think you're nitpicking on a lot of the things he does. After all, he's human like the rest of us so not every move he makes is the correct one.

If you remember, he was raised in a whorehouse, so he's got issues with infidelity. The situation with the hooker was beta, but possibly tied to his past and how he was raised.

I don't think him wanting to run away with the Jewess was beta at all though. He thought that Pete would rat him out and he'd have to face serious jail time. While it makes sense from her perspective not to go with him, who could blame him for wanting to run?

If you look at the way Don holds himself, it's very alpha. He's always in charge, knows how to lead in a relationship, and is a very cunning businessman.

Compare him to Pete who is sneaky, jealous, talks behind people's backs, and cannot be trusted. He basically represents your every day man (or at least one in the big cities where males are ultra-competitive). Hardly a man to admire.

Now Roger on the other hand is classy, good with women, but not a leader. I think even Burt said that in one episode. Charming? For sure. But he's not the one you want in charge of things. So by definition, he's not a classic alpha either. He too is human, but with many alpha traits.

No man in this series is James Bond, but then again, what character can live up to those expectations?

CaptainS

Hummingbird
The the Bachelor universe comes "Labor of Love". A show about:

In this dating reality show with a twist, a woman who is ready to start a family, but has yet to meet the potential father of her children, decides amongst aspiring fathers-to-be who go through challenges that put their parenting and partnership skills to the test. Each week, the mother-to-be, with the help of host Kristin Davis as her sounding board, decides who advances to the next week and gets another chance to prove themselves worthy of starting a family with her. Otherwise, she may choose to continue on the path to motherhood on her own.

Is the woman a 22 year old virgin from a great family and wanting to be a SAHM? No she's Kristy Katzmann, a 41-year old, smart, successful career woman who is ready to have a child and start a family, but has yet to meet the potential father of her children. Her amazing career is being a sales rep at Garden of Life. o_O

She looked good on the Bachelor - but that was 13 years ago.

ES8eyRm.jpg