The TV Series Thread

Salinger

Kingfisher
Another great series of that kind is "How I met your mother".
It challenges Friends on any given day.

I liked it too. It's not quite as subversive as the current shows on TV and was well-written and funny. I especially liked the character of Ted, the hopeless romantic who has somewhat old-fashioned values that clash with the morals of 21st century women in NYC.

TheMaleBrain

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I liked it too. It's not quite as subversive as the current shows on TV and was well-written and funny. I especially liked the character of Ted, the hopeless romantic who has somewhat old-fashioned values that clash with the morals of 21st century women in NYC.
Dude

Ted was "EVIL". Check it out:

The show "Alone" is pretty incredible. They drop off 10 people in various harsh and unforgiving landscapes, left to fight the elements and do their best to survive and thrive. Last person to tap out wins half a million bucks.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Also, on a Sci-Fi note - I like the StarGate SG-1 series. StarGate Atlantis is also good.
Highly recommended.

Reasons:
1. Good character development.
2. Solid enemies (although sometimes cartoonish)
3. Nice development of philosophical idea

The main con is that sometimes at the 35 minute mark the writers say to themselves: "Oh god. I need to wrap it up quickly". So in some chapters the ending is brief and the story is not solid enough. But this is occasional.

I love Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, they're my favorite of the (semi) campy sci-fi series I've seen. The show is somewhat silly, but charming. I always felt the cast on SG-1 had great chemistry. There's plenty of sci-fi with more compelling storylines and mythology, but SG-1 is fun because it feels like you're hanging out with the characters on whatever weird adventure they're facing today. It's fun in a low-brow, pulpy way that's rare today.

The show also managed to be pro-America while being skeptical of government, in a strange way it's nearly the most "conservative" show I've seen, from a political standpoint. Also very little Agenda present (aside from an awful feminist episode in the first season.) Part of me is sad that the franchise is effectively dead but on the other hand I'm glad I don't have to watch it get blown to pieces by wokeness.

I watched How I Met Your Mother last year and enjoyed it, which surprised me as I generally dislike sitcoms and find them unfunny. It has some blue-pill elements and I can't stand Robin, who the writers clearly adore, but it's funny and has a bit of a weird sense of humor. It feels like an unintentional period piece that really captures the feel of the early 2000s, prior to the Woke Years.

Salinger

Kingfisher
I watched How I Met Your Mother last year and enjoyed it, which surprised me as I generally dislike sitcoms and find them unfunny. It has some blue-pill elements and I can't stand Robin, who the writers clearly adore, but it's funny and has a bit of a weird sense of humor. It feels like an unintentional period piece that really captures the feel of the early 2000s, prior to the Woke Years.

Yeah, Robin is definitely one of the main blue pill elements as she represents today's masculinized woman who doesn't want to commit to one man. However, the character didn't turn me off from the show because unlike some female action star who beats up men and shows no weakness, Robin still has elements of her feminine side that show through from time to time, much like Ripley does in Alien. She also acts as a counter-weight to Ted who is a hopeless romantic.

redonion

Woodpecker
I really enjoyed the first couple seasons, I'm just getting overwhelmed with the third one because each episode introduces something new when there's still a lot unexplained. Hopefully it will all get tied up by the end.

Dark was really good, one of the best shows on Netflix in years in my opinion, and I'm not generally a sci-fi guy. Overall it was very well-written and upon a rewatch, I'm noticing things in s1e1 and s1e2 that influence the story later on that I originally missed.

My only complaints are:
1) It's very hard to follow. For S1 and S2 I found a blog which did recaps of each episode and posted pictures of all the characters with their names at the end. Without this I would have been so lost.
2) S3 was good, but also kind of "jumped the shark" in my opinion. The reveal at the end of S2 was unnecessary and just complicated the hell out of everything for not a huge payoff. It was my least favorite season but still good.

I'd give it 8.5/10 overall.

Kurgan

Kingfisher
I finished Season 3 of Castlevania recently and thought it was a good end for that season. I would eventually like to see other Castlevania games done eventually if they go beyond the events of Castlevania III.

Trailer Park Boys Animated Season 2 is done for me, but I don't know how they'll do live again with the actor for Mr. Lahey dead. But sometimes I wonder how Trailer Park Boys manages to keep going. I always thought the end of Season 7 was a good end to the series.

Now I might be able to finish Twin Peaks Season 2, always wanted to finish that show. For those who have seen it, how is the revival series for 25 years after?

Rotten

Robin
Cobra Kai just came over to Netflix. Before now, it was the only watchable OC on YouTube Red.

Its a sequel TV show to the movie “the Karate Kid,” following The grown up Billy Zabka character Johnny as he puts his life together, starts a karate dojo, and feuds with Daniel-san.

Billy Zabka was a great teen movie villain back in the day, but he never got his shot to star in his own movie or show and its great to see him carry the show here.

It’s pretty good, close to red pilled in season one.

Salinger

Kingfisher
Cobra Kai just came over to Netflix. Before now, it was the only watchable OC on YouTube Red.

Its a sequel TV show to the movie “the Karate Kid,” following The grown up Billy Zabka character Johnny as he puts his life together, starts a karate dojo, and feuds with Daniel-san.

Billy Zabka was a great teen movie villain back in the day, but he never got his shot to star in his own movie or show and its great to see him carry the show here.

It’s pretty good, close to red pilled in season one.

Season 1 was great, however, the show gets more libtard in the second season when 2 girls are introduced, one as a major character and one as a minor character who is of course...black. And of course both are as tough as nails. Now that they've pushed the feminist agenda in season 2, I'm guessing we'll get some gay or trans characters in season 3 to completely ruin the show.

Season 1 was great, however, the show gets more libtard in the second season when 2 girls are introduced, one as a major character and one as a minor character who is of course...black. And of course both are as tough as nails. Now that they've pushed the feminist agenda in season 2, I'm guessing we'll get some gay or trans characters in season 3 to completely ruin the show.

That’s the trajectory Money Heist took as well. Great Season 1, then gay stuff in S2, and a completely pointless token tranny character in S3.

Hypno

Crow
How about FRIENDS and the big bang theory? I'm on season 4 of FRIENDS. I like the comedy series for humorous talk when socializing with friends or with people like Seinfeld.

You should check out an older series by the same creators, Dream On!, which is about a recently divorced man. It was sort of the Sex in the City for men. Highly recommended but difficult to find unless you have a firestick.

bucky

Ostrich

That's sad to hear. I watched the first episode on YouTube because it was up for free, but didn't pay for the premium service to watch the rest because I'm short on funds and time. It seemed like it would be a lot of fun and yeah, it was good to see the guy who plays Johnny get a chance to shine again as an adult. I guess I'll continue to pass.

That’s the trajectory Money Heist took as well. Great Season 1, then gay stuff in S2, and a completely pointless token tranny character in S3.
I can't figure out the appeal of Money Heist. I mean, I can, for all the feministas who are enthralled with the "strong women/grrl powerr" in the show. But that's an inch deep and a mile wide; after a few moment's reflection, it's easy to see that every single bad situation was the result of an emotional, irrational decision on the part of one of the females involved, be it the cop or one of the heisters. Heck, that was the basis for the entire second series: the one chick had everything including a (younger) guy who loved her, but that wasn't enough, she had to go and party and drink and get banged out by random guys, which led to the downfall of the whole gang.
I'm just curious as to whether the show's writers meant it to come out that way, or if they really are that unaware.
The first few episodes were entertaining though.

griffinmill

Kingfisher
You should check out an older series by the same creators, Dream On!, which is about a recently divorced man. It was sort of the Sex in the City for men. Highly recommended but difficult to find unless you have a firestick.

This show was indeed good, and yup - surprisingly made by the people who made FRIENDS, and a few years before. It's a show that could never be made now. It's very difficult to find, even on YouTube, despite it being a very successful HBO show back in the day.