The TV Series Thread

Season 1 was great, however, the show gets more libtard in the second season when 2 girls are introduced, one as a major character and one as a minor character who is of course...black. And of course both are as tough as nails. Now that they've pushed the feminist agenda in season 2, I'm guessing we'll get some gay or trans characters in season 3 to completely ruin the show.
I just finished season 2. What new black girl are you referring to? The other girl, Tory, is just a straight out pyschopath (and apparently related to Ali somehow). To me season 2 was more about how Kreese came back and screwed things over for Johnny. And that school brawl at the end was insane.

Last edited:

Hypno

Crow
This show was indeed good, and yup - surprisingly made by the people who made FRIENDS, and a few years before. It's a show that could never be made now. It's very difficult to find, even on YouTube, despite it being a very successful HBO show back in the day.

The first 2 seasons are on DVD. Beyond that, you need a firestick or torrent.

I just rewatched it. There are a suprising number of stars on that show. A young Courtney Cox, Mimi Rogers, Terry Garr, Scot Bakula, Jamie Gertz, George Hamilton, Gennifer Flowers (Bill Clinton fame), Jessica Hahn, Tom Berenger, Mindy Cohn, Martin Mull, Adrienne Barbeau, Salma Hayek, David Hyde Pierce (Frasier), James Woods, Kim Cattrall, Sally Kellerman, David Bowie (musician), Matthew Perry (Friends), Jason Alexander (Seinfeld), Fred Willard, Lou Rawls, Tom Poston, Cheech Marin, Carol Leifer, Elizabeth Shue, Ted McGinley (Jefferson from Married with Children), Kathy Griffin, Fran Drescher, Iman (supermodel), Daisy Fuentes (MTV), Robin Byrd (NYC "celebrity").

I just finished season 2. What new black girl are you referring to? The other girl, Tory, is just a straight out pyschopath (and apparently related to Ali somehow). To me season 2 was more about how Kreese came back and screwed things over for Johnny. And that school brawl at the end was insane.
To elaborate on Salinger's opinion, season 2 became more libtard because it was pushing an overall message of "toxic masculinity" being the real evil behind everyone's troubles on top of various SJWism tropes like the female characters being hyper competent, the two most masculine characters Hawk and Kreese are villianized and humiliated, and a brief normalization of homosexuality via Hawk's girlfriend becoming a lesbian.

I could nitpick more, but I would just be beating a dead horse. This show succeeded in marketing to the anti PC crowd by having a fairly solid first season with some good masculine and politically incorrect sentiments, then it goes full force with the woke garbage now that were emotionally invested in the characters. I'm skipping season 3 since I don't own a Netflix account anyways, T.V is dead to me.

To elaborate on Salinger's opinion, season 2 became more libtard because it was pushing an overall message of "toxic masculinity" being the real evil behind everyone's troubles on top of various SJWism tropes like the female characters being hyper competent, the two most masculine characters Hawk and Kreese are villianized and humiliated, and a brief normalization of homosexuality via Hawk's girlfriend becoming a lesbian.

I could nitpick more, but I would just be beating a dead horse. This show succeeded in marketing to the anti PC crowd by having a fairly solid first season with some good masculine and politically incorrect sentiments, then it goes full force with the woke garbage now that were emotionally invested in the characters. I'm skipping season 3 since I don't own a Netflix account anyways, T.V is dead to me.
I'll give give you the lesbian nonsense. That really had no place in the show. But Hawk is an asshole. He's not masculine at all. He became what he hated in the first place, a bully. I grew up with a few Hawk's as a kid. Most of them ended up being losers in life. There is nothing admirable about them at all. That is what Kreese doesn't get. What he is teaching is just garbage. Kreese himself was a loser in life; no friends, no family, homeless. All Kreese knows is war and he cannot function in peacetime. Maybe he did get all screwed up fighting in Vietnam. They could have explored that aspect a bit more.

Started rewatching 30 Rock on a whim. Almost all the way through the first season and it's the funniest show I've seen in a while. It's well-written and smart, with no cursing or "shock humor."

I'll give give you the lesbian nonsense. That really had no place in the show. But Hawk is an asshole. He's not masculine at all. He became what he hated in the first place, a bully. I grew up with a few Hawk's as a kid. Most of them ended up being losers in life. There is nothing admirable about them at all. That is what Kreese doesn't get. What he is teaching is just garbage. Kreese himself was a loser in life; no friends, no family, homeless. All Kreese knows is war and he cannot function in peacetime. Maybe he did get all screwed up fighting in Vietnam. They could have explored that aspect a bit more.
Thats the problem, they wrote Hawk in a one dimensional way, because when betas write alpha characters, they always make them into violent sociopaths like Biff Tannen. They did the same thing to Kreese because they had to make the most masculine red pill character of the show into a symbol of hate and toxicity while giving him a humiliating backstory on top of it, I could feel the contempt for his character by the beta writers who were prob bullied by alphas when they were teens.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
The Venture Bros. has been canceled after 17 years. A real shame, this was a smart, funny, well-written, and well-animated show that stood out amongst the garbage of Adult Swim.

It's not hard to see why this happened though: the show was too white. Everything about it, from the cast, to the themes of super science burnout, failure, and parodies of pulpy fiction, is white male nerd culture. Absolutely nothing about this show is in keeping with the trends of the Current Year.

If you've never seen it it's well worth watching from the beginning. Even the early 2000s seasons hold up quite well today. Definitely a cult classic.

Thats the problem, they wrote Hawk in a one dimensional way, because when betas write alpha characters, they always make them into violent sociopaths like Biff Tannen. They did the same thing to Kreese because they had to make the most masculine red pill character of the show into a symbol of hate and toxicity while giving him a humiliating backstory on top of it, I could feel the contempt for his character by the beta writers who were prob bullied by alphas when they were teens.
To me Miguel and Hawk were setup as contrasts, to show how different two kids can turn out under the same teachings. Both kids were seen as losers, weak, and nerds at school. Miguel started to become like Hawk but Miguel had a moment of self reflection and looked at himself in the mirror and realized he, too, was becoming a bully. And he didn't want that. That is being red-pill. But this also could be a be failure on Johnny's part as well. Both Miguel and Hawk were fatherless. Johnny spent a lot of time with Miguel. They hung out away from class. Johnny became a father figure to Miguel. Johnny didn't do this with Hawk. Hawk only absorbed the fighting aspect and nothing more. After Hawk was disqualified in the All Valley Tournament Johnny should have sat down with Hawk and had a long talk with Hawk. But Johnny apparently didn't do that.

As for Kreese his character was always like that even going back to the original Karate Kid film. It's not like they changed his character or his background. We find out in Karate Kid 3 that he lost everything after Cobra Kai was banned. You are not wrong that Kreese is a bit one dimensional. But again, what is so red pill about Kreese? Ok, so he knows how to fight. But that's all he knows. He has no concept as to how to live in the real world. He doesn't understand how to deal with people other than try to manipulate them or punch them in the face. The show could have made Kreese a bit more sympathetic if they delved more into his PTSD.

I've known a few Vietnam vets and they've told me some real horror stories. Back in the mid 1990's I did an internship at a medical device company. The engineer I worked under was a Vietnam vet who flew the Bell Cobra. This man had all kinds of actual combat experience. He had a brilliant engineering mind, one of the smartest engineers I have ever worked with. He shared with me how after he came home from the war he had severe anger issues. He'd get into bar fights at even the slightest perceived insult. It ruined his marriage. It took him years to get his anger under control. He eventually did get control and was able to live a normal life. The show briefly went into Kreese's PTSD but didn't do much with it. If they did IMO it would have made Kreese a much more interesting character.

To me Miguel and Hawk were setup as contrasts, to show how different two kids can turn out under the same teachings. Both kids were seen as losers, weak, and nerds at school. Miguel started to become like Hawk but Miguel had a moment of self reflection and looked at himself in the mirror and realized he, too, was becoming a bully. And he didn't want that. That is being red-pill. But this also could be a be failure on Johnny's part as well. Both Miguel and Hawk were fatherless. Johnny spent a lot of time with Miguel. They hung out away from class. Johnny became a father figure to Miguel. Johnny didn't do this with Hawk. Hawk only absorbed the fighting aspect and nothing more. After Hawk was disqualified in the All Valley Tournament Johnny should have sat down with Hawk and had a long talk with Hawk. But Johnny apparently didn't do that.

As for Kreese his character was always like that even going back to the original Karate Kid film. It's not like they changed his character or his background. We find out in Karate Kid 3 that he lost everything after Cobra Kai was banned. You are not wrong that Kreese is a bit one dimensional. But again, what is so red pill about Kreese? Ok, so he knows how to fight. But that's all he knows. He has no concept as to how to live in the real world. He doesn't understand how to deal with people other than try to manipulate them or punch them in the face. The show could have made Kreese a bit more sympathetic if they delved more into his PTSD.

I've known a few Vietnam vets and they've told me some real horror stories. Back in the mid 1990's I did an internship at a medical device company. The engineer I worked under was a Vietnam vet who flew the Bell Cobra. This man had all kinds of actual combat experience. He had a brilliant engineering mind, one of the smartest engineers I have ever worked with. He shared with me how after he came home from the war he had severe anger issues. He'd get into bar fights at even the slightest perceived insult. It ruined his marriage. It took him years to get his anger under control. He eventually did get control and was able to live a normal life. The show briefly went into Kreese's PTSD but didn't do much with it. If they did IMO it would have made Kreese a much more interesting character.
I think in today's climate, we need more bullies and Cobra Kai dojos.

Captainstabbin

Hummingbird
Second season of The Boys is terrible. The new character is a literal Nazi/racist/homophobe/etc - basically, a caricature based on the media lies about Trump. And all Trump supporters and conservatives are just simple-minded sheep. Last season was fun but it's gone downhill quickly.

Second season of The Boys is terrible. The new character is a literal Nazi/racist/homophobe/etc - basically, a caricature based on the media lies about Trump. And all Trump supporters and conservatives are just simple-minded sheep. Last season was fun but it's gone downhill quickly.

In the comic, that new character was male, not female, and was basically a Germanic Ahhnold type meathead, who was as tough if not tougher, as Homelander. I like how they changed the character to female, which gives the character the potential to be much more manipulative, and to seduce Homelander for her own ends. What floored me was how Billy Butcher worked so hard to find his hidden away wife, who had been raped by Homelander, and she decides to stay where she is, with the kid produced from the rape, rather than taking the kid and escaping with her husband! The second season has so far worked for me.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member

Exactly. Preying on the weak, turning into an asshole humiliating and beating up your former best friend over a Yelp review the instant you get the ability to do so isn't masculine or red pill. A grown man dispatching impressionable teenagers to vandalize a rival business and steal a Medal of Honor over a karate grudge from 35 years earlier isn't masculine or red pill either. In season 1 the show made the point that society was over pussified and needed a course correction, season 2 warned against overcorrecting and becoming assholes/bullied preying on the weak.

Exactly. Preying on the weak, turning into an asshole humiliating and beating up your former best friend over a Yelp review the instant you get the ability to do so isn't masculine or red pill. A grown man dispatching impressionable teenagers to vandalize a rival business and steal a Medal of Honor over a karate grudge from 35 years earlier isn't masculine or red pill either. In season 1 the show made the point that society was over pussified and needed a course correction, season 2 warned against overcorrecting and becoming assholes/bullied preying on the weak.
Thats the problem I have with the show, its either you're a violent sociopath or a beta cuck. I really don't think the conclusion is going to be anything redpill.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Thats the problem I have with the show, its either you're a violent sociopath or a beta cuck. I really don't think the conclusion is going to be anything redpill.

The 2 main adult characters (Johnny and Daniel) both balance the two pretty well albeit in very different ways from one another, and the 2 main kid characters (Miguel and Robby) show signs of doing the same. Agree the conclusion of the show likely won't be anything worthwhile but that doesn't mean there can't be some valuable lessons along the way.

Bigblabla

Pigeon
I watched the 4 and a half seasons of Billions that are available now. Lots of twists and turns. Every episode has quite a spiral. All the characters have quite a bit of power, and since the characters either have their hands in the stock market or the legal system someone is always making everything more complicated somehow.
I like that it doesn't show money power sex and drugs to be fulfilling. I like that after the lead character Axlerod, the billionaire hedge fund guy, does ayahuasca he becomes even more of a jerk. I liked the many cameos also.
I didn't like that all the characters were chock full of historical and pop culture references and any character would just throw out all these expert terms and concepts. It made the show more interesting for sure, but it was an eye roll for me. Oh sure, that trader knows all about that 17th century battle. Oh yes, that guy knows that obscure thing about the Chinese game Go, and that woman speaks italian. Suuuuuure.
It reminded me of recent news that Obama's people idolized the show The West Wing, and of the cringey lame texts that the FBI traitors like Strzok had leaked. These people wish they were as interesting as the people who play them on TV.

I saw the series finale of "The Boys," and it was terrific! Anyone else see it? Damn, Stormfront got what was coming to her! Lol I really enjoyed the plot and how things worked out, however bittersweet. Poor Billy Butcher... The show is an absolute must watch...

The Rock

Pigeon
The Boys was excellent. But it is excellent in its subversion (but still enjoyed it a lot). There are no good guys or bad guys. And no good men. They are all boys. Either too strong lunatics or absolute beta cucks like Hughie. Homelander was brilliantly acted. Antony Starr should get an award for that .