The TV Series Thread

Hypno

Crow
Hat tip to whomever recommended Californication - good series about a 40-something guy basically post divorce who is coparenting a teenager and still carries a flame for his ex. Its a blatant rip off of the late 80s early 90s show Dream On! but better executed with a cooler lead character and set in LA rather than NYC.

Salinger

Kingfisher
Hat tip to whomever recommended Californication - good series about a 40-something guy basically post divorce who is coparenting a teenager and still carries a flame for his ex. Its a blatant rip off of the late 80s early 90s show Dream On! but better executed with a cooler lead character and set in LA rather than NYC.

Definitely a great series and an excellent learning tool for flirting with women. Dialogue is amazingly well-written.

Strict Christians will be turned off by the show as it's really promoting fornication in every episode. However, if you can look past that, you'll probably enjoy it.

Salinger

Kingfisher
I've been watching Below Deck reruns lately. I'm not usually into reality shows too much but I can't help but like this one. It's interesting to watch these people deal with long hours and hard work as they slave away for others on super yachts.

I think if I was ever to work on a boat, I'd want it to be a cruise ship and not a yacht. What a place to meet your future wife as you sail the seven seas.

Anyhow, the show is full on Globohomo as there are seemingly gay workers or charter guests in every season. Other than that, I find it very addicting to watch the drama between everyone on these boats.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Mandalorian has cool visuals but most of the dialogue is exposition and not particularly well-written. The Queen’s Gambit, which I finished yesterday, has ten times better writing, and was an interesting story too.

Vienna

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Really enjoying Barbarians so far.

Thoughts:
- Ancient history, particularly Roman history, never gets dull. To see a big show centering on Germanic tribes and one of Rome’s greatest defeats is even better.
- Language! I’ve never seen a show feature Latin so prominently before. Superb immersion. Would be even cooler if the German language sounded a bit more archaic as well (to my ears it sounds pretty much like modern German, but I’m just conversational in German).
- Actors and locations. Well-casted. Beautiful landscapes and forests.

I can see this show getting even better if it gets more seasons and larger budgets, now I just hope it meets Netflix viewership criteria.

IM3000

Pelican
Really enjoying Barbarians so far.

Thoughts:
- Ancient history, particularly Roman history, never gets dull. To see a big show centering on Germanic tribes and one of Rome’s greatest defeats is even better.
- Language! I’ve never seen a show feature Latin so prominently before. Superb immersion. Would be even cooler if the German language sounded a bit more archaic as well (to my ears it sounds pretty much like modern German, but I’m just conversational in German).
- Actors and locations. Well-casted. Beautiful landscapes and forests.

I can see this show getting even better if it gets more seasons and larger budgets, now I just hope it meets Netflix viewership criteria.

How is the strong female warrior thing? After watching the trailer, it seems like they are pushing it hard.

Vienna

Kingfisher
Gold Member
^ It’s on Netflix so of course they’re going to take some liberties with history and the depiction of Thusnelda (the strong warrior woman). Still, so far (5 episodes in) her character relies more on guile and manipulation than fighting to get ahead, which certainly is believable.

Salinger

Kingfisher
I was watching Below Deck the other day, a show about young people working on super yachts. It's entertaining, but also super Globohomo.

In one episode, the guys and girls are on shore leave headed to a bar. The subject of gays comes up and this Russian girl who is the cook on the yacht says, "I'm glad that Putin doesn't let those people have parades in our country." Then some Leftist twat answers back how she is a horrible person and an embarrassment to humanity. The others chime in and agree how she is wrong to say such a thing...and is made to apologize.

Ugh...I was so happy to hear the Russian girl speak up about this crap and then the other Libtards had to ruin it for me. However, I am now more interested in moving to Russia than ever before.

I have never watched Pawn Stars before until this week. I started binge watching on YouTube. This segment was interesting. The woman said a man she met at a gun range gave her this rather old historical gun because he liked her. Uhhh...huh. Right. I suspect she had to do a bit more than just bat her large fake eyelashes to acquire this gun. Haha.

Last edited:

Justin C

Pigeon

Simply the best Roman series ever. Fantastic actors. Low budget so the focus is all on the performances. I was so happy to see the degenerate emperor caligula get assassinated.

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
Loved that show as a kid. Haven’t seen it in a long time though so not sure if I’d still dig it.
You would find that it holds up incredibly well but you'll no longer relate to Fred Savage but rather his alpha dad. I've always appreciated when something can not only capture the image but the spirit of the time period it's set in. The Wonder Years is totally authentic to 1968-1973.

My only gripe with rewatching the show is Fred Savage is constantly getting cucked and duped by the blue pill forces surrounding him in the first half of the show. However, the payoff is nice when his character starts to take the red pill towards the end of the show. The music is top tier.

Other personal favorites of mine would include the Andy Griffith Show. House M.D. The Sopranos.

There's other outliers here and there that are good too.

Salinger

Kingfisher
You would find that it holds up incredibly well but you'll no longer relate to Fred Savage but rather his alpha dad. I've always appreciated when something can not only capture the image but the spirit of the time period it's set in. The Wonder Years is totally authentic to 1968-1973.

My only gripe with rewatching the show is Fred Savage is constantly getting cucked and duped by the blue pill forces surrounding him in the first half of the show. However, the payoff is nice when his character starts to take the red pill towards the end of the show. The music is top tier.

I loved The Wonder Years as a kid. The show really tugged at the heart strings and often showed situations in a real light where other shows never ventured. Learning life lessons was a popular theme.

For instance...Kevin getting a job and having to make a choice between working at a hardware store for an old man and learning valuable skills vs working at the food mart and meeting girls.

Another set of episodes I really liked was when Kevin went to the lake one summer with his family and met a girl who he developed a puppy love crush on. It resulted in one of the best summers of his life. The next year, things are going terrible for him. He has a job that he hates delivering Chinese food and most of his friends have left town on vacation. He desperately wants to go back to last summer, back at the lake where he was in love. So he drives up there to see the girl again. Only this time she has a boyfriend and has forgotten all about him. Watching this episode, I couldn't help but remember having something like that happen to me when I was his age.