The TV Series Thread

ObserverX

Chicken
Does anyone watch the anime Attack on Titan? I think it is very good - and I am not an anime geek by any means.

In the later seasons, there is a group of people that remind me of the plight of Western peoples: they are humiliated and taught to hate themselves and hate their history. Constantly reminded of the "sins" of their ancestors. But they are kept around because of their usefulness. They must serve and sacrifice themselves. And most of them do it willingly with honor.

I can't explain any further because the show has major reveal after major reveal. I highly recommend the show.

RalphMalph

Woodpecker
Ok here is my reactions on the latest Science Fiction/Space Opera seasons:

Star Drek: Discovery - Why can't the writers write a decent story line? I am tired of the rehashing of alternate universes themes in just about every Star Drek series. When they put an alt universe episode on Star Drek: Enterprise, I though well the writers ran out of story lines once again. And wouldn't you know it same has now happened on Star Drek: Discovery. An alt universe spanning two season? Come on already!!!!

Mandalorian Season 2 - Damm!! what next after the big Kahuna appears in the last episode of the season? In a third season do we discover a toddler C3PO working as a Roomba for drinks and tips?

The Expanse Season 5 - The only truly entertaining Science Fiction/Space Opera extant as far is I am concerned. It's a cross between Mel Brook's "Jews in Space" and Game of Thrones with a little "Days of Our Lives" thrown in for the ladies.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I assume Mandalorian is over. They hinted / said at the end that they're doing a Boba Fett series next. I'm not a fan of how much the new Boba Fett talks compared to the relatively stoic and quiet Boba Fett from the original movies, but he's still a cool character and I'm sure I'll end up watching it.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Now in Season 2 of Westworld. I can’t decide what to make of the show and whether the message is ultimately Christian, anti-Christian, or a blend of the two.

(Spoilers below)

It’s interesting that Season 1 is all based on human sin and the lust for power and control, but then in Season 2 the robots do exactly the same thing. It’s arguably worse for the robots because at least the humans know they aren’t harming real people, whereas the robots know the harm they cause is real and permanent. Not sure what exactly is being communicated here, apart from maybe the fact that everything fallen man touches becomes just as fallen as he is.

GodfatherPartTwo

Kingfisher
Now in Season 2 of Westworld. I can’t decide what to make of the show and whether the message is ultimately Christian, anti-Christian, or a blend of the two.

(Spoilers below)

It’s interesting that Season 1 is all based on human sin and the lust for power and control, but then in Season 2 the robots do exactly the same thing. It’s arguably worse for the robots because at least the humans know they aren’t harming real people, whereas the robots know the harm they cause is real and permanent. Not sure what exactly is being communicated here, apart from maybe the fact that everything fallen man touches becomes just as fallen as he is.
That's better than those who would have us think that in the future when technology is more powerful then we will have entered in a sort of utopia.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
I took the first season of Westworld to be an explanation, conscious or not, of how Hollywood sees its audience, which is being represented by the park's guests, and the robots represent the actors, which Hollywood also has contempt for.

Basic idea is that audiences just like sex and violence, but they also need a rationalization to lie to themselves about why they are really there, hence the different scripts, the romance, the bogus philosophizing, the lie that they are solving a riddle or just playing a game, when in fact they are desensitizing themselves to behavior they couldn't get away with in real life.

And those very techniques are being used on the viewer as well. You aren't leering at a bunch of naked actresses, no those are just robots being repaired.

The second season takes this contempt for humanity and moves outward from Hollywood, and shows how the elites see us, how all the distraction of the park is just a ruse to get us to give up information about ourselves, and on character even says that manipulating huge populations is really just an art form, a creation.

It is just a squabble between Dolores and that French dude for who gets to manipulate the masses for their purpose, still with a lot of violence and phony philosophy thrown in to fool us into thinking we are following a story or solving a puzzle. Dolores' little speeches, by the end of the second season all seemed like such a ploy, like okay, enough running around killing, let's add some fake meaning so the audience thinks it is learning something.

The big message is an insult to the audience, look at how we manipulate people, and then they manipulate us as viewers in the way they just showed us.

The set design and music is grimly beautiful, a kind of a trance induction to mesmerize us into believing this is an artistic experience. Dolores' blank beautiful stare is hypnosis too, we can project personal meanings onto it too.

The underlying message is one of dehumanization, there is no God, only man, and most of us are helpless pawns of the rich and the intelligent.

There is a bit in the opening credits that sums it up, in the black water, two white humanoids seem to be swimming towards one another, but when they touch, we realize it is only man reaching towards his own reflection, and once he sees that he gives up and drowns, revealing himself just to be another robot.

And that is how Hollywood and the ruling class sees us, as mechanisms that can be controlled by contrived realities.

This is a very educational series if seen in that light. They are showing us that the reason we are such suckers is that they have figured out that the best way to deceive people is to use the lies they already use to deceive themselves.

Last edited:

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Interesting thoughts. I’ll finish Season 2 and see if it plays out similarly from my perspective. I’m still waiting for some kind of positive message, and it seemed like William was almost there when the Delos experiments failed and he realized transhumanism isn’t natural and is bound to fail, but they never really explored the thread any further than that one insight.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
I liked Devs better than Westworld. A good critique of Silicon Valley culture, a very philosophical series, moving slow with a lot of theorizing punctuated by acts of sudden violence. It is interesting to see how big questions are approached when you dismiss Christianity out of hand, these nerds make a fascinating mess of things, mostly to avoid dealing with their own traumas and fears. They try and address Christianty at one point and the view is oversimplified to the point of inanity. Edjamacated idiots. Written and directed by Alex Garland. At times some red pilled observations pop up out of nowhere, like a simp getting called out. A lot of talk in this one, which some of us like in a show.

I assume Mandalorian is over. They hinted / said at the end that they're doing a Boba Fett series next. I'm not a fan of how much the new Boba Fett talks compared to the relatively stoic and quiet Boba Fett from the original movies, but he's still a cool character and I'm sure I'll end up watching it.

I recommend you play "Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast". Luke Skywalker is portrayed with much more respect in this Game compared to the ending of the Mandalorian.

GodfatherPartTwo

Kingfisher
Started watching Cobra Kai after putting it off and even scoffing at the idea when I first heard about it. Good show. Even great at times. Ultimate fan service to Karate Kid fans. The girls are cute and the music is good. I heard Hillary Swank will be back for season 4 so I definitely want to be caught up by then.

BasedStefan

Pigeon
Orthodox
Started watching Twin Peaks and the The Twilight Zone. I haven't been very invested in anything new. Since we've had the coof the "newest" thing I've washed was Star Trek The Next Generation.
Watching old stuff is nice you don't have constant lights and expositions to take away from the TV show or Movie.

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
#CancelDisneyPlus is trending on Twitter because Disney/Lucasfilm has just fired - or "cancelled" - Gina Carano.

Et6zVVlXcAImaUc

Et6mNibXMAEtk40

Edit.

'The Mandalorian' Star Gina Carano Fired Amid Social Media Controversy​

UTA has also dropped the actor, who will no longer be part of the 'Star Wars' galaxy.

Gina Carano will not be returning to The Mandalorian or the Star Wars galaxy after sharing a post on social media inferring that being a Republican today is like being Jewish during the Holocaust.

"Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future," a Lucasfilm spokesperson said in a statement. "Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable."

Carano has also been dropped as a client by UTA, an agency spokesperson confirms.

On Wednesday, the hashtag #FireGinaCarano was trending following an Instagram post from the outspoken conservative actor and former mixed martial artist which was met with severe backlash. The post has since been deleted, but screenshots were widely shared by users on social media who called for her firing from the hit Disney+ Star Wars show.

This is not the first time Carano, who played former Rebel Alliance soldier Cara Dune on The Mandalorian, has been the focus of social media ire for her political comments. Last November, she issued contentious tweets, one in which she mocked mask-wearing amid the novel coronavirus pandemic and another in which she falsely suggested voter fraud occurred during the 2020 presidential election.

“They have been looking for a reason to fire her for two months, and today was the final straw,” a source with knowledge of Lucasfilm’s thinking tells THR.

The Mandalorian debuted on Disney+ in November 2019 and helped power the streaming service to impressive subscription numbers. Carano's Cara Dune became an instant fan favorite, with the actor praised for bringing a calm strength to the role. But her tweets have also made her a controversial figure among Star Wars fandom.

According to sources, Lucasfilm planned to unveil Carano as the star of her own Disney+ series during a December investor's day presentation but scrapped those plans following her November tweets. Multiple Mandalorian spinoffs are in the works from executive producers Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, including Rangers of the New Republic, which could have potentially starred Carano.

But after the latest round of social media posts, the decision to cut ties with the actor came swiftly.

Carano came up in the world of MMA, and has appeared in high-profile projects, such as Deadpool and Fast & Furious 6. Steven Soderbergh cast her in 2011's Haywire, a film that launched her acting career following a straight-to-DVD project.

Her rep could not be immediately reached for comment.

Feb. 10, 8:15 p.m. Updated to note UTA had dropped the actor.

Edit II. Ah, go figure.

Last edited:

DTJG

Chicken
If not already suggested, I highly recommend 'Bonanza'. Its a western set in Nevada during the Civil War era.

Virtually every episode has some kind of morality tale, and often overtly Christian messaging. The series revolves around Ben Cartwright and his three adult sons who own a very large and wealthy ranch. They are pillars of their local community.

Ben plays the ideal father figure. He's wise, moral and just, in a land that is not quite civilised. He is tough but fair in his business dealings, and never backs down from a fight when there is no alternative.

Each episode tends to focus on one of the sons dealing with some incident that directly or indirectly involves the ranch or someone from their local town. The boys have different personalities and ages, but they are as just as their father - albeit often hot headed, immature or naive. Sometimes they require a dressing down from Ben, sometimes a deft touch. Other times, Ben lets them do it on their own. He has an excellent awareness of when its right to assist or let them find the answer themselves.

Ben is an excellent role model for fathers, community leaders, or businessmen. The sons are great role models for younger men trying to find their place in the world.

The women are almost always beautiful, and despite the wild west setting, they largely dress and act very ladylike. Even when dealing with troublesome women or tomboys, the Cartwrights find a way to set them on the right path.

There are fist fights and gun fights in each episode. All the sons are very handy on both fronts.

The series ran throughout the 1960's, but based on what I have watched thus far, largely avoided the cultural revisionism. There are a few small instances of early decay, but nothing that detracts from the overarching themes of the show.

fortyfive

Woodpecker
I tried to watch currently highly rated TV shows like ,,The Boys,, but after a couple of episodes, I am not able to feed myself anymore with such a woke propaganda, cynism, and pretending that you must be a psychopath to become cool.

Now I am enjoying watching ,,Survivors,, SHTF British series from 1975. After the unwatchable leftist telenovel Walking dead, this is still from a time when people were mostly normal and they try in every episode to resolve basic survival tasks as food, fuel, where to sleep, etc.

Knight.of.Logos

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I hardly watch any TV but I gave The Mandalorian a try and really enjoyed the first season. Going to check out the second season in a few weeks. I hated the new movies so much, I did not want to even give the series a shot, but I heard it being praised from lots of people, even those who hated the new movies. I'm glad I did.