The TV Series Thread

Early Bird

Woodpecker
Catholic
I
Until the way over-the-top wokeness of later seasons, I thought Money Heist was amongst the best-written shows on TV. Sadly the last two seasons are very on the nose about being pro-tranny, pro-gay, and other stupid parts I think they included as a response to earlier critics saying the show was “too patriarchal and misogynistic.”
I thought the first season was very well written and entertaining. Agree on your last point...seems everyone must toe the woke line these days unfortunately.

Early Bird

Woodpecker
Catholic
currently watching "True Detective" b/c of Jay Dyer's Matthew Mcconaughey impressions... "The Psychosphere" its actually really good! Season 1 was on point, and i didnt think id like season 2 because of the new cast and story (the series is an anthology where every season is a whole new story) but season 2 is not disappointing so far. Im about half way thru it now.

I want to start watching The Wire, ive heard good things about it but never seen it as of yet.
How did you like the other seasons of True Detective?

I would suggest Fargo if you haven't already seen it. Similar to True Detective in many ways.
All the seasons are excellent.

Jesu Juva

Banned
There is a 4 part Fantomas mini TV series with Helmut Berger, two episodes directed by Claude Chabrol and two by the son of Luis Bunuel. I watched it a dozen times. It is closer to the books than the movies with Louis de Funès.

Luke22

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
Been recommended "Inside job" by several of my friends, because "I like conspiracies". From the screenshots looks like all the other animated shows that spawned in the wake of Rick and Morty, plus if it came nowadays, it's most likely subversive. Anybody seen it?

Maddox

Woodpecker
Protestant
I've just started watching Game of Thrones as I never bothered to watch it the first time around. Used to love the fantasy genre as a kid and was heavily into D & D. However, my love for the genre has mysteriously disappeared throughout the years and I no longer feel the need to watch movies of this genre.

At any rate, I kept hearing how good this series is so I finally sat down to watch it and give it a chance. I'm on episode 4 of season 1 now and I have to say...I'm having trouble getting into it. There are a lot of characters and backstory to keep track of and it's a bit confusing when trying to figure out who is who.

The series seems to have the pacing of a novel (and maybe that's why I'm not a huge reader too). It kind of plods along until something happens to keep you a bit on edge for the next episode. But I'm not glued to my seat like I thought I might be, and I can't figure out why so many people are so into it....unless it somehow gets better.

SlickyBoy

Hummingbird
I've just started watching Game of Thrones as I never bothered to watch it the first time around. Used to love the fantasy genre as a kid and was heavily into D & D. However, my love for the genre has mysteriously disappeared throughout the years and I no longer feel the need to watch movies of this genre.

At any rate, I kept hearing how good this series is so I finally sat down to watch it and give it a chance. I'm on episode 4 of season 1 now and I have to say...I'm having trouble getting into it. There are a lot of characters and backstory to keep track of and it's a bit confusing when trying to figure out who is who.

The series seems to have the pacing of a novel (and maybe that's why I'm not a huge reader too). It kind of plods along until something happens to keep you a bit on edge for the next episode. But I'm not glued to my seat like I thought I might be, and I can't figure out why so many people are so into it....unless it somehow gets better.
Same, I was a bit disappointed. As they often say, the book is better. I never read all of the books, but I did read half of one, then watched the relevant episodes covered in that book. To say they abbreviated what happened in the books is an understatement - it was a hack job.
That, and in typical HBO fashion several sex and nudity scenes were added to the show by the (((producers))) which were never in the book. Even by Hollywood standards, it's common knowledge among those in the industry if you work for HBO, at some point you're going to have to show your junk.

I didn't stop reading the books because they were not good, but probably just because fantasy novels never interested me all that much.

Transsimian

Ostrich
Gold Member
I've been watching this TV show on Prime called Modern Love. Some of the stories are pretty good, but they are more and more pushing the gay and interracial agenda that tends to ruin things.
Prime's like that, I'm watching Invincible at the moment; a great story filled with multidimensional characters, but even someone with my exogamous tastes is put out by each and every couple in the show being cross-racial. Anyway, despite this quirk, it's miles ahead of other recent superhero media

renotime

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
My dad has apple TV at his house so for some reason I put on The Morning Show starring bad actor Jennifer Aniston. Man. It was cringe inducing. I was embarrassed for them. I think I have PTSD. At some point I was so uncomfortable I started doing push ups to turn off my brain.

One early scene Reese Witherspoon goes to a coal mine in West Virginia as a local reporter to cover a protest of the mine. There were 100 people there, maybe more. What? And then some bay conservative guy shoved a protester and knocked over a camera. This 6 foot guy (probably not even that tall) gets met with the wrath of little 5'2" Reese Witherspoon.

She says "I'll let go out of if you can tell me 5 facts about coal." He says "It provides more jobs." Does Reese refute this with facts? No. She just says "wrong, while holding onto the helpless whimpering white man twice her size. Then she goes on some ridiculous holier than thou rant while swearing up a storm of course. See below.

Have ya'll ever had a chick grab you like this? It happened to me once in a bar and I was so surprised by it I looked down at the girl's hands to make sure they were actually there.

Anyways her super persuasive rant goes viral (even though that doesn't exist anymore) and she gets invited to an interview with Jennifer Aniston on the morning show, who asks her some really tough questions because women hate each other I guess. Reese wears her super badass leather biker jacket to NYC because why not.

There was one scene where a male suit is talking to a male producer. He tells him twitter and the internet are taking over and it's only a matter of time before the old media cease to exist. News has become entertainment, he says. Yes, dude. And the sky is blue and water is wet.

Painfully bad show. Will not ever watch again.

Enoch

Hummingbird

Even though its only 10 years old you know the casting would be different if this show was made in 2021. At least one of the stark kids would have been a racial mystery.

Oompoppamowmow

Sparrow
Catholic
The last couple of seasons GOT weren’t based off the books since George RR Martin never finished writing them. So HBO and TPTB went ahead with woke themes and a poor story. The showrunners, (Weiss and Beinhoff) basically mailed it in because they got booked to do a Stars Wars trilogy. GOT turned into such a hot mess that they lost the Stars Wars gig. No spoilers, but it was terrible towards the end.

renotime

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
The last couple of seasons GOT weren’t based off the books since George RR Martin never finished writing them. So HBO and TPTB went ahead with woke themes and a poor story. The showrunners, (Weiss and Beinhoff) basically mailed it in because they got booked to do a Stars Wars trilogy. GOT turned into such a hot mess that they lost the Stars Wars gig. No spoilers, but it was terrible towards the end.
Disney loves woke nonsense. Benioff and Weiss backed out of Star Wars deal because Netflix gave them 200 million.

Wolfgang01

Chicken
Atheist
Gotta love irony...