The Twitter censorship thread

Athanasius

Pelican
I think Twitter is boiling the frog. They want to avoid a large-scale ban now that would cause their user base to coalesce elsewhere and possibly bring down political wrath on them, so they are just banning stuff they find particularly dangerous to the narrative, like Jack Posobiec's new Antifa documentary, throttling, unfollowing people, phonying search results, monkeying with the trends list, and arbitrarily limiting people and creating uncertainty. They are doing everything they can to tighten the pincers without hitting the tipping point.

This is why I think the best course of action would be for a revolver.news or other influential site to start a campaign to abandon them instead of trying to reform them or work within their arbitrary limitations. They need to plan this though to ensure the new sites like Bitchute, Gab, etc. can handle the incoming load.

fokm

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I just want to second that Gab has been amazing lately. Worth signing up for the newsletters alone--it's like the content on the site is a bonus. Twitter is going to censor President Trump if he "claims an early victory" and I learned about that from the newsletter.

Gab's longer form also means better discussion overall. It's great. You can follow me there on the same handle as I use here if you're so inclined.

Why would they stop when Republicans have made clear - at every possible opportunity - that there will be no consequences, ever, regardless of how egregious their behavior is? Can you imagine how powerful Jack Dorsey must feel knowing with 100% certainty that nothing is going to happen, ever, beyond a bunch of kabuki theater that results in absolutely nothing?

They're working hand in hand.

paninaro

Pelican
I just want to second that Gab has been amazing lately. Worth signing up for the newsletters alone--it's like the content on the site is a bonus. Twitter is going to censor President Trump if he "claims an early victory" and I learned about that from the newsletter.

Gab's longer form also means better discussion overall. It's great. You can follow me there on the same handle as I use here if you're so inclined.

That's the right way to tackle it -- let the free market solve this instead of regulations. If Twitter wants to censor content, it makes their site less useful. Switch to services that offer a better product, like Gab.

Besides, technology moves quickly. Even if Congress were to try to pass legislation, it would takes months if not years. Meanwhile some better technology would have come along, and their now-old legislation wouldn't cover that.

fokm

Woodpecker
Gold Member
That's the right way to tackle it -- let the free market solve this instead of regulations. If Twitter wants to censor content, it makes their site less useful. Switch to services that offer a better product, like Gab.

Besides, technology moves quickly. Even if Congress were to try to pass legislation, it would takes months if not years. Meanwhile some better technology would have come along, and their now-old legislation wouldn't cover that.

Overall I would like to agree -- even Andrew Torba himself agrees. But I do think that's a mistake.

I actually don't think any law has to be written. The current laws just need to be enforced. Section 230 says that platforms are not publishers, so you cannot sue Facebook, Twitter, or Gab.

Thing is, Facebook and Twitter are acting like publishers.

Prove in court that their behavior is that of a publisher, and has been since 2016, and they should lose their special status, and are open to lawsuits from anyone they've banned/censored through those years.

Gab, since it's never engaged in censorship, benefits from the current regulations.

Bird

Kingfisher
Twitter Inc.
Friday, 8 January 2021

After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence.

In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action. Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open.

However, we made it clear going back years that these accounts are not above our rules entirely and cannot use Twitter to incite violence, among other things. We will continue to be transparent around our policies and their enforcement.

The below is a comprehensive analysis of our policy enforcement approach in this case.

Full article: https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2020/suspension.html

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
57392426c2f5d5c0.jpeg

Rather than posting links to Twitter in the future, consider using Nitter instead, a privacy respecting interface for Twitter:

Multiple instances:

This plugin will automatically redirect Twitter, YouTube and other traffic to such mirrors,

SlickyBoy

Hummingbird
I just saw an ad for the ADL on A&E, probably provided by the network free of charge. Their (((president))) was trumpeting about how they were able to get "hate speech" laws passed in GA and are working on others.

They aren't even trying to hide their contempt for the first amendment they supposedly stood up for two decades ago.

Bird

Kingfisher
Twitter deletes more than 70,000 accounts
Jan 12, 2021

The short messaging service on Friday shut down massive numbers of accounts, most of which would have spread QAnon conspiracy theories. Twitter pointed to the recent violence in the American capital as justification.

Twitter has deleted more than 70,000 accounts of the QAnon movement, which specializes in conspiracy theories and supports outgoing U.S. President Donald Trump. As a consequence of the riots in Washington by Trump supporters, these accounts have been permanently removed, the online service announced on Monday. In many cases, several of the accounts with QAnon content had been traced back to a single creator.

by German MSN

Brewer

Pigeon
CDAN claiming Twitter is going to restore Trump's account

ilostabet

Pelican