The Vladimir Putin thread

Gopnik

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Mage said:
PharaohRa said:
I hope Comrade Putin rules for another 20 years. He is doing good things for Mother Russia!
Why do English speakers love the phrase "Mother Russia " so much? Real Russians don't use this phrase nearly as often as English speakers trying to show some Russian sentiment do.

Real Rusians usually say отециство which means "Fatherland".

A common feminine way to refer to Russia by Russians would be Родина-мать which means "Birthplace - mother"

Mother Russia is not a common Russian expression, stop using it in English it sounds rather ignorant.
I'm not so sure of this actually.

I don't know where the term comes from but it is used several times in Alexander Werth's Russia at War and he was British-Russian and fully bilingual.

Also in the war song пришел приказ there's the term "Россия-мать" but I think that's the only instance I've seen it being used.

By the way, the correct spelling is отечество

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
Mage said:
PharaohRa said:
I hope Comrade Putin rules for another 20 years. He is doing good things for Mother Russia!
Why do English speakers love the phrase "Mother Russia " so much? Real Russians don't use this phrase nearly as often as English speakers trying to show some Russian sentiment do.

A common feminine way to refer to Russia by Russians would be Родина-мать which means "Birthplace - mother"

Mother Russia is not a common Russian expression, stop using it in English it sounds rather ignorant.
So you're saying the Red Alert and C&C series is fiction?

:mindblown:

AManLikePutin

Kingfisher
Russian man loses his wife and three children in the Kemerovo fire....NATO-mouthpiece, often quoted by MSM "International Affairs expert" posts a screenshot of the man saying someting in supporting Russia in of Crimea back in 2014, as if that means the man deserved to have her family die such a horrible death.

Then, these are the vile scum that want to lecture Russian people on evil and lack of morality of Putin. Absolute cretins...

Speaking of Kemerovo, it really is horrible. I have a local friend there and hearing first hand stories of the sorrow and mood around the city and so many children dead is tragic. I won't rule out act of arson or even a terrorist attack, considering the exit doors were locked and fire alarm wasn't activated. Really hope be it negligence or pure act of evil/terror, the perpetrators see justice. Putin commented: "What’s happening here? This isn’t war, it’s not a spontaneous methane outburst. People came to relax, children. We’re talking about demography and losing so many people. Why? Because of some criminal negligence, because of slovenliness. How could this ever happen? One doesn't want to cry, but wail. ”

No one believes the Skripal story. Among the ordinary people.

I've been doing some light research on British newspapers and each of them has people calling it false flag etc on Facebook. No one believes it. Only the media elites.

Of course such a Facebook sample isn't scientific but it is telling that you can't find support anywhere.

The people simply don't believe it and the elites might miscalculate their ability to propagandize. If they do want to push onwards with their agenda, then they do so against the will of the people, making them show their colors as tyrannical government.

Mage

Foolsgo1d said:
So you're saying the Red Alert and C&C series is fiction?
I don't know, I prefer Starcraft.

SamuelBRoberts said:
That's actually really interesting to know.

Do Russians call each other "Comrade" though?
Quite often, but only in a joking, non-serius manner.

Gopnik said:
By the way, the correct spelling is отечество
You are right - altrough I have been speaking Russian since age of 5, I have never learned it school and I have never had a need to write in Russian, so my writing would be full of mistakes and I am writing just how the word sounds to me. In Eastern Europe altrough Russian is the most common foregin language used on street, non-russian schools would teach English primarily, then German, then Franch and only then maybe Russian.

AManLikePutin said:
Russian man loses his wife and three children in the Kemerovo fire....NATO-mouthpiece, often quoted by MSM "International Affairs expert" posts a screenshot of the man saying someting in supporting Russia in of Crimea back in 2014, as if that means the man deserved to have her family die such a horrible death.

Then, these are the vile scum that want to lecture Russian people on evil and lack of morality of Putin. Absolute cretins...
Regarding Kemorovo fire tragedy - with the official confirmed dead count being 67 people, rumors have been spread to say that the official dead count is from 300 to 400 people. These rumors accuse of authoroties hiding the true amount of victims to save face. The people have been agitated and angry and confused. Some fear that this tragedy hasn't ended and that riots might follow.

I have serious doubts about the rumors of victim count being significantly larger then officially reported. I doubt Russian government could be so foolish to even attempt to hide 200+ more victims. It obviously can't work in age of social media. This is most probably western campaign to raise Russian infamy even more. But the western media is so eager to believe that Russian government is lying that they break news in a way that a reader is almost sure about there being 300+ victims. This so unfair to just assume a certain scenario when less then 72 hours from the incident have passed and people are still working on digging out remains and examining what happened and nothing is certain yet. It's pretty gross how this domestic tragedy is being used ro make a political point.

As far as is known almost everybody made it out of the shopping mall alive except people who were locked in cinema rooms. There seems to have been a practice to lock cinema rom doors after the movie starts to free up personal and prohibit people without tickets entering. This is a crude and inhumane method of controlling income by removing customer freedom and safety and the administration that came up with this should be held responsible to fullest extent.

Richard Turpin

Kingfisher
nomadbrah said:

I've been doing some light research on British newspapers and each of them has people calling it false flag etc on Facebook. No one believes it. Only the media elites.

Of course such a Facebook sample isn't scientific but it is telling that you can't find support anywhere.

The people simply don't believe it and the elites might miscalculate their ability to propagandize. If they do want to push onwards with their agenda, then they do so against the will of the people, making them show their colors as tyrannical government.
Nobody believes anything the media say anymore in the UK. Within my office, about a third (mostly sheep) think 'it was Russians', the rest think 'it could have been the Russians, but it could just as easily have been our own government'. But nobody really gives a shit; the grass is green, the sky is blue, spies die ...

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Mage said:
As far as is known almost everybody made it out of the shopping mall alive except people who were locked in cinema rooms. There seems to have been a practice to lock cinema rom doors after the movie starts to free up personal and prohibit people without tickets entering. This is a crude and inhumane method of controlling income by removing customer freedom and safety and the administration that came up with this should be held responsible to fullest extent.
An additional motivation is also to prevent moviegoers from "smuggling in" food and drinks from outside the theater. It's a despicable practice on its own already, but if it led to these deaths then whomever was responsible for it needs to be put away in a gulag forever. They literally put the value of a few Twix bars above dozens of human lives.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
I don't know where the term comes from but it is used several times in Alexander Werth's Russia at War
I remember Tom Clancy using the term rodina (родина) quite a bit, either in Hunt for Red October (it's even in the movie theme's lyrics) or Cardinal of the Kremlin. I read those about 25-30 years ago...Still it stuck in the mind.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
Sealed fire exits and fire alarms turned off is not unique to Russia. I find the dehumanising of Russians because its flavour of the month to hate Russia as a whole is worrying and should be resisted.

This has embarassed Russia and Putin so the ones found responsible will receive harsh punishment.

PharaohRa

Kingfisher
Mage said:
PharaohRa said:

The reason why we English speakers like the phrase Mother Russia so much is because it is catchy and we say it jokingly with a sign of favoritism (and respect).
Also, every culture, represented by a country and language has their own catchphrases as well and even though some of them might sound a little weird, I usually make sure I attempt to understand how it is used and derived before making judgment. Perhaps you should better understand English phrases and common sayings before shooting your mouth off and looking like you have no idea with respect to what you are talking about!

Mage

PharaohRa said:
The reason why we English speakers like the phrase Mother Russia so much is because it is catchy and we say it jokingly with a sign of favoritism (and respect).
Also, every culture, represented by a country and language has their own catchphrases as well and even though some of them might sound a little weird, I usually make sure I attempt to understand how it is used and derived before making judgment. Perhaps you should better understand English phrases and common sayings before shooting your mouth off and looking like you have no idea with respect to what you are talking about!
lol, someone got bitter and has no sense of humor.

I have perfect understanding how English speakers adopt this phrase for jokes and favoritism, but no doubt some other English speakers really think Russians speak like that because of that adopted phrase. I just wanted to say how Russians really speak so that English speakers would have a more accurate picture then their own jokes.

You know what Russians also think about Westerners - that they find outrage in the most ridiculous things.

PharaohRa

Kingfisher
Mage said:
PharaohRa said:
lol, someone got bitter and has no sense of humor.

I have perfect understanding how English speakers adopt this phrase for jokes and favoritism, but no doubt some other English speakers really think Russians speak like that because of that adopted phrase. I just wanted to say how Russians really speak so that English speakers would have a more accurate picture then their own jokes.

You know what Russians also think about Westerners - that they find outrage in the most ridiculous things.
Bitter, no. Does it get a bit tiresome having to explain things over and over again?? You bet!

And yes, it is true that Westerners find outrage in the most ridiculous of things, it all depends on what those things are!

PharaohRa

Kingfisher
nomadbrah said:

If that Skripal story isn't a false flag, then I don't know what is! Why the elite keep on pushing the Russia spiel, I have no idea!

PharaohRa said:
nomadbrah said:

If that Skripal story isn't a false flag, then I don't know what is! Why the elite keep on pushing the Russia spiel, I have no idea!
Speaking of which, the Russian ambassador to UK just came out and said what everyone else has been thinking: that the British intel agencies are responsible for this false flag.

MOVSM

Pelican
Gold Member

MOVSM

Pelican
Gold Member
Curious:

Show Trial Ends in Acquittal for Russian Activist Yuri Alexeyevich Dmitriev

Why would the state go to such trouble for what is clearly, well, a show trial? It is no accident, comrades.

Dmitriev, longtime head of the Memorial Society's Karelian branch, has spent decades searching for the unnamed graves of Stalin-era victims. (Memorial, a human rights group, was founded in 1992 to research the history of the Gulag and other totalitarian crimes in the Soviet Union and neighboring countries.) In 1988, as aide to a Duma member, he was on the scene when an execution site was uncovered. Most people involved wanted to cover it up and pretend it wasn't there, but the politician for whom Dmitriev was working agreed to his insistence that they were human beings who should be properly buried.

Yuri Dmitriev became, if he hadn't been before, a constant reminder of the crimes of the Soviet state. This, say some of his allies and friends, is why some person or persons decided he had to be discredited, and monstrous charges were fabricated and brought against him. There was a rapid reaction: Some 40,000 people signed a petition supporting his release, and Memorial declared that he was being held as a political prisoner. The U.S. State Department expressed "concern" about "what appear to be politically-motivated criminal charges" against him.

polar

Pelican
Gold Member
Hang the bankers said:
PharaohRa said:
nomadbrah said:

Speaking of which, the Russian ambassador to UK just came out and said what everyone else has been thinking: that the British intel agencies are responsible for this false flag.
The political back-and-forth is amusing to watch - from a distance. Regardless of the truth, it's the job of the Russian ambassadors, foreign affairs ministers, etc. to go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and point fingers every which way. Admitting guilt only invites more consequences.

Some Kremlin-watchers are reading this assassination as a signal from Putin to the elites, particularly in the security services, i.e., "you'll never be safe if you defect". From that POV, this is simply realpolitik at work, but not a sign of strength.

Opposition media claim that a number of those killed under suspicious circumstances were directly involved in investigating Putin's rise to power and alleged corrupt schemes in the 90s - for instance, Berezovsky was playing against criminals and affiliates of Putin in various corrupt schemes, from skimming off contracts, to "protection" rackets at various ports and laundering money for drug imports by the Cali cartel. Litvinenko was investigating Putin's ties to organized crime. Scot Young allegedly helped Berezovsky launder money from his ill-gotten gains, and learned too much. etc. From this POV, Russia is a state run by criminals - literally - who'll stop at nothing in efforts to keep their reputations clean.

Buzzfeed has a fascinating seven-part series on this, involving the dizzying rise to success of various players, fast cars, Dubai whores, competing interests, mafia, etc. Probably a better read than whatever's on the NYT bestseller list these days:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/poison-in-the-system

Perhaps the most surprising of these is the murder of Mikhail Lesin, who was "in" with Putin, created a TV advertising monopolist in Russia, and founded RT, then was found murdered in a DC hotel, possibly just before he was supposed to meet with US government investigators. In other words, his past close relations with Putin didn't help him.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasonleopold/putins-media-czar-was-murdered-just-before-meeting-feds