The Wheel of Time adaptation on Amazon Prime Video

cosine

Robin
Anyone ever read the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan?

It's a fantasy series sort of like the Lord of the Rings.

A boy and his friends from a small mountain town leave, get chased by orc-like things and eventually he realizes that he's a messianic figure. All sorts of magic and etc is used.

Of course, the Amazon Prime show decided to take half the characters and make them brown or black. They made the small, insular mountain town perfectly multiracial, even though it's in medieval times. They all have interracial marriages, and there's no explanation for how blacks, asians, whites, all ended up in a little medieval town perfectly happy.

Any time I've been to a small town in the mountains like this, I hear, "I have at least 500 years of Bavarian heritage" or something similar.

Seraphim

Chicken
Orthodox
I grew up on Wheel of Time. It was my transition series from childish stuff like Harry Potter to more adult reading. It still holds a place in my heart and I still read through the series on occasion when I feel the need for a good fantasy hit.

I saw the trailer and it angered me, for the very reasons you mention. I recently cancelled my Bezos membership so I can’t watch the series, but frankly I don’t want to. The trailer was enough for me to determine that they intended to ruin a wonderful piece of my past.

Like you say, in small mountain towns, the culture is naturally very insular. This is true in real life and it is especially true in the Two Rivers. Emond’s Field (and the Two Rivers broadly) is meant to resemble a sort of fantasized medieval England, much like the Shire. (In fact, as I understand it, Jordan intended the Two Rivers and the plot of the Eye of the World to significantly resemble LOTR in order to capture the attention of the fantasy purists of the day). So in my head-canon, Emond’s Fielders should all look basically Anglo-Saxon. It doesn’t bother me that they used an Asian guy for Lan because Malkier is supposed to be Asian-like. But to populate a British Isle stand-in with a bunch of browns and blacks was enough to show me they cared more for optics than for telling the story that I grew up on. And that is to say nothing of how they decided to portray the Male/Female One Power dynamic.

But really, how could I expect any different from a media company in 2021? Every cultural edifice must after all be either demolished or subverted. Those of us who are fans of Wheel of Time should just be glad it took them this long. Game of Thrones got that treatment years ago.

cosine

Robin
Fair point. If the producers made the main cast primarily white, they'd be either likely or certainly criticized/punished for making another all-white production.

I agree that Lan being Asian is fine. The Aiel seemed light-skinned middle eastern, modeled after the Fremen in Dune. Both follow certain elements of historical Islam, like the zealot and messianic tendencies. If I remember, people in Tear or Ilian are dark middle eastern.

Both Robert Jordan and Frank Herbert were worldly people who included a variety of fascinating, "diverse" characters, but without leaving grips on reality.

Also, in the show, Perrin is married to a female blacksmith who works evenings.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Anyone ever read the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan?

It's a fantasy series sort of like the Lord of the Rings.

A boy and his friends from a small mountain town leave, get chased by orc-like things and eventually he realizes that he's a messianic figure. All sorts of magic and etc is used.

Of course, the Amazon Prime show decided to take half the characters and make them brown or black. They made the small, insular mountain town perfectly multiracial, even though it's in medieval times. They all have interracial marriages, and there's no explanation for how blacks, asians, whites, all ended up in a little medieval town perfectly happy.

Any time I've been to a small town in the mountains like this, I hear, "I have at least 500 years of Bavarian heritage" or something similar.
Obviously anything that Amazon makes will be absolutely disgusting, but to be fair, I have never been a fan of Wheel of Time. It always struck me as a derivative of LOTR/Star Wars with different location names, without anything interesting or new added to the genre.

Seraphim

Chicken
Orthodox
Also, in the show, Perrin is married to a female blacksmith who works evenings.
My goodness, really? How are they going wave their hands and make the absolutely massive plot point of Perrin’s marriage to Faile come about? Is Perrin’s “wife” just going to die on Winternight and he’ll be a widow until book 4? Ridiculous.

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Gold Member
My goodness, really? How are they going wave their hands and make the absolutely massive plot point of Perrin’s marriage to Faile come about? Is Perrin’s “wife” just going to die on Winternight and he’ll be a widow until book 4? Ridiculous.
Of course not, this is Amazon after all. They will end up being in a "thruple". Get with the times troglodyte.

Enoch

Hummingbird
I grew up on Wheel of Time. It was my transition series from childish stuff like Harry Potter to more adult reading. It still holds a place in my heart and I still read through the series on occasion when I feel the need for a good fantasy hit.

I saw the trailer and it angered me, for the very reasons you mention. I recently cancelled my Bezos membership so I can’t watch the series, but frankly I don’t want to. The trailer was enough for me to determine that they intended to ruin a wonderful piece of my past.

Like you say, in small mountain towns, the culture is naturally very insular. This is true in real life and it is especially true in the Two Rivers. Emond’s Field (and the Two Rivers broadly) is meant to resemble a sort of fantasized medieval England, much like the Shire. (In fact, as I understand it, Jordan intended the Two Rivers and the plot of the Eye of the World to significantly resemble LOTR in order to capture the attention of the fantasy purists of the day). So in my head-canon, Emond’s Fielders should all look basically Anglo-Saxon. It doesn’t bother me that they used an Asian guy for Lan because Malkier is supposed to be Asian-like. But to populate a British Isle stand-in with a bunch of browns and blacks was enough to show me they cared more for optics than for telling the story that I grew up on. And that is to say nothing of how they decided to portray the Male/Female One Power dynamic.

But really, how could I expect any different from a media company in 2021? Every cultural edifice must after all be either demolished or subverted. Those of us who are fans of Wheel of Time should just be glad it took them this long. Game of Thrones got that treatment years ago.
I read those in my teenage years. I am fuzzy enough to not remember how far they are straying from the plot, but 3 episodes in have been entertained so far. I am wondering how they will handle male channelers wrecking the girl power Aes Sedai and the other "misogynistic" components of this series.